Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Bad Boy - a commuter's view

I've had my Bad Boy 8 just over a week now, and I thought I'd share my thoughts so far. I commuted on it three days last week, and again yesterday - a total so far of 84 miles and just over 5200 ft of climbing. The bike was bought on the cycle to work scheme, and replaces an aging CAAD 5 road bike which I've used on and off over the last year or so. The Bad Boy has performed well so far, it is certainly more comfortable to ride than the CAAD, with none of the lower back pain I'd been suffering on the older bike - that said I didn't like the look of the standard saddle so I replaced it with a trusty SDG Bel Air. The Alfine hub is smooth, quiet, and shifts nicely, although it has a much shorter top gear than the 105 equipped bike it's replaced. For my journey this is not a problem, as there are relatively few "flat out" sections of my commute. The Kojak tyres seem to grip well, even coping with the two-inch-thick layer of mud and slurry I had to ride through on my way home yesterday...nice. The lefty is incredibly stiff, as expected, and the frame seems to have the right balance of comfort and feel. All in all I'm very happy, and as I intend to ride all winter, at least three days / 63 miles per week, I reckon the lack of derailleurs etc. will save me loads of cleaning, adjusting and heartache over the coming months.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Patrick1964 | 14 years ago
0 likes

I plan to fit a crudguard type of guard to the downtube, good enough for my MTB so should be fine for the 'dale. No issues with the rear of course, plenty of options there.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Lack of any mudguard fittings is what rules out for me any of the Bad Boys as commuting bikes.

purplecup | 14 years ago
0 likes

can you fit a mudguard to a lefty fork? just wondering, if you're going to be out all winter  39

I've heard some good and some bad reports about the alfine hub - that it's easy to use and maintain and feels efficient for a hub gear, but can be a bit vague in the shifts. you've not had any problems with it though, sounds like.

I'm thinking about my next commuter bike and i definitely want a hub gear, wondering whether i need an eight or whether i could get away with a SA 5 speed or a nexus 3...

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Patrick, anyone else got a new bike they'd like to tell us about, or even more of a long termer?

Latest Comments