Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Clear glasses recommendation...

My trusty Oakley M-Frames bounced out of my jersey during on the weekend  2

Any recommendations for a replacement, Ideally one which is low fog, and stands up to significant amounts of wear & tear and general abuse.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

lukea-d | 10 years ago
0 likes

There are loads of decent looking saftey glasses. I've been using a pair for over two years and they seem indestructible. Have a look at this google search for examples:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=saftey+glasses&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.mi...

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got the Scott interchangeable ones. They come with a reflective/sun lense and a clear version. They work in pretty much all conditions. I've never actually carried both lenses with me on my rides, but you could, which would certainly help if you hit large areas of sun/shaded sections.

Cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have just seen those Bolle Bandidos for £2.99WTF....then on another site for 50 notes??? One was an electrical site the other a health and safety site!!!

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

being of the "optically challenged" sector I use Rudy Project ... Rydon in
my case so I have prescription insert + multiple lenses for all weathers.
My insert even has the now much needed varifocal addition ...  1

Cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

For commuting, over the last year I have been using Aldi specials £3.99 3 lens set clear tinted and yellow. Look good and not got a scratch on them after 12 months with 10 commutes per week on average. Bloody awesome to be honest. They still stock them I saw them a couple of days ago.

For everything else I have photochromatic lens spiuks. Can't beat these type of lenses IMO.

IanW1968 | 10 years ago
0 likes

B&Q have some that look like the Bolles above, clear, yellow or dark £4.99.

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

For the first time in nearly 20 years I am Oakleyless.

Sold both my pairs in the run up to Christmas as I needed cash.

Having used them and ridden in them for years I was under the impression that they were completely beyond recognition as the best. That may still be true but I am not sure that with a young family I could ever justify the cost any more.

I dont like the new M frames that have been leaked to the internet so not fussed about what I have next.

BBB anyone?

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wear Bolle 'Bandido' all year around, very little need for actual sunglasses in the UK, works day and night. Just keep the wind and bugs out of my eyes. No frames blocking vision, very cheap as already suggested, so no worry about scratches or breaking. Imagine you are Bono.

Clay Stevens (not verified) replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sounds great glasses. Where do you buy it?  16

Leviathan replied to Clay Stevens | 10 years ago
0 likes
Clay Stevens wrote:

Sounds great glasses. Where do you buy it?  16

ebay, of course.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=bolle+bandido&_sop=15

matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Bollé safety glasses. Available in clear or tinted, under a tenner.

tourdelound | 10 years ago
0 likes

if you haven't been to Screwfix yet, you may want to consider a pair of JSP Martcare Sports Clear Lens Safety Specs, (phew!)

Not a very catchy name, but for £4.99 you can't go wrong really. I got these last year to use during the winter months and they are excellent.

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

Top stuff! looks like I've got to pick up more wood for the fire later so whilst I'm out I'm going to drop in Screwfix...as per some above it looks like you can get bolle/uvex types for under a tenner!

Has to be worth a shot

NigelSign | 10 years ago
0 likes

Try straight lines.co.uk. They are safety glasses, in clear, yellow or dark. You can even have a prescription lense fitted for those of us that need reading help. Cost? About £8.00 pair I use them all year and they look like cycle specific glasses

Swami Dave | 10 years ago
0 likes

These have been excellent and only a tenner:

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/cycling-glasses-sunglasses.html

Dr_Lex | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use Bollé safety glasses - tinted, clear or anti-flash - from work, but plenty on eBay/ Amazon or Screwfix/Toolstation for £7 a pair. No tears when get broken/scratched/lost.

weenyd replied to Dr_Lex | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got a pair of the Bolle's from a local electrical wholesaler, cheap as chips and look a little bit like the Assos ones (minus the £280).

TheGrupetto | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've had Oakleys for years and not averse to retail therapy for cycling must haves, but having lost / scratched / mislaid / left in the Carradice on the other bike, I bought several pairs of cheap safety glasses from Amazon that cost c£3-£5 each and they have been perfect for winter commutes, cyclocross, and generally abusing. I think they were by Lux - look OK, too, and they are wrap around, so no issues despite foul weather and mud flinging up.

Strangely never seem to lose or scratch the cheap ones, only the expensive ones.

Shep73 replied to TheGrupetto | 10 years ago
0 likes

Had these for nearly 3 years. Only draw backs are that going into shaded sections can be a pain and the sun can glare with the rainbow mirrored lenses.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kuota-Cycling-Glasses-Blue-Frames-5x-lenses-/310512927874

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

You never know they might be feeling the Christmas Spirit!

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ahh was going to say if they were damaged Oakley are decent with out of warranty replacements.
I lost my Radars out my jersey, and they got snapped by a car.
Emailed Oakley and got a new frame (have a few lenses) for £20 inc. Vat!

William Black replied to glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes
glynr36 wrote:

Ahh was going to say if they were damaged Oakley are decent with out of warranty replacements.
I lost my Radars out my jersey, and they got snapped by a car.
Emailed Oakley and got a new frame (have a few lenses) for £20 inc. Vat!

I know they're amazing! I snapped the arms off my 'buckets' (my prescription Oakleys) trying to make them a bit more snug.

Told them and they sent me out a new pair of frames at cost.

I've still got a few pairs of Mumbo lenses so actually might give them a call and see if they can help out, It a long shot but hadn't even thought of that!

0 likes

Halfway through a Mountain Bike race, covered in mud and fogging badly, hastily stuffed them in a jersey pocket finished half blinded and they were not in my jersey.

Scooted back around the course but by that point the mud and a number of riders going over the course meant I couldn't see them...probably would have been run over at least once and knackered anyway.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bounced and damaged or bounced and lost?

0 likes

Sounds like cheap and cheerful is the collective way forward through the muddy winter!

It should give me enough time to save up for Radars for the summer!

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've had some Bloc Leopard glasses which I've been pretty pleased with. They have interchangeable lenses (clear / yellow & dark) and are a good fit for those slightly small of face!

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you need a cheap temporary replacement while you try and find the perfect pair I can highly recommend the ~£20 BBB ones (I got from wiggle) - interchangeable lenses and don't fog at all. Can't remember what they're called but they were around 20-25 quid when I got them.

matty c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got some Lazer Solidstate, good venting and you can get them with transition lenses. Not had a problem with fogging even when stopped.

jason.timothy.jones | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ive switched to the cheeper ones from Decathlon and Lidl/Aldi as they always seem to end up on the ground anyway.

For anti fog you can get the spray from Motor Bike places that works well, but I dont tend to bother as its never a problem for me

Latest Comments