Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shorts through winter

Anyone else planning to stick with their shorts for the daily commute through the winter? I have set myself the challenge of doing so this year.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of Endura Stealth tights, which are very warm, waterproof and a bit stretchy. They are only usable when it is below zero AND it is either raining or snowy. I should have bought the bib-tights because I found I need to use a pair of braces with them. I had to go XL for the length but I can't constrict the waistband small enough for them to stay up!

I think their matching overshoes would work to prevent the shoes filling up.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I like a good breathable and not too baggy pair of waterproof trousers with a bit of give in the knees - wear 'em all the time for commuting in the rain with jeans underneath - take Dave's point about channelling all the rain into your shoes though. For commutes I bring an extra pair of socks and on long rides I wear some waterproof socks which are a superb invention. Serve me well for walking the dog and digging the allotment too.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

i find that waterproof trousers tend to channel the rain quite efficiently into my shoes, so i don't often wear them. baggy 3/4s if it's a bit chilly, knee warmers underneath if it's really cold.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

waterproof trousers? to ride in..sweaty and uncomfortable, jeeez

Mr Sock | 14 years ago
0 likes

sort of

Mr Sock | 14 years ago
0 likes

or buy some ready-made waterproof 3/4s like these http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=133&prod_id=366

And hey, Endura do sponsor a pro road team so you probably could match 'em up with race kit!  13

rocketdoguk | 14 years ago
0 likes

Waterproof trousers from Millets or similar cut down to 3/4 length are ideal for inclement commuting, commuting was what the OP meant I think, not for pseudo racing posers though I expect as they are unavailable to match your trade team kit

DaSy replied to rocketdoguk | 14 years ago
0 likes
rocketdoguk wrote:

Waterproof trousers from Millets or similar cut down to 3/4 length are ideal for inclement commuting, commuting was what the OP meant I think, not for pseudo racing posers though I expect as they are unavailable to match your trade team kit

oooh, get you....

michophull | 14 years ago
0 likes

Jesus upon a velocipede ! Personally, I only wear shorts on their own when it's hot (ie a few days in July). The rest of the year I treat them as underwear.  13

When it comes to tights, I recommend Endura Multi tights:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9295

On exceptionally cold days I'd wear these (and the shorts) as underwear with a pair of Ron Hill Bikesters on top.

jezzzer | 14 years ago
0 likes

i don't own anything but shorts and garish ski-socks. that's seen me through well sub-zero rides around here. not necessarily while looking great, but my legs didn't fall off or anything.

Simon_MacMichael | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tip, DaSy, will do that.

DaSy replied to Simon_MacMichael | 14 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Thanks for the tip, DaSy, will do that.

No problem, here is the relevant bit from their website -

Repair Service

Rapha also offer a repair service on particular returns where a crash or accident has damaged a garment or a failure has occurred after significant usage. This service applies to garments outside the 90 day policy, and where the damage is not due to manufacturing faults. We offer this service free of charge, to all products purchased directly from Rapha. If your item was purchased from one of our retail partners or other sources, please email us on returns [at] rapha.cc for details of the repair service. Please note: repairs can take up to 3 weeks after receiving the returned items.

amazon22 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Endura or dhb, depending on your size. Although dhb's are highly rated, of the two pairs of dhb's tights/3/4's I've bought, one had a large hole in the crutch when I opened the pack and one had a seam split open as I pulled them on (and no I'm not that big). They tend to be slightly undersized compared to Endura. For me its Endura all the way - made for normal sized Brits. I have the FS260 Pro 3/4's (reviewed on this site) which I've worn for most of this year and have just moved into their cheaper but warmer Thermolite 3/4's - great value @ £45 from CRC. Tip - go to Endura site and look at their sizing chart - its accurate - most online sites are still using an old one which is not.

Simon_MacMichael | 14 years ago
0 likes

I wear three-quarters year-round 'cos I don't look great in Lycra  4

Now need to find someone to mend the pair of Rapha fixed shorts I ripped when I came off the bike recently  2

DaSy replied to Simon_MacMichael | 14 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Now need to find someone to mend the pair of Rapha fixed shorts I ripped when I came off the bike recently  2

Send them back to Rapha, they are really good at this sort of thing, and generally charge minimal costs for repairs...

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I agree mikem, I tend to wear three quarters nearly all year round just for that reason - cold mornings aren't good for your knees especially when you haven't warmed up in any way - like ctznsmith I'm usually able to go right through the winter with these and a pair of long socks - mind you, winter is pretty mild in these parts.

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

Been wearing knee warmers for a couple of weeks now reckon it will be tights by end of the month. Harsh cold weather is not good for knees and joints better to cover up.

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

However I'm thinking of investing in a pair of tights of some description this winter as I am going to be riding more than just the commute as I train for RAB 2010

the higher end dhb tights are really good: good quality, not too expensive. likewise the endura ones.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

No, no, no. That's the wrong way round. You need to start wearing your full length warm bibs as soon as possible, and keep wearing them for as long as possible next year. This shows other cyclists that you're finding your riding so easy that you're not even breaking into a sweat.

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

I still only own one pair of shorts (although they are 3/4 length) I got through all of last winter with these combined with a pair of football socks.

However I'm thinking of investing in a pair of tights of some description this winter as I am going to be riding more than just the commute as I train for RAB 2010. Recommend me some!  1

Latest Comments