Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Slippy grit?

I was wondering if anyone's been having traction problems on gritted roads. A mate down in the west country tells me there's a bit of local concern following a few spills and near-misses on recently gritted roads. He's raised the issue on the Chippenham Wheelers' forum and it's rung a bell with several people. They're wondering if there's a new kind of grit being used... I'm in Brighton and have only been out once on gritted roads this year so far...didn't notice anything untoward. But I thought I'd mention it, just in case.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Owen Rogers | 10 years ago
0 likes

It was so slippy the Sunday before last I'm still picking the scabs off my hip and trying to find time to replace the derailleur hanger on my new bike.

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's psycho slippy going out on Woodbury and Dartmoor at the moment. Somebody mentioned it was grit or the additives they put in the salt, I kind of like the bike slipping around a bit, keeps your wits sharp and makes road riding slightly more interesting!

Martin Thomas replied to William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

You're a nutter! (in a good way, obvs)

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

i've had a few sketchy moments but not on roads that would be likely to be gritted. mostly it's the combination of lots of leaves and a dry november meaning they're hanging around longer than they normally would

Martin Thomas | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't you just hate it when people don't check to see if a topic's been covered before posting on a forum? Ahem...my apologies. And thanks for the polite nudge.

tom_w | 10 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments