Home

I've been using Wiggle for online shopping since I can't remember. I ride and my son is a triathlete so I buy not just bike gear but running and swimming gear as well. Whenever anything didn't fit I just sent it back and there never was any problem over all these years. I recently bought a Belgian Style winter hat that I thought would be great as it covers up the ears very well and is waterproof and wind proof. Trouble is it didn't fit. So I sent it back. Then I get an email saying because I tried the hat on they won't replace or refund. I checked the wording and it does say you have to send it back un-used so technically trying it on for size and actually using it means you can't return it. So letter of the law wise they are standing on their policy. But this is new. In the past this hasn't happened. So, anyone else suddenly having problems with Wiggle? Are they in some sort of financial trouble? Or why the sudden jobsworth attitude on returns?

43 comments

Avatar
Shep73 [211 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

This sounds strange, my reason for saying so is that Wiggle donate all returned items to a bike jumble in Tetbury. This includes clothes that had been sent back so they obviously used to refund/replace.

On a side note it's worth a visit, I Paid £35 for a Garmin cadence sensor and a K edge mount.

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've always found them to be touch & go. I've not done any returns with them but sometimes when I've ordered "in stock" items I've had to mail them a few weeks later asking whats going on only to be told "we're waiting for it to come in from the supplier, we don't have a timescale".

In the same breath, though, I've had people apologise profusely for the same or similar problems and issue me a full refund and some vouchers by way of apology!

I'd keep arguing your point (in a friendly way of course!) - I'd say you've probably just got a grumpybum at the other end. As long as the hats got all it's labels etc on and it's in exactly the same condition as it was when you opened the package then it should be fine. Double check their returns policy on hats & accessories too it might be a case of that's just what they do.

Avatar
DanTe [190 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I had exactly the same set of circumstances with a pair of pricey Gore bibs. They eventually did go back but not without a struggle.
The struggle I had with Wiggle revolved around the wash/not wash returned clothing. One guy said wash it, the other said you can't have your cash back because you've washed it.
I still use Wiggle but nowhere as much as I did.
They have to be careful as a faceless organisation as I've heard lots of similar complaints.

Recently I've had extremely good customer service from Chain Reaction in a situation that could quite reasonably of gone the other way.
Also exceptional no questions asked service on the return of a cracked Ksyrium Elite to Merlin Cycles.

Avatar
dave atkinson [6258 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

under the distance selling regulations you have a duty of care as a consumer to take reasonable care of goods but a retailer can't insist that a product is returned new and unopened. That's a breach of the regulations. it doesn't matter what their 'policy' is

Avatar
mrmo [2093 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Odd, ordered a pair of swimming costumes for the SO, both tried on and both got sent back refunded with no questions?

Avatar
Rockplough [11 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Sent back a Sugoi jersey just recently due to it being crap quality and a poor fit. No quibbles from Wiggle on that occasion.

Avatar
Chuck [568 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I imagine they might quibble if they think something's been used in anger rather than just tried on. Never had any problems returning clothes myself.

Avatar
oozaveared [945 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
DanTe wrote:

I had exactly the same set of circumstances with a pair of pricey Gore bibs. They eventually did go back but not without a struggle.
The struggle I had with Wiggle revolved around the wash/not wash returned clothing. One guy said wash it, the other said you can't have your cash back because you've washed it.
I still use Wiggle but nowhere as much as I did.
They have to be careful as a faceless organisation as I've heard lots of similar complaints.

Recently I've had extremely good customer service from Chain Reaction in a situation that could quite reasonably of gone the other way.
Also exceptional no questions asked service on the return of a cracked Ksyrium Elite to Merlin Cycles.

Well yes. That why I think there must have been a change of policy or something. I have sent loads of stiff back in the past including some Gore 3/4 waist tights. They just refunded and not a murmur. And they don't just go on your head either.

Avatar
jmaccelari [249 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've just returned some winter gloves (last week) with no hassles and very prompt service.

Avatar
Nixster [320 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've returned loads of stuff to the extent that I've taken to ordering items in more than one size and more than one brand to get the right fit. I've always found them both prompt and courteous in response to queries.

Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however  3

Avatar
Chuck [568 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Nixster wrote:

Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however  3

If it makes you feel any better, I got 2 with my last one  3

Avatar
drfabulous0 [409 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

Wiggle? Are they in some sort of financial trouble?

It's the bike trade, it's winter.

Avatar
LeDomestique [34 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've found Wiggle excellent on returns. I recently sent back a Castelli vest that the zip failed on after I had owned it for eight months but not actually worn much. They changed it immediately no questions asked. They've done the same with anything else I've sent back. I'd rate them oustsrtanding on service.

Avatar
Topcat [33 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

Odd, ordered a pair of swimming costumes for the SO, both tried on and both got sent back refunded with no questions?

That's a result, no retailer has to accept swimwear or underwear back. Even the distance selling regulations provide an exemption for items like this. It's good to see retailers using a bit of common sense.

Avatar
Joeinpoole [441 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I find the interweb is too much trouble for clothing. Better to use your LBS where you can try the stuff on before you buy. Probably just as cheap as you only buy what you actually like and no return postage costs. Only exception for me is when I'm buying a second/third item of something I already own.

Avatar
youngoldbloke [112 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Trouble is your LBS just won't have the range, or the sizes. Anyway most LBSs are one brand boutiques IME. I have ordered more than one size of an item from Wiggle in the past, tried them one, returned (FOC) one (or all) with no problem. Never a hat, however  3

Avatar
Jimmy Ray Will [514 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

People really do want the moon on a stick. Trade prices for all, delivery in two days, use and return with no questions. Us cyclists have it good, so blinking good right now, and I'm sure we will all cry foul in a few years time when there's only half a dozen retailers left, the prices are at full rrp, the ranges available narrowed... This industry is killing itself.

I'll ask a question... Why use wiggle or chain reaction? What do they do that makes you give them your money? They're rarely the cheapest, rarely the fastest to process, what is it? Why are we all so keen to pay these giants who are holding the industry to ransom?

Avatar
Goldfever4 [225 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:
Nixster wrote:

Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however  3

If it makes you feel any better, I got 2 with my last one  3

I got an order on Thursday, no haribo too! Wiggle not feeling the Christmas spirit apparently....

Avatar
Giles Pargiter [64 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Must say Jimmy I don't find that remark very fair. I have never really used Wiggle (yet) but Chain reaction have been superb.
I have in the past ordered things from them late in the afternoon and by 10am the following day recieved them by their normal free delivery service - on more than one occasion. I think they must have a van and ferry waiting to immediately despatch my orders  1 .

Also for many items I do find them cheap. I do not make a habit of ordering things just to see if they fit as some posting here seem to (meaure twice - fits first time) However on one order that was wrongly listed they resent another item immediately, on another occasion when they really did make a b**ls up (1x3metre is not the same as 3x1metre) they ended up showering me with gifts that they knew were relevant to me from my order history and telling me to keep the mis-supplied goods.

Avatar
abudhabiChris [692 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've officially stopped using Wiggle after utterly crap customer service, and if you ask my wife she would probably tell you that would be enough to provoke serious financial trouble for them.

A few months ago I ordered an entire groupset - Campagnolo Record and Super Record, so not cheap - to be sent to Dubai by courier to my office address.

We don't have a postal delivery system in the UAE so anything with an office or home address literally has no way of getting there by anything other than courier.

Wiggle sent some of it but then I got the message that the chainset was not in stock and would be sent later, and it stated specifically that it would be sent by the selected delivery method.

Then they went and sent it by regular post. I told them it could never arrive but they said I had to wait a month to see. Utterly pointless.

Despite many emails they refused to send a replacement by courier, claiming that somewhere in their user T&Cs it says that delayed shipments may be sent by normal post. The customer service was scripted with many apologies and claims of understanding my frustration but no actual practical help.

All my business since then has gone to Ribble or Chain Reaction.

Why do I use online. Usually because it is something I can't get in the UAE, or because it is cheaper online even including VAT. We have some bike stores and I support them where I can but there's a lot of stuff they don't carry because the market just isn't big enough.

Avatar
eurotrash [88 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

I'll ask a question... Why use wiggle or chain reaction? What do they do that makes you give them your money? They're rarely the cheapest, rarely the fastest to process, what is it? Why are we all so keen to pay these giants who are holding the industry to ransom?

I buy most my stuff from Wiggle. Why? Originally because they were the cheapest around for the items I was looking at, but my experiences with them have always been positive - fast shipping (receive 2-3 days after placing order), and no problems returning items. Returns are dead easy (and free) with Collect+. And they have a good range of items. So I keep shopping with them. And when I want to buy something that's cheaper elsewhere, I get them to price match it. When they once sent me an incorrect item, they had me send it back with Collect+ and send them a photo of the C+ receipt, after which they sent me the correct item the same day. So, consistently good experiences plus the cheapest prices around (with price match when necessary) = I will keep shopping there.

Avatar
bendertherobot [1274 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Trying something on isn't using it. Hell, Wiggle even give you the option of "admitting it" given that one of the options is "Doesn't fit."

So, this sounds very odd. Did you remove the labels? Did you actually use it? It does;t add up. I've returned loads of things, never an issue. I've even returned a pair of Gore bib tights once because, in my view, they were not cold weather tights as described (and I had used them).

Avatar
Metjas [362 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

They're rarely the cheapest, rarely the fastest to process, what is it?

in my experience, they often are the cheapest and certainly quick to process and deliver. I've ordered lots of stuff for many years from Wiggle and always compare with the competition. Their customer service is excellent, I've never had an issue sending back unused or faulty stuff.

Avatar
dunnoh [199 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

A chap I know ordered a bike from them and they sent the wrong size. It took a couple of weeks to sort it out - he had to wait for them to get it, inspect it and send out a replacement - leaving him without wheels. Thought that was a little off as it was their mistake. My Sportful no rain bibs let rain in after one wear and they offered to take them back and test them - not replace them. I liked them though and thought sod it, I will have wet legs!

Still use Wiggle though, just not for clothes anymore!

Avatar
Al'76 [110 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Not sure, think they might be evolving into the Halfords of online cycling retailing (I appreciate Halfords have a website..it's just an analogy [even if slightly flawed]). They're not the cheapest, they seem to try very hard to avoid allowing you to use their price matching policy and the customer service ain't great. The staff manning the Live Chat service aren't particularly knowledgeable and they're slow to respond to e-mail enquiries.
Liking Merlin and Hargroves a lot - great prices / responsive customer services; the attributes that Wiggle used to have!

Avatar
glynr36 [637 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Never had any troubles with wiggle.
Cheapest usually for me, either with Platinum discount, or I use the price match on a very regular basis (which I've never had issues with), if I think I'm between sizes I order the two and the other goes back, ticking the it doesn't fit box.
Couldn't ask for more.
Where as the LBS's here that sell gear(none are really locals though as it's an Evans or Cycle surgery) are full of surly shop assistants who don't really want to help, or don't know. Don't have it in stock in my size or the colour I want, might be able to get one in on the next delivery they have which is 6 days away and I then have to return to the shop to get it.

Avatar
ajmarshal1 [417 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Some of the terrible and often conflicting responses to the item Q&A on there ensures I'm very careful with what I buy from them. That said, any order I've made has always turned up quickly and has always been correct.

I am still waiting on a bottom bracket I ordered from them last monday though.  39

Avatar
3cylinder [95 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've never had a quibble with Wiggle's customer service. I've also used the "buy several and send back the ones that don't fit" and never had any problem, this includes my wife trying about five different trisuits for fit. This would always be tags in though. Personally I think if I've used something in anger and then don't like it then it's my problem (assuming it isn't faulty). I'll sell stuff on ebay in that situation.

As to why use an online retailer, it's simply a question of time. I can order stuff from Wiggle anytime I like, whereas my LBS is pretty much only open when I'm at work. I try and make the effort to support a local business for stuff like bikes, but small stuff is too much hassle.

Wiggle keep me in Haribo and electrolyte tablets too

Avatar
Nixster [320 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Al'76 wrote:

Not sure, think they might be evolving into the Halfords of online cycling retailing (I appreciate Halfords have a website....

I think there is something in this - I think the big H has rattled them a bit. I still find Wiggle more convenient though if not necessarily cheaper.

Can the person who received my Haribo in error please pm them to me  4

Avatar
southseabythesea [150 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

They're usually pretty good at returning items, let's face it, you have to try something on before you know if it fits or not. I sent back a wetsuit once because it was too small, it was more than the hair on my head that came into contact with that! Persist with your complaint, Wiggle are usually reasonable chaps.

Pages