Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is Wiggle in some sort of trouble?

I've been using Wiggle for online shopping since I can't remember. I ride and my son is a triathlete so I buy not just bike gear but running and swimming gear as well. Whenever anything didn't fit I just sent it back and there never was any problem over all these years. I recently bought a Belgian Style winter hat that I thought would be great as it covers up the ears very well and is waterproof and wind proof. Trouble is it didn't fit. So I sent it back. Then I get an email saying because I tried the hat on they won't replace or refund. I checked the wording and it does say you have to send it back un-used so technically trying it on for size and actually using it means you can't return it. So letter of the law wise they are standing on their policy. But this is new. In the past this hasn't happened. So, anyone else suddenly having problems with Wiggle? Are they in some sort of financial trouble? Or why the sudden jobsworth attitude on returns?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

harrybav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Distance selling regs are very clear that you are allowed to try the item on as you might in a shop. You are allowed to remove it from packaging and if that cannot be done without damaging packaging, this is not your problem - again the distance selling regs are clear on this point.

Also, re the previous poster mentioning swimwear, this falls under the clause about goods which by reason of their nature cannot be returned".It is vague, says the oft guidance, but might apply to items that cannot be tried without becoming distorted, but does not apply to earrings etc as the law doesn't link returnability with re-sellability. I think you'd argue that swimwear is designed to not become distorted. Worth a small claim letter if necessary, for fun!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

bauchlebastart | 10 years ago
0 likes

To the OP
I think under the distance selling regulations Wiggle cannot refuse to refund you for the hat. Assuming of course you sent it back within the specified time.

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If it's big/expensive I will buy it from my LBS, Hargroves have looked after me anyway and I get a good discount now. They have saved me a fortune on both my bikes and the free mechanical support when need has been brilliant. They even sent some Altura shorts back for me that I bought from an online store. They got them tested and sent back.

My gears were sticking on my new road bike I had bought there, turned out it was my electrolyte drink, it had leaked out my bottle and got into the cables. They replaced cables, cleaned and polished the bike and refused to take a penny. Not the first time they have got me out of trouble and I have never been charged for any work done. But I didn't expect a freebie for something that was my fault.

Admittedly I have spent a lot of money in there but I have saved a fair bit as well.

carlgrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've sent a few things back to Wiggle over the years, always without problem. My Garmin edge 500 died a death last year and I was delighted to discover I'd only had it for 11 and a half months. i went through the online return process and without a word of complaint I had a brand new one 4 days later. I really can't fault service like that. No company can get it absolutely right 100% of the time but for me, they come pretty close.

drfabulous0 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Chain Reaction regularly have stuff for less than trade. A couple of weeks ago Merlin were selling DA groupsets at £300 below trade. Do you really expect the LBS to pay £300 more than they have to for it?

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

Name and shame!

I have suspected that of a couple of bikeshops to be honest

Cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

I stopped using my LBS when I went into get a part and he said he would just check stock on the PC and I saw the reflection in the window behind him, the page was....... Chain reaction!!!!!!
Then he told me he didn't have one in stock but would order one in. I said don't worry I can look on CR myself thanks. Not been back since.

I have used halfords cycle website: I got a pair of sportful norain arm-warmers for 50% less than everyone else! you just can't justify purchasing items from LBS when there are deals like that going on, no matter how much you would like to use them.

Matt eaton replied to Cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes
Cyclist wrote:

I stopped using my LBS when I went into get a part and he said he would just check stock on the PC and I saw the reflection in the window behind him, the page was....... Chain reaction!!!!!!
Then he told me he didn't have one in stock but would order one in. I said don't worry I can look on CR myself thanks. Not been back since.

I have used halfords cycle website: I got a pair of sportful norain arm-warmers for 50% less than everyone else! you just can't justify purchasing items from LBS when there are deals like that going on, no matter how much you would like to use them.

I think lots of shops use Chain at times. If you go in and ask for something specific and they don't have an account with the relevant distributor its easier for them just to source from Chain at retail price (usually the low end of retail price) to sell on to you at minimal mark-up. To be fair I can see why they do this as the way the cycle industry is structured means that only the big players can have accounts with all the distros. A small local shop will not have the funds to open acounts with all of the distributers nor space to stock products from them all.

glynr36 replied to Cyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes
Cyclist wrote:

My local shop, or mechanic is more accurate really,does that, when people want something and then fitting.
But he's upfront about it, makes his cash on labour not parts.

Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I often have a bit of an internal debate about supporting my LBS and using on-line retailers (usually chain for me). On one hand a good LBS will provide a lot of value-add via things like bike fitting and generally giving good advice however the vast gap in price on a lot of items is difficult to ignore. To use a very common example, I paid £7 for a standard butyl tube from my LBS. Compared to £4 in my local Tesco or £3 on Chain. I hate to say it but I can't bring myself to pay over twice the price for my stuff to support my local LBS.

I'd like to shop at the LBS more but prices need to be comparable, not necesarily cheaper but at least in the same ball park. I wouldn't mind paying 5-10% more in return for the benefits of shopping at a local shop but when the difference in price is often so vast I can't bring myself to do it.

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

They're usually pretty good at returning items, let's face it, you have to try something on before you know if it fits or not. I sent back a wetsuit once because it was too small, it was more than the hair on my head that came into contact with that! Persist with your complaint, Wiggle are usually reasonable chaps.

3cylinder | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've never had a quibble with Wiggle's customer service. I've also used the "buy several and send back the ones that don't fit" and never had any problem, this includes my wife trying about five different trisuits for fit. This would always be tags in though. Personally I think if I've used something in anger and then don't like it then it's my problem (assuming it isn't faulty). I'll sell stuff on ebay in that situation.

As to why use an online retailer, it's simply a question of time. I can order stuff from Wiggle anytime I like, whereas my LBS is pretty much only open when I'm at work. I try and make the effort to support a local business for stuff like bikes, but small stuff is too much hassle.

Wiggle keep me in Haribo and electrolyte tablets too

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Some of the terrible and often conflicting responses to the item Q&A on there ensures I'm very careful with what I buy from them. That said, any order I've made has always turned up quickly and has always been correct.

I am still waiting on a bottom bracket I ordered from them last monday though.  39

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Never had any troubles with wiggle.
Cheapest usually for me, either with Platinum discount, or I use the price match on a very regular basis (which I've never had issues with), if I think I'm between sizes I order the two and the other goes back, ticking the it doesn't fit box.
Couldn't ask for more.
Where as the LBS's here that sell gear(none are really locals though as it's an Evans or Cycle surgery) are full of surly shop assistants who don't really want to help, or don't know. Don't have it in stock in my size or the colour I want, might be able to get one in on the next delivery they have which is 6 days away and I then have to return to the shop to get it.

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure, think they might be evolving into the Halfords of online cycling retailing (I appreciate Halfords have a website..it's just an analogy [even if slightly flawed]). They're not the cheapest, they seem to try very hard to avoid allowing you to use their price matching policy and the customer service ain't great. The staff manning the Live Chat service aren't particularly knowledgeable and they're slow to respond to e-mail enquiries.
Liking Merlin and Hargroves a lot - great prices / responsive customer services; the attributes that Wiggle used to have!

Nixster replied to Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Al'76 wrote:

Not sure, think they might be evolving into the Halfords of online cycling retailing (I appreciate Halfords have a website....

I think there is something in this - I think the big H has rattled them a bit. I still find Wiggle more convenient though if not necessarily cheaper.

Can the person who received my Haribo in error please pm them to me  4

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

A chap I know ordered a bike from them and they sent the wrong size. It took a couple of weeks to sort it out - he had to wait for them to get it, inspect it and send out a replacement - leaving him without wheels. Thought that was a little off as it was their mistake. My Sportful no rain bibs let rain in after one wear and they offered to take them back and test them - not replace them. I liked them though and thought sod it, I will have wet legs!

Still use Wiggle though, just not for clothes anymore!

bendertherobot | 10 years ago
0 likes

Trying something on isn't using it. Hell, Wiggle even give you the option of "admitting it" given that one of the options is "Doesn't fit."

So, this sounds very odd. Did you remove the labels? Did you actually use it? It does;t add up. I've returned loads of things, never an issue. I've even returned a pair of Gore bib tights once because, in my view, they were not cold weather tights as described (and I had used them).

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've officially stopped using Wiggle after utterly crap customer service, and if you ask my wife she would probably tell you that would be enough to provoke serious financial trouble for them.

A few months ago I ordered an entire groupset - Campagnolo Record and Super Record, so not cheap - to be sent to Dubai by courier to my office address.

We don't have a postal delivery system in the UAE so anything with an office or home address literally has no way of getting there by anything other than courier.

Wiggle sent some of it but then I got the message that the chainset was not in stock and would be sent later, and it stated specifically that it would be sent by the selected delivery method.

Then they went and sent it by regular post. I told them it could never arrive but they said I had to wait a month to see. Utterly pointless.

Despite many emails they refused to send a replacement by courier, claiming that somewhere in their user T&Cs it says that delayed shipments may be sent by normal post. The customer service was scripted with many apologies and claims of understanding my frustration but no actual practical help.

All my business since then has gone to Ribble or Chain Reaction.

Why do I use online. Usually because it is something I can't get in the UAE, or because it is cheaper online even including VAT. We have some bike stores and I support them where I can but there's a lot of stuff they don't carry because the market just isn't big enough.

Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes

People really do want the moon on a stick. Trade prices for all, delivery in two days, use and return with no questions. Us cyclists have it good, so blinking good right now, and I'm sure we will all cry foul in a few years time when there's only half a dozen retailers left, the prices are at full rrp, the ranges available narrowed... This industry is killing itself.

I'll ask a question... Why use wiggle or chain reaction? What do they do that makes you give them your money? They're rarely the cheapest, rarely the fastest to process, what is it? Why are we all so keen to pay these giants who are holding the industry to ransom?

Giles Pargiter replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes

Must say Jimmy I don't find that remark very fair. I have never really used Wiggle (yet) but Chain reaction have been superb.
I have in the past ordered things from them late in the afternoon and by 10am the following day recieved them by their normal free delivery service - on more than one occasion. I think they must have a van and ferry waiting to immediately despatch my orders  1 .

Also for many items I do find them cheap. I do not make a habit of ordering things just to see if they fit as some posting here seem to (meaure twice - fits first time) However on one order that was wrongly listed they resent another item immediately, on another occasion when they really did make a b**ls up (1x3metre is not the same as 3x1metre) they ended up showering me with gifts that they knew were relevant to me from my order history and telling me to keep the mis-supplied goods.

eurotrash replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

I'll ask a question... Why use wiggle or chain reaction? What do they do that makes you give them your money? They're rarely the cheapest, rarely the fastest to process, what is it? Why are we all so keen to pay these giants who are holding the industry to ransom?

I buy most my stuff from Wiggle. Why? Originally because they were the cheapest around for the items I was looking at, but my experiences with them have always been positive - fast shipping (receive 2-3 days after placing order), and no problems returning items. Returns are dead easy (and free) with Collect+. And they have a good range of items. So I keep shopping with them. And when I want to buy something that's cheaper elsewhere, I get them to price match it. When they once sent me an incorrect item, they had me send it back with Collect+ and send them a photo of the C+ receipt, after which they sent me the correct item the same day. So, consistently good experiences plus the cheapest prices around (with price match when necessary) = I will keep shopping there.

Metjas replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

They're rarely the cheapest, rarely the fastest to process, what is it?

in my experience, they often are the cheapest and certainly quick to process and deliver. I've ordered lots of stuff for many years from Wiggle and always compare with the competition. Their customer service is excellent, I've never had an issue sending back unused or faulty stuff.

harman_mogul replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Why use wiggle or chain reaction?

I thought you answered that in your first para?

Michael Healey replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

I have just ordered a pair of pedals from Chain Reaction Cycles for half the price my LBC is selling them for. I will always try and support my LBC and bought my bike from them, but with a saving of 50% I'd be daft not to use CRC, and am happy to wait a few extra days for delivery

Have always had great service from Wiggle!

J90 replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes

Because they're usually the cheapest...and the fastest.

Joeinpoole | 10 years ago
0 likes

I find the interweb is too much trouble for clothing. Better to use your LBS where you can try the stuff on before you buy. Probably just as cheap as you only buy what you actually like and no return postage costs. Only exception for me is when I'm buying a second/third item of something I already own.

youngoldbloke replied to Joeinpoole | 10 years ago
0 likes

Trouble is your LBS just won't have the range, or the sizes. Anyway most LBSs are one brand boutiques IME. I have ordered more than one size of an item from Wiggle in the past, tried them one, returned (FOC) one (or all) with no problem. Never a hat, however  3

LeDomestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've found Wiggle excellent on returns. I recently sent back a Castelli vest that the zip failed on after I had owned it for eight months but not actually worn much. They changed it immediately no questions asked. They've done the same with anything else I've sent back. I'd rate them oustsrtanding on service.

Nixster | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've returned loads of stuff to the extent that I've taken to ordering items in more than one size and more than one brand to get the right fit. I've always found them both prompt and courteous in response to queries.

Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however  3

Pages

Latest Comments