Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Should bike shops become collection points for on line sales?

It sounds daft, maybe even galling, but would this work for the mutual benefit of everyone? This is my argument.

People are getting used to picking up their on line purchases at high street "collection points". But would you trust your local corner shop to take care of that fragile delivery? Maybe not.

But what if you addressed your parcel c/o your LBS, and they charged you a quid?

It gives you an excuse to grab a free coffee, hang out with other cyclists, and get support from your LBS to maybe fit the part, while you wait, for a reasonable fee.

And it gives the LBS a chance to earn an extra quid, perhaps dozens of times each week, picking up extra shop sales, some more workshop income, and a chance to build their presence in the community.

Ok, a disgruntled LBS proprietor, determined to ignore the rise and rise of on line sales, might be aghast at the idea, but enlightened entrepreneurs might see my idea as an interesting one. And one that could help save the traditional LBS that we all love, but hardly visit anymore.

Opinions wanted please.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

Miles253 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think that with traffic to online retailers constantly growing, LBS should take what ever advantage can be taken from that. As others have said, a lost sale is a lost sale. However if that sale that might have never come Anywhere near the lbs, to actually gain 10 or 15 quid for fitting and delivery surcharge might actually be beneficial. They way to do it might be to give conditions for the service, if it's delivered here it must be fitted here ( not thinking of bike fits here).that way the lbs has guaranteed money coming in from online sales, they get the chance to make new customers and add on sales and the online retailer losers nothing either.

Not sure, but I think it could be a salvation against the decline of the lbs

Pages

Latest Comments