Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Neoprene overshoes

This is my first winter of road cycling so relatively new to this. I do most if not all cycling in dry weather. Are there any reasons to go for neoprene overshoes instead of normal windproof/waterproof style for purely dry weather conditions? Would windproofs see my right through the winter?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

mike the bike | 10 years ago
0 likes

For a commute of 30 - 45 minutes all you need is a pair of Planet X neoprene overshoes at £10. By the time you get to work the water will be finding its way through but, who cares, you're at work. A couple of hours on the radiator and they're ready to go again.

If you will be riding for longer then neoprene is not such a great idea but no matter which type you buy they all have a big hole at the top and your feet will suffer.

Best of luck.

mooleur replied to mike the bike | 10 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

For a commute of 30 - 45 minutes all you need is a pair of Planet X neoprene overshoes at £10.

Best of luck.

+1 on the Planet X front as they're doing those winter packs for about £20 which you get overshoes, gloves & a hat & I think also socks in! Bargain!

LondonByCycle | 10 years ago
0 likes

After several years of struggling to find decent overshoes I finally took the plunge and bought some winter boots about a year ago - Northwave Celsius Arctic. I know its a more expensive solution, but if you plan to do a lot of winter riding they are worth the money. Also surprisingly good is warmer weather, I have worn them for over 6 months this year. Highly recommended.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to LondonByCycle | 10 years ago
0 likes
LondonByCycle wrote:

After several years of struggling to find decent overshoes I finally took the plunge and bought some winter boots about a year ago - Northwave Celsius Arctic. I know its a more expensive solution, but if you plan to do a lot of winter riding they are worth the money. Also surprisingly good is warmer weather, I have worn them for over 6 months this year. Highly recommended.

+1 for boots. I have Gaerne Artix and have never been comfier in the cold and wet West of Scotland.

I have consigned my overshoes to the bottom of the wardrobe and they only ever come out for summer Audaxes.

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Assos Rain Bootie and decent socks, always does me well.

Ad Hynkel | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got Altura waterproofs and some Planet-X neoprenes. The neoprenes are great for very cold dry/damp or short wet rides, but not good for long, wet and cold. The waterproof ones are a single layer and great for wet rides of all lengths provided it's not too cold. I agree with mooleur it's good to have options.

I did once have some BBBs that seemed to work in most colder conditions which were the sealed off neoprene type. If you are going for a single most useful compromise then perhaps this type is best.

edd23 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have struggled to find a decent set of overshoes for a while now, then I stumbled across the Grip Grap Orca ones, which are marketed as waterproof all season overshoes. I have worn them on wet spring and autumn rides and they have not been too hot and sweaty and more recently i have just worn two thin pairs of cotton socks, road shoes and the Grip Graps on 3hr + rides with the temperature hoovering around the 2 degree mark and i have not felt the cold. Not neoprene but in my opinion just as good....

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Most Neoprene overshoes should have a PU (rubber) outer coating, like Endura Slick or Pro Tarmac so should be waterproof and warm (maybe thermal socks if it is freezing). I wear them all winter. My rule is Neoprene if I am wearing tights, something lighter if I have the legs out.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

My favourite subject!

I think I honestly have such a vast collection of different types of overshoes I could open a shop dedicated to it.

For neoprene my rule of thumb is if it's "greasy" out (i.e. if it's been raining and the roads are shitty) but it's not actually raining but IS quite cold - then this is the time to use neoprene.

If it's raining AND cold, get the waterproof winter booties, PRO (specialized) used to do some great ones that were like a really heavy duty waterproof with a fleece inner - great for those properly horrible snowy rainy days.

If it's raining but NOT cold just get the plasticky stretch waterproofs, castelli (if you can justify cost) do great ones. Or Pearl Izumi, their neoprene's are spot on too.

Generally it's trial and error, everyone's got different comfort zones. Maybe try a mixture of the water/wind proof slick overshoes but teamed with merino socks to keep you cozy, so you don't end up spending a fortune.

Neoprene's great but when it's wet will cause you no end of frostbitey misery. But then if you JUST use the wind/waterproof ones, you might get super sweaty feet when the weather's a bit fairer.

There's really no right or wrong though, just whatever you feel comfortable in.  1

Latest Comments