Home

theres lots of lights out there that you can put on your helmet.
at the moment i use a moonx300
but im looking for something for the back of the helmet
any ideas folks, dont want owt thats too big just something
extra to get attenion of drivers

15 comments

Avatar
Shouldbeinbed [51 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Now most of my riding is in the dark, my rear helmet light is a Smart ½ watt.

My summer & daytime running light choice is a set of Lezyne Femto's Good little lights, neat, unobtrusive & surprisingly bright for their size.

Avatar
nilling [11 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I use a Nike running arm band light. Feed the straps through the rear vents of the helmet and fasten inside with velcro.

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [1240 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Used a 99p shop light. One of those single led things with stretchy rubber housing that just about fits through the air vent holes. You can put more than one on if necessary.

Avatar
Steveal [30 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Just recently got a Topeak Headlux which does both front and back to be seen by, rather than see by. Depends what you want... Is a 300 lumen moon not too bright for a helmet light? Not had the misfortune of testing the headlux in the rain yet, but its very small, discreet, has 3 different functions and I'm impressed so far as a secondary/tertiary light on top of bar mounted moon and lezynes.

Avatar
farrell [1950 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Used a 99p shop light. One of those single led things with stretchy rubber housing that just about fits through the air vent holes. You can put more than one on if necessary.

Yep, I have a flashy LED "frog" style one on the back of my helmet.

Avatar
Bagpuss [99 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've mounted a Leyzne Femto in the side vent of a Spesh Propero. Apparently it's pretty good up there.

Avatar
joemmo [1164 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Knog frogs are good for mounting in the vents. Pretty bright although battery life isn't great.

Avatar
mpt68 [99 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Steveal wrote:

Just recently got a Topeak Headlux which does both front and back to be seen by, rather than see by. Depends what you want... Is a 300 lumen moon not too bright for a helmet light? Not had the misfortune of testing the headlux in the rain yet, but its very small, discreet, has 3 different functions and I'm impressed so far as a secondary/tertiary light on top of bar mounted moon and lezynes.

its got 4 power settings so its okay.
good light for the dark country lanes when
its on full beam. ive been really impressed with it.

Avatar
oozaveared [941 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I use an exposure Joystick but they have since launched the Spark. I travel down some unlit and pitch black country lanes and the Joystick lights up what I look at. The great thing with the Exposure stuff is the ability to piggy back. You can add a rear light (red eye) or an additional front (white eye) from the same lamp. Or there is a dink little plug in LED for the back for about £12.

Exposure is pricey but it works brilliantly and is robust this is the third winter with the Strada and joystick since I save about £12 a day not driving it soon pays off.

Exposure lights - Because I'm worth it.

Avatar
Mr Jono [102 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got a lezyne micro drive, to be seen by not see with. Works a treat!

Avatar
philtregear [115 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

i have topeak front/rear light on helmet. no good for seeing by but adds a layer of conspicuousness.

Avatar
Shades [303 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I put a fibreflare across the back of my vents; tie-wrapped on as I leave the helmet locked to the bike when out and about. Plenty of 'that's a good idea comments' from other cyclists. I had an old Cateye front light with a broken catch that I tie-wrapped on the front of the helmet. Quite like the front flashing helmet light for commuting in traffic, although I think if the light's too bright it's a bit 'counter-productive'.

Avatar
smuggers [31 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I've been thinking of putting a light on my helmet also.. I work nights and commute mostly on dark unlit lanes. I have a fibreflare on my seat stay, a moon shield on my seat post and a LifeLine Essential 8 Lumen on my bag.. Having been involved in a hit and run before, I am now trying to light myself up, as much as possible..I have one of those cheap aldi lights on elastic..May try and stretch that to fit on my helmet..

Avatar
giobox [356 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

Exposure is pricey but it works brilliantly and is robust this is the third winter with the Strada and joystick since I save about £12 a day not driving it soon pays off.

Exposure lights - Because I'm worth it.

This. However the joystick is completely inappropriate for use as a helmet light in urban areas, it's far, far too bright to shine into other road users faces.

I've see a couple of riders using the joystick as a helmet light in town, completely disregarding safety of other road users.

On unlit lanes it's fantastic though.

Avatar
Redvee [249 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Shades wrote:

I put a fibreflare across the back of my vents.

Another fibreflayre user here, I've had chinese £1 leds on my helmet but due to head movement from looking down I was worried about the led being missed so went with FF led cause of the beam pattern being more visible.