Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter tyres

As soon as I slid at a mini roundabout I realised I need some better tyres for this weather. My frame will probably only accommodate 25s. What would suit?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

49 comments

userfriendly | 10 years ago
0 likes

Glad to see so many people approving of the GP 4 Seasons. Those are the ones I've put on my new commuting bike, following reviews and the recommendation of my LBS. Got the folding variety. They aren't cheap, but if they last me even just half a year that's still insignificant compared to petrol or train costs.

Going to use my old bike as a backup for when the weather gets really bad, have put Marathon Winter tyres on it. In case of snow and icy roads the studs should give me some peace of mind.

Oh and, Hi road.cc forum people.  1

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've a rip in my British Rail orange jacket (not a rail employess, just like the colour, and hope blind drivers like it too) - I went down on an icy corner - 700x28c, Hutchinson Flash. Dirt cheap tyres, just not great in the winter.

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Was a massive fan of Gatorskins ... until I got dumped the other day!!

It wasn't a particularly wet day. Damp, but with v little surface water and mostly dry. Hump backed bridge with keen right hander was a bit wet so I rode gingerly having had a backend slither on farmer's mud a little earlier, but I went down heavily - and suddenly - ripping my Asos gloves (yet again!) - thank god for Goretex repair patches!! - holing my leggings and ripping my bootee & hi viz (sorry guys, I want to live!!) over jacket.

Odd. I've ridden Gatorskins in winter for years, but I do have to question their grip in the wet. I skinned my elbow and hip, even though I was completely covered with kit, but I'm a bit wary now of riding again in the wet, damp days of winter.

May now look seriously at something with a bit of tread...

Cantab replied to comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes
comm88 wrote:

Was a massive fan of Gatorskins ... until I got dumped the other day!!

It wasn't a particularly wet day. Damp, but with v little surface water and mostly dry. Hump backed bridge with keen right hander was a bit wet so I rode gingerly having had a backend slither on farmer's mud a little earlier, but I went down heavily - and suddenly - ripping my Asos gloves (yet again!) - thank god for Goretex repair patches!! - holing my leggings and ripping my bootee & hi viz (sorry guys, I want to live!!) over jacket.

Odd. I've ridden Gatorskins in winter for years, but I do have to question their grip in the wet. I skinned my elbow and hip, even though I was completely covered with kit, but I'm a bit wary now of riding again in the wet, damp days of winter.

May now look seriously at something with a bit of tread...

I'm running Gatorskins too... and also stacked it at the weekend!

Similar to comm88, it wasn't really wet, more greasy or slightly damp road. I slid out on a right hander in a village, can't have been doing anything more than 20kph. Hip and forearm are bruised and skinned, right wrist swelled up something lovely (and cost me 2 hours in A&E to be sure I hadn't broken something), holes in my glove, baselayer, booties and bar tape (thankfully the arm warmers and shorts seem to have survived), and cornering confidence certainly shaken. My riding partner couldn't steer round me, so kindly chose to hit my bike not me, and went over her handlebars, luckily only acquiring a bit of road rash on one shin to show for it!

I can't decide whether it was a peculiarity of road conditions and tyre pressures or whether the gatorskins just don't have enough grip for winter (Only had them on for 8 months or so, and have hardly overused them so I doubt it's wearing down of the tread).

I might take a look at these Conti 4 seasons and the Schwalbe Marathon pluses. Given one of my work colleagues rearranged his mouth in a similar accident, I don't really want to risk doing it again!

Nzlucas | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hate my Rubino's, relegated to the pub bike. Commuted on wire beaded Gatorskins for yrs in London and get very little punctures and good grip. GP 4 seasons on the sunday bike but find they wear thin quickish if they are on the everyday hack (IE 6mnths or so) and at 44.99 a bit much to replace so often.

Marathon plus are the tyre to go to if you want to put something on and leave it, cause getting them on is a bitch and requires good technique and strong tyre levers. But heavier so don't expect to be setting many KOM's unless you have legs like andre greipel. Extra tread is handy though i guess if you are rural or going on tow paths and un-made roads etc.

There ya go you had my 2 cents now off to brave the London traffic!  4

simon070961 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Having the same problem here with Vittoria Rubinos, first time executing a gentle U-turn when the bike went from under me and deposited me on the tarmac, second time negotiating a mini roundabout. Definitely time to change!

Ad Hynkel | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins have been good to me. They are on the bike all year. But I do like the look and reviews of the GP 4 Seasons.

edd23 | 10 years ago
0 likes

erh  7 that was mean't to be a +1 for the Conti GP 4 Seasons

keith roberts | 10 years ago
0 likes

going slighty "leftfield" here.. schwalbe marathon plus.."commuter tyres" had them on my bianchi for the last two winters in the 23mm size....a faff to get on the rims,but two years, no punctures, plenty of tread left, used on the turbo, ridden through all the crap the good lord and the dvla and cars have thrown at them. And they handle very well and roll pretty fast too..though some guys on the club runs have asked if they are cyclocross tyres....  29

mb429 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I used to have Vitorria Rubinos on my bike, until i had a similar experience to you on a blind off camber corner... slid across the front of an oncoming car, so I've been running a set of Schwalbe Durano S tyres on my bike with no issues through last winter and this summer - they're starting to show it now though, so I managed to get a Gatorskin for the rear for this winter. If you can afford them though, GP 4 Seasons are hard to beat

oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes

OK I admit it I am 52 and my Pro wannabe days are receding a bit. But I cycle 25 miles round trip to work 4 days a week on rural roads. Last winter I started using Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They aren't race tyres by any means but they are bloody brilliant winter tyres. I got them last January and rode them until end of April and I put them back on in mid-September. In the summer I rode the very good Conti GP 4000 s and had three. So I calculate that at about 2000 odd miles for the Schwalbes with no punctures and they still look good to go. I also like that they have a reflective white sidewall. Shows up great in headlights. I don't think there is a massive penalty in rolling resistance but there is definitely a massive benefit in reliability and grip especially in the wet.

Metjas replied to oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

...Schwalbe Marathon Plus...I don't think there is a massive penalty in rolling resistance but there is definitely a massive benefit in reliability and grip especially in the wet.

as long as you are happy to compromise on weight - 590gr for a single 700x25mm tyre!

I used these in the past on a folding bike with 20 inch wheels and they are indeed indestructible, but prefer Gatorskins on my road bike for commuting.

AWP | 10 years ago
2 likes

Continental GP 4 Seasons

Metjas replied to AWP | 10 years ago
1 like
AWP wrote:

Continental GP 4 Seasons

+1

edd23 replied to AWP | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1

Charles_Hunter | 10 years ago
0 likes

What tyres are you using at the moment?

Dinners replied to Charles_Hunter | 10 years ago
0 likes

Vitoria Rubio

William Black replied to Dinners | 10 years ago
0 likes

Vitoria Zaffiros...£6.49 from the cheap paddy website.

(they're also standing up admirably to being abused on wet roads and also on the turbo)

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins, just do it man!

Pages

Latest Comments