Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre question.

Stupid question time, has anyone ever come across a tyre that works on greasy, damp, cold, diesel covered roundabouts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

You hit diesel you're going down...however cold, damp, greasy are all covered off by Conti GP4 Seasons. Love their performance, but not so keen on their longevity; thinking of trying Schwalbe Duranos  39

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Even 190 rear sections on a sports bike can't grip on oil/diesel. I good mtb tyre with tubeless and soft pressures will get you a tiny amount grip on ice/oil but you would be going very fast so I doubt any road tyre will give you any.

mike the bike | 10 years ago
0 likes

As somebody just said, given that type of surface, we're all doomed. But there are ways to make life a little less risky....

First, some tyres behave better than others and Schwalbe Duranos are one of the best. If there is a perfect balance between puncture proofing and grip, this may be it. Yes, you will suffer the odd flat but you will feel safer for most of the time.

And second, run your tyres about 10 - 15% below their maximum. The slightly rounder cross-section will feel more comfortable and I'm convinced it improves grip in the wet.

Best of luck.

Shades | 10 years ago
0 likes

Brand new Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700x32) don't help. I'm still sore a week later.

southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes

Vredensteins are pretty good, I also go for 25's running on about 85psi for wet and damp conditions. Also ride with more caution, tarmac really ruins your bum cheeks day.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think if you hit a patch of oil or ice you're doomed no matter what happens - the contact area is so small that it just goes from underneath you.

Roberj4 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've been running a pair of 25c Conti Gatorskins for the first time at 110psi from January 2013 on wet/damp roads and fell on a diesel patch for the first time ever, shortly are fitting the pair. I've never been that impressed with the grip Continentals give or rather lack off but more for build quality and puncture proofness. I bought these mainly on price alone at a good offer at the time.

However I may revise my opinion now because this winter with the same set of tires now running at 95psi what a difference on grip this makes. Previous to this I was running on Panaracer 700 x 23 tires their top or the range clincher model and by far the best for 'all year round' grip I've used ever. Only problem they are expensive and limited availability with UK dealers. I will be going back to Panaracer for 2014. Against a diesel spill it's best to keep eagled eyed or change your route. I've done this (route change) as I also have a bad roundabout on the main road near my home.

joemmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you find one then my arse and elbow would be interested. Gatorksins are not them.

I changed my route to avoid a roundabout that was particularly liable to provide sideways moments. Those near industrial units seem the worst, presumably all those white vans and HGVs dripping oil everywhere.

armb | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think the key point on that sort of surface is to have three of them  2 I would like a recumbent trike, but can't really justify the cost.
(A couple of co-workers came in with grazes on Friday.)

Latest Comments