The old world order still rule, just...
The Classics seem to come and go in a jiffy these days. So with just Liege left what have we learned during this season?
1. Global warming has meant it's been short sleeve fashion all the way. (apart from Wevelgem) Classics just aren't classics without a deluge and plenty of mud (or is that old fantacist in me?!)
2. The old school are still the new school, just. Tom, Stijn, Rebellin, Ivanov. Wonderful Bosen-Hagen and Cav are nipping at their heels of greatness though.
3. Big George is probably destined to never win a Classic
4. Cycle sport is still popular. The crowds at the Ronde and PR were positively huge. (one report puts it at 800,000 for Flanders)
5. There is a Classic star in the making in the form of Heinrich Haussler - how strong?! 6. Quick Step have come up with the goods when it mattered.
7. Outside of Schleck, Saxo Bank (CSC) have had a mare. What has happened to 2008's team-of-the-year?
8. Free-streaming in French or Flemish rules! I couldn't understand a word of it but it added to the experience so much.