• Google patent reveals how driverless cars recognise hand signals17 hours 37 min agoHopefully the Google guys

    Hopefully the Google guys will get their system to recognise the more subtle gestures, such as repeated shoulder checks, while moving into primary position - a good indicator that a rider is going to turn right - and one that most drivers will spot (YMMV).

  • New tires, sidewall thread showing; advice please?17 hours 39 min agoThey would only rot if they

    They would only rot if they are silk or cotton threads...AFAIK the schwalbe tyres wouldn't have threads that could rot.

  • Spin London 2015 - a preview of London’s urban cycle show17 hours 45 min agoThanks, surprised more people

    Thanks, surprised more people haven't taken the ticket offer up. Will be heading down on Friday, should be a treat!

  • Pernicious Anaemia VitB12 Deficiency ??17 hours 45 min agoRight, woah, stop now! DOI-

    Right, woah, stop now!

    DOI- I'm a doctor but this is not my specialist area.

    Have a read of http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-vitamin-B12-and-folate-deficiency/P... and http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/pernicious-anaemia-and-b12-deficiency which seem pretty sensible to me.

    Keep talking to your GP- this is a complicated area and not just a one stop "you're deficient have some more B12". As the above links say it needs to be worked out:

    - Is your B12 level anything to do with your symptoms- there are lots of reasons to be worn out and it's easy to be mislead by a lowish but irrelevant blood test result?
    - Is your previous arthritis relevant to this- the reference to "plasma" and sticky blood" sound to me like there is a concern that you have inflammation somewhere- that would lead to tiredness?
    - If the B12 is relevant then why is it low?
    - If it is low because of diet then easily fixed by a change of diet or oral supplements.
    - If it is low because you aren't absorbing it +/- other nutrients properly then you'll need to work out why (coeliac mentioned above + need for endoscopy etc) before you can expect the supplements to work
    - If you have pernicious anaemia then oral supplements won't work- it's an autoimmune disorder where you can't absorb B12 so need injections. With a past history of arthritis that raises the risk of this for you.

    All of the above is complicated and well outwith the scope of anyone on this forum. It's understandable to be looking for other people's experiences but so often that is misleading and can be counterproductive. This is clearly getting you down and it needs sorted, keep up the dialogue with your GP, make sure your work understand the situation and see if they can facilitate you getting time to see someone at the practice more regularly.

  • Pernicious Anaemia VitB12 Deficiency ??17 hours 47 min agoMostyn you're spot on, if

    Mostyn you're spot on, if you're lucky enough to get an excellent GP that has got the time to work with you then great, however the reality of it for me was the GP said just rest up and maybe youre stressed. Anything you can do for yourself that has no risk attached is a good place to start until you can find a professional like Crikey who can take the time to get you fixed up.

  • Third time lucky? Dom Irvine sets out on another Land's End - John O'Groats tandem record attempt17 hours 47 min agoI did make a mistake on the

    I did make a mistake on the calculations courtesy of the way Excel treats hours as times sometimes.

    ETA 2:18am

  • Value of exercise in fighting obesity a "myth" claim experts17 hours 58 min agoArticle now

    Article now suspended:
    http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/exercise-doesn-t-combat-obesity-study-s...

  • London taxi drivers back Cycle Superhighways as plans for judicial review dropped17 hours 59 min agoPaul99 wrote:Controversial,

    Paul99 wrote:
    Controversial, but this is why I have mixed feelings about the segregated infrastructure because in the eyes of the other road users, it gives them more right to the roads and the cyclists less right. Attitude readjustment through things like presumed liability is the only way I really see any major change happening.

    You often see arguments like this from fans of "vehicular cycling", but to me it seems unlikely that taking space from private motorised traffic and allocating it to dedicated cycling facilities will marginalise cycling. If anything it should be a clear statement to drivers that they are less of a priority, and cycling is more acceptable and promoted. Do you think Dutch cyclists worry that the high-quality safe cycle facilities they have undermine their rights?

    *If* it turns out that the new cycleways are so popular that they get congested then it will be a win of sorts - it will justify the decision to install them, and highlight the fact there should be more (wider) cycleways.

    As for presumed liability, it's been discussed elsewhere that while it's not a bad idea, it does little in practice to change attitudes. Drivers don't go out intending to run over cyclists (usually) and all drivers think they're more competent than average.

  • Google patent reveals how driverless cars recognise hand signals18 hours 1 min agoDoes this mean that sticking

    Does this mean that sticking your right arm out will revert to meaning "I am moving to the right", as opposed to "Yes, please slam your foot into the accelerator and scream two tonnes of metal at high speed in to the slim gap to my right" is seems to currently mean?

  • Photo of mangled helmet shared more than 30 million times after cyclist walks away from crash18 hours 2 min agoLow Speed Wobble wrote:I DO

    Low Speed Wobble wrote:
    I DO NOT wear a helmet not because it will save my life in the event of a fall of some kind, but because it may save my life. And because it looks cool.

    Since helmets may also cause deaths, my adapted quote of your post is just as true.

  • Photo of mangled helmet shared more than 30 million times after cyclist walks away from crash18 hours 21 min agoRTB wrote:That's the point

    RTB wrote:
    That's the point isn't it cycling IS more dangerous than many other daily activities..

    No it isn't.

    No it isn't.

    No it isn't.

  • Cambridge cyclist feared for life after driver's knife threat18 hours 26 min agonotfastenough

    notfastenough wrote:
    freespirit1 wrote:
    OldRidgeback wrote:

    When someone buys a BMW there should be an automatic notification for the DVLA so that the proud new owner should then get a letter saying they need a compulsory retest.

    Can this idea be extended to Audi drivers and anyone who has applied to Addison Lee for a job?

    "All cyclists are angry red-light-jumping fools in lycra who should work harder and buy a car"

    Nope, those stereotypes don't work in either direction. It's isn't BMWs or Audis you need to worry about, it's idiots. Idiots need a form of transport (or hobby, YMMV) like everyone else.

    I drive a BMW (and previously an Audi). No matter whether I'm driving or riding (considerately), there's always no shortage of people willing to give me grief.

    "no shortage of people willing to give me grief".

    Doesn't this tell you something?

  • London taxi drivers back Cycle Superhighways as plans for judicial review dropped18 hours 29 min agofukawitribe wrote:Paul99

    fukawitribe wrote:
    Paul99 wrote:
    As a regular London commuter the thing that worries me about this is that if something now happens to a cyclist on one of the roads with segregated lanes (i.e. the cyclist is on the road, not in the cycle lane), then it's going to be instantly labelled the cyclist's fault, so what he's actually done is realised it benefits his taxi drivers who will still drive dangerously if cyclists happen to not be using the segregated lanes but feel like they have carte blanche to do so because cyclists "should be in the bike lane"- and believe me, this will happen because the volume of commuters is going to mean a lot of the guys who like to ride quickly and not pootle along will opt to use the main part of the road with the faster traffic anyway.

    I'm sure there will be some element of this however considering various attributes such as experience, bike-craft and handling ability, road craft etc... if you take the set of people involved in KSI incidents in London (and probably other urban areas) and the set of people who don't want to pootle and intersect them, I wonder how big that resulting set is ?

    They are also trying to encourage a lot more people to use bikes, in all likely-hood less skilled or experienced on average than those you're worried about - people who just want to get about and aren't worried about their speed.

    Paul99 wrote:
    Controversial, but this is why I have mixed feelings about the segregated infrastructure because in the eyes of the other road users, it gives them more right to the roads and the cyclists less right.

    Undoubtably some will feel that way, but I don't think it's an compelling argument against the introduction of more segregated cycleways if that brings more people on them. As more people use them, the chances of the motorist also being a cyclist may also increase - which may partially improve things... probably a long way off on that, but it's a start.

    I'd argue that Captain Kirk is probably wrong in this case...

    You make excellent points sir, and I agree entirely. My fear here is that the segregated lanes are hailed as THE solution by those who don't understand the nuances and all the sides of the argument and the issues, meaning that the need to address other problems like driver attitude get sidelined.

  • New tires, sidewall thread showing; advice please?18 hours 30 min agopersonally, i wouldnt worry

    personally, i wouldnt worry about safety but I might wonder if the water will get in the threads and they will start to rot (if you ride them in the wet a lot). Thats always a concern for CX tyres. You could paint them with some latex to keep that out, of course. Otherwise, its just a matter of aesthetics.

  • UCI publishes Licence Commission's reasoned decision on Astana18 hours 33 min agoantonio wrote:I have reached

    antonio wrote:
    I have reached a 'reasoned decision' on the Tour de Romandie winner, first year world tour, former National TT champ, former doper and still only young. However I will file my decision for future reference when reasons for the surge in recent 'surprising' race results is revealed.

    What surge ?

  • Ride London and predicted times18 hours 33 min agoBrand new Vittoria Pro Techs,

    Brand new Vittoria Pro Techs, a P-kit and two tubes for me last year. Not a single visit from the fairy. Saw an unbelievable number of people fixing them in the first mile down the A12 though, I must have missed the Stinger.

  • UCI publishes Licence Commission's reasoned decision on Astana18 hours 38 min agoI have reached a 'reasoned

    I have reached a 'reasoned decision' on the Tour de Romandie winner, first year world tour, former National TT champ, former doper and still only young. However I will file my decision for future reference when reasons for the surge in recent 'surprising' race results is revealed.

  • London taxi drivers back Cycle Superhighways as plans for judicial review dropped18 hours 39 min agoPaul99 wrote:As a regular

    Paul99 wrote:
    As a regular London commuter the thing that worries me about this is that if something now happens to a cyclist on one of the roads with segregated lanes (i.e. the cyclist is on the road, not in the cycle lane), then it's going to be instantly labelled the cyclist's fault, so what he's actually done is realised it benefits his taxi drivers who will still drive dangerously if cyclists happen to not be using the segregated lanes but feel like they have carte blanche to do so because cyclists "should be in the bike lane"- and believe me, this will happen because the volume of commuters is going to mean a lot of the guys who like to ride quickly and not pootle along will opt to use the main part of the road with the faster traffic anyway.

    I'm sure there will be some element of this however considering various attributes such as experience, bike-craft and handling ability, road craft etc... if you take the set of people involved in KSI incidents in London (and probably other urban areas) and the set of people who don't want to pootle and intersect them, I wonder how big that resulting set is ?

    They are also trying to encourage a lot more people to use bikes, in all likely-hood less skilled or experienced on average than those you're worried about - people who just want to get about and aren't worried about their speed.

    Paul99 wrote:
    Controversial, but this is why I have mixed feelings about the segregated infrastructure because in the eyes of the other road users, it gives them more right to the roads and the cyclists less right.

    Undoubtably some will feel that way, but I don't think it's an compelling argument against the introduction of more segregated cycleways if that brings more people on them. As more people use them, the chances of the motorist also being a cyclist may also increase - which may partially improve things... probably a long way off on that, but it's a start.

    I'd argue that Captain Kirk is probably wrong in this case...

  • Photo of mangled helmet shared more than 30 million times after cyclist walks away from crash18 hours 39 min agoJoeinpoole wrote: Why don't

    Joeinpoole wrote:

    Why don't helmet-evangelising numpties like you understand that cycling is no more dangerous than many other daily activities that we all do without wearing helmets?

    Ah Mr. Angry from the pub, I remember you from before. That's the point isn't it cycling IS more dangerous than many other daily activities. Absurd and irresponsible to suggest otherwise. Pure physics (applied for that matter too) and increased variables provides the obvious science behind that even if instinct fails or is ignored.

  • Pedalling Through the Dead Spot18 hours 41 min agoA great piece, but a bit

    A great piece, but a bit extreme isn't it? Going downhill fast is my favourite part of riding a bike, and I'm not averse to playing the percentages on a quick but tight stretch of road, but if I'm certain I'm going to come a cropper at some point on a given section, I'll just go another way or knock the speed right off. I love cycling, but there's no need to die for it...

  • TomTom launches £300 Bandit action camera18 hours 50 min agoKnightBiker wrote:Haters

    KnightBiker wrote:
    Haters gonna hate apparently... these are some cheap shots you guys are making there.
    Is it bigger then the GoPro? if you take into account the square transparant bulky waterproof housing, not so much. (I choose round over square any day, square wheels suck for instance) Also the way you edit your content is novel, and a sign that TomTom has been looking a little further then the standard hardware featureset. So let`s wait with the product bashing and see what the professional reviewers say.

    Also, on a price point: the GoPro Hero is more then 400 euro`s - if the feature set is comparable then this could be a good deal. and it`s a new procduct: who knows what the price will be in half a years time.

    (that said there`s a lot of players in this product range lately: Garmin, Panasonic, Shimano and others seem to have launched similar products - if TomTom want`s market share: it`s better usability or dropping the prices.)

    Curious to see a first user review instead of a rehearsal of the pressrelease

    I don't think of myself as a hater - but maybe I was being too flippant. As you say the price will come down hence my comment: Speculative pricing, just in case people like it, at an unrealistic level.

    I guess they might sell a few at that price.- the 'real' price will probably be much better as you say and will be in direct relation to quality of reviews Wink

    As an aside it is becoming a crowded market but none of the major players has yet nailed the small helmet cam that is usable and less than £100-£120. I thought garmin was going that way and then they went all 'box brownie' on us.

  • Vote now for the UK's Best Coffee Stop for Cyclists! (Sponsored by road.cc)18 hours 50 min agoVote NOW for best cake!

    Vote NOW for best cake! http://www.coffeestopsuk.com/shop/0505-18506/
    It took me a while to get it listed Sad

    Foursquare ? might have been popular a few years ago. Try google places for listings D Oh

  • Cambridge cyclist feared for life after driver's knife threat18 hours 50 min agoGizmo_ wrote: /bmw

    Gizmo_ wrote:

    /bmw owner

    Stereotypes exist for a reason, they are never 100% accurate...

    Go on a motorway and look at the drivers/the cars, the lane discipline, the manner of driving, even look around the country, etc. You start to see patterns.

    One of those is middle managers in 3/5series/A4/A6 tend to drive fast and aggressively and rarely leave the overtaking lanes. Taxi drivers tend to ignore lights, cycle boxes etc. Shockingly for some I find HGV drivers to be generally very considerate, unlike school run mums who are very distracted and If they are in a faux 4x4 lethally spatially unaware.

  • Cambridge cyclist feared for life after driver's knife threat19 hours 2 min agofreespirit1

    freespirit1 wrote:
    OldRidgeback wrote:

    When someone buys a BMW there should be an automatic notification for the DVLA so that the proud new owner should then get a letter saying they need a compulsory retest.

    Can this idea be extended to Audi drivers and anyone who has applied to Addison Lee for a job?

    "All cyclists are angry red-light-jumping fools in lycra who should work harder and buy a car"

    Nope, those stereotypes don't work in either direction. It's isn't BMWs or Audis you need to worry about, it's idiots. Idiots need a form of transport (or hobby, YMMV) like everyone else.

    I drive a BMW (and previously an Audi). No matter whether I'm driving or riding (considerately), there's always no shortage of people willing to give me grief.

  • London taxi drivers back Cycle Superhighways as plans for judicial review dropped19 hours 9 min agoIf, as research indicates,

    If, as research indicates, removing road-space from cars to create cycle infrastructure reduces the number of private cars on the road then this will in turn reduce congestion which is in the interest of the taxi drivers. This is a common sense decision.