• "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agowombat1969 wrote:I dont

    wombat1969 wrote:
    I dont normally add comments to forums

    I can see why now.

    wombat1969 wrote:
    but the nature of the responses to both this story, and the same sentiment expressed on the recent piece on Bradley Wiggins have really surprised me.
    I think it's because people don't want someone pissing on the back of their leg and then telling them it's raining.

    wombat1969 wrote:
    I think Laura has hit the nail on the head.

    Woah! Was the nail wearing a helmet? If not, would the nail have survived if it had have been wearing a helmet?

    wombat1969 wrote:
    I have been commuting into the City of London for the past 15 years .
    And that is relevant why exactly?

    wombat1969 wrote:
    In most, if not all, cases the cyclist was at fault.

    Well which is it? If you can't remember or cant figure it out, you'd hardly make a reliable witness would you?

    wombat1969 wrote:
    And yes, I have had the odd episode myself (I have the stitches to prove it) and hand on heart, I cant say the way I was riding at the time was not a contributing factor.
    Very vague this bit, are you saying that you have been hit by a car which resulted in requiring medical treatment but it was your fault? Or are you just referring to when you have had an 'off'? If it's the latter it is very misleading indeed, if its the former then I have had incidents where I have been hit by cars when on my bike and it's 100% not been my fault, nor has my riding been a contributory cause so does that negate your point?

    wombat1969 wrote:
    I always where a helmet, but if you think by not wearing one you are 'giving it to the man' then please carry on.

    Yeah, by not strapping on a glorified egg box in the hope that it will provide me with a force field that will withstand the impact of of several tonnes of fast moving metal if I just want to nip to the shop is really how I like to stick it to 'The Man'. What utter waffle.

    wombat1969 wrote:
    Presumably the same cyclists who complain about the possability of a law making helmet wearing mandatory also refuse to take part in sportives or triathlons for the same reason?

    Well, no, you utter whopper, because you don't just 'sportive' or 'triathlon' to the shop do you? Why would I or any right thinking person want to be made a criminal for not wearing a piece of polystyrene? What next? Compulsory gloves? Glasses? Knee pads?

    wombat1969 wrote:
    My personal bottom line is

    Key word is personal, don't make me a criminal because of your stupid, misguided beliefs.

    wombat1969 wrote:
    that if you reguarly cycle into a big city then despite what some of the posters on this forum think, cycling IS a dangerous activity .

    No, it's not.

    wombat1969 wrote:
    and you would be an idiot not to take as many precautions as possible

    So do you wear a kevlar vest at all times in case you get shot or stabbed?

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agowombat1969 wrote: Presumably

    wombat1969 wrote:
    Presumably the same cyclists who complain about the possability of a law making helmet wearing mandatory also refuse to take part in sportives or triathlons for the same reason?

    do you *really* not understand the difference between racing a triathlon and nipping to the shops for an ice cream?

    do you wear a fire-proof suit and full-face helmet when you drive your car to the seaside?

  • Cervélo launch all new versions of the R3 and S3 at Eurobike 2013 +Video1 year 38 weeks agotony_farrelly wrote:Apologies

    tony_farrelly wrote:
    Apologies to Damon for constantly mis-prouncing his name when we were making the vid.

    That'll be the hangover again eh!

  • Shimano RT82 SPD shoe1 year 38 weeks agoAny other shoe manufacturers

    Any other shoe manufacturers who make something similar?

  • Eric Pickles: Cambridge motorists (and shops) suffer due to council's focus on cycling "elite"1 year 38 weeks agoFinally. I'm recognised as

    Finally. I'm recognised as one of the elite rather than a pleb Party Cool Big Grin thank you 'Lord' Pickles Devil

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoHmm...this is why I dont post

    Hmm...this is why I dont post on forums. Obvously having a POV on this without reading loads of research papers on helmet wearing, accidents etc, is a bad thing. Of course, riding into London 3-4 days a week for the past decade plus doesnt count for anything.

    I like to think that a bit of sensible debate is a good thing but being told I know nothing is a bit insulting. If it came across as pontificating then I sincerely apologise. All I can do is post what I see and I think!

    Right - better get back to work! Enjoy the rest of the day everybody.

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoQuote:She also echoed calls

    Quote:
    She also echoed calls by Sir Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish in recent days for cycle helmets to be made compulsory.

    When you're high-profile like these riders, think before commenting on topics like this, please. Everyone has an opinion but yours is no more or less informed than most and will be quoted out of proportion and often out of context.

    (Denmark vs Australia anyone?)

  • Eric Pickles: Cambridge motorists (and shops) suffer due to council's focus on cycling "elite"1 year 38 weeks agomrmo wrote: Because i live in

    mrmo wrote:
    Because i live in a town i am only 1/2mile from the local Tesco, you may have seen the big red white and blue signs as you drive to Fortnum and Masons? They sell food and stuff in there, in case you ever wondered.

    Fortnum&Mason? Good selection of teas, difficult to park - even a bike! Either chain to the railing or fold up and take inside. In that respect a Tesco could be an easier choice.

  • Eric Pickles: Cambridge motorists (and shops) suffer due to council's focus on cycling "elite"1 year 38 weeks agoHoester wrote:"Yes, those

    Hoester wrote:
    "Yes, those pesky medieval builders and their narrow streets... couldn't they have foreseen that one day, fat people in large metal contraptions would want to leave them all day taking up public space, free of charge, and make the streets wide enough to accommodate them?"

    I was thinking about issues such as the positioning of 'out of town retail parks' within city limits, resulting in ineffectual park and ride public transport during peak periods etc. (particulary from the east side of the city). Thanks for jumping to the conclusion that I was talking about the historical centre of the city though, and making a witty(?) remark about your incorrect assumption. Par for the course on other forums, why don't we try to keep this one a cut above the rest?

    I apologise if I jumped to the wrong conclusion, but you didn't give much away with your original post. At least my response has prompted you to back this up with a bit more detail on what you were getting at, so I'd like to think my contribution wasn't entirely worthless, even if its wittiness was questionable.

  • TfL animated videos highlight new Barclays Cycle Superhighway safety features1 year 38 weeks agoI don't want to pan something

    I don't want to pan something where they've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about how to help cyclists. But then again, they clearly let either a crazed madman or a village idiot do quite a bit of that thinking... D Oh

    a) If your designs/features require little videos to explain how to use them, they're clearly not intuitive. Given that only a small proportion of users will ever see these videos, how are the rest of them meant to work out what they are 'supposed' to be doing.

    b) Who has priority at the bus stop bypass? Pedestrians or cyclists? Its a key detail but utterly omitted from the video. Hopefully standard signage will make it clear (either a zebra crossing across the cycleway or 'Pedestrians Give Way' signs)

    c) That roundabout empty is almost alright, except some motorists will probably get confused by which set of lights apply (first or second set). And are you really gonna bottle up the cyclists on the left while the traffic is moving? Because cyclists are going to have a hard time resisting the urge to jump those lights, rather than sitting waiting for a very short window to go.

    d) All three of these smack of 'anything to keep those pesky cyclists from disrupting the glorious unstoppable flow of pollution-mobiles'

    e) The mentality of 'lets just throw cyclists in with the pedestrians, if it avoids taking road space from cars' also seems to prevail.

    Back to the drawing board TFL! Or preferably time for a fact-finding mission to the continent.

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoMark, you know nothing of

    Mark, you know nothing of this topic. Do us all a favour and do some research before pontificating in public.

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agowombat1969 wrote:I dont

    wombat1969 wrote:
    I dont normally add comments to forums

    Perhaps you should have kept it that way?

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoI think what this highlights

    I think what this highlights most is that the poor behaviour of some people on bikes has a significantly negative impact on the ability to sensibly discuss cycling safety. While people continue to ride poorly, it will always be used as an argument against improving road safety through other means.

    What total rubbish - how another person cycles, drives, farts or whistles has nothing to do with me.

    I demand streets that are safe enough for my partner and kids to cycle, and bollocks to anyone else who says some random fool going through a red light makes my demand for safe streets for my family somehow invalid.

    It's a pathetic argument used by moronic shock-jocks and politicians.

    Now, please can we all stop validating this total idiocy...

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoI dont normally add comments

    I dont normally add comments to forums but the nature of the responses to both this story, and the same sentiment expressed on the recent piece on Bradley Wiggins have really surprised me.

    I think Laura has hit the nail on the head. I have been commuting into the City of London for the past 15 years and have seen a number of incidents between cyclists and cars. In most, if not all, cases the cyclist was at fault. And yes, I have had the odd episode myself (I have the stitches to prove it) and hand on heart, I cant say the way I was riding at the time was not a contributing factor.

    I always where a helmet, but if you think by not wearing one you are 'giving it to the man' then please carry on. Presumably the same cyclists who complain about the possability of a law making helmet wearing mandatory also refuse to take part in sportives or triathlons for the same reason?

    My personal bottom line is that if you reguarly cycle into a big city then despite what some of the posters on this forum think, cycling IS a dangerous activity and you would be an idiot not to take as many precautions as possible.

    Mark

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agokoko56 wrote:this villanasing

    koko56 wrote:
    this villanasing of lorries in cases where cyclists position themselves in potential blind spots is plain wrong - what seems like a subconscious red herring from the fact that cyclists should be either far in front of a lorry/large vehicle or behind it at lights - if this is not common sense then you are a far greater danger to yourself than anyone else on the road.

    what, even though that's where all the 'cycle superhighways' and lanes to ASLs are? so if i'm cycling along a cycle superhighway, and a lorry overtakes me and then turns left and crushes me and i die, that's somehow my fault? And if I'm filtering to the front of the ASL along the lane that TfL have provided for me, and the lights change, and the lorry doesn't see me and crushes me and i die, that's my fault too?

    what isn't in doubt is that a lot of the time lorry drivers *are* to blame: they get prosecuted. go and read the reports. other times it's less clear, and sometimes the cyclist is found to be at fault. but those are very much the minority. and we should be designing our city transport so that a single mistake - from a lorry driver *or* a cyclist - doesn't result in someone getting killed. what we *shouldn't* be doing is making it about Red lights and riding on the pavement, and helmets. because none of those things really matter that much.

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agomrmo wrote:As for Helmets, if

    mrmo wrote:
    As for Helmets, if you are riding for sport, wear a helmet, if you are riding for transport, do you wear a helmet to drive? to walk? etc. Do you wear a helmet and install safety lines to go up and down stairs?

    Even helmets for sports cyclists is questionable as they did nothing for Wouter Weylandt.

    Cycling helmets (as their current manufactured specifications), are worse than useless. They are built to withstand certain impacts (linear, not oblique or rotational) at low speeds (<12mph) and create an illusion of safety.

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks ago"Massive disservice.'

    "Massive disservice.' Really?

    YES - a massive disservice. Because cycling needs to move forward in country. We need to start building infrastructure and focussing on the positives.

    Instead all Laura has done is unnecessarily dragged up the shit. Which is counter productive.

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agokoko56 wrote: Getting real

    koko56 wrote:

    Getting real tired of this shit that oh HGVs are so bad and kill all the cyclists. If a cyclist is stopped on the inside of the lorry they have blame, no matter which way you look it - unless it's this view that cars and especially lorry drivers must have some 6th sense about cyclist all the time that can maneuver much quicker and are a lot smaller through traffic.

    Mary Bowers - will require round-the-clock care for the rest of her life (and will probably never regain consciousness) after being crushed by a lorry, the driver of which admitted being distracted by talking on a hands-free mobile and not checking mirrors properly. He was fined.

    Catriona Patel - killed by a lorry driver still drunk from the night before who was talking on a handheld mobile. He had been disqualified 20 times and had three convictions for drink driving and three convictions for reckless driving; seven years imprisonment, lifetime ban.

    Eilidh Cairns - killed by a lorry whose driver was never directly charged in connection with her death but whose eyesight was deemed to be below the required standard. He would go on to kill a pedestrian.

    All experienced cyclists, and that is just three cases, there are many others I could cite.

    But maybe we should lay off the drivers, eh?

  • Fluorescent footwear flies across floor at Eurobike 20131 year 38 weeks agoOk, who's trying to confuse

    Ok, who's trying to confuse me....Are their two different pinks in the Bont range? At Wits End

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoIf someone blames (or

    If someone blames (or penalises) me for another person's arguably reckless behaviour just because we share a mode of transport, that's prejudice, pure and simple.

    It's ugly and it needs to stop. Far too often cyclists are complicit in prejudice against themselves like this.

    Trott is clearly just a naive young woman who happens to be good at riding a bicycle. You can't blame her for that but she certainly shouldn't be an ambassador for anything, and she doesn't represent me any more than some kid cutting up old ladies on the pavement does.

    Having said that, yes please to the protected bike lanes.

  • Recon Jet head-up display puts bike data in your vision at Eurobike 20131 year 38 weeks agoIs it just me? This looks

    Is it just me? This looks like it totally blocks out the area of the glasses I look through to see what's behind me. I turn my head to the right, and look through the bottom portion of the lens. That's why I prefer cycling glasses with no frame at the bottom!

  • TfL animated videos highlight new Barclays Cycle Superhighway safety features1 year 38 weeks agoBus stop bypasses are well

    Bus stop bypasses are well proven, its great that these are finally being implemented!!

    But the ridiculous 2 stage right appears in the Irish road planning manual (according to TFL). Why have they taken the model from the Irish (not a cycling nation) rather than the Netherlands!?! They need ridiculing for following the wrong model! The netherlands state of the art is now the "all directions green for cyclists" phase on junctions like this. Their previous best practice is also still more effective and safe than this nonsense putting the cyclist ahead but protected and then giving them time to eithere execute the full manouvre or protecting them for the second stage.

    Its a start at least, but so much more work needs to be done. Does nobody with any common sense at TFL look at designs like this method of before they are released!?

  • TfL animated videos highlight new Barclays Cycle Superhighway safety features1 year 38 weeks agoribena wrote:They have the

    ribena wrote:
    They have the bus bypasses in Brighton already, they work really well in my experience.

    http://departmentfortransport.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/britain-can-do-it/

    That Brighton one looks like it is done right, the same way they are done in the Netherlands, showing an un-interrupted bike lane. The crossing point in the TfL one is lame, because pedestrian's arriving at the bus stop will be coming along the road and will cut across the sunken cyclist priority section, and then cyclists will supposedly give way to pedestrians at the crossing point. Just keep it simple!

  • DfT research: Reckless riding accounts for tiny percentage of cyclist casualties1 year 38 weeks agoOriginally, the headline to

    Originally, the headline to this article read: "Report into DfT casualty stats says cyclists not to blame in 93 per cent of cases."

    We've changed that, since it ignores situations where, for example, the cyclist was adjudged by police not to have looked, which would bring the percentage down.

    Headline now reads: "DfT research: Reckless riding accounts for tiny percentage of cyclist casualties"

  • "It's not always the car's fault" - Laura Trott says reckless cyclists to blame if they get hurt & helmets should be compulsory1 year 38 weeks agoOther than the comments on

    Other than the comments on helmets - which are simply just an expression of her own views and experience - what has she said that can be disagreed with?

    Some cyclists are morons and - on occasion - have no one to blame but themselves if they get hurt. Shock.

    "Massive disservice.' Really?