- Cambridge pensioner guilty of assault after tipping dog excrement over cyclist1 year 33 weeks agoYou'd also hope that if she
You'd also hope that if she was originally arrested, she'd have been assessed for her fitness to be dealt with by an FME - a doctor, admittedly not a specialist, but a medical practitioner all the same.
If she'd not been arrested and simply reported for summons then she would have had this, but surely the defence legal team would have raised this ( although I chuckled at how the defence alluded that the 40 yr old uni professor was a young man on a powerful bike. How is a bike powerful?)
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoLady's an embarrassment to
Lady's an embarrassment to the Labour Party, and she's got some stiff competition. Anyways...
About 18 months to go then.
Sadly, outside my bailiwick these days. But maybe something for some of London's stroppier cyclists to think about.
- Wheel rim/brake surface damage?! Wtf?!1 year 33 weeks agoIf you look at an aluminium
If you look at an aluminium glasshouse or window frame you will probably find similar corrosion. Although the metal doesn't rust it certainly oxidises and this process can be accelerated by contact with chemicals such as salts.
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoWhat a towering imbecile.
What a towering imbecile. Great stuff.
- Axiom Tweak 8 Multi Tool1 year 33 weeks agoI've got a bit of a
I've got a bit of a collection over multi tools from over the years!
I really like this one. Might just get one for on my keyring.
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoA pedestrian once knocked an
A pedestrian once knocked an old lady over and took her handbag before running off. Why can't we register this menace so we can trace them Hoey?
- Cambridge pensioner guilty of assault after tipping dog excrement over cyclist1 year 33 weeks agophil, you have a point - old
phil, you have a point - old person + lashing out = mental ill health. NO !
Whilst i dont work with people suffering mental ill health i do go to jobs involving these people. As the article points out she is 75 yrs old and she may have the early stages of dementia which can lead to angry and violent outbursts.
If thats true then its very sad because dementia is anything but pleasant.
If she is all there up top then i have to say what a horrid woman !
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoI'm not saying its right to
I'm not saying its right to jump lights (and its an emotive subject - read the comment sections of the Indy and the Graun and they're full of anti cyclist ire that seems a bit disproportionate)
Ok, its crap for the pedestrians if they got hit, but its a bugger to lose momentum at each traffic light, and surely every cyclist makes a judgement call on running each red or dark amber light, knowing he's the one that's going to come off worse if his judgement is out.
It'd be a nice easy PR win if people all of a sudden stopped jumping lights though, and it'd wrong-foot a hell of a lot of people, Hoey included.
- Two cyclists dead and two seriously injured on a grim day on Britain's roads1 year 33 weeks agoMore very sad news.
More very sad news.
I would think the number of people killed taking a risk on a bike is very few, given the potential consciences to you as the cyclist. Given how the incident has been described I would assume it was a miscalculation or simply not seeing the bus until it was too late.
Be safe out there everybody
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoIncase you want to tweet the
Incase you want to tweet the silly mare, her handle is @hoeykateMP. Like Ive just done.
Needs to learn to keep her gob shut.
- Winterise your bike1 year 33 weeks agoPhilRuss wrote:What arePhilRuss wrote:
What are "brake-pads"? They are them thingies what you put on motor vehicles. We bikies use brake-blocks, ....
I've got brake-pads on my bike!
- Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 33 weeks agobest get a charger specific
best get a charger specific for the Cateye Volt 300!
Will be interesting to find out what you think of that high powered Cree Light?
- Two cyclists dead and two seriously injured on a grim day on Britain's roads1 year 33 weeks agoI know nothing of the
I know nothing of the circumstances other than reading this here but I guess there's a line dividing assertive riding and maintaining hard-won momentum, and just tipping over that line into hazardous.
Maybe a momentary lapse, or maybe he'd played the odds one time too many, who knows. Nobody deserves to lose their life doing something as mundane and everyday as cycling though.
A bad week to be a cyclist in london. Very bad week.
- 1 in 10 cyclists jump red lights, says Sunday Times1 year 33 weeks ago1 in 10 they say. They must
1 in 10 they say. They must have all been in Bristol that day.
Every set of red lights I stopped at today had at least 1 or 2 cyclists ride through.
At some junctions in Bristol you get shouted at by other cyclists for stopping at red lights.
- Wheel rim/brake surface damage?! Wtf?!1 year 33 weeks agoUp, I'm +1 on road salt.
Up, I'm +1 on road salt. Unfortunately you can't exactly coat your braking surfaces with gt85 or fs365 can you!
- Craft Brilliance high-vis range launched1 year 33 weeks agoAnd they launch these in
And they launch these in November? I recently bought a new Altura Night Vision Evo (which is black and reflective, too). Craft gear is usually pretty good. I don't wish I'd waited, but this would have been another option.
- Cambridge pensioner guilty of assault after tipping dog excrement over cyclist1 year 33 weeks agoI work with people suffering
I work with people suffering from mental disorder. It is depressing to read the same old stereotypes and myths about mental illness illustrated above. Do any of you have any evidence this person is mentally unwell? Is mental illness always synonymous with anti social, aggressive behaviour? ( clue: the answer is NO).
Neither the Judge hearing the case nor her own defence offered mental illness in mitigation but I guess they are both less knowledgeable than you who have claimed she must be mad.
Is she ill or is it more likely that she simply hates cyclists?
Let us be clear, her behaviour was a crime based on that belief. That does not make her mentally ill.
So grow up and treat mental illness and those it afflicts with a bit more respect.
- Bike box suggestions needed.1 year 33 weeks agoI have transported my Giant
I have transported my Giant Advanced SL with ISP - (size ML) both in a BikeBoxAlan hard case and in a cardboard box.
I took out the forks and chainset for it to fit into the cardboard box. I also put my wheels in their wheelbags for more protection.
Strangely enough, I was had more confidence in the cardboard box. Make sure you bring tape with you to seal the box for the return journey...
- Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 33 weeks agoI'm off out to try out the
I'm off out to try out the 5000 Lumen (yes, seriously that's what they claim) 2 xCREE XML U2 thing I bought from fleabay.
I wondering if they will:
A) Melt my Handlebars.
B) Fail after 15 Mins.
C) Get me pulled over by the filth.
Safe to say I'll be keeping an Exposure light in my jersey just in case!
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoShe does have a small point,
She does have a small point, a hell of a lot more cyclist jump red lights than cars (at least on my London commute) in 5 years I've only seen about 2 or 3 clear incidents of cars running reds, whereas I see at least 5 fellow cyclists run them every single day, so I can see why it's brought up in every single debate on road safety.
There you go Hoey, a cyclist criticising other cyclists.
- Buyer's guide to end of season road bike bargains1 year 33 weeks agoSome astonishing bargains at
Some astonishing bargains at Wiggle
A couple of Felts as an example
I was looking at the 2013 Felt Z5 in a shop the other day,just in awe,viewing on the internet sideways profiles of bikes can never do justice to viewing in person
The savings at Wiggle though are massive compared to other retailers,i applied for finance but was turned down,i'll have to save til next year now
- Bike box suggestions needed.1 year 33 weeks agoJust seen this in the produce
Just seen this in the produce blurb (had to search, the page is terrible!):Quote:
4. Integrated Seat Posts.
Bikebox is one of the few manufacturers that can cater for the 6ft 2in rider with integrated seat post. Straps are provided to accommodate the bike. Usually by removing the seat top section of the slide over post. Taller riders may have to remove the chain set.
I have a BBA, and it’s superb. Don’t be put off by the website.
- Kate Hoey calls for bikes to be registered and cyclists to pay "road tax"1 year 33 weeks agoIf 10 or 20 quid per year
If 10 or 20 quid per year would purchase motorists absolute acceptance of my right to be on the road and fair and equal treatment by our justice system for cyclists then I would be the first in the queue to pay!
Unfortunately, I suspect that Hoey's agenda is more concerned with driving cyclists off the street by adding barriers to participation; encouraging a hierarchy of use with the motorist firmly on top and using the meagre funds that would be generated to justify perpetuating the under provision of cycling facilities.
- Bike box suggestions needed.1 year 33 weeks agoPretty sure that Bike Box
Pretty sure that Bike Box Alan (http://bikeboxalan.co.uk) does a custom build if you’re struggling:Quote:
That this Specialist service as a surcharge of £25. Please note in certain cases chain rings and rear me mech may have to removed if you have a very large integrated seat post frame. Do not hesitate to contact our technical department if you need help with the specification
- Two cyclists dead and two seriously injured on a grim day on Britain's roads1 year 33 weeks agoWhen I read something like
When I read something like 'he cut in front of the bus' it worries me. I'd never do that but see so many cyclists taking risks like this. My view if you take any risk on a bike you need to be prepared to pay the consequences.
And I'm a devoted cyclist.