• Blink and you'll miss it… is this the quickest bike change ever?1 year 48 weeks agoGreat swap.

    Great swap.

  • USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 48 weeks agoSideBurn: Cortico-steroids

    SideBurn: Cortico-steroids cover a wide family of chemicals, with many potent effects. Effects such as weight loss, reduction of inflammation. These certainly can contribute towards performance and endurance. Further, there are many side-effects, particuarly with chronic abuse - and it is that which the riders are being protected from. Also, I would be just a little sceptical with any advice on the effects of drugs from a man who is famous for having said EPO was as safe as water. Finally, that link is Ferrari trying to rebut a blog on detecting autologous transfusions. It has nothing to do with the r-EPO test, or the '04 results on Armstrong.

    Dave: Yes, there were lots of quibbles and reasons why the '04 results from the '99 samples could not be used by UCI to sanction Armstrong. Note that /some/ of those reasons have in fact been dealt with through revisions to the WADA Code. E.g. retrospective testing is definitely, 100% allowed now.

    That the UCI found a multitude of procedural and (bizarely) motivational reasons why they couldn't use the results to sanction Armstrong does not detract from the fact that all the scientists stand by the validity of them, and that the UCI paperwork connecting them to Armstrong is not disputed by UCI.

    And, again, it sounds from this story like these same results are (at last) getting used in a case against Armstrong!

    Edit: Dave, I didn't read your last comment in full. Glad we're actually mostly in agreement. Wink

  • Has Phil Liggett lost it?1 year 48 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:What has he said

    Gkam84 wrote:
    What has he said thats wrong in this interview??

    Are you serious? The whole thing is a piece of hearsay. The story he recounts is so ridiculous as to be self-evidently untrue. He claims to be able to prove his allegations, but only in South Africa (?), yet doesn't. (Of course he could just be saying that he could prove he met a chap in Colorado, although why he could only prove this in SA...) I do not know how anyone, even the most devoted fan, could witness this intervew and still believe Lance Armstrong to be innocent.

  • See the new Kinesis TK3 at the Cycle Show1 year 48 weeks agoI've just ordered one!

    I've just ordered one! Big Grin

  • Norman Baker: Would-be cyclists are put off by safety concerns1 year 48 weeks agoMunicipal: Range, at least in

    Municipal: Range, at least in the sense of the highest and lowest ratios, isn't the problem. You're thinking of hub gears targeted mostly at the Anglo-Saxon cycle-enthusiast market. Those hub gears are trying to replicate dérailleurs in terms of range in the number of gears sense (to allow for closely-spaced ratios) - that is indeed difficult.

    But a utility cyclist generally doesn't need 10+ gears. The bikes in the Netherlands generally have 3 speed hub gears. One ultra-low gear, a normal gear for getting around, and a high gear.

    Re the lock: If you look really really carefully at the Batavus bike I linked to, it has an integrated wheel lock (look at the seatstay) . Wink

    Re changing clothes: You're thinking like a british cycling enthusiast. Normal people do not change their clothes to cycle about town, at least not in the Netherlands (and to be fair, a significant number of city cyclists in Glasgow aren't wearing cycle specific clothes either).

  • Norman Baker: Would-be cyclists are put off by safety concerns1 year 48 weeks agoWhen a pro Team bus drives in

    When a pro Team bus drives in this way what hope is there?

  • Has Phil Liggett lost it?1 year 48 weeks agoWhat has he said thats wrong

    What has he said thats wrong in this interview??

    I can't wait for the UCI and other agencies to get the full facts and rule on it. Bored of speculation

  • Gran Piemonte, anyone?1 year 48 weeks agoobutterwick wrote:....just as

    obutterwick wrote:
    ....just as a friendly/unofficial warm-up to Il Lombardia.

    Nice, obutter! But, c'mon, Dave, be a sport and pop it into the game for us! There's not much of a season left and we've been good boys this year! Wink

  • Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up1 year 48 weeks agoSpot on dullard. One can only

    Spot on dullard. One can only imagine what would have happened to the case against USPS if USADA had caved in to McQuaid's bullying and handed all the evidence to the UCI.

  • Norman Baker: Would-be cyclists are put off by safety concerns1 year 48 weeks agoPaul J wrote:On bike

    Paul J wrote:
    On bike maintenance: dérailleurs and rim brakes are both awfully fragile and maintenance intensive things. In the Netherlands the majority of utility bikes have 3-speed hub gears and drum brakes - working parts nicely sealed away. I wonder if they know anything.

    The difficulty in doing so is that the majority of hub gear systems don't allow for a very large range without being 'expensive'.
    I also remember when Trek released the Soho all people did was complain that the front Shimano drum brake was under-powered.

    I think there are 2 other serious things which put people off cycling:

    1 - Having to carry a big lock with you in order that your bike is still there when you get back (plus even then wondering whether some idiot has kicked in your back wheel) or having to use a cheaper bike than you would like because of security.

    2 - If your ride is over say, 5 miles then you are likely to want to have a change of clothes and maybe even a shower. Hardly any workplaces have provision for this and so it remains out of the question.

    Sadly regarding the 20mph speed limits the petrol-head in me is at odds with the cyclist. That said for someone who enjoys driving so much I'm probably in a minority of people which actually drive at 30mph (sometimes LESS!) when that is the speed limit. If there was a statistic for how many people get injured by cars when everyone obeyed the rules I'd put money on it being more effective than a lower limit alone. Sad

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 48 weeks agoWhat a pleb she is. Doesnt

    What a pleb she is.

    Doesnt she own a toothbrush either?

  • Has Phil Liggett lost it?1 year 48 weeks agoHe is a loon and I bet he is

    He is a loon and I bet he is gutted Vino has retired Olympic Champion because he cant shout that out any more. Mind you if he is still commentating next year it will be "Here is Sammy Sanchez, Ex Olympic Champion"

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 48 weeks agoTaking influence from the

    Taking influence from the easysridingabike article above, I see she calls cyclists a race. She then goes on to make sweeping generalisations based on her own prejudiced ideas portraying cyclists in a negative light. This is racism.

  • Norman Baker: Would-be cyclists are put off by safety concerns1 year 48 weeks agojames-o wrote:Quote:Article

    james-o wrote:
    Quote:
    Article on bbc about head cam cyclist, showing some of his near misses. Essex police comment that they have seen some footage but haven't seen any evidence of any offences being committed.

    Most cars will have these cameras fairly soon. In Taiwan, many already do. Insurance companies value the evidence. I wonder if they'd also value the ability to raise premiums of those filmed driving like idiots? No idea if this is possible, but if so, I'm sure they would.

    Funnily enough I was just thinking the same thing yesterday after a coach and car passed waaay too close for comfort on my ride to work… maybe a website should gather all this stuff together so it's easy for insurance companies to find.

  • Ennello Alpe d' Huez Primo stem1 year 48 weeks agotony_farrelly wrote:Municipal

    tony_farrelly wrote:
    Municipal Waste wrote:

    Also because I feel like being annoying...

    Years Riding: Less than 5.
    I would class myself as: Expert.

    Thinking

    Put your willy away please Municipal Waste.

    Strangely enough if you're very good and ride a lot it is possible to be an expert in under five years (in Liam's case it's probably over five years now cos those details are a bit old - unlike Liam).

    Liam is an elite mountain bike racer and a 2nd cat roadie. Here's a link to his points page on the British Cycling website

    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/points?person_id=104093&type=national&y...

    … looks pretty expert to me.

    Of course it's also possible to ride for a long time, with expensive kit and still be crap - like me, or to become one of those irritating cycling snobs that gives us friendlier types a bad name. Luckily there are none of them around here… well, apart from Vecchiojo.

    Touche Waiting

  • Trixie Front Box dog basket1 year 48 weeks agoGreat photo

    Great photo Cool

  • Paul Kimmage Defense Fund1 year 48 weeks agoHow much is needed? I know

    How much is needed? I know legal rep is expensive and Switzerland(?) maybe even more so.

  • See the new Kinesis TK3 at the Cycle Show1 year 48 weeks agomaybe the small frame size of

    maybe the small frame size of that blue tk3 is to blame, but the tubes look enormous, esp the downtube. looks like a child's bike!

  • Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up1 year 48 weeks agodr, gkam etc - are you being

    dr, gkam etc - are you being wilfully ignorant about the UCI, Verbruggen and McQuaid, money paid to them etc or you really don't know much about it? McQuaid for one thing has been within the UCI cabal for way longer than he has been president. During both his and Verbruggen's reign the UCI has consistently suppressed voices raising valid concerns about its being complicit in allowing doping and covering up (Kimmage, Dick Pound and Michael Ashenden spring to mind). And no, of course you don't have any remit at all in terms of doping in cycling - you aren't responsible if Armstrong, Millar, Contador or your own dogs doped. But your complacency about the position of the UCI is where you're part of the problem. The UCI is critical in terms of doping because the UCI is the body that is supposed to regulate cycling and how it works, including the issue of performance-enhancing drugs, dope testing (when the UCI took over testing from the AFLD for the TdF in 2009, when Armstrong came back and miraculously finished on the podium, it resulted in not one positive test and was heralded as proof positive that the 'war on doping' was being won with the first race without a positive since 2005 - 2008 had seen several CERA positives) and issuing and coordinating bans. When the regulator of a sport turns a blind to eye to the taking of these drugs and, arguably, encourages it, the situation requires righting. Just turning a blind eye and saying that you think the UCI does a pretty good job is just poor.

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 48 weeks agoIn the words of Steve Jones

    In the words of Steve Jones (Sex Pistols):

    "What a fucking rotter!"

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 48 weeks agohttp://aseasyasridingabike.wo

    http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/the-terrible-journal...

  • USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 48 weeks agoPaul; have a look at this,

    Paul; have a look at this, and other articles on 53x12.com. http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=119 It puts the other side of the story, from, admittedly the person who supposedly doped Lance. Also Cortico-steroids are banned, but why? They sound a bit like Anabolic-steroids but are not performance enhancing. The science is complex as the article above illustrates; I want to see Lance hung out to dry as much as you seem to, but I also want to see justice done and I would like to know how he passed so many tests despite being doped. If this secret dossier is so clear and compelling then why not just publish it?

  • USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 48 weeks agoPaul J wrote: L'Equipe joined

    Paul J wrote:

    L'Equipe joined the dots and broke the story, but the story is about serious analytical research work done by scientists working on EPO testing. To say this was just a newspaper investigation is somewhat odd - you could dismiss anything that way, just cause a newspaper reports on it!

    that's not really what i'm saying, and i don't think your last point bears scrutiny; as the report you linked to outlines, it was l'Equipe who linked the positives, which were in essence a research project, to Armstrong. The UCI and WADA fell out about whether to investigate and whose mandate it was, in part due to the way in which the information came to light; the research may have been serious and analytical, but it wasn't conducted with the aim of catching anyone in particular. Things got a bit messy, as you say.

    As I think Tygart makes clear, there's no confusion regarding the test results and the evidence as far as USADA are concerned, and a clear mandate to investigate, not clouded by the manner in which the evidence appeared. That's what has been missing from previous investigations, and that was my point; sorry if it wasn't clear and I wasn't belittling the research.

  • Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up1 year 48 weeks agodrheaton wrote: On the other

    drheaton wrote:

    On the other hand, if it turns out the UCI took bribes or covered up doping and continue to cover that up or McQuaid is in full knowledge of this then that changes things. You can't blame them for trying to preserve a governing body which is finally making progress against doping though, but to find out the UCI were complicit would be a body blow and set the sport back years. Someone, whether that's the current regime or the past, would need to be held accountable but I still don't see how you can blame McQuaid for things that happened a decade before he became president.


    Lance Armstrong made "donations" totalling $125,000 (that we know about) to the UCI. When Floyd Landis told the media of this, Hein Verbruggen (current Vice President) called him a "liar". Pat McQuaid has since said that taking the money may have been a "mistake".

    Question: If the money was not a bribe, why did the UCI originally deny recieving it?

  • Why must cyclists behave before they get bike paths?1 year 48 weeks agohandlebarcam wrote: ...Range

    handlebarcam wrote:

    ...Range Rovers - which were rare twenty years ago, but they and their imitators are common now - have expanded by about half a road bike's width, to the point where there are many rural roads on which they take up every last centimeter of tarmac. Even if you gave up your legal right of way, and took to the verge, you'd still risk getting slapped by the wing mirrors (also designed to look chunky and butch, and filled with heavy electric motors.)...

    Hmmm, interesting point this. Since I was a kid, the ever-stricter safety regulations have been a big part of ballooning car design. NCAP safety ratings, side impact bars, crumple zones, more airbags than a strip club, and, indeed, EU-regulation mirror sizes (no, really!). Of course, the EU safety regs apply across the EU though.

    Not sure where to go with this line of thinking now -

    1. Why isn't vehicle size an increasing problem on the continent? (Assuming it isn't)
    2. The drive for increased vehicle safety is about more than just drivers - car specification and manufacture is an arms war of one-upmanship, aided and abetted by 'government calls for mandatory [insert safety feature here]' and burgeoning minimum safety standards.

    It's also a double-edged sword - those same safety regs have also given us such gems as ABS brakes, which have probably saved a few of us, in addition to all the occupant lives saved.