- Suggestions for the 2013 season1 year 47 weeks agoI still like the idea of just
I still like the idea of just picking 9 riders regardless of stars / ds.
There has been some stages where the ds sprinters have faired really well and you could literally have had 9 ds' going for the stage.
- Italy: Bikes outsell cars in 2011 for first time since World War II1 year 47 weeks agoI'm sure ISTAT, Italy's
I'm sure ISTAT, Italy's national statistics agency, would have figures on the total car parc, but there'd be no chance of getting similar figures for bikes simply because unlike cars, they don't need to be registered.
The fact more bikes are being sold than cars in Italy of all places is huge news though.
It's a valid point that given the current economic situation some people may be making do and mending rather than buying new cars.
But one of the sources I used in researching this article said that many cyclists were doing that too, learning maintenance skills so they could get old bikes back on the road, so it cuts both ways.
- Italy: Bikes outsell cars in 2011 for first time since World War II1 year 47 weeks agoHaving spent a lot of time in
Having spent a lot of time in Rome i can see why more people by bikes. The roads system in and around Rome is a nightmare and you hardly see a car that isnt damaged by some sort of bump.
Plus the Italian economy is in massive decline with the euro problems so buying a bike is the more sensible arrangement.
- Italy: Bikes outsell cars in 2011 for first time since World War II1 year 47 weeks agoMaybe a naive question but,
Maybe a naive question but, the statistics used are only for sales of new cars and bikes with the economy the way it is most people will not be buying new but holding on to old etc. Are there any figures for total number of cars owned/on the road versus bikes?
- Veho Muvi HD10 bundle1 year 47 weeks agoI've got one of these - it's
I've got one of these - it's very good quality, and has survived a couple of high speed mount breaking 'incidents' (I've tried a few home made options to get the camera into more interesting positions, but they havent always worked!) with just a couple of scratches.
One question - how was the camera mounted in the final bit of footage (mounted by the rear wheel)? Any chance of a couple of pics of the mount?
- Suggestions for the 2013 season1 year 47 weeks agodrheaton wrote:By placingdrheaton wrote:
By placing more restrictions on what you spend your credits on you're basically stopping people from using tactics like having 5 very expensive DSs and 4 very cheap stars or vica-versa. I think this would actually end up causing most teams to look the same, even more so than they do now.
i'm not sure it would: all it would stop you doing is spunking all your budget on the four/five best stars and then filling up with no-hopers. there'd just be a maximum spend on stars; it wouldn't stop you from picking all DSs if you wanted to. the idea being that you'd need to think harder about your whole team. like i said before, the people that end up at the top will have teams that are essentially the same. that's inevitable.
- WTD : 3/4 Bib Tights1 year 47 weeks agodhb (Wiggle) do a range of
dhb (Wiggle) do a range of 3/4 bib-tights, they're my commuting wear of choice for about 9 months a year. You can;t have mine, I like them too much...
- Need help on what bike to buy1 year 47 weeks agoBoardman Road Race currently
Boardman Road Race currently available for £629 with Halfords web discount offer ('til 4 Oct).
Cycling Active magazine rated the B'twin Triban 3 (from Decathlon) highly. It's a £300 bike which would allow you to upgrade the wheels and tyres. Do a search and you'll see the bike has quite a following.
- Chrome introduce new Ike Windbreaker jacket1 year 47 weeks agoWould be nice if it were
Would be nice if it were easier to get here.
I ordered something off the Chrome website once, after ludicrous postage charges and import duties etc added I really wish I hadn't.
Second time, got it sent to wife's friend in Texas who sent it on to us... but she wouldn't accept so much as a cent towards postage so felt guilty about that.
- Suggestions for the 2013 season1 year 47 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:That makes itGkam84 wrote:
That makes it ever better if you have to pick "crap" DS's, then you have to pick ones who might finish in the top 20, plenty of them this season. Also riders from teams the winner might come from OR aim for the last place man
The problem with this is that there may be fewer low value DSs who'll be worth picking as the ones in form or 'emerging' mid-season (Bouhanni is a good example, as is Quintana) would increase in price and become unaffordable if you're also having to shell out 35+ credits each for Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador and Froome... I know that you always had the option of not picking those 4 at the Vuelta but with the scores weighted towards the first couple of riders over the line you want riders who you think will finish 1, 2 and 3 (90 points) rather than 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 (also 90 points). It's just human nature to pick the winners and with the scoring as it is there's a clear incentive to pick those riders rather than potential scorers who'll finish outside the top 5 or so on a stage but may top 20.dave_atkinson wrote:
really like the star budget/ds budget idea. that could work well, deciding whether to spunk your 100 on two or three big names or spreading it over four riders.
Not sure on this, it all depends on what exactly you want the change to acheive. If you want to encourage people to pick different teams with loads of variation and different tactics then this won't do that. By placing more restrictions on what you spend your credits on you're basically stopping people from using tactics like having 5 very expensive DSs and 4 very cheap stars or vica-versa. I think this would actually end up causing most teams to look the same, even more so than they do now.
I've said before that I'd quite like to see fewer restrictions and see the 4/5 split go all-together ( or even have a 3 stars, 2 anything 4 DS split for more flexibility) but I guess it all depends on how you want the game to work. I would say that as you're already making a massive change with the varying rider values I'd consider leaving any other big changes for 2014 just so you can see how the new value system works before changing splits/credit limits or anything else.
- has there been research into the perfect lighting array for cycles1 year 47 weeks agoI agree, this is an area some
I agree, this is an area some useful research could be done. I used to motorcycle and had a similar dilemma; do you put the main beam or dip beam on? Main beam is more visible, but much harder for drivers to judge your distance and speed. I suspect that beyond a certain point, brighter is not better.
- Climbing when wet1 year 47 weeks agoFATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:SorryFATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:
Sorry I can't give advice on this because the only climbing I do whilst wet is out of the bath
- Climbing when wet1 year 47 weeks agoSorry I can't give advice on
Sorry I can't give advice on this because the only climbing I do whilst wet is out of the bath
- Chrome introduce new Ike Windbreaker jacket1 year 47 weeks agochrome do have a dealer
chrome do have a dealer network in the UK but it's mostly IBDs, not the big online guys
- Brooks introduce new backpack and revamp range1 year 47 weeks agoI think that Brooks are
I think that Brooks are getting a little carried away with themselves
- Moda 2013: UK-built carbon monocoque, new steel frames, plus big upgrades1 year 47 weeks agoMy friend was quite taken by
My friend was quite taken by the Molto whilst at the NEC and has decided to buy/order it but as of yet none of the 2013 models are on their site that you've provided a link for.
- UCI reiterates why it is suing journalist Paul Kimmage for defamation1 year 47 weeks agoMaybe Lance should 'come out'
Maybe Lance should 'come out' and tell the truth.........
- Chrome introduce new Ike Windbreaker jacket1 year 47 weeks agoVery nice. I was wondering
Very nice. I was wondering why you didn't have a price and then I see its all in USD. But $125 at todays exchange is around £77......Don't expect to see it cheaper than £100 in the UK??
Its that nice I might get it bought in the US and sent to me by a friend. I can't find it online for sale in the UK.
- Boardman Bikes go electronic1 year 47 weeks agoWhy no Di2 on the AiR 9.8?
Why no Di2 on the AiR 9.8?
- has there been research into the perfect lighting array for cycles1 year 47 weeks agoI have no idea. I just base
I have no idea. I just base my lights on the rear so that people can easily work out I'm a bike, I never thought about their perception of how close or far away they were from me either as I'll see them normally long before they see me
Interested to find out if there are any studies.
- FS: Specialized Roubaix Expert SL 58cm 20091 year 47 weeks agoHi , i dont suppose this i
Hi , i dont suppose this i stil for sale is it ?
- All Cross-Dressed Up….1 year 47 weeks ago@x8swift9x - I have the
@x8swift9x - I have the kenesis pureCX fork with tektro cr720 brakes on my cross-check and the tektro hanger with barrel adjuster has made the world of difference. Definitely recommended
- Olympics provide massive boost to cycling in UK, says new LSE report for Sky and British Cycling1 year 47 weeks ago"seven in ten non-cyclists
"seven in ten non-cyclists among 1,000 people questioned before and after the Games believe that there will be a permanent positive effect on cycling in the UK as a result of this summer’s success."
That's an easy connection to make if asked by a researcher but do they specify what kind of positive effect might occur? Seems a bit woolly otherwise.
"Prior to the Games, 19 per cent of respondents who ride a bike described themselves as occasional cyclists, with 42 per cent saying they were regular and 28 per cent frequent cyclists. Following the Olympics, those figures had risen to, respectively, 33 per cent, 64 per cent and 66 per cent."
But these are people who already cycle
And although it has generally been a poor summer, the survey was conducted in August. Do it again in February.
However, the migration between segments should also mean that as more people cycle more often there appear to be more cyclists. That in turn may lead open minded non-cyclists (i.e. not lazy, bigoted newspaper columnists) to consider giving it a try. But as was said again only last week, fear of traffic is by far the biggest barrier to increased cycling.
- Need help on what bike to buy1 year 47 weeks agoI see you live in Wigan - you
I see you live in Wigan - you could do worse than go to the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op in Rusholme in Manchester. Their own brand range Revolution are very good value for money.
- Cavendish to OPQS1 year 47 weeks agoYes, budgets, but we are
Yes, budgets, but we are talking about NEXT season. Budgets might have been laid out, but we are far from the first race of next season. Budgets can be adjusted before then.
Not every team can afford him. But most could if they and their sponsors wanted him.