- DfT's Think Cyclist campaign: Why so little funding in comparison to motorcycle awareness campaign?1 year 47 weeks agoIf we hold in mind that the
If we hold in mind that the target for this campaign is motorists who don't ride a bike, then the message is a very useful one – that most cyclists also drive a car.
Of the guidance for drivers and cyclists, the only one I really take issue with is the 'high viz and helmets' which smacks of 'blame the victim' thinking.
£80k won't buy much media space but the message will reach some people. I think we have to recognised that in politics there's a huge amount of inertia so getting any new issue (like cycle safety) funded in a time of spending constraint is quite an achievement.
It's the same with infrastructure spending – the challenge is to get politicians into the habit of regularly spending money on cycle-safety related projects. Over time this will increase, but by nature they are too cautious to go for big budget projects.
In response to Mostyn's comments about the cycling organisations. They represent their members, most of whom are hard core - touring cyclists in the CTC and competitive cyclists in BC (many of whom may only cycle on training rides and races and never ride in towns or the rush hour). So they will always support proposals that are in the interests of their core membership.
- Avanti 2013: carbon road bikes, practical urban bikes and a super-slippery TTer1 year 47 weeks agoI ride a Quantum 1.0 2011 and
I ride a Quantum 1.0 2011 and love it. I think the frameset is unchanged. They're great bikes and the new Quantum Team with DA 9000 Di2 looks well lush.
- Perhaps one of the worst cases of driver abuse I've seen1 year 47 weeks agodrheaton wrote:I wonder ifdrheaton wrote:
I wonder if his wife was sleeping with one of the cyclists... There must be extenuating circumstances, there's no reason for him to act in that way and it was certainly exagerated. Beeping as he drives past closely is one thing but sitting behind them for so long whilst other cars overtake him is bizarre.
[[[[ NO NO NO! You've ALL got it wrong. The frustrated tank-driver is peevish because the pesky cyclist (or both cyclists) had REFUSED to pound his wife, who is a dog. The offer was made (b4 the video starts) by "her indoors" as tubby-hubby likes to call her, (or"her in Chelsea Tank"), who is actually sprawled in the back, and had stuck her bits out of the window at the velo-men back up the road--- but as she is a dog, they pedalled swiftly on, yelling "No ta, we're very busy just now!" And the bikies are also aware that she's known locally as "Beatrice the Bike", which is baffling as she has no velo. However, it's rumoured that she keeps Fiziks and B17's in her drawers---in the spare room, that is. All very strange, but these facts might explain why hubby-wubby bought the monster wheels all those years ago, even b4 he became impotent, and insanely jealous of cyclists' chunky thighs.
- Wanted Cyclocross Bike1 year 47 weeks agosteveh wrote:Hi Mostyn,
If bike still for sale, would offer you £700?
Let me know.
Thanks for the offer; but, No thanks. Sorry.
- DfT's Think Cyclist campaign: Why so little funding in comparison to motorcycle awareness campaign?1 year 47 weeks agoMOT, half hearted approach to
MOT, half hearted approach to a serious subject! Life and the safety of it, is of no real concern to the powers that be at the MOT. And as for our so called cycling organisations? We should all pull out of them, they seem to be un-concerned about the dangers their members face while cycling on the roads of the UK.
- is it worth considering a genesis equilibrium as a bike for upgrading?1 year 47 weeks agothanks a lot for your replies
thanks a lot for your replies
i must admit to being very impressed by the bike when i saw the red equilibrium 20 in john's bikes in bath (it looked lovely).
i must admit to having a big soft spot for the classic steel road bikes (i think it comes from watching greg lemond era tour de france/looking through those freewheel catalogues from the late 80's) and the genesis bike looks bang on the money tbh for me.
i really hope my local shop can order them (as i have p'xed another bike towards the road bike.whatever that may end up being
- Who is going where ?1 year 47 weeks agoThe full IAM Cycling squad
The full IAM Cycling squad is:
- Parlee Z-Zero launched – with disc brake option1 year 47 weeks agoI thought the road BB7s were
I thought the road BB7s were silver? They look like the MTB versions.
- is it worth considering a genesis equilibrium as a bike for upgrading?1 year 47 weeks agoAlso yes.
You can buy the
You can buy the frame and fork and build as you see fit.
I built mine with veloce group and bracciano wheels and its great. (thanks to Dave's review!)
Shop around and it might be cheaper than a built one.
It isnt the lightest of frames but doesnt seem any slower than my plastic bikes.. and my build is about the same weight as the new Ti version at half the price.
- Team Sky. A force for evil ??1 year 47 weeks agoAll the Sky haters should
All the Sky haters should just group together and put £5 each to an underfunded, poorly run Pro-Continental team of middling riders led by a blinkered, old skool DS/manager. They won't have to worry about their proud 'rooting for the underdog' position getting corrupted by the riders or the team being seen as arrogant, overly ambitious in their goals, having a big team bus or, god forbid, anybody actually winning a race.
(not that I'm against underdogs; far from it!)
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 47 weeks agoAnyone know the weight
Anyone know the weight difference between the Genesis Steel and Ti frames?
- Next year's Giro d'Italia features stage finish on the Col du Galibier (+ video)1 year 47 weeks agoBecause they don't have
Because they don't have enough stupidly mental climbs in Italy they could use?
No Stelvio Pass in 2013 though
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 47 weeks agoCan we have a video review
Can we have a video review please chaps ?
- is it worth considering a genesis equilibrium as a bike for upgrading?1 year 47 weeks agoThe 2013 is due any day so im
The 2013 is due any day so im hoping that 2012 full bikes may start appearing with good savings. The 2012 frameset is impossible to find now (ive tried)
I currently have a Aether and want to upgrade to the Equilibrium.
If i dont see a too-good-to-miss 2012 full bike i will probably buy the 2013 frame and build it up myself (my budget isnt to the same level as Dave though !)
Ive really looked hard to find a frame/ bike that looks as good as Genesis in that price range and nothing compares (in my opinion)
- DfT's new Think Cyclist campaign fails to get cycling organisations on board1 year 47 weeks agoJohn Stevenson wrote:it's aJohn Stevenson wrote:
it's a way of appearing to do something that's a lot cheaper than actually solving the problem by decent road design.
Unfortunately true. Happened lots of times before.gazza_d wrote:
Bear in mind that the budget for this campaign is the same as the subsidy for 16 electric cars and you will see how little time, effort and money is being put into this.
Now that is putting it in perspective!
The 'blame the victim' attitude prevalent in so many of the DfT's road safety campaigns does absolutely nothing but reinforce the idea that cycling is a dangerous form of transport, yet it is far from the case.
- Opinions please. Transfer post1 year 47 weeks agoThere we go folks. Its up
There we go folks. Its up http://road.cc/content/forum/67036-transfers-2013-world-and-pro-continen...
My eyes are pickled with having three screens running to code, research and combine
- is it worth considering a genesis equilibrium as a bike for upgrading?1 year 47 weeks agomaybe i should elaborate
maybe i should elaborate
it's a brilliant frame. mine's currently running sram apex and some fairly low-end ritchey wheels and it's lovely. it's had full ultegra 6700 and a £1k wheelset on it in the past and it never felt like mutton dressed as lamb.
- is it worth considering a genesis equilibrium as a bike for upgrading?1 year 47 weeks agoyes
- DfT's Think Cyclist campaign: Why so little funding in comparison to motorcycle awareness campaign?1 year 47 weeks agoTo put some horribly crude
To put some horribly crude figures on it, that's £3k per motorcycle road death and £1.4k per cycle road death.
You might think that with cycle casualties being the only type that are increasing faster than usage rates that more funding rather than less would be justified...
- Team Sky. A force for evil ??1 year 47 weeks agoThe Sky road team, have just
The Sky road team, have just been putting into practice what Brailsford, Boardman and their mates have been doing on the track for 12 years or more.
I think it's that Brailsford etc had the vision to transfer that to the road, and that Sky were brave enough to put up the cash.
I would love to see other UK based and managed protour teams.
Next year I would not be surprised to see Wiggo go for the Giro. Sky and Cav to go for green in the TDF and Froome to try again in the vuelta.
DB knows and I suspect always knew that Yellow and green in the TDF was too big an ask for one team. I also think that he's too canny not to think that Cav would be unsettled as a superdomestique and occasional stage winner, The guy wants green and quite possibly to win the most TDF stages of anyone. Think Sky will reshape for the tour around Cav next year.
- Team Sky. A force for evil ??1 year 47 weeks agothe thing I don't like about
the thing I don't like about them is the way they have to be the best at little things, like making sure they have the biggest most expensive team bus at the Tour. It makes them come across as quite arrogant and self important in my opinion.
- DfT's new Think Cyclist campaign fails to get cycling organisations on board1 year 47 weeks agoIt doesn't have a
It doesn't have a moon-walking bear in it.
For that reason, I'm out.
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 47 weeks agotj wrote:Looking forward totj wrote:
Looking forward to seeing a more detailed review...
This isn't a review.
- DfT's Think Cyclist campaign: Why so little funding in comparison to motorcycle awareness campaign?1 year 47 weeks agoratattat wrote:Something isratattat wrote:
Something is better than nothing
This is true, but I feel that British Cycling, the CTC and others have missed a trick this year. Surely, following such a brilliant summer of cycling, some of the big names should be coerced into doing something really outstanding to raise awareness of the dangers experienced by all cyclists. In a society that seems to value celebrity above all else, I'm fairly certain that a hard-hitting message or two from the likes of Wiggo, Cav, Hoy, Pendleton et al would have an infinitely bigger impact than the same message from the likes of you or me.
I've suggested the same to Brian Cookson, who told me BC "Will bear your comments in mind as we plan our strategic approach to the issues of driver behaviour, etc. You may have noticed we have been more active in that area in recent months after leaving it to the CTC in the past."
I've also suggested that Sky (and associated Murdoch interests) would be the ideal conduit to get the message out there to the ordinary men and women on the street.
So far, I can see no progress and as the collective memory of British cycling success in the summer of 2012 fades away, the chances of anything happening is receding.
Further comment here, if you have a minute: http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/wiggins-speaks-out...
- Opinions please. Transfer post1 year 47 weeks agoSneak peak to test my coding
Sneak peak to test my coding skills......
World Tour Teams as of 2012
Yauheni Hutarovich from FDJ-BigMat
Davide Appollonio from Team Sky
Carlos Betancur from Acqua & Sapone
Steve Chainel from FDJ-BigMat
Samuel Dumoulin from Cofidis
Julian Kern from Loepard - Trek Continental
Domenico Pozzovivo from Colnago CSF Inox