- Praise for car website's article showing drivers how to share the road safely with cyclists2 years 16 weeks agoAnything that highlights that
Anything that highlights that fact - that people aren't just a Motorist or a Cyclist is welcome, it helps reduce the polarised opinions and the them v us mentality.
- Lorry kills young woman cyclist at Bow roundabout in East London2 years 16 weeks agoThis is terrible. I warned my
This is terrible. I warned my wife - who cycles to Stratford regularly - a few weeks ago that I thought this cycle superhighway was exceptionally dangerous. In fact I think they are all dangerous to a greater or lesser degree. It is very sad to be proved right twice within a few weeks. Perhaps renaming them 'cycle superdeathways 'would make the point better?
- Finish Line Gear Floss2 years 16 weeks agoindeed
- OneTen Vento Wind Jacket2 years 16 weeks agoQuote:our test model was moreQuote:
our test model was more generously sized than normal
Are you usually smaller than that, Mat?
- Lorry kills young woman cyclist at Bow roundabout in East London2 years 16 weeks agoMrs Dorling,
Last night, when
Last night, when I was writing this news piece I thought of how you would feel hearing that another person had died in much the same spot and in seemingly similar circumstances so soon after your husband was killed there. As the two posters before me said more eloquently than me you and your family are in our thoughts as are the family of yesterday's victim, and the family of Olin Poulson.
You are undoubtedly right that somebody at TfL has some serious questions to answer here, as does the Mayor. The last three weeks have sadly proved that blue paint and hope are no substitutes for properly thought out cycling infrastructure.
- Lord Nelson Lemon Tea Drink v Isotonic Drink2 years 16 weeks agogotta be worth a go. let us
gotta be worth a go. let us know how you get on!
- How Many Miles In One Day?2 years 16 weeks agohmm, skeggy or lake geneva?
hmm, skeggy or lake geneva?
- Praise for car website's article showing drivers how to share the road safely with cyclists2 years 16 weeks agoAn interesting article but I
An interesting article but I disagree with this, “In the same way that a cyclist would be at fault in a smash with a pedestrian,” the article continues. “With the driver always at fault in any accident, drivers become evidently more cautious around cyclists."
So let me get this straight. When I was cycling along the street in N London a few years back and a Danish couple looked the wrong way and then marched straight into the street in front of me, this was somehow my fault? I was not cycling at high speed with my head down and was slowing down because I was near to my office. I had so little time to react that while I grabbed a handful of both brakes I had barely slowed and hit them both, full on. I had no choice in trying to swerve around them as I'd have gone under a bus that was overtaking, quite legally, at the time. Luckily no-one was hurt beyond a few bruises and minor cuts, but this incident was in no way my fault, which they graciously and admitted while apologising profusely.
- keo classic non slip cleats2 years 16 weeks agoYep, they can be less than
Yep, they can be less than positive, esp. once the "grip" starts to wear (which, being soft material, is too soon!). If you can find any of the old, non-non-slip cleats, they are IMHO much better in this respect.
- Edinburgh cyclist clings to bonnet of speeding car during rush hour road rage attack2 years 16 weeks agocidermart wrote:i thinkcidermart wrote:
i think oldridgeback nailed it as it's only involving a cyclist isn't it. i wouldn't be suprised if Mr Thomson doesn't end up on a criminal damage charge or traveling in/on a motor vehicle without a seatbelt fine. sadly there are far too many of these people and i fear a small fine or a "you naughty boy" is in the offing even if he is caught. i do hope i am proved wrong.
I'm from Edinburgh and I know that area and I know it's extremely unlikely that a pursuit stretching from Slateford to Castle Terrace, quite a distance, was not captured on CCTV. The West End of Edinburgh is a busy area for traffic and the end of Lothian Road also has a poor reputation for assault at night, so it is unimaginable that no traffic cameras or CCTV would have picked up the Renault and its licence plate. I know for a fact that there are camers covering parts of Castle Terrace.
Why have the police been unable to recover this footage? Given that there will only be a specific number of Renaults of that colour registered in Edinburgh, a quick glance at the PNC II would yield some names of owners. Cross-checking them against those with a previous record for violence would narrow the field. And since the cyclist has a rough idea of the offender's age range, it shouldn't be too hard to reduce the suspect list to a few names that could be counted on the fingers of one hand. A quick glance at their vehicle for recent damage and a match with traffic camera or CCTV footage would seal the deal. I can't believe Lothian and Borders police don't know all this, so my guess is that they simply haven't bothered because they don't give a toss as it is 'only a cyclist', despite the official statement.
Come on, Detective Inspector George Thomson, prove me wrong.
- Lorry kills young woman cyclist at Bow roundabout in East London2 years 16 weeks agoBrian's wife - I think
Brian's wife - I think everyone on this site would like to offer their condolences. Many of us have families too.
I've not ridden that Cycle Superhighway but I have ridden the A3 one from Clapham-Kennington numerous times, as well as driven my car and my motorbike along the route and I know there are areas that are extremely poorly designed and which expose cyclists to danger needlessly. A pot of blue paint is not an adequate method for improving the safety of cyclists.
- Driver charged in connection with death of Edinburgh cyclist Audrey Fyfe2 years 16 weeks agoDriving without due care and
Driving without due care and attention is not a major charge. The person will be banned and fined but I expect will not face a prison sentence and will possibly be dricing again within 12 months.
- Toronto driver charged with assault with a weapon after forcing cyclist off bike with his car2 years 16 weeks agoThese days a shake of the
These days a shake of the head is as much of a response as I give to rubbish car drivers. The problem is that so many people turn into psychotics behind the wheel and assume that those on a bicycle are some sort of inferior being, perhaps not realising that most adult cyclists have a car but choose to be on two wheels.
It's good that the Canadian authorities are taking this seriously. I hope the sentence meted out also reflects the severity of the attack. I suspect that the incident in Edinburgh may not turn out so well in favour of the victim though. Despite the distance over which the pursuit was carried out and the likelihood of there being CCTV evidence, the fact that Lothian and Borders police have so far been unable to catch the assailant suggests that the investigation is half-arsed. If the police are able to get off their bums and prove me wrong, then I'll happily apologise but until then I remain unimpressed.
- Finish Line Gear Floss2 years 16 weeks agoHmmmm, have Finish Line been
Hmmmm, have Finish Line been watching too much Monty Python? These look suspiciously like Emperor Stringettes, just the right length.
- How Many Miles In One Day?2 years 16 weeks agoThanks for all your replies,
Thanks for all your replies, some good pointers to take in.
We did a St Bees - Robin Hoods Bay trip in July of this year for our company charity of the year, Alzheimers Society, taking in Hardknott, Wrynose, The Struggle @ Kirkstone and the like, was absolutely fantastic.
The proposed ride next year will be from Tutbury in Staffordshire to Skegness and back. However, a couple of us on the night shift this week are mulling over the possibility of riding from our Croydon Head Office to Head Office Worldwide in Vevey Switzerland which is situated on Lake Geneva. Really like the idea of this, approx 1000k in 6 days. I imagine the mountain climbs would be epic!!!!
- Seven Cycles unveil new top-end CX frameset2 years 16 weeks agobelgravedave wrote:I'm surebelgravedave wrote:
I'm sure it's a great ride but by god it's ugly.
Yeah... Seven will make it look lovey for you though - but it'll cost you another 500£!
- Gucci x Bianchi bike lid collab2 years 16 weeks agoIt's a skateboard potty with
It's a skateboard potty with a clipon visor. Can I review one? I promise to be nice....
- Lord Nelson Lemon Tea Drink v Isotonic Drink2 years 16 weeks agoYes.
Er sorry I don't
Er sorry I don't know
Guess you haven't tried it yet then.... But on face of it I'd have thought it would have a similar "performance"
Interested to know what results are
- Lorry kills young woman cyclist at Bow roundabout in East London2 years 16 weeks agoBrian's Wife
I don't think
I don't think anyone will mind if I speak for everyone here in saying that you are in all of our hearts right now. Nobody should have to go through what you are going through, and purely due to lack of political will and nous of those in control.
I think your lack of (expressed) anger is a great credit to you.
My heart goes out to you and your family in this difficult time.
- Lorry kills young woman cyclist at Bow roundabout in East London2 years 16 weeks agoI am Brian Dorling's wife.
I am Brian Dorling's wife. He was killed on the CS2 almost 3 weeks ago. My life and that of our 3 children has been devastated. He was my best friend and soulmate I am utterly distraught. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of the young woman killed on the same roundabout yesterday, we know exactly what they are going through. Whoever designed the superhighway on that roundabout is completely negligent.
- Lorry kills young woman cyclist at Bow roundabout in East London2 years 16 weeks agoWhy have they arrested the
Why have they arrested the driver?
He'll be questioned, charged, bailed, get his day in court and go home scott free.
We all know how this works, you have to negligently kill at least three cyclists before you get even a chance of jail.
Further shame and disgrace on this crappy little country of ours.
- Seven Cycles unveil new top-end CX frameset2 years 16 weeks agoI'm sure it's a great ride
I'm sure it's a great ride but by god it's ugly.
- Edinburgh cyclist clings to bonnet of speeding car during rush hour road rage attack2 years 16 weeks agoI have every faith in the
I have every faith in the cops finding this guy. I just hope the courts do there bit when it comes to sentancing this idiot!! I commute in Edinburgh most days and most drivers are fine. I'd say every city/town has it's fair share of kn**heads.
- Seven Cycles unveil new top-end CX frameset2 years 16 weeks agoOr a Ridley X-Fire, which
Or a Ridley X-Fire, which isn't markedly different from the X-Knight, and has a significant World Cup pedigree and a well dialed, proven geometry. I have one and it cost me just around $3000 (CDN), which is apparently about £1800, and that's with wheels and a Force gruppo and everything.
That frame IS lovely and all, but I can't believe it'll last any longer than my X-Fire, which is usually the reason you get into exotic materials like Titanium.
- Cycling on windy days2 years 16 weeks agoWhere I cycle in South Wales
Where I cycle in South Wales it's a choice between lots of hills where you at least get the "weeeeeeeeee" factor going down or a flat wind tunnel along the Severn Estuary. The scenery is beautiful though and the wind thing, well it's character building, apparently