- Defeated by Blaze Hill, gears for 25% incline1 year 43 weeks agoI've done a couple 25% roads
I've done a couple 25% roads in Cornwall (there are plenty). But that was on my bike with a Rohloff hub, which goes as low as MTB gears.
This year I failed to get up a Cornish hill on 34 x 29 (Church Hill, Golant). Thinking back, I should have tried getting out of the saddle!
Anywhere with a double arrow on the 1:25,000 OS map is a challenge.
- Are you a Mamil?1 year 43 weeks agoI'm 45 now so i was a mamil
I'm 45 now so i was a mamil back in 2010, but does that make me one now
Hope so cos i still love riding me bike
- Defeated by Blaze Hill, gears for 25% incline1 year 43 weeks agoI ain't no pro either and I
I ain't no pro either and I don't go racing. I have always used a compact (50/34 on the front). I honestly don't think that anybody who is below a level where they're competing regularly needs to consider anything else but a compact. There's this macho element which deems that you must have 53/39 on the front, because it's "hard". Cobblers.
I also have a 28 tooth on the rear cassette. That's (just) got me up everything I've climbed, and that includes some 25 percenters. It also makes me a more effective hill climber over greater distances, 'cos I can just sit in the saddle and spin whilst others blast their legs coming out of the saddle. Conserves energy and is much more efficient. Helps that, despite the fact that I'm 6'3", I only weigh 70 kg (11 stone)!
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoI did the same, considered
I did the same, considered Kreder and Vanmarke but decided to save the transfers and see what happened, also wasn't really sure who to drop, JTL looks to be taking it easy now although he might be saving himself but every other one of my riders I wanted to keep.
- Defeated by Blaze Hill, gears for 25% incline1 year 43 weeks agoI run a compact with a 12-29
I run a compact with a 12-29 on it and that got me up Yorks Hill (but just)
My buddy's just swapped out his 12-25 for an 11-28 Ultegra on his Canyon (standard chainset) - he's a couple stone lighter than me and flies up anything approaching 1 in 4.
When he had his rear cog swapped over, he didn't have to have anything adjusted with the rear changer, cost him £70 (fitted) at LBS
Hope that helps
- Defeated by Blaze Hill, gears for 25% incline1 year 43 weeks agoI have no advice to give re.
I have no advice to give re. gearing but can assure you Blaze Hill has claimed many a poor soul and you should not feel any shame.
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoNO Vanmarke....stay where you
NO Vanmarke....stay where you are, you were my other man I said nah...tomorrow
- ITV4 ToB Coverage1 year 43 weeks agoWhat irritates me (about the
What irritates me (about the hightlights programme) is that the pointless chat/interviews/ adverts take up so much time that only about 50% of the show is action from the race.
- ITV4 ToB Coverage1 year 43 weeks agoHmmm, maybe a legend of track
Hmmm, maybe a legend of track cycling, but not road cycling. He's not doing his reputation any good by taking these gigs. I have sent a complaint email to ITV.
Agreed on Phil and Paul, Liggett's comments on the USADA case are disgraceful.
- Wired article: "The Olympics would be better if athletes were allowed to take drugs"1 year 43 weeks agoHmmm, i dont like the idea of
Hmmm, i dont like the idea of making it all legal. Where would it end ? you would get smack heads complaining to the human rights courts that "ATHLETES TAKE DRUGS - NOW LEGALISED - SO WHY CANT I?".
A bit cynical i know but honestly where would it all end.
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoMy illustrious team for today
My illustrious team for today is
Mark Cavendish (SKY)
Samuel Sanchez (EUS)
Adis Kruopis (GRE)
Ian Bibby (END)
Jon Tiernan-Locke (END)
Pablo Urtasun (EUS)
Boy van Poppel (UHC)
Bradley Wiggins (SKY)
Jack Bobridge (GRE)
After looking at the profile for the race i think Sanchez will be out tommorrow unless he decides to risk going for a long one when they are in Wales.
- Tour of Britain Stage Two: Leigh Howard take win for Orica GreenEdge and a share of overall lead1 year 43 weeks agoMorpheus00 wrote:I was hopingMorpheus00 wrote:
I was hoping for an analysis of what went wrong for Cav - "and then there was one last attack" doesn't really cover it. Unusual that the national dailys have more background info than RoadCC.
The way I saw it, Rowe blasted off the front to early for Cav's liking and he didn't want a sprint that far out.
So going round the corner, he knocked it off slightly. To get someone else's wheel. Which he did, but as it came closer to the line, He just didn't have the gas to come through and beat Howard. He later said that Howard was faster than him and well done.
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoCarrara and Jarc
Carrara and Jarc abandoned
Van Poppel(for Farrar)-obviously
Urtasun(for Bagdonas)-after stupidly taking him out for S2
Sabatini-one of the group at 11secs down
Cavendish-stage favourite and GC scorer
Basso-expect him to be a GC top 10 soon
House-probably down to he and Urtasun for the KOM
Downing-top 10 for stage today I hope and GC scorer;I always had tomorrow stage 4 for him especially if the wind gets up in Blackpool.
Rowe-GC scorer plus likely to nick a yodel or two,Cav's leadout man also
Forster-probably coming out tomorrow
- Victoria Pendleton joins Strictly Come Dancing1 year 43 weeks agoPaul M wrote:So, who's hotPaul M wrote:
So, who's hot favourite for the individual pursuit at Rio - Darcy Bussell?
no you're talking
Not sure why she was compared to a bat though by another poster.
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoPablo Urtasun
Boy van Poppel
I did look at taking Kreder in aswell. Thought tomorrow was his day
- ITV4 ToB Coverage1 year 43 weeks ago_Karlos_ wrote:Agreed, Hugh_Karlos_ wrote:
Agreed, Hugh Porter is useless.
But is a legend of the sport and should be remembered as that rather than a dodgy commentator.
(and he is still better than PhilPaul)
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoBack later. Got to fill in a
Back later. Got to fill in a job app now
- ITV4 ToB Coverage1 year 43 weeks agoHe said that again yesterday.
He said that again yesterday. You would have thought he'd know about Rouleur...
He's today's cheese
- Police investigate cyclist hit by car on closed-road Etape Cymru1 year 43 weeks agoHope he recovers, hope the
Hope he recovers, hope the police catch their man.
By the way - not a race.
- We have a Winner for Tour of Britain VIP hospitality… and IG Hill Climb Challenge place1 year 43 weeks agoGo on then.
Go on then.
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoCavendish
- Fantasy Cycling: the final Vuelta standings and prizes!1 year 43 weeks agoKind of speechless but
Kind of speechless but congrats to all the other winners!
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoKOM 2: House, Sulzberger,
KOM 2: House, Sulzberger, Hawkins, Kreder, Williams
KOM 3: Sulzberger, House, Williams, Hawkins, Kreder
- We have a Winner for Tour of Britain VIP hospitality… and IG Hill Climb Challenge place1 year 43 weeks agoYes please
- ToB Stage 31 year 43 weeks agoIn:Handley and
In:Handley and Rowe
Out:Farrar and Sanchez
I'll suffer for being House-less