- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 37 weeks agoSome stomach churning cycling
Some stomach churning cycling snobbery within the comments here. I cycle everyday but I'm loathed to call myself a 'cyclist' if it puts me in the same category as some of you lot.
- Trek Ion CX Pro1 year 37 weeks agoA 'cross bike without disc
A 'cross bike without disc brakes? How very 2011!
- Car use in decline? RAC Foundation report says Peak Car theory oversimplifies the issues1 year 37 weeks agoThere's little doubt that in
There's little doubt that in London and the South East, the influence of initiatives like the cycle hire scheme, investment in rail and the Olympics (with its emphasis on sustainable travel) has been huge.
Younger adults no longer see the need to learn to drive and to own a car. In fact, the majority view is that with high insurance and running costs, car ownership is no longer desirable. A mix of cycling/walking, using taxis and trains is viewed as being more cost effective.
- Would it work ?1 year 37 weeks agoI'm not sure it would work
I'm not sure it would work too well in a single stage but rallying is an interesting comparison. Watching a rally stage is similar to watching a TT but Rally GB for example ends up with a stage inside the millennium stadium. A velodrome scratch race as a stage would be a brilliant addition.
The London Revolution is a sportive so nowhere near the same level of audience but it's route does include a lap of Herne Hill velodrome.
- My Appeal/Auction1 year 37 weeks agoAnyone watched my awkward
Anyone watched my awkward video??
Footfall through the page is slowly going down, any ideas to get it up again?
I'm still bashing out the link on twitter all the time....
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 37 weeks agoeuanlindsay wrote:Riding aeuanlindsay wrote:
Riding a bike is about independence. It isn't about the environment or health.
You're wrong. It is about independence but it is about the environment and it is about health.
Environment and health aren't really the reasons for the majority of my riding but they will be for a lot of people amongst tons of other reasons.
Different people ride for different reasons and saying that riding is only about independence is just as bike snob as a shit lipped fixie hipster.
- Car use in decline? RAC Foundation report says Peak Car theory oversimplifies the issues1 year 37 weeks agoIt is an interesting bit of
It is an interesting bit of research. One thing I have noted is how few of the young people I know have taken their driving test. One of my nieces just passed her test and bought her first car, but I have two other nieces and two nephews, all of whom are old enugh to drive, and none of them yet has a driving licence.
- Go Pro - watch out if it goes wrong!1 year 37 weeks agonotfastenoughnotfastenough wrote:
interesting, I'm thinking a camera would be a good idea, but not on those terms. Thanks.
I agree with you but have you looked at the hyvid range of cameras, I have the 1080 sport over four (trouble free) years now plus it's not as bulky/non aerodynamic as a go pro
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 37 weeks agoRiding a bike is about
Riding a bike is about independence. It isn't about the environment or health.
- To early to whip this out?1 year 37 weeks agoCheers, I have sent that on
Cheers, I have sent that on to loads of people who I know will absolutely detest it!
- Kask Replacement Parts1 year 37 weeks agoHi,
Can you please let me
Can you please let me know how you get on with your search? Also got a Vertigo whose gel pads are starting to drift slightly.
- Liverpudlian cycling buddies set up web-only cycling mag - and the first issue's free1 year 37 weeks agoReminds me very much of
Reminds me very much of 'Winning' magazine. Which is good. Good read too.
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 37 weeks agoCalling your own bike shop a
Calling your own bike shop a Mecca makes you a bit of a cock doesn't it
- Would it work ?1 year 37 weeks agoThere's stuff already out
There's stuff already out there. Mainly the crits which falls into what your suggesting. I'm fortunate enough to live where the Scottish National Crits are hosted. It's a great day out. You get to see the kids race right up to the elite cat. The organisers have managed to come up with a pretty technical course. And it's free. There's also the Halfords Tour series.
- Limar wins iF Product Design Award for Velov lightweight helmet with removable wind-blocking plates for winter1 year 37 weeks agoI wear a skull cap under my
I wear a skull cap under my helmet in winter ... it covers my ears, which would get really cold otherwise.
- Would it work ?1 year 37 weeks agoI've seen the Tour de France
I've seen the Tour de France live three times including once on the Alpe du Huez and it is boring as all hell, unless you are luck enough to see a small boy being hit in the face by a wheel of cheese. A track circuit would stop break aways and you still wouldn't know what was going on. Some sports are just made for the telly. Road racing and grand prix are two of those so mixing them up would not be an improvement.
Oh, yeah and no mountains either.
- Tech Roundup: Xmas Special - from the 'big present' to stocking fillers, tech for all the cyclists in your life1 year 37 weeks agoI think what we are
I think what we are forgetting here is that these are gift ideas. If you want to save money, maybe don't wrap your presents because that paper only gets throw away or betterl still don't buy any presents because you are a tight arse. I would be happy to receive a thoughtful bike related Christmas present rather than a plain white t-shirt from asda, In fact i would prefer a spare inner tube or put the money towards the next gas bill and enjoy the heating being on for a bit longer over Christmas, maybe even have the tv on as a treat.
- Would it work ?1 year 37 weeks agoOn the tele in the pub last
On the tele in the pub last night: darts tournament from a packed studio with disco lights and emphatic announcer.
(Sorry. Twitter moment there.)
- Would it work ?1 year 37 weeks agoAs Bernard Breslaw famously
As Bernard Breslaw famously said, " I only asked".
- Limar wins iF Product Design Award for Velov lightweight helmet with removable wind-blocking plates for winter1 year 37 weeks agoLooking at it and thinking
Looking at it and thinking how to mod it to carry lights (Leds) with power supply tucked into blocked off vents.
- Would it work ?1 year 37 weeks agoYou already have things like
You already have things like that and its boring as hell. Teams going round and round a fixed course....
- cyclist vs road trains in Oz1 year 37 weeks agoLorksalawdy, I thought the
Lorksalawdy, I thought the A41 in Shropshire was bad enough. The Irish trucks use it as a rat-run when aiming for Liverpool or Heysham docks.
At least they are only 40 foot long.
notfastenough is right, why aren't they moving over ?
They are shifting as well
(Cue fake Ozzie accent)
Struth mate, rather you than me
- Greg LeMond UCI presidency bid announced as Change Cycling Now summit concludes1 year 37 weeks agoInteresting starting point.
Interesting starting point. will have to think a little about this bit initial thoughts
1. All competitive cycling? one assumes professional and non professional and all disciplines or are we talking road racing?
2. Change of UCI leadership and no role for UCI in doping control, yes a clean broom approach is probably needed. The rest is about style not process and structure and that May be needed to guarantee the style they suggest.
3. Whilst usually there is a tangency to blame the individual rider for doping this has the reverse tenancy to blame the sports management for all that went wrong. The truth is that doping was the unspoken culture in the sport and in this dance it took three keep the tango going: riders, team management and sport management. Ethically, you can not offer amnesty to two parties involved and not the third. Although I'd like to find a way around this but at present I can not.
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 37 weeks agoLost me when he said the s
Lost me when he said the s word. Am sick of hearing sustainable. Means nothing. Pure managementspeak bullshit bingo term.
I want a jacket made out of baby sealskin and puffin chicks. Ever seen one of them get wet?
And Creative Director my arse.
- Woman's cycling news1 year 37 weeks agoWhy aren#t the big races run
Why aren#t the big races run on the same day ?
If it's accepted that men and women must race seperately, why not just have one event, with the starts at different times, so that the races attaract the same sponsorship/money/organisation/road closures and more importantly, crowds and coverage ?
Start the women's race earlier (shorten the stages if necessary to avoid broom wagon clash) and have one Tour, or Giro or whatever.
Surely it would raise the profile of womens' racing to the same status as men's, and spectators get to see 2 races, not just one.
Go Lizzie, go !