- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoBeing friendly and saying
Being friendly and saying hello isn't hard
Just blooming difficult when you're out on your 'cycle to work' bike..
unfit and trying to breathe
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoNot sure about the urban vs
Not sure about the urban vs country thing. I live in a small town in the Cotswolds - three minutes or so in any direction and I'm out in open country - and I reckon one in two riders returns a wave. Vast majority I see out here are on road bikes, BTW.
- Boonen for 4 in a row? Who will shine in place of Cancellara? The 'Hell of the North' beckons.1 year 47 weeks agoAfter 4 of the last 5 stages
After 4 of the last 5 stages have been nothing short of utter s*** for me, especially as i spent hours working out my teams so i'm not sure if i want to continue as i've gone from 1st in my region to 8th
Picked my team for tomoro so will wait and see what happens. Gone for;
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoI notice a difference between
I notice a difference between the weekend and weekdays. Weekday folk tend to be much more friendly, less so at the weekend. Living near Box Hill it does get a bit busier at the weekend for sure but I still manage to nod.
I guess though some people aren't used to it being new or have experienced the blank so often they don't bother.
Still, glad it's not just me
- Paris - Roubaix1 year 47 weeks agoDecided to go with the 3
Decided to go with the 3 favourites and a DS from each team
Vansummeren - Garmin may well send him up the road forcing the rest to chase
Great Game and appreciate all of the effort to keep everything updated Dave. Bring on those cobbles
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks ago@IOM Paddy - don't mean Rapha
@IOM Paddy - don't mean Rapha gear do you? kinda know what you mean, although while out in a Rapha top on Thursday i was overtaken by a fast lad in full Rapha racing kit on a black Condor - we both said hello. I'm inclined to think he was a pro or at least supported by RCS in some way.
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoI think it's a density issue
I think it's a density issue sometimes. Little towns or places where you don't see many other riders, you get a friendly response nearly all of the time. Places like Regents Park in London you'd get a pretty sore throat if you said hi to everyone you met training there.
Touring cyclists are usually brilliant; In 8 months of riding towards Oz I think we stopped for a full blown chat with every other pannier laden person we met.Quote:
One of the things we're aiming to do this year is get more touring in.
That's good to hear - let me know if you need a guest reviewer
- Boonen for 4 in a row? Who will shine in place of Cancellara? The 'Hell of the North' beckons.1 year 47 weeks agoNice team drheaton, very
Nice team drheaton, very similar to mine, I have 3 different riders to you
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoOn the Essex roads it's
On the Essex roads it's mostly a wave and a nod, sometimes even a hello, sometimes a blank look. I make a point of saying hello to horse riders and going slowly, I always get a polite reply.
On a haywards heath sportive last weekend it was a mixed crowd, I needed to stop very early and sort out a loose bottle cage I'd fiddled with trying to sort out a creak. So I was passed by hundreds, then got back on and passed most of them again, especially on the stiff early hill. Most hellos were responded to, I like to think it is part of what makes cycling fun
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoI always try and wave or say
I always try and wave or say hello. I have commented to freinds before that people clad in a certain expensive brand of gear are v grumpy.
I now understand why I am looked down on when I am on a a straight bar bike. I laugh as I have two drop bars.
If for any reason I don't wave or say hello it's due to the pain I am in - sorry.
- Amstel Gold Race1 year 47 weeks agoMehdi Sohrabi is looking good
Mehdi Sohrabi is looking good at the moment, especially with his top ten in Flanders last Sunday.
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoSome drivers are pretty
Some drivers are pretty ignorant too.
I don't wave to them.
- FS: Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD4000W, Still boxed1 year 47 weeks agoSold
- Track Worlds Day 4: Laura Trott takes Great Britain's gold tally to five with one day to go1 year 47 weeks agoPretty good final in that I
Pretty good final in that I thought, Hepburn coming from a second down to wind by a second.
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agocome to devon, 95% wave apart
come to devon, 95% wave apart from the singlespeed/fixie crowd. they are the ignorant part of cycling society.
- Riding the Paris-Roubaix pavé: it's all about the bike… and the tyres… and the…1 year 47 weeks agodidnt trek murder keith a few
didnt trek murder keith a few years ago along with gary klien and gary fisher? maybe he was the one that got away?
- f1 year 47 weeks agoSome kind of multiple post
Some kind of multiple post gremlin I'm afraid. I did apologise earlier and I'm happy to do so again. Sorry for the multiple posts.
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoI apologise if I sound rude,
I apologise if I sound rude,
YOU'VE CHANGED ME!
I'm going to wave at every Tom, Dick and Harry (Jane, Beth and Sally) tomorrow, whatever bike they're on.
Well done guys!
NB, its actually peer pressure, but it appeals to my better nature, obvs.
- damage to frame1 year 47 weeks agoQuote:It's a heat-treatedQuote:
It's a heat-treated alloy frame
sorry, need to look at the pics more closely!
- High-end socks too much to fork out for? Try these...1 year 47 weeks agoStill trying to win a pair
Still trying to win a pair
- Is my bike too small??1 year 47 weeks agoI'm doing some chiropractic
I'm doing some chiropractic ATM too, and it seems to be helping.
Hamstring stretches also.
- Riding the Paris-Roubaix pavé: it's all about the bike… and the tyres… and the…1 year 47 weeks agoI appreciate it's not
I appreciate it's not directly relevant but last weekend I rode the mid length Flanders sportive, 136km of mixed terrain, plenty of cobbles. I rode it on my Genesis Croix de Fer CX bike set up with Conti Gatorskins at 80psi. No punctures, no problems (well beyond my slow pace I guess). I did the baby Flanders last year on CX tyres and this year was a huge step up in pain and terrain (and the farthest I've ridden in a day). I enjoyed being on the cobbles and frankly isn't that the point, whatever you ride, its for the challenge, the enjoyment, the achievement. No point in me getting a pro set up bike, I'm not good enough to get the benefits that the tech would bring so I choose the set up that I thought would enhance the experience for me. It did, I had a great time and even met some bloke called Keith Bontrager whoever he is!
- High-end socks too much to fork out for? Try these...1 year 47 weeks agodave_atkinson wrote:I've gotdave_atkinson wrote:
I've got some. They're ace.
Got some on my wedding anniversary wanted list.
- Did I miss the memo? (grumpy cyclist rant)1 year 47 weeks agoReally pleased to hear most
Really pleased to hear most here are of the friendly variety.
If any miserable riders read this then they will know who I mean if they spot my username on my top tube.
- Keith Bikes1 year 47 weeks agoRaleigh wrote:@Lost faith inRaleigh wrote:
@Lost faith in t... I wish there was a like button,
there have been some classic lines over the past few days
Agreed. That was awesome.
@ Keith, didn't you get one from the USA that was wrong spec?