- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks ago+1 on buses having lots of
+1 on buses having lots of cameras. Buses are on the road frequently for 15-18 hours a day, and some drivers involved in accidents with buses will dispute fault and circumstances. Upon receiving the accident report, the bus company will review the footage, and not infrequently tell the car driver's insurer "away and boil your heid" or something similar, attaching a CDROM with a video of the accident.
It's always fun telling the policyholders they're at fault though.
- Rome's cycling mayor closes Colosseum road to cars1 year 20 weeks ago“I say it with respect, but
“I say it with respect, but between the interest of someone who can’t stop in front of his newsagent in his car, and the protection of the Colosseum, I choose the latter,” Mr Marino said."
I wonder if I can get him o be mayor where I live
- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks agoI think we need to be careful
I think we need to be careful not to take the cycling view (just like we criticise people for taking the car view).
Without knowing the details and anyone getting injured is not good no matter the circumstances. My comment would be about consistency. Driver squashes cyclist with truck and nothing happens, cyclist swerves could be charged with assault. There should be consistency for cyclists, pedestrians and drivers.
It has to be said that in the battle of a bus over bike the bust is going to win....
- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks agoThis is an interesting
This is an interesting read:
Puts the full story across pretty well...
- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks agoThe problem is that what a
The problem is that what a reader of this web site would consider a "cyclist" - a responsible user of the highway - is not necessarily what the general public consider to be a "cyclist" - anyone sitting on a non motorised two wheel mode of transport.
We therefore have competent riders dumped into the same category as some teen moron riding around on a full suspension BSO with buckled wheels and no brakes! There's nothing to suggest which this rider was, but he abandoned his bike, would you have done that?
- Strava Heatmap shows worldwide activity on a single day1 year 20 weeks agobotox, I think you're on to
botox, I think you're on to something but its only part of the information. Remember this is one section of a cycling community who are hooked on Strava (inc. me) and so it gives a distorted view of cycling. There are a huge number of cyclists who don't care about data and oftentimes they will be the ones that need the most looking after on the road. Box Hill and Alpe d'Huez dont need road improvements ( in this context) though they are very populated by cyclists.
Cool data show though. If it was the Aug 4th surrey would be a floodlight.
- 'England' may replace 'Yorkshire' in Tour de France Grand Depart marketing campaign1 year 20 weeks agoAbsolutely dirt being thrown
Absolutely dirt being thrown on both sides. From memory the UK Sport backed bid sounds like the pan-UK project, running from Scotland to the channel. Originally it was looking to 2017 or 2016, but seems to have been pushed forward possibly for political ends. One possibility is that given the requirements of getting from Edinburgh to the channel, ASO felt they had more say in the route with the Yorkshire option and better logistics.
But yes, the escalating cost doesn't inspire confidence in the overall planning of what happened between winning the bid and the race arriving.
- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks agoin my experience bus drivers
in my experience bus drivers can be very aggressive and bullying of other road users. Could the bus driver have done anything to avoid the collision? Was the bus driver speeding?
- Rome's cycling mayor closes Colosseum road to cars1 year 20 weeks agoAnd what has the locals'
And what has the locals' reaction been like? It'll be interesting to compare and contrast with the froth-mouth'd reaction I see in my local rag any time an anti-car measure (or what they choose to see as an anti-car measure) gets implemented.
- Rome's cycling mayor closes Colosseum road to cars1 year 20 weeks agonowasps wrote:Wants to thinknowasps wrote:
Wants to think himself lucky. If it were over here, we'd have turned it into a multi-storey car-park.
Really? id say the UK was pretty good at protecting its 'treasured monuments' from traffic, plenty of pedestrianized zones about or cropping up.
- Video: Scotland’s Nice Way Code ads go live1 year 20 weeks agoAll good stuff and the people
All good stuff and the people who quote the cost really don't understand government finance. £500k may be a lot to you or I but in the bigger scheme, it's not that big a price for some TV ads. If it makes a few behave differently, then it's worth it. It also shows Scotland's commitment to cycling - surely a good thing.
- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks agoIf a pedestrian had caused
If a pedestrian had caused the bus to stop suddenly, would he have been charged with assault ? Of course not !
It's the witch hunt against us that's found a new way to manifest itself.
- Strava Heatmap shows worldwide activity on a single day1 year 20 weeks agoI have been suggesting to
I have been suggesting to friends that this would be a great way of determining the focus of transport planning for cyclists - if this was passed onto the DfT or TFL it could be a way on ensuring the popular routes are given a focus for cycle infrastructure investment.
Obviously you'd want a working week for that map - but I wonder if anyone at TFL of the DfT have looked at this with any great thought.
- Video: Scotland’s Nice Way Code ads go live1 year 20 weeks agoWell, that's road safety
Well, that's road safety solved for once and for all then: just ask everyone to behave nicely.
There's a flaw there somewhere, but I just can't spot it. Can anyone help?
- Daisy Abela follows in Emma Way's footsteps with tweets of intentional collision with cyclist1 year 20 weeks agoFirst off - well done to
First off - well done to road.cc for blocking comments on the report on Emma Way being charged.
(My opinion on the matter is already on this site - and I too won't say any more either as I know the law on subjidice as does my solicitor wife!)
But this is extraordinary - I wonder if it'll set a legal precedent? Not only possible attempted murder charges but also drink driving. Do you have to fail a breathalyser or blood test to be convicted or is a written confession enough? I've never heard of it before, but then it wasn't that long ago when you could be convicted of murder without finding a body.
- Malaysian sport minister slaps wrists of cycling federation over support for Pat McQuaid1 year 20 weeks agoOk Pat time to leave and take
Ok Pat time to leave and take up your job with the IOC....
- FS: BMW Williams F1 Q8.R Bike, very special rare bike.1 year 20 weeks agoThanks for all your feedback,
Thanks for all your feedback, if anyone is interested email me on email@example.com
- Strava Heatmap shows worldwide activity on a single day1 year 20 weeks agochrispy likes this
chrispy likes this
looks like you can see part of the route from the wiggle peak district punisher sportive. very cool
- Updated: Police arrest cyclist after bus driver's emergency stop leaves passenger seriously injured1 year 20 weeks agoOn the modern buses there are
On the modern buses there are actually quite a lot of external cameras.
I was involved in an incident around Clapham Common where a bus started to overtake me and then came into the bus stop before getting past, forcing me into the gutter and to jump onto the pavement.
I then pursued the bus to speak to the driver who refused to open his window. I put myself and the bike in front of the bus to stop him moving and he started edging forward until he hit the bike, at which point I decided to get out of the way, and as he roared off he went over my wheel. It was buckled but still functional so this time I caught him and indicated I was calling the police to report the accident, but he just ignored it and drove off.
The point of the story being that I not only reported it ASAP to the police but also wrote to the bus company, who reviewed the footage themselves and paid for a new wheel.
Then they passed it to the police who brought a charge against the driver. When it got to court the magistrates had a series of still photographs covering the side where I was squeezed off and the front of the bus showing that I had done nothing wrong, plus someone had reviewed the video footage and submitted a report backing up my story.
He was fined and disqualified which I presume means he no longer drove buses.
I was pretty impressed.
- Strava Heatmap shows worldwide activity on a single day1 year 20 weeks agocripes...we in the UK are
cripes...we in the UK are mental for a bit of strava.
- Mike Cotty's 666km trans-Alpine bike setup1 year 20 weeks agoFantastic route...wishing you
Fantastic route...wishing you lots of luck...looking forward to watching your progress
- Rome's cycling mayor closes Colosseum road to cars1 year 20 weeks agoYou see Boris. This is how
You see Boris. This is how it is done
- rh+ Logo Cap1 year 20 weeks agoGo to prendas less than a
Go to prendas less than a third of the price
- Buyer’s guide: Waterproof cycling jackets1 year 20 weeks agoAnd no review of the Aldi -
And no review of the Aldi - crane (£9.99) lightweight jacket. Shame on you... ;-}
- Just in: Bianchi Infinito CV1 year 20 weeks agoAny news on whether this will
Any news on whether this will be available as a frame-only option?