• Vuelta - Stage 11 (ITT)1 year 33 weeks agoMartin around 20 seconds down

    Martin around 20 seconds down at the second check although I always expected him to be down at the top of the hill, hopefully he can power to the finish and beat Meyer's time.

  • Vuelta - Stage 11 (ITT)1 year 33 weeks ago1.Meyer 53:53 2.Castroviejo

    1.Meyer 53:53
    2.Castroviejo 17secs
    3.Boom 49secs
    4.Flecha 59secs

  • Sustrans boss calls for safer streets as survey reveals "truly shocking" extent of short-hop school runs1 year 33 weeks agoNot a self-selected survey as

    Not a self-selected survey as far as I can tell.

    From the Parentdish website: "Our survey, conducted in association with OnePoll, surveyed 2,000 adults with school-aged children about their school-run plans for the term ahead."

  • Yorkshire cyclist seriously injured when he was pushed from bike still waiting for operation five days on1 year 33 weeks agoI broke one rib in a tragic

    I broke one rib in a tragic showing off accident in front of my kids and the pain was terrible, let alone compounded by another rib + additional breaks!

    hope he recovers well!

  • Eurobike 2012: First look faves… BMC, Cube, Orbea, Casati, Giant, Kuota, GT and more1 year 33 weeks agoIncluded random photo of

    Included random photo of Italian hipster. LOL.

  • Vuelta - Stage 11 (ITT)1 year 33 weeks agoCastroviejo currently leading

    Castroviejo currently leading at the finish line but his first check time has been beaten by Keizer (1 sec) and Boom (18 secs). Bodnar has just finished and is currently second over a minute down on Castroviejo.

  • Sustrans boss calls for safer streets as survey reveals "truly shocking" extent of short-hop school runs1 year 33 weeks agoTo be fair it is probably not

    To be fair it is probably not a very accurate result: self-selected users of a single website !!

  • How fit do I have to be to do a sportive?1 year 33 weeks agoI've done the challenge ride

    I've done the challenge ride for the last two years (although it was 80km rather than 98km then).

    IME, there's a range of riders that do it - I rode with my brother in law (who'd done 25 miles as his longest ride beforehand) at a 14mph average, and we were by no means the last ones in. The feed stops have been well stocked, and there's usually bananas on offer if you're unsure of the energy bars and gels. You'll be able to fill bottles at them all too, iirc, each one had fresh water & energy drink on offer. Feeds this year look to be at 25km and 60km (according to the ride manual).

    If you're in Nantwich, you can do some decent rides on the Cheshire Cycleway to get a feel for the distance on similar terrain - I usually ride it from Crewe and it's pretty easy to get 60 or 70 miles - the route is well signposted, so route finding tends not to be a problem.

    My own nutrition "strategy" revolves around the consumption of jelly babies, co-op wine gums, or Percy Pigs. Generally I have one every so often if I'm riding for more than an hour - if I'm out over 3 hours, I'll eat a flapjack, or something similar around the 1 1/2 / two hour mark.

  • Vuelta - Stage 11 (ITT)1 year 33 weeks ago1 eye on the next 2 stages

    1 eye on the next 2 stages Nerd

    Tony Martin (in for Degenkolb)
    Contador (in for Davis)
    Froome (in for Swift)
    Viviani
    Talansky (in for Nocentinni)
    Bouhanni
    Meersman
    Florencio
    Astraloza

    Wanted C Meyer but couldn't justify the cost! Thinking

  • Chainsets and heel clearance1 year 33 weeks agoi think Q factor and heel

    i think Q factor and heel clearance are seperate:

    - Q factor measure how far out the crank is from the centre of the bike at the point at which the pedals attach;

    - heel clearance is about how far out the crank is from the centre of the bike at the point where your foot passes the crank arm in the rotation (i.e towards the middle of the crank, where you would get scuff marks on the crank from your heels).

    Heel clearance in relation to the rear stays is, as Jimmy says, a product of the frame design (how the stays curve and how large they are) and Q factor. So I'm not sure the 'heel clearance' which C+ describe will make any difference to you at the back - it might, however, make a difference to whether your feet scuff the cranks.

    It's worth knowing that some pedals will allow you to adjust Q factor by fitting a different axle (Speedplay, for starters), but the ideal Q factor should really be dictated by alignment of your knees, hips and ankles, not by needing more clearance.

  • ID implants coming your way1 year 33 weeks agoWhile researching something

    While researching something else I found this interesting fact. A Profesor Frank Booth has estimated that inactivity costs America one thousand million dollars a year...the entire annual budget deficit in the US. I suspect the situation is the same in this country. Surely this means us 'zero emmision' cyclists in the UK should get a road tax credit? We are not just saving the planet we are also reducing the UK budget defict! Some of us are a lawless lot, but, how many of the 2000+ people killed on the road are down to us? By facilitating cycling the conservatives could tackle the combined problems of inactivity (by promoting cycling?) greenhouse gasses and our budget deficit! If they achieved this even I might vote for them!

  • Eurobike 2012: First look faves… BMC, Cube, Orbea, Casati, Giant, Kuota, GT and more1 year 33 weeks agoSH... Performance Carbon

    SH... Performance Carbon perhaps...? Big Grin

  • Eurobike 2012 - Colnago C59 Disc – First Ride1 year 33 weeks agoAnimal wrote:Discs are just

    Animal wrote:
    Discs are just too high maintenance!

    Chucking new blocks on conventional brakes is easy. keeping them moving is easy. Not so with discs.

    If you say so. I've used BB7s for years and find them easier to change pads on than any other type of brake I've ever used. And IME "keeping them moving" requires doing precisely nothing.

    IME discs, BB7s at least, are about as low maintenance as you can get. YMMV, it seems.

  • Eurobike 2012 - Colnago C59 Disc – First Ride1 year 33 weeks agoDon't forget the most

    Don't forget the most important (FACT!) reason for wanting discs: no horrible brake sludge over everything all winter long.

  • Eurobike 2012 - Colnago C59 Disc – First Ride1 year 33 weeks agoAnimal wrote:Discs are just

    Animal wrote:
    Discs are just too high maintenance!

    The callipers are too complicated. The travel is so short that it's very easily clogged by road grime and corrosion.

    I commuted on a disc equipped Genesis Croix de Fer, and I came to the conclusion that simpler and self maintainable is better.

    Chucking new blocks on conventional brakes is easy. keeping them moving is easy. Not so with discs.

    Not really, your experience probably has a lot to with the fact that they are cable actuated brakes. The vast majority of mountain bikers in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, will not give up their hydraulic disc brakes. Their performance in mud is simply not under any doubt what-so-ever. The clearance is much smaller, true, but the rotor should act like a knife and cut out the mud. And since they are so much more powerful, the mud should be scraped off every time you brake.

    As for maintenance, it's just another skill to learn really. It's true that some brakes require a syringe or other less common tools, but plenty of them can be bled with nothing more than the fluid, an allen key and a 7mm spanner. And if bled properly they require maintenance a lot less often than anything with cables.

  • Bradley Wiggins considering backing his own women's team (+ video)1 year 33 weeks agoCheers for the links Simon -

    Cheers for the links Simon - this is from a Dani King article on onthedrops:

    "According to Ernst & Young in its report on the economic situation of the professional peloton, the total budget for the 40 men’s pro teams in 2012 has risen to €321 million for the 40 Professional teams, an increase of 36.5 per cent in just 3 years. The average Pro Tour male salary now sits at €255,000. In stark contrast, a vast majority of the 37 professionally registered women’s teams have a total budget of less than €255,000, meaning they operate an entire team for less than the average salary of the male Pro Tour professional."

    Wow. That's not good.

  • How fit do I have to be to do a sportive?1 year 33 weeks agoI do not want to confuse you,

    I do not want to confuse you, but, have a look at 'optimal nutrition 4 sport' this site suggests that not eating too much is not necessarily a bad thing. I am trying these ideas at the moment. Also, you are more likely to over-hydrate than under-hydrate. But as I always say (but not always do) 'nothing new on race day'! Try different ideas and find what works for you. I train and race without eating or drinking much and would not like to think it does me or my results harm; if you are not hungry or thirsty then it is not necessarily a problem.

  • New documentary series follows Sky and British Cycling as they target Tour and Olympic success (+ video trailer)1 year 33 weeks agoIIRC the subs are only

    IIRC the subs are only £1/month for the package that has Sky Atlantic. Big Grin

  • Eurobike 2012 - Colnago C59 Disc – First Ride1 year 33 weeks agoDisc brakes and Shimano on a

    Disc brakes and Shimano on a Colnago...WHY? WHY? WHY? Angry

  • Danish Cycling Union dismisses board member after he tests postive for 3 banned substances in veterans' race1 year 33 weeks agoThere is little evidence that

    There is little evidence that glucocorticoids have any performance enhancing properties; why do people take them? I think because they sound like anabolic-steroids...glucocorticoids are not good for you and are only prescribed when necessary.

  • Vuelta - Stage 11 (ITT)1 year 33 weeks agoI'm also hoping for a Martin

    I'm also hoping for a Martin off day Devil

    although two of my DS' will score teammate bonus' if he wins.

    Boom
    Froome(for Rojas)
    Contador(for Degenkolb)
    DeGendt(for Bennati)
    Bodnar(for Bouhanni)
    Clarke
    Talansky
    Terpstra
    Steegmans

  • Vuelta - Stage 11 (ITT)1 year 33 weeks agoGesink Froome Contador Vivian

    Gesink
    Froome
    Contador
    Viviani
    Marczynski
    Talansky
    Bouhanni
    Meersman
    Kreder

    I was umming and ahhing over Martin or Gesink right up until the deadline. Common sense said Martin but my instinct said Gesink, and my instincts have been pretty good for the past couple of stages, so that's what I went with. And if it doesn't work out, the extra credits mean I'm in a more flexible position for tomorrow.

  • Which is best bike computer with GPS & heart rate monitor [HRM]?1 year 33 weeks agoI cant recomend a bike

    I cant recomend a bike computer but I can say Garmin Edge 200 doesnt have ANT+ facility so you cant hook a HRM to it. I am enjoying my Garmin Edge 200 BTW Big Grin

    Have a gander at the reviews already done on here.

    http://road.cc/gear

  • Eurobike 2012 - Colnago C59 Disc – First Ride1 year 33 weeks agoThis is a bit confusing. You

    This is a bit confusing. You say the system is fully hydraulic at the top of the article, but then say they aren't as good as a hydraulic disc later on?

    Are you basically saying "despite being hydraulic these are no better than a good caliper setup"?

  • Eurobike 2012 - Colnago C59 Disc – First Ride1 year 33 weeks agoAnimal wrote:Discs are just

    Animal wrote:
    Discs are just too high maintenance!

    The callipers are too complicated. The travel is so short that it's very easily clogged by road grime and corrosion.

    I commuted on a disc equipped Genesis Croix de Fer, and I came to the conclusion that simpler and self maintainable is better.

    Chucking new blocks on conventional brakes is easy. keeping them moving is easy. Not so with discs.

    Had hydro discs on the mtb for some time now and having
    ridden through some less than pleasant conditions I've
    never had any real grief from them re: maint or setup.
    the old cable version (bb5 and bb7) on the other hand !
    Give me hydraulic every time Smile

    Still nice looking frame and fork - except those levers !
    shame my wallet can never stretch to Colnago levels Smile