• Drunk, speeding, hit and run van driver who killed cyclist sentenced to eight years in jail1 year 13 weeks agoRedvee wrote:vbvb wrote:Are

    Redvee wrote:
    vbvb wrote:
    Are they allowed to drive after 10 years off, without practice or a re-test?
    jamesfifield wrote:
    I'm fairly certain that after a ban a full re-test is required.


    A restest is required these days, in the past you just applied to DVLA for your licence back IIRC. When bans are imposed as well as a custodial sentence I believe the ban starts straight away, not on release from prison, so effectively only a 2 year ban. Can somebody tell me if I'm right or wrong with this?

    I believe you're wrong, and the ban starts once the custodial sentence is served.

  • Chainstay mounted calipers1 year 13 weeks agoMarginally more muck, yes.

    Marginally more muck, yes. However, your mudguards will deal with most of it Rolling On The Floor

    Are you thinking of using a TT bike as a winter hack?

  • The adverts on this site...1 year 13 weeks agoIt's not the ads being there

    It's not the ads being there that bothers me... it's the seemingly random nature of them as they often have no connection with cycling and the fact that most of the stuff is utter crap or at best bizarre!

    And why is it only the ad space between today's todays top stories and latest comments and not all of them?

  • Sahara Dust Cloud - Avoid!1 year 13 weeks agoRode last few days, but last

    Rode last few days, but last night the air tasted rank, and this is in rural Worcestershire/Gloucestershire.

    Really wish government would grow a set and actually deal with pollution, blaming it on the Sahara is just looking for an excuse. Every winter if I go up into the Cotswolds and look out over the Severn vale you regularly see the brown crap in the air. I doubt it is any different in the summer just more obvious in winter.

  • Leeds plans 20mph zones in communities along its £29m "super cycleway"1 year 13 weeks agocaaad10 wrote:I assume this

    caaad10 wrote:
    I assume this limit applies to cyclists too...

    No speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles

  • TRP RG957 Deep Drop Brakes1 year 13 weeks agoWow that's an expensive set

    Wow that's an expensive set of brakes! I have a set of Tektro R737 on my Racelight T2 with the blue BBB pads and shoes.

    Originally I had the bike fitted with the cheap Miche deep drop brakes, but the arms were not quite long enough.

  • Tour of Britain full route announced1 year 13 weeks agoStage 2 Braemar - Dundee,

    Stage 2 Braemar - Dundee, having a summit finish up Craigowl Hill (3.4km at 9.3%)

  • Tour of Britain full route announced1 year 13 weeks agoStage 2 Braemar - Dundee,

    Stage 2 Braemar - Dundee, having a summit finish up Craigowl Hill (3.4km at 9.3%)

  • Shimano 105 goes 11-speed1 year 13 weeks agoRobD wrote:On a slightly

    RobD wrote:
    On a slightly related note, how long before a new tiagra groupset is announced

    Shimano release new groupsets at the rate of one a year normally. It starts with DA, then Ultegra, 105, Tiagra and Sora. So if I was a gambling man I would say new Tiagra will be a 2016 groupset, probably available mid 2015.

  • Leeds plans 20mph zones in communities along its £29m "super cycleway"1 year 13 weeks agoI assume this limit applies

    I assume this limit applies to cyclists too...

  • Ordnance Survey launches free iOS Ride Tour de France route app with Chris Boardman1 year 13 weeks agoBenslow wrote:"Whatever the

    Benslow wrote:
    "Whatever the actual figures are, anyone who simply takes notice for a day of the phones they see in use can tell that ios commands way way more than 15% of the market. "

    Can't argue with scientific proof like that can we ...

    Thinking

    Why would it need to be scientific proof, this isn't a physics website. its a cycling website. I don't mean this to be a personal affront. but people have opinions, and its very dull for everytime someone states an opinion to be told to prove it or find a peer reviewed statistical study to confirm it.

    I would say that i see a whole lot more iPhones in use on a day to day basis than any other phone. i would estimate it around 40%, now of course that leaves 60% non-iOs, in my wholely non-scentific observational study

  • Sahara Dust Cloud - Avoid!1 year 13 weeks agoNormally I wouldn't have

    Normally I wouldn't have bothered, most 'news' seems to be sensationalised to the max.

    However, I felt particularly rough after a ride on monday, the day before any news about the dust/ pollution was announced, and it was only after I heard about it I came to the conclusion this was possibly the cause. I live in the south of France and it passed here before arriving in the UK, I had already noticed a heavy deposit of dust on my car so I was certainly aware there was a lot of it in the atmosphere (though probably less of the associated pollution).

    Of course it could be a coincidence, I may have caught something unrelated (I have had asthma in the past, and I do suffer minor hayfever too) - but my lungs felt bad enough to cause concern (in particular a really nasty cough, I can't remember having anything like that), it lasted a couple of days and I still don't feel 100%.... I was actually relieved to hear the advice not to do strenuous exercise (thereby giving a possible cause of the problem).

    Overall though I'm pleased it became news - the next time I see an unusual deposit of dust on my car I'll lay off the exercise until it rains.

  • URGENT: New kit needed cheap1 year 13 weeks ago"The _Kaner wrote: Decathlon

    "The _Kaner wrote:
    Decathlon range/products - GREAT....not delivering to Ireland...Not GREAT....

    That's very odd. Have they given a reason behind it or is it just a blanket 'no' to delivering to Ireland?

    by Farrell"

    Decathlon do not ship to Ireland (ROI) from mainland UK (for the moment)...
    however, a had a reply from their website (rep) and it was very helpful.
    I was directed to call their Belfast branch and they would be able to arrange for delivery to ROI...I haven't followed up as yet and hopefully this will work out for me as long as the delivery charge is not too steep...but I can't complain as the item I am looking to purchase is discounted by >60% and is a huge saving...without me having to trek around any shops and hunt down a bargain...vive l'internet... Cool

  • Drunk, speeding, hit and run van driver who killed cyclist sentenced to eight years in jail1 year 13 weeks agoAyBee wrote:What do you have

    AyBee wrote:
    What do you have to do to get the maximum 14 years then? I cannot see any way that a scenario can be worse than this one!

    The problem is that people recieve a reduced sentence for pleading guilty - as an incentive not to use up the courts time (costs etc). A guilty plea can result in a reduction of about 1/3 of the sentence. So 8 years would be equivalent to about a 12 year sentence. Removing the 'incentive' would reduce the number of guilty pleas as people would chance it more with a jury. I'm not saying that its right, but it is the way it is. Personally, I think the charge wsa wrong - death by careless driving?? No, doing 40% over the speed limit (70 in a 50 zone), whilst drunk, is dangerous driving. The charge was once again wrong, and the sentence was a little less than it should have been for the charge brought IMO.

  • Cycle helmets have "major flaws" in safety, insists cyclist airbag firm Hövding (+ video)1 year 13 weeks agoBeaufort wrote:These look to

    Beaufort wrote:
    These look to be excellent. How many of you that drive cars would buy one without airbags ? If it saved my life I'd be happy to spend the necessary wedge on one.

    At the risk of going O/T, I would, quite happily. I'd far rather effective seatbelts - and indeed the cars I've felt safest in have lacked airbags. They have four-point harnesses instead, so admittedly a fringe case.

    I'd echo vbvb's sentiment - the medical evidence might be reasonably clear that helmets help (on an individual level rather than a state level - real life is full of messy stuff like that, and the people who scare me are the ones who don't understand that), but it's still worrying how little interest the manufacturers have in improving their designs. If I saw pictures of a safety product I'd made that had cracked - when it's trivial to work out that it would perform best by crushing - all over the internet, I'd be trying to figure out what went wrong. That doesn't seem to be happening.

  • Hard Acceleration away from cyclists - increase in how many times this happens1 year 13 weeks agoI'd agree in most cases with

    I'd agree in most cases with Number Cruncher's response....the cyclist doesn't necessarily have to have held up the driver though...
    it's more a case of 'I can, so I will...'...they tend to do the same with drivers of 'lesser' vehicles too...
    In Irelend we also tend to have what I call 'RBS'...Random Braking Syndrome...
    seemingly inane/nonsensical braking patterns...straight road, no traffic...better use my brakes, etc...and jerky random steering wheel motions...they're the worst type of drivers to contend with especially on rural roads
    ...compounded with the Gardai (still) turning a blind eye to 'L' plated drivers with no qualified driver accompanying them...
    There does not appear to be any 'roadcraft' surrounding driving ability these days...if you can afford the car & petrol..then you're 'sorted'...
    It is all rather wearisome...(sic)
    Yawn

  • PCS1 year 13 weeks agoI see both sides to be

    I see both sides to be honest. I use PCS and like the fact that I can find everything in one place on a site that is fairly well designed and easy to use but I also see Gkam's point.

    In other industries (and probably in cycling too) you get sites which scan other news sites and just rip off content in order to get page views and ad revenue. What PCS is doing is an extended version of that where they take information which is freely available or which has been put together by other people and try to make money off it. There's nothing "wrong" about what they're doing but it's also not great that the people who are actually putting together all the information like Cycling Archives don't get the credit they deserve.

  • País Vasco Purist Competition1 year 13 weeks agoI like to target particular

    I like to target particular races because personally I feel like I need a mental break every now and again.

    The classics are races that I just don't pay as much attention to and it shows as I never really do that well but I like to target the mini-tours, the week long European stage races like Med, Algarve, Catalunya and Pais Vasco.

    Anyway, I'll be trying to target this race on both purist and non-purist sides because I need some Forum Scorum points before I go away!

  • Hard Acceleration away from cyclists - increase in how many times this happens1 year 13 weeks agoSeeing similar situation at

    Seeing similar situation at lights/ASLs (unless they're packed out with cyclists making it impossible). Lights change approaching, car starts encroaching on ASL space then blasts off. Pretty much negating the benefit of having an ASL in the first place. Some people are just dicks but if you feel it's something more maybe get in touch with your local cycling organisation (e.g. LCC branch if in London) and discuss/report it and they can feed it into the work/lobbying/educating they're doing.

  • Drunk, speeding, hit and run van driver who killed cyclist sentenced to eight years in jail1 year 13 weeks agoHe messed up his last job,

    He messed up his last job, crashed in the carpark, and was recorded by the theft tracking device doing 70mph in a 50 limit. But if it wasn't for this tragic crash he may well have got away with all of that other stuff.

    Why does it take a death before someone recorded going 20mph over the limit gets in trouble for it?

  • Shimano introduces road hydro disc brakes for mechanical shifting1 year 13 weeks agoYes they are real and the UK

    Yes they are real and the UK SRP is £499, the same as the Di2 version.

  • Ordnance Survey launches free iOS Ride Tour de France route app with Chris Boardman1 year 13 weeks ago"Whatever the actual figures

    "Whatever the actual figures are, anyone who simply takes notice for a day of the phones they see in use can tell that ios commands way way more than 15% of the market. "

    Can't argue with scientific proof like that can we ...

    Thinking

  • País Vasco Purist Competition1 year 13 weeks agoI'm not so worried about the

    I'm not so worried about the effects of the races on my fitness, so am going for every single race this year.

  • PCS1 year 13 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:Here is just one

    Gkam84 wrote:
    Here is just one of many things

    "Partnerships with @tgiantshimano and @cyclingtips announced this week.

    Coming weeks more partnerships will be unveiled!!"

    Plus advertisers. Road.cc was going to tie in with the fantasy game I believe and they tried to charge a fortune.

    They have new app's coming, including a betting one.

    The reason it is "offensive" to me, they are using data that is free to access for everyone and most of them are no secret. So why should people be misled into thinking that PCS is the place to find it all.

    The fact that I have updated the womens racing startlist here, twice and they haven't even got the teams lined up yet shows their lack of interest in doing things properly and their high interest in just being high profile and making money.

    I cannot be bothered to go find the tweet, but the owner of the site gave up their job to make a living from PCS....

    Eh?

    They are providing a service and to make enough money to pay their people. It's called business.

    I think it's a great site and I fully commend them from trying to get investment in.

  • Where's daddy going?1 year 13 weeks agoI adopt the late night ride

    I adopt the late night ride approach too, that way I get to do all the fun stuff like bath time, story time and bedtime. Then I don my lycra and head out for a couple of hours. I live in a fairly rural area so can see any cars from miles away, just have to keep a keen eye for foxes, badgers and bunnies.