• Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agoStick and Twist for me

    Stick and Twist for me Nerd

    Talansky
    Porte
    Cav (stick)
    Dumoulin (stick)
    Pinot (twist for westra)
    Bravo (twist for tuft)

  • Staying visible!1 year 17 weeks ago@Dave They look nice On the

    @Dave

    They look nice Tongue On the wish list I think!

  • Staying visible!1 year 17 weeks ago@Brett It looks pretty nice,

    @Brett

    It looks pretty nice, I'm gonna say now that the shape of the reflective sections look a touch like things that you'd put a golf ball on (maybe that was intended)
    I'd like to see if it would work for jerseys too?

  • Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agoNizzolo finished in the

    Nizzolo finished in the second group yesterday.

  • Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agoThat's a good point, after an

    That's a good point, after an unpredictable TT it may have been worth just picking the sprinters and then having them in from the start.

    Also, wasn't aware Nizzolo had abandoned, that sucks Crying

  • Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agoI was going to do nothing

    I was going to do nothing then Nizzolo abandons so have to make changes and having done so do I take the penalty points today and change things around. Thinking

    It's all a bit difficult really needed to get it right from the start and although I left all the sprinters out should really have had the strong sprinters in from the beginning. My failure to read the first TT has cost me dearly in terms of being able to transfer. Spilak and Peraud, not happy with those guys they were my bankers and they turned out to be something rhyming, good practice for the Giro though, can't wait.

  • Controversal - Trailer for Paul Kimmage Rough Rider Documentary1 year 17 weeks agoIn the end I'd sooner see 5

    In the end I'd sooner see 5 years of Kimmage's accusations flying (even if half of them are wrong) and sponsors dropping out if it means the UCI and cycling finally fully pull their finger out (something only a loss of earnings will achieve). Whilst obviously there have been a fair number of high profile admissions and some far more believable teams around now, you only have to look at some of the DS's and riders on certain teams to see nothing has really changed.

    But then again, perhaps we should all just assume things are better and just enjoy the surprisingly turbo-charged climbing in the vuelta .....

  • Controversal - Trailer for Paul Kimmage Rough Rider Documentary1 year 17 weeks agoI have contributed to his

    I have contributed to his fighting fund as I don't doubt that Paul Kimmage has done a lot more good than most in exposing drug usage but he seems to have become a victim of his own publicity and now believes that he is the only arbiter of what is right and what is wrong.

    If he's as good as he thinks he is he should provide proof and let people make up their own minds not use insinuation, innuendo and spiteful comments because he can't get all he wants.

    Cycling's attitude towards drugs is changing and probably needs to change a lot more, but taking a pop at SKY and Wiggins because they won't play his particular game is not going win him any friends or help to prove his point.

  • SKS Energy Bag1 year 17 weeks agoout-of-stock everywhere

    out-of-stock everywhere

  • Sidi’s new Frame shoe comes out the box1 year 17 weeks agoThey look like something that

    They look like something that Paulie Gualtieri might wear...

  • Ridley release X-Night Disc cyclocross bike1 year 17 weeks agoI thought the same about the

    I thought the same about the 'STIs' to give them their Sunday name. MASSIVE. But I guess for most of the time they're covered by a gloved hand and would look less offensive. However, I can't help but think they would poke me in the eye when riding on the drops.

  • Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agoOne thing I will say though,

    One thing I will say though, dropping the price of penalty transfers to 10 points has been a stroke of genius, it's really opened up the tactically possibilities when considering transfers and it's a more balanced cost for making that extra transfers than last year's 20 point penalty which was so penal it was never ever worth taking the hit and making that extra transfer.

    Now the decicion is much more situational and has a greater (but not too great a) chance of working out in your favour.

  • Clamp-on Bottle Cage1 year 17 weeks agoThanks for that Tuvelo. I've

    Thanks for that Tuvelo.

    I've been getting some miles in recently but only about 15 to 20 Ks at a time at the moment and I've been doing that on just one bottle, so there might not be a need for another cage. Not ridden so far in a long time so the body is taking some time to get used to the exercise.

  • Staying visible!1 year 17 weeks agoThere clearly isn't one

    There clearly isn't one single solution to being seen. If there was then we'd know about it.

    As you say, hi-viz works well in dull light (dawn and dusk) but doesn't do anything in the dark, when you need lights and reflective material. In the daytime you shouldn't need anything special unless its a very dark overcast day, when hi-viz might be useful.

    Other things you can do to make yourself more visible are to ride 3 or 4 feet from the curb (secondary position), or in the middle of the road (primary position) if required. Don't ever, ever ride in the gutter - drivers won't see you.

    No matter what you do there will be some people who simply don't see you because they aren't looking. They might be checking the sat-nat, texting on their phone, fiddling with the radio etc. Then there are others that do see you but simply don't give a crap, or have poor driving skills.

    Try and have good awareness of what's around you. Take regular shoulder glances - both shoulders if riding the primary position. Look at the road and traffic ahead, and spot potential hazards before they happen. Assume that drivers are going to behave aggressively, stupidly or dangerously. Most of the time they won't but occasionally they will.

    The real key to staying safe is to avoid other people's mistakes.

  • Controversal - Trailer for Paul Kimmage Rough Rider Documentary1 year 17 weeks agoYour arguments make no sense

    Your arguments make no sense - as I already pointed out, David Walsh is embedded with Sky in their training camps. Walsh is at least as tenacious as Kimmage, and a far better writer to boot.

  • Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agoAt 10 points per penalty it

    At 10 points per penalty it is a fine balance between making it worth it to save transfers or to just take the hit.

    I felt that getting my sprinters in ahead of the three flat-ish stages was worth taking the hit and it's worked out ok. I probably missed out on Mezgec though for yesterday because I was trying to save transfers. Saving that transfer in the end wasn't worth it as Mezgec scored more than 10 points.

    Now that I'm commited to saving the transfers though I'm sticking to the plan and will take 6 into tomorrow. That doesn't just allow more re-jigging, it allows me more transfers for the TT too and means I can potentially bring in and then axe more specialist climbers.

  • Who's doing the Nightrider ride on June 8th1 year 17 weeks agoAt last, someone who has done

    At last, someone who has done it. Are you doing it again this year?

    I'm starting from Crystal Palace at around 11.00 pm I think. Have to check my entry form.

  • Controversal - Trailer for Paul Kimmage Rough Rider Documentary1 year 17 weeks agobashthebox wrote:I think

    bashthebox wrote:
    I think Kimmage was not let on the bus because he's a really, really disruptive person and though one must acknowledge that he's done a lot to remove doping from cycling, he's also a bit of a dick. That seems to be his personality.

    Or do you mean that he asks questions others won't? Remember all those hacks wringing their hands and feeling guilty back in October because they had turned a blind eye and courted Armstrong for so long?

    Is he so insensitive that he'd disrupt the team's daily routine? He seemed to fit in fine with Garmin.

    bashthebox wrote:
    As a man obsessed by doping, he's probably not the man to lead the fight any longer. I'm not sure he can take a reasoned and unbiased view on any of it... he's been conditioned to suspect the leading teams and riders in the peloton of wrongdoing.

    "Conditioned"? By whom?

    I think it's called experience, the one thing that you and I don't have. The cold shoulder treatment, the former friends who refused to speak to him even though his book said nothing about them; the refusal of Michael Barry to be interviewed and much more. The omerta, as it's known.

    Kimmage certainly has his place in cleaning up the sport. Maybe not as its figurehead or PR man, but I am 100% sure we wouldn't have got this far without him. Would you prefer a 'softly softly' approach where everyone just asks nice, easy questions?

  • Giro D'Italia Fiorenzo Magni commemorative jersey now available1 year 17 weeks agoI bought this, after prendas

    I bought this, after prendas mentioned they had a cheaper alternative to the Rapha Maglia nera in comments on the other road cc article.

    Ordered at 3.30pm, arrived next day. Quality and fit really good, the black is not quite as black as I'd like but this could be due to the fabric used, which is very light and partially woollen, as the article states

    Had no idea he was a fascist though! Whoops. Surprise

    Oh well, the name doesn't appear much on the Jersey and it looks great...so if you can turn a blind eye to the politics, I really recommend this product!

  • Tour de Romandie - Stage 31 year 17 weeks agodrheaton wrote:From my team

    drheaton wrote:
    From my team as it is I'll keep Froome and Porte tonight, and Morabito, and drop Meersman, Nizzolo, Gavazzi and possibly Albasini depending on budget. I'll be picking up as many quality climbers as I can afford (which is probably not many).

    I'm tempted to ditch Porte as I think he'll be working for Froome and may not feature at the finish but I'll want him for Sunday's TT.

    Once I looked at prices and having just 2 two cheap guys wasn't enough and would need a 3rd one anyway which is why I brought Mezgec in, and then Albasini is likely to do something today or tomorrow.

    See thats kind of my problem with Porte, its do I go Porte or do I go Rui Costa, over the two stages Im favouring Porte. Yes he may ride for Froome, but its is a hairy decent to the finish so I think they will try and have him and Froome there at the top, and so will both be at the finish.

    Its seems I will be going for quantity over quality, I could get Froome in for tomorrow and bring in Morabito too, or can go for Porte and say Betancur or Tschopp instead. But my problem is the TT, I could be left with Froome and Morabito and not be able to get Martin in and another I wont name, or I can have Porte, Betancur, Martin and the other along with Kelderman and Talansky, which to me looks strong enough, but means no Froome.

    In order to get that line up for the TT with Froome instead of Porte, Betancur would have to be replaced with someone of 6.2 credits or less and I see no value in that (unless you lucked in on the breakaway guy and he picks up all the points). As over the two stages I think the combo or Porte and Betancur will score more than Froome alone.

    Because I already had Talansky and Kelderman who can TT (as well as Dennis as a cheap guy) and Pinot for tomorrow I didn't see saving transfers adding too much value, apart from jigging around my cheap guys and axing Dehaes, but again that would have been lucking in on someone, whereas Megzec could score for me today

  • Controversal - Trailer for Paul Kimmage Rough Rider Documentary1 year 17 weeks agoI think Kimmage was not let

    I think Kimmage was not let on the bus because he's a really, really disruptive person and though one must acknowledge that he's done a lot to remove doping from cycling, he's also a bit of a dick. That seems to be his personality.
    Sky are very happy to have David Walsh travelling with them, and he is at least as anti-doping as Kimmage - you definitely can't argue that Walsh is less likely to expose team doping practises than Kimmage.
    He's tweeted a fair bit about Sky and Wiggo in his own inimitable, drawn out style. A lot of insinuations and innuendo - and as he admits, without evidence of any wrongdoing.
    As a man obsessed by doping, he's probably not the man to lead the fight any longer. I'm not sure he can take a reasoned and unbiased view on any of it... he's been conditioned to suspect the leading teams and riders in the peloton of wrongdoing. He asks why the press aren't asking questions - maybe because there's no evidence of anything wrong?

  • Controversal - Trailer for Paul Kimmage Rough Rider Documentary1 year 17 weeks agoSimon E wrote:He's prepared

    Simon E wrote:
    He's prepared to make himself unpopular, to make his own life extremely uncomfortable because he's unwilling to just let the sport get on with not cleaning itself up. If we geuinely want to see pro cycling cleaned up we need more people like him.

    +1

  • Why do so many Strava segments suck?1 year 17 weeks ago'..., or got off at the top

    '..., or got off at the top to catch your breath.....'. Sorry I don't understand?

  • Rapha offer personalised Team Sky replica jerseys1 year 17 weeks agobikeboy76

    bikeboy76 wrote:
    Simon_MacMichael wrote:
    Given the Soviet Union ceased to exist in 1991, I reckon you were done.

    True, but a united 'Soviet' team played in the European Championship in 1992 as the CIS, Commonwealth of Independent States.


    Thanks bikeboy. That's what makes the shirt, even though not actually one worn by the team, such a rarity. It was the last football shirt with CCCP (SSSR) across the chest. Really Simon...

  • Just in: Pinnacle Arkose Three1 year 17 weeks agoI bought one of these last

    I bought one of these last month as a commuter. Great bike. Feels very sturdy. I've stuck sks mudguards and a pannier rack on it no probs.

    It does feel a bit heavy, probably due to the tyres, but that's great as it gives me a better workout, and makes my road bike feel so much faster in comparison!

    The only major downside is the very loud squealing from the brakes when used in the wet. Is this normal for discs?
    Can it be fixed?
    Also, Evans gave me the bike with the rear caliper so misaligned that I could only stop it rubbing by completely reinstalling it. Not difficult, but I would have expected better service.