- Team GB plans for Word road champs?1 year 30 weeks agoI agree it would be good to
I agree it would be good to see Tiernan-Locke given a chance. He looks on form at the moment. I remember seeing an interview with Brailsford at the start of the year, after Tiernan-Locke won those early season races, and he didn't seem too impressed. Though the rumour is Sky are picking him up for next year.
If Thomas hadn't been on the track this year he would have been a shoe-in for team leader -- the course is ideal for him. It suits a classics rider down to the ground.
I don't think he will ride it, but it would have been interesting to see Wiggo having a go. Putting the full watts output on the Cauberg and continuing to the finish 1700m later, not many people would have come around him. A bit like the sprint he won earlier this year.
- Pat McQuaid Interview Part 31 year 30 weeks agoWell, before they introduced
Well, before they introduced the approval scheme, people complained that they could never know in advance whether they'd be allowed to race if they turned up on the day with a new kind of bike. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but the UCI approval sticker isn't /required/. You can still turn up the day and take your chances with the commissaires - if your bike is conventional, you're unlikely to have a problem.
Finally, if you want to make bicycles and sell them to the general public, you definitely don't need a UCI sticker.
- Team GB plans for Word road champs?1 year 30 weeks agoWould love to see
Would love to see Tiernan-Locke get a chance. Think he mentioned in an interview last month that he wants a crack at it.
Course should suit and if BC haven't got any other plans then why not?
- Updated: Driver in Simon Richardson case found guilty of dangerous driving1 year 30 weeks agoI'm still confused at the
I'm still confused at the differentiation between 'careless' and 'dangerous' driving. Surely careless driving IS dangerous driving? Is there a difference between careless and dangerous shooting?
- RoadCC club on strava1 year 30 weeks agoI'm in. What a great
I'm in. What a great motivator - I'm actually going to get up earlier just to get a clearer run and get some KOMs. I'm sure the faster people are riding with less tourists about.
- Team GB plans for Word road champs?1 year 30 weeks agoI'm not sure Great Britain
I'm not sure Great Britain has much of a chance in the World Championships this year because of the course.
We don't know how many qualification spots they will get yet, but with all the success it should be 8 or 9.
Like you say Thomas & Kennaugh have been concentrating on the track so might not ride or if they did probably won't finish. Cavendish has said he will start the race out of respect for the jersey, but won't finish.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jonathan Tiernan-Locke in the team along with Stannard, Froome, Cummings and Hunt.
- Chris Hoy and his special track bike1 year 30 weeks agotimmmers wrote:You can buytimmmers wrote:
You can buy the bikes here, or the parts. It's a requirement that Team GB bikes are commercially available. http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/cycling/
The other teams could buy them if they thought there was some advantage to them too. The advantage is the rider, and we have lots and lots of those right now
I doubt these bikes are available. If they were, the price would be outrageous and the waiting time many years long.
GB bending the rules all with the assistance of UCI.
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoSpeed Kills? I've been
Speed Kills? I've been pondering this. Oh, and helmets:
- Chris Froome to lead Team Sky in Vuelta as strong climbing team named1 year 30 weeks agoAGH! Just realised I'm on
AGH! Just realised I'm on holiday for the first week!
Wonder if it'll be on in Sicily?!
- Chris Froome to lead Team Sky in Vuelta as strong climbing team named1 year 30 weeks agoNo surprise there! but is it
No surprise there! but is it a race too far for team sky? As only the hills will tell us the answer to that one am looking forward to this years vuelta it promises to be a cracking race.
Did wonder if Sky would make winning all 3 grand tours in one season their next major objective for 2013 on
- Chris Froome to lead Team Sky in Vuelta as strong climbing team named1 year 30 weeks agoMaybe leaves Wiggo and Cav
Maybe leaves Wiggo and Cav free to start the tour of Britain on the 9th Sept?
Nice one ITV4!
- Mark Cavendish1 year 30 weeks agoAnd look at how succesful
And look at how succesful those footballers were!!
- Updated: Driver in Simon Richardson case found guilty of dangerous driving1 year 30 weeks agospot on guidob, spot on.
spot on guidob, spot on.
- Chris Froome to lead Team Sky in Vuelta as strong climbing team named1 year 30 weeks agohttp://www.itvmedia.co.uk/ins
"ITV4 to broadcast highlights of La Vuelta a Espana 2012"
Also good to see them react to the changing popularity etc, it wasn't long ago that they tweeted the exact opposite.
- Chris Froome to lead Team Sky in Vuelta as strong climbing team named1 year 30 weeks ago"Initially I’ll be riding for
"Initially I’ll be riding for the GC, but if one of my team-mates shows that they’re in a better place to win the race then I’ll happily work for them"
Maybe I'm being sensitive, but this sounds just slightly bitchy...
- Olympic BMX: GB's Shanaze Reade and Liam Phillips get their campaigns safely under way today1 year 30 weeks agoquite a lot of them use
quite a lot of them use clipless pedals with a platform like the shimano DX spds. The platform helps guide your foot into the clip and gives a bit more support & grip if you can't get clipped in. Got some on my MTB and they're ace.
- Wendy Houvenaghel says decision to leave her out of team pursuit squad was 'vindictive'1 year 30 weeks agoPerhaps we should send
Perhaps we should send Micheal Winner round her house to say calm down dear it's only a race
- Updated: Driver in Simon Richardson case found guilty of dangerous driving1 year 30 weeks agoSo he also broke the law by
So he also broke the law by not reporting that he had hit a sheep to the police within 24hrs let alone being pissed out of his head and not able to see. Ooooh I feel some quality british justice about to be delivered.
- Bike Food Pure Energy Gel (25 pack)1 year 30 weeks agoThanks for the feedback,
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I have amended the original review to clarify the suitability of these gels for vegans and vegetarians.
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoAs I have said in the past
As I have said in the past and yet again if we all keep arguing amongst ourselves gutter journos are going to pick the ball up and run with it (in the wrong direction) please people stop! you opions are your own and you are entitled to them, but continually stating your views on various websites may not be the way forward. (I'm not claiming to know what the answer is) but I do wonder how much media attention Mr. Humphrys' comments would receive if we didn't go up in flames everytime.
- Mark Cavendish1 year 30 weeks agoIt wouldn't bother me if he
It wouldn't bother me if he bought a pink elephant which could dance the lambada and make a mean G&T. He's paid to do a job and generally does it brilliantly. As notfastenough says, if you compare him with a footballer in terms of ratio of salary to effort put in, he would be a relative bargain
- Help us get Bath on track!1 year 30 weeks agoDone, its got to be good for
Done, its got to be good for the whole Bath / Bristol cycling community
- Updated: Driver in Simon Richardson case found guilty of dangerous driving1 year 30 weeks agoWe'll see. I do not doubt
We'll see. I do not doubt that he will be found guilty. I am just curious as to see what he is found guilty of and the sentence that is handed down.
When I grew up I was taught that a "Hit and run" accident was a criminal offence irrespective out the actual degree of the accident. But so often now this elemnet seems to be almost totally ignored.
- Updated: Driver in Simon Richardson case found guilty of dangerous driving1 year 30 weeks agoThis certainly makes for
This certainly makes for interesting reading,
In this case, even if the driver doesn't believe they were driving dangerously, being over the limit or having bad eye sight still constitutes dangerous driving, so its difficult to see how or why it is possible for the driver to plead not guilty when both have been proven. Can any lawyers amongst the readership illuminate why he might have been advised to do this? Also the penalty says 1 to 14 years, is this advisor or if convicted will the minimum sentence be a custodial one?
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoExcept that a bike helmet,
Except that a bike helmet, unlike a motorcycle one, offers support only up to about 12mph. I wear one all the time, but I don't think it will offer me any safety, unless I fall off, on my own, at low speed.
I completely support the right of people to make their own choices. And the obligation on drivers of motor vehicles not to hit us.
There is evidence that some drivers go closer to people on bikes wearing helmets.
There is no evidence that people with helmets are in fact safer. There is evidence that where helmets are compulsory, cycling becomes less safe.
Don't let "common sense" trump evidence. And don't let drivers think that they aren't responsible when they hit us.