- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoThing is, when you do drive
Thing is, when you do drive at 20mph along a road with speedbumps (and that's as fast as you want to) there's always some numpty coming up behind tailgating because he/she wants to get past. My own street has speedbumps and it's residential, so 20 is plenty. But the other week I had some loon tailgating and flashing his lights behind me because he clearly thought it was ok to go faster. As he was so close, I slowed down to reduce the potential impact damage in the event of an incident.
In his case, and in those of many others I've seen, education is the key.
Cycling into the centre of London this week I was struck by how empty of cars the streets are. These Olympics are really good for cycling across the city. That still didn't stop me and my wife from having yet another loon zoom past with only cm to spare.
- Olympic Track Day 3: Fourth gold in the Velodrome for GB as women's team pursuit squad smash world record again1 year 30 weeks agoGreat ride
- Olympic Track Day 3: Fourth gold in the Velodrome for GB as women's team pursuit squad smash world record again1 year 30 weeks ago6 races, 6 records. I think I
6 races, 6 records. I think I might be in love!
- Cyclist killed by Olympic bus: witness accounts and Wiggins's input1 year 30 weeks agostrange that wiggo thinks
strange that wiggo thinks helmets should be compulsory and ipods and phones be made illegal whilst cycling because he wasn't wearing one the other sunday while out riding with his son in paris and for the three weeks before that he was cycling at speed in a big group with an earpiece in his ear and talking into a microphone!!!
- Anyone bought anything cool recently1 year 30 weeks agocarbon fibre chain catcher,
carbon fibre chain catcher, so much lighter than the aluminium one i already own!
- Shutt club bibs1 year 30 weeks agoHave 2 pairs of 2010
Have 2 pairs of 2010 Orbea-FGS Shutt bib shorts and they're dead comfy so when I saw the £39 price AND they have a £5 voucher code this weekend (see https://twitter.com/ShuttVeloRapide) I couldn't resist.
- Wanted: £75 Wheels1 year 30 weeks agoNope they aint, go to Ribble
Nope they aint, go to Ribble and they are listed as £0.00, Which normally means they aint got stock or are delisting them
OR, It could be the website is not working as I can't get on many of their items, just says there is nothing there
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks ago+1 with MercuryOne on both
+1 with MercuryOne on both posts. The helmet debate is a red herring. Until central and local government legislate the protection of vulnerable road users and NOT by demanding that they dress in fluorescent colours and wear various types of body armour then our roads will continue to generate fatalities. We all know that the majority of collisions will have been caused by speed and commonsense tell us that slowing down will reduce the risk to all. The recent research in Scotland regards speed cameras proves this. In a nutshell SLOW DOWN!!
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoIts simple to solve for the
Its simple to solve for the future...
Start laying dedicated roads for Bikes Today, just like we did when the Motor Car was invented, and the train, so why not Cycles..
People would flock to the cycle roads (Paying for it, well that's another discussion)..
This would provide harmony safe and Pure common sense amongst this non stop divide between cyclist and Motorist..
- Wanted: £75 Wheels1 year 30 weeks agoThese are cheap on Ribble as
These are cheap on Ribble as well
- Wanted: £75 Wheels1 year 30 weeks agoJust call me matchmaker Not
Just call me matchmaker Not new,
Or new for £75 including postage
Or the black ones a little cheaper
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoGood, we can save hundred of
Good, we can save hundred of lives and make motorists and their passengers wear helmets.
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoI realise that 20mph is a
I realise that 20mph is a pain in the arse when driving. I don't foresee making most residential areas 20mph zones actually slowing motorists to 20mph. Unfortunately after 50 years of social drift the 30mph limit actually means 35-40mph to over 60% of drivers. I hope 20mph limits will instead slow people to 25mph-30mph as the death rate at speeds below 30mph - for all concerned - is far less.
Once everyone is used to travelling more slowly more people will get back on bikes.
The funny thing is all local councils now have the power to set such limits without permission from the DoT. It's within our grasp to pressure this change through town by town and get our kids back on bikes to school.
Brad Wiggins needs to push' 20 is plenty' and as his wife Cath is a member is our club I shall be putting it to the power behind the throne.
- Poor Hugh Porter1 year 30 weeks ago...and Hugh's sticking with
...and Hugh's sticking with VeneNzuela. I've written to their ambassador to apologise and ask if they mind changing the name of their pround nation
- QACHIA C8.01 year 30 weeks agoWhat kind of kit did you use
What kind of kit did you use to build it up?
Got some finished pictures
- John Humphrys asks: who's to blame for cycle safety?1 year 30 weeks agoQuote:Why do Humphrys,Quote:
Why do Humphrys, Wiggins and others insist on ignoring this and concentrate on recommending an unproven, pseudo-safety device?
Because it appears to make sense. The problem is that, like a lot of things that make sense, the evidence just isn't there for a safety benefit.
Having said this, I always wear a helmet on the bike, but I do feel it should be a personal choice.
- Anyone bought anything cool recently1 year 30 weeks agoNothing - my wife took me
Nothing - my wife took me bank cards off me cos i would have gone mad buying Wiggo t shirts and other stuff that i would have put straight into a drawer.
- Eneco Tour1 year 30 weeks agoAs the riders are using this
As the riders are using this as a warm up for the Vuelta, I'm doing exactly the same......coming storming through into a top 10 finish......wishful thinking
- Poor Hugh Porter1 year 30 weeks agoHe's awful, but I do like his
He's awful, but I do like his voice for covering the cycling, I suppose its just what I've grown up with. Like watching the TdF on C4 when I was younger.
Snooker was the same, its just not right without Ted Lowe
- QACHIA C8.01 year 30 weeks agoFantastic frame and worth for
Fantastic frame and worth for the money
- Poor Hugh Porter1 year 30 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:Argh, he's justGkam84 wrote:
Argh, he's just getting worse......SHUT YOUR MOUTH and wait for the computer to tell you and stop guessing it.
Spouting that Hansen won the points race, lets total everything......blah blah blah, Oh Kluge won it......DUH, even I knew that and was shouting at him, It came up on the TV, so he must have had it on computer
Ok i will take back my last entry, he was bloody awfull
- Eneco Tour1 year 30 weeks agoGone for a mixture of
Gone for a mixture of sprinters and hard working all rounders.
Got a few points left over so if a couple fail badly then i can swap them around without taking any penalties.
- Olympic Track Day 3: Fourth gold in the Velodrome for GB as women's team pursuit squad smash world record again1 year 30 weeks agoThe elimination race was the
The elimination race was the usual shambles. At least two riders, Hong Kong and USA got eliminated twice. They really need to sort it out, put an ear piece in ear ride and deafen them with sound, that would work better than a little red flashing light that some people have set on their bike that they can't see it properly
- Vuelta 2012 on ITV4?1 year 30 weeks agoSimple answer.......NOPE
- Olympic Track Day 3: Fourth gold in the Velodrome for GB as women's team pursuit squad smash world record again1 year 30 weeks agoHow do they do it? 6 world
How do they do it? 6 world records in a row in their last 6 races, way to go ladies!