• L'Eroica Britannia: best of British1 year 9 weeks agoI'm pretty sure my mates and

    I'm pretty sure my mates and I all refer to it as "The Peaks", even the ones that live there.

  • Carbon frame life1 year 9 weeks ago+1 on comments recommending

    +1 on comments recommending the kinesis gran fondo ti, it's what I ride and very pleased with the choice I made.

    choosing a bike based on longevity of the material (or let's be honest, the warranty period offered) is a sound strategy. RE the example above,. I'm not convinced there's been that many technological innovations over the past 12 years which will actually make a difference. Threaded BSA BB's are still in common use, as are calliper brakes, discs being a very new development for road bikes, 1 1/8 in headsets also common, and so for all of these standards there are lots of after market options even after 12 years..

    Obviously no one would deliberately choose a weak frame because they intend to change bikes every 2 years, but I imagine titanium owners change bikes less frequently than those who own Al and carbon..

    Just a gut feeling, no evidence!..

  • L'Eroica Britannia: best of British1 year 9 weeks agoIm sure the hospitals of

    Im sure the hospitals of Derbyshire were overflowing with injured, reckless, helmetless cyclists after this.
    Absolutely crazy to have a mass participation event on bicycles where people are allowed to choose whether to wear a helmet or not and therefore ensuring certain death (or worse).
    Stop this madness now!

  • Bealach-na-Ba, Applecross1 year 9 weeks agoJuly? Just camp.

    July? Just camp. http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/scotland/north-scotland/wester...

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 9 weeks agoI'm sorry that some comments

    I'm sorry that some comments here got into a spiral of rudeness. It really doesn't help anybody (but it is an ever-present temptation to go that way in these sorts of arguments). And I do think that casting doubts on the story of how Harry_J came to post here was a bit unnecessary (and not relevant to the topic anyway)

    But, Harry_J, while polite, has stuck to a totally fixed-position, which is simply incorrect.

    Take the following statements:

    "there are bad drivers, there are bad cyclists, they all cause accidents, angst and trauma."

    At attempt at equivalence which is just flat-out factually wrong. The bad drivers cause far, far more trauma than the bad cyclists.

    " i'm saying cycling is dangerous"

    Again, wrong. Cycling isn't dangerous - its the driving that brings the danger to the situation. Its that old transitive/intransitive distinction again.

    " why not learn to co exist with motorists? you will not change the fact they are human so why try?"

    This just comes across as patronising, and also misses the point. Almost all cyclists who stay on the roads have had no choice but to 'learn to co-exist with motorists', but it doesn't keep them safe because at least a substantial minority of drivers just won't learn to co-exist with cyclists. (Incidentally, my experience is that most 'bad cyclists' don't deal with motorists at all, because they stick entirely to the pavements).

    And I agree we can't change the fact of drivers being normal flawed humans, which is why, in my opinion, we need better infrastructure to improve our chances against those humans with weapons (who behave in the way humans always do when they have weapons). Better law enforcement would help as well though.

    "cyclists as the vulnerable should take on the mindset that being in the right does not keep you safe. "

    Again - that just comes over as patronising, as everyone here already knows that from experience. Anyone taking up cycling on the roads will learn that very quickly. And again, its why things need to change.

    What annoyed me initially was your (Harry_J)'s claim that there's an equivalence, that 'bad cyclists' are exactly equivalent to 'bad motorists' in both numbers and effect. A lot of drivers seem to think that and it is just nonsense on stilts.

  • TdS stage 91 year 9 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:The stage was

    Gkam84 wrote:
    The stage was 156.5km long and the final KOM came at 155km, so it was scored

    I thought when a stage was rated in the game as a summit finish then final KOM pts were ignored?

  • L'Eroica Britannia: best of British1 year 9 weeks agoP3t3 wrote:Where is this

    P3t3 wrote:
    Where is this "Peaks" where the event took place? If it was in Derbyshire then it was probably in The Peak District, which is colloquially known as "The peak". It isn't the Peak District because it is full of peaks, its the Peak District because its the region formerly of the Pecsaetans.

    wow, you're right. that extra S ruined the whole article for me, i couldn't make head nor tail of any of it after reading that. In fact i think i'll go and smash my computer to pieces now, because EVERYTHING IS RUINED

    ffs.

    PS this is you: http://xkcd.com/386/

  • L'Eroica Britannia: best of British1 year 9 weeks agoSamShaw wrote: it's only

    SamShaw wrote:
    it's only going to get bigger and better judging by the positivity surrounding the event. Look forward to getting there myself in the coming years!

    There was a fair lump of negativity about it on here a few months ago, mainly driven by people moaning about the price if I remember rightly.

    I thought it was reasonably priced at the £75/80 mark, but looking at the pictures if I had taken up the offer of the early bird ticket at £40/50 or whatever it was then it would have been an absolute steal.

  • L'Eroica Britannia: best of British1 year 9 weeks agoWhere is this "Peaks" where

    Where is this "Peaks" where the event took place? If it was in Derbyshire then it was probably in The Peak District, which is colloquially known as "The peak". It isn't the Peak District because it is full of peaks, its the Peak District because its the region formerly of the Pecsaetans.

    I know you are in Bristol, but its a bit of a clanger for a local...

    Pedantry over

  • Ghana fields first ever track cyclist at Commonwealth Games this summer1 year 9 weeks agoYou're correct, that's an

    You're correct, that's an error, due to his link up with Nissan Sir Chris has been rebranded to Sir Chris Hot Hatchback.

  • L'Eroica Britannia: best of British1 year 9 weeks agoNot jealous... not jealous at

    Not jealous... not jealous at all.

    Looks like this one's here to stay, it's only going to get bigger and better judging by the positivity surrounding the event. Look forward to getting there myself in the coming years!

  • Carbon frame life1 year 9 weeks agoFlying Scot wrote:... though

    Flying Scot wrote:
    ... though the consensus is that it doesn't retain all of its stiffness over time...

    Consensus among whom ... the ignorant?

    Back to original post. By all means justify a frame purchase by the longevity of the materials said frame is built from, but ask yourself whether or not you really will forego a new bike purchase over that period? My 2002 Ti frame is great - but it has a BSA threaded BB shell (rather than press fit), an inch and an eighth head tube (rather than a tapered inch and a half to inch and an eighth) and an external headset. And it doesn't have disc tabs or 135mm spaced rear end. If you are happy foregoing loads of tehcnical innovations then maybe it is valid to use a 30 year life span as a justification for buying a Ti frame.

  • Pictures of your Bike1 year 9 weeks agoMy newly acquired Bernard

    My newly acquired Bernard Dangre; a rather old, sun-kissed, bargain-basement French racer. A car load of us are off to watch stages 4, 5 and 6 of the TDF in a couple of weeks - not taking our best bikes for fear of transport damage, theft outside the cafes, or forgetting where we left them.

    Follow the fun here akas.co.nf/fourtoletour/

  • Shutt VR Ltd Edition Green Tweed Cap1 year 9 weeks agoFashion Victim.. Have you not

    Fashion Victim.. Have you not noticed the rise in retro..?

    Cycling caps have been part of cycling since it began.. Great to see a British Brand actually making a traditional cycling cap in Britain..

    Come on Rapha you can too!

  • David Walsh claims Team Sky's use of therapeutic use exemptions conflicts with its ethical stance1 year 9 weeks agoGrizzerly wrote:As I

    Grizzerly wrote:
    As I understand it, the whole concept of the introduction of TUEs was to comply with EU employment regulations. It would be discriminatory to prevent an individual plying his legitimate trade by denying him access to medication. That is why WADA allow TUEs. That is why a TUE was appropriate. It would be illegal for Sky to have an internal rule banning them in these circumstances.
    .

    And I wouldn't be surprised if CF insisted on it (not that I think any one rider should be bigger than the team, I don't think they should be compromising their position/beliefs on approach to this stuff, even for a GC contender). He seems even more competitive, maybe even a bit on edge, this year- if that's possible! Probably because things aren't going all his way or so smoothly this year.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 9 weeks agoAnd finally, I get to 'meet'

    And finally, I get to 'meet' the person speaking for "the majority of the cycling community". Hi there!

    It's funny how the two of you complain about people being "unpleasant" while at the same time showing the exact kind of behaviour yourselves that you claim to be too mature for. Know what that makes you? Twatwaffles. Of the particularly dumb and full of themselves kind. I'm certainly not above insulting people if I feel that it's deserved. And, evidently, neither are you - but unlike me, you claim you are when you're clearly not. That is what I would call "unpleasant".

    It's jolly nice nice of you, Andy, to finally come forward. Why not earlier though? A lot of the suspicion could have been avoided that way. Especially given the way that Harry here seems incapable of sticking to a specific version of his story, just like he seems incapable of sticking to a specific version of his arguments. First the email address was "false", then he changed this to "decided not to put the email address it was sent from". I don't think anybody here could possibly be blamed for finding his story a tad hard to believe initially and even more so afterwards, until you came along and confirmed at least parts of it.

    And Harry, you still haven't answered the question posed to you, by me and at least two others in this thread, what the heck makes you think that a cyclist who takes all possible precautions, riding defensively and carefully, fully abiding by the rules of the road, is somehow still to blame for being wiped out? You were not particularly coherent in this regard before, maybe you want to try again?

  • Ghana fields first ever track cyclist at Commonwealth Games this summer1 year 9 weeks agoI know many consider him to

    I know many consider him to be a good-looking chap, but has Sir Chris really changed his name to Sir Chris Hot?

  • Colnago launch V1-r aero road bike1 year 9 weeks ago$5,000.00

    $5,000.00 At Wits End

  • David Walsh claims Team Sky's use of therapeutic use exemptions conflicts with its ethical stance1 year 9 weeks agoScottIreland wrote:As long as

    ScottIreland wrote:
    As long as a rider is on the course with an exemption, it should be so noted publicly

    I disagree and this article explains why much better than I can: https://medium.com/@MichaelCarcaise/tue-confidentiality-in-pro-cycling-9...

  • Ghana fields first ever track cyclist at Commonwealth Games this summer1 year 9 weeks agoAre Kenya sending any of

    Are Kenya sending any of their riders over for the Games?

    Wink

  • Pictures of your Bike1 year 9 weeks agoI realise position is a very

    I realise position is a very individual thing (ie comfort and saddle tilt-related issues) but it seems that your saddle is quite far back for a TT position, no? It closes the hip angle and reduces the power you can put down, sort-of handicapping your main power-generating muscles. Also, if you have no flexibility issues, you can really benefit from a lower or more stretched-out position on the front end, provided elbows are not too far off 90deg. Basically, there are mountains of 'free speed' to be gained by experimenting with position. Yours might already be optimal for you, I'm not a bike fitter, but just suggesting shifting saddle forward and dropping the stem lower if you haven't tried it already.

  • Ghana fields first ever track cyclist at Commonwealth Games this summer1 year 9 weeks agoI'll watch out for him, I

    I'll watch out for him, I like rooting for the underdog (and hope he doesn't mind me referring to him as such).

  • L'Erocia1 year 9 weeks agoLondon

    London

  • A delicate subject...1 year 9 weeks agoit will take you minutes to

    it will take you minutes to try your old saddle on your new bike just to see if it's the new saddle causing you pain.

  • L'Erocia1 year 9 weeks agoWhere are you based?

    Where are you based?