- Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoScotchPoth wrote:Never useScotchPoth wrote:
Never use headphones when cycling,its fatal,the same goes for joggers and pedestrians particulary on cycle paths who cannot hear your warnings or bell and grumble when you go past at close proximity because of their selfish stupidity
I'd say the lesson was more 'look and listen as much as possible when crossing a railway line' (which would imply don't wear headphones when doing that). Not sure how you extend it to the degree you do. This poor guy made a single mistake and paid dearly for it. Sad, and definitely the lesson is to be careful at such crossings. But I don't think you can extend it as you do.
Not quite sure I agree with your putting the burden on the pedestrians with regard to bikes, either, though it depends what you mean exactly by 'cycle paths'. I do think its fair to put the onus on the ped if they are annoyingly walking in a clearly marked cycle path when there's an equally obvious footpath right next to it - but not if its a shared use monstrosity.
- Middlesbrough to get 250-metre outdoor velodrome1 year 8 weeks agoAt least they spelt
At least they spelt Middlesbrough right with one o instead of the usual two.
- 64 year old cyclist found to be carrying knife, air gun and nunchucks after being hit by car1 year 8 weeks agoCyclist wrote:arfaCyclist wrote:arfa wrote:
We're mostly lucky in the UK that we don't live in a gun/weapon ruled society and long
I take it you live in the Cotswolds?? You have obviously never been to Nottingham!
the Cotswolds? everyone and their mums are packing around there!
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoMy condolences.
- Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink and Powerlink SSC Clinchers - Brand Spanking New.1 year 8 weeks ago...::: TYRES ARE NOW SOLD
...::: TYRES ARE NOW SOLD :::...
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoVery sad. RIP Steve.
Very sad. RIP Steve.
- Sergio Henao suspended by sky1 year 8 weeks agoYou are idealists.
You are idealists.
- Supersix vs Evo1 year 8 weeks agoHaving owned a supersix and
Having owned a supersix and then swapping the frame out for an Evo Hi mod Ballistec I experienced a dramatic difference!
The two frames are totally different from the skinnier tubes of the Evo, the super skinny seat tube to the massively noticeable weight saving.
The bike felt a lot more agile and picked up speed a lot quicker.
I know Cannondale now make 101 different versions of the Evo but I cannot recommend the Hi Mod version enough!
- 64 year old cyclist found to be carrying knife, air gun and nunchucks after being hit by car1 year 8 weeks agoWhat was the driver charged
What was the driver charged with -using his/her car as an offensive weapon?
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoVery sorry to hear this. I
Very sorry to hear this. I was enjoying one of his reviews just a few hours ago, so a bit of a shock.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoMTB legend.
Shit and crap.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoSo sad, have respected
So sad, have respected Steve's journalism since the early days of reading MBUK in my teens. RIP Steve and condolences to your family, a legend has left the building x
- Cyclist hit by train was warned by walkers, inquest hears1 year 8 weeks agoTrains. Big things. Big
Trains. Big things. Big things that dont stop too easily. Tend to come in one of two directions, normally indicated by the tracks they run on. Humans only encounter them at two types of places - railway stations and railway crossings.
Unless you actually want to be hit by a train, they ought not be too difficult to avoid.
- Gent - Wevelgem in Flanders Fields1 year 8 weeks agoOh fair does. PCS where the
Oh fair does. PCS where the only site I saw with that and I have an affliction with making money from other peoples hard work....
- Womens World Cup1 year 8 weeks agoJust made roster changes.
Just made roster changes. Dani King and Elinor Barker were well picked riders
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoSo sad. Thoughts and prayers
So sad. Thoughts and prayers with family at this time.
- Gent - Wevelgem in Flanders Fields1 year 8 weeks agoMaybe fromQuote:
The race follows a unique route through the area that was the setting of the First World War 100 years ago. This is why the subtitle ‘In Flanders Fields’ is now added to the classic’s name.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoSuch sad news. RIP Steve.
Such sad news. RIP Steve. Thoughts and best wishes to those he leaves behind. A life well lived, I'd like to imagine.
His articles have inspired me from childhood, and continued to do so to the present day. His work has just always been there, through my entire cycling life.
When you saw Worland's name at the top of the page, you knew you were in for a treat.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoSo sad, so so sad.
So sad, so so sad.
Read his articles since the early days MBUK and read his article in Singletrack today.
Whenever I see his name I still read 'rugged and windswept' as a middle name!
- 64 year old cyclist found to be carrying knife, air gun and nunchucks after being hit by car1 year 8 weeks agoHopefully, if his defence was
Hopefully, if his defence was that the weapons were for self defence then he'd have the reported previous incidents(that led to him feeling at risk) to plod.
Like other comments here, if you feel like you need to carry something just in case, then carry something with a plausible legitimate use as a reasonable excuse for possessing such item - make the defence of "instant arming" more believable.
I personally stick a large truncheon down the front of my lycra shorts whenever I go cycling, not out of fear for my safety, just to impress the girls.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoSuch sad news. I've enjoyed
Such sad news. I've enjoyed his work for many years. I'm sure he'll leave a massive hole for his family, friends and colleagues - my thoughts are with them
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoThis is so depressing. Steve
This is so depressing. Steve was a great writer, and that is only how I new him. I'm deeply saddened.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoShocking is an overused word,
Shocking is an overused word, but I am truly in shock. Steve's writing from 1991 is partly responsible for getting me back into cycling after the motorcycle/car years of late teens, and thereby responsible for my current good health over 20 years later.
Godspeed Steve, keep the rubber side down.
- Steve Worland 1954 - 20141 year 8 weeks agoOh no!
I too, as with many
I too, as with many of the above, remember Steve's writing in MBUK and MTB Pro from the good old days of purple anodising and one bike that did xc, downhill, uphill and everything in between. Happy days of skinny steel tubes, flat bars and titanium worship that in themselves are much missed.
Having seen his name on here recently it was nice to see that despite all the changes in the media and bike industries he was still plying his trade in the here and now - surely a pretty damned good way of making a living, and living a life.
My condolences to the road.cc crew and his family.
- Gent - Wevelgem in Flanders Fields1 year 8 weeks agoWhere is the "in Flanders
Where is the "in Flanders Fields" coming from, apart from that abomination of PCS
Here is the official guide....don't go changing the name http://gw.pro.p.assets.flandersclassics.be/files/1062/original/FC13_GW%2...