• Phil Liggett: "They all seemed to have been cheating"1 year 25 weeks agoWell, I think pressure was

    Well, I think pressure was put on the witnesses to be forthcoming...it was a grand jury subpoena after all!

    I, too, believed that Lance was being persecuted by an overzealous US government agency trying to justify spending taxpayer money.on a case the justice dept gave up on. I believe in innocent until proven guilty and not the other way around. But the evidence is out and it is not looking good for Lance even though he remains adament that he didn't dope. I almost feel sorry for Lance and wonder if he might be mentally ill in some way because his continued denial is pathological!

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoI think the point is being

    I think the point is being missed here.

    He's not saying kick out cycling because cyclists dope. IN fact he's not saying kick it out at all, he's saying there should be some sanction on their participation i.e. it should be conditional on them cleaning up their act.

    And his target is not the cyclists it is the authorities who many people think are complicit in the culture and practice of doping, and do not have the will or the skill to eradicate it.

    He's not the only one to think that - look at Rabobank's reasons for pulling their sponsorship.

    That's why the argument that Track and Field athletes doped is not relevant. Yes they've done it and yes some countries are better than others at prevention but there isn't the same suggestion that the IAAF has at best ignored and at worst nurtured a widespread culture of doping. As a governing body they are not tainted in the way that the UCI is.

    Frankly I think this is a good thing. McQuaid is up for re-election soon and the structure of the UCI is such that it is very difficult to get rid of the leadership. It depends on a small group of officials who frankly have a vested interest in not rocking the boat - not unlike FIFA (or the IOC itself).
    Only the thought that chucking McQuaid overboard will stop them from being swamped will lead to any change at the top, so if Daley wants to talk up a storm then good for him.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoAs others have said

    As others have said 'atheletics clean', football, tennis. I heared that a certain female British Olympic hurdler tested positive for doping.

  • Phil Liggett: "They all seemed to have been cheating"1 year 25 weeks agoI'm now starting to feel

    I'm now starting to feel sorry for Phil. Surely though to be that deep in cycling and not notice is careless at best. The writing has been on the wall for years.

  • "This is no life!" Johny Schleck advises sons Fränk and Andy to quit cycling1 year 25 weeks agoIs that the same Schleck

    Is that the same Schleck senior who was arrested by French customs at the Tour searching for contraband-and I dont think they meant duty free fags? I wouldnt miss them

  • Head cover Or Not1 year 25 weeks agoHoopdriver wrote:What's the

    Hoopdriver wrote:
    What's the big deal? It's a hat, for God's sake

    [[[[ Dear Hoopdriver----you're entirely missing the point, old bean. Far more drivers & their passengers get head-injuries than do cyclists. So if THEY were to object to a proposal that all car-occupants and passengers must wear helmets, you'd say, "What's the big deal--it's just a hat!", would you? And let's not forget the pedestrians----helmets for all! What's the big deal?
    P.R.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoYou can't attack a "sport"

    You can't attack a "sport" because of people that use drugs within that sport. The fact that the UCI and many national so-called anti-doping agencies have failed to do much to curb illicit drug use within the UCI-sanctioned races over the past 20 years actually shouldn't have ANY bearing on the Olympics whatsoever. The IOC is perfectly capable of imposing their own system to combat drug usage, and they should be able to weed out users if that is really their goal.

    It seems to me that as of late, Olympic competition is just a periodic selection of the top professional athletes, nothing more. There was a time when professional sport wasn't so lucrative, and professionals weren't even allowed in the Olympics. Now the floodgates have been opened and half of the events seem to have a "Dream Team" of millionaire athletes from one of the big Western countries. Well, at that point you are pretty much stuck with accepting whatever level of doping or other unsportsmanlike conduct is allowed in that professional sport, UNLESS you step up to the plate and put stricter controls in place on your own. But, much like the UCI, the IOC is primarily interested in viewership (money). And they have decided the best way to get the most money is to have the big names there, regardless of whether they are competing on a level playing field. It's a short sighted goal but one that ensures the folks running the show right now get the most out of it, at the expense of generations to come.

    To single out cycling simply because they have actually cracked down on a rampant problem is ridiculous. Even if the cycle continues and clandestine doping programs start to develop again, the fallout from the USADA/Armstrong case and the Ferrari case will wipe out enough doping teams and individuals that it would take a hell of a lot longer than 4 years for anything on this scale to be in place again. So the 2016 Olympics could very well be the cleanest group of cyclists to compete since the 1980s. What a stupid time to pull it from the table.

  • Metric Century Challenge 2011-20121 year 25 weeks ago6 Nov '11: 1 point 100.1km

    6 Nov '11: 1 point 100.1km :
    12 Nov '11: 1 point 110.6Km : Total points 2: Total KM 210.7
    24 Nov '11: 1 point 100.4Km : Total points 3: Total KM 311.1
    4 Dec '11: 1 point 102.1km : : Total points 4: Total KM 413.2
    8 Jan '12: 1 point 104.2km : : Total points 5: Total KM 517.4
    26 Feb '12: 1 point 103.2km : : Total points 6: Total KM 620.6
    11 March '12: 1 point 100.2km : : Total points 7: Total KM 720.8
    18 March '12: 1 point 133.0km : : Total points 8: Total KM 853.8
    21 March '12: 1 point 116.6km : : Total points 9: Total KM 970.4
    22 March '12: 1 point 100.7km : : Total points 10 Total KM 1071.1
    12 April '12: 1 point 103.2km : : Total points 11: Total KM 1174.3
    6 May '12: 1 point 107.7km : : Total points 12: Total KM 1282.0
    27 May '12: 1 point 101.7km : : Total points 13: Total KM 1383.7
    10 June '12: 1 point 115.5km : : Total points 14: Total KM 1498.2
    14 June '12: 1 point 106.9km : : Total points 15: Total KM 1604.9
    24 June '12: 1 point 101.2km : : Total points 16: Total KM 1706.1
    1 July '12: 1 point 103.5km : : Total points 17: Total KM 1809.6
    15 July '12: 1 point 100.2km : : Total points 18: Total KM 1909.8
    22 July '12: 1 point 106.8km : : Total points 19: Total KM 2016.6
    29 July '12: 1 point 101.1km : : Total points 20 Total KM 2117.7
    9 August '12: 1 point 108.9km : : Total points 21: Total KM 2226.8
    10 August '12: 1 point 109.1km : : Total points 22: Total KM 2335.9
    19 August '12: 1 point 100.5km : : Total points 23: Total KM 2436.4
    26 August '12: 1 point 102.1km : : Total points 24: Total KM 2538.5
    1 Sept '12: 1 point 100.01 km : : Total points 25: Total KM 2638.5
    9 Sept '12: 1 point 113.3 km : : Total points 26: Total KM 2751.8
    15 Sept '12: 1 point 162.0 km : : Total points 27: Total KM 2913.8
    21 Oct '12: 1 point 100.2 km : : Total points 28: Total KM 3014.0
    ... MCC completed (size 42) Batting Eyelashes Cool

  • New Forest sportive riders slammed by motorists for not riding single file1 year 25 weeks agonbrus wrote:It should be made

    nbrus wrote:
    It should be made an offence for cyclists not to move into single file when faster moving traffic approaches ... imagine coming round a bend, at a legal speed, only to be confronted by a pack of slow moving cyclists taking up the full width of the lane ... they are a danger to themselves and others. Even two abreast this is still not a safe way to ride on the public highway. Yes there are some idiot drivers out there too, but that doesn't mean we need to be idiots too.

    Exactly, drivers do their bit. BUT we need to do ours as well.

  • Head cover Or Not1 year 25 weeks agoRaleigh wrote:Just wear one

    Raleigh wrote:
    Just wear one and shut up.

    Here come Adolf's Cycle Core Me Thinks Cool

  • "This is no life!" Johny Schleck advises sons Fränk and Andy to quit cycling1 year 25 weeks agoIf I recall correctly I think

    If I recall correctly I think he also spent a lot of money on a "training plan" from Dr. Fuentes..... Yes please retire and make way for the new generation

  • New Forest sportive riders slammed by motorists for not riding single file1 year 25 weeks agoIt should be made an offence

    It should be made an offence for cyclists not to move into single file when faster moving traffic approaches ... imagine coming round a bend, at a legal speed, only to be confronted by a pack of slow moving cyclists taking up the full width of the lane ... they are a danger to themselves and others. Even two abreast this is still not a safe way to ride on the public highway. Yes there are some idiot drivers out there too, but that doesn't mean we need to be idiots too.

  • Go West: Brompton Dock opens at Bristol Temple Meads and Exeter St Davids stations1 year 25 weeks agoPS always worth asking if you

    PS always worth asking if you can do the hire as an annual salary sacrifice scheme, like the C2W but without the CCA, and HMRC setting the value of the bike at the end of the scheme.

  • Go West: Brompton Dock opens at Bristol Temple Meads and Exeter St Davids stations1 year 25 weeks agoFor the frequent rider you

    For the frequent rider you get a bike that you never need to service (it gets swapped when service or repair is due), you can put it off hire when you go on holiday and mix & match in many ways. The tariff is a back office detail generated by a computer program - initially there are 3 public tarifs, but already there is a special deal for staff & students at the University of Greenwich and no reason that other offers cannot be delivered.

    In Newcastle for example the Key Card for discounted local bus fares, also offers free membership of the car sharing scheme (Co-wheels) and the bike hire system (Scratchbikes) - SW Trains has similar smart cards and may offer a special deal for season ticket holders in this way.

    There may also be the option to 'buy' a year's lease in the same way you can buy a season ticket for rail or bus, with the company 'loan' scheme.

    With the computer-generated accounts the range of options is very wide, so if you have a big audience (employees, members of a university etc) there is always the option to negotiate a suitable tariff. One inner London employer for example estimates that for every employee who vacates a car park space, the employer saves £9000/year, so actually 'giving' a bike to an employee who vacates a parking space is a win-win for both sides.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoWords have come out of Mr

    Words have come out of Mr Thompson's mouth before really thinking about what he wants to convey...conveniently forgetting about the doping that occurs in Athletics. UCI does need to examine itself and find out why they failed to discover the "doping ring" within the peloton. Maybe they r too focused on saddle tilt and skin suit material?

  • Rabobank ends sponsorship of men's and women's pro teams1 year 25 weeks agoMaybe they just dont want

    Maybe they just dont want their name associated with drug taking ?

    It seems a logical step to take.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoKarbon Kev wrote:what a

    Karbon Kev wrote:
    what a stupid thing to say, it isn't anything to do with the olympics.
    Let's also ban the 100 metres cos of the Carl Lewis thing, grugs are in almost sport, thomson you fool.

    It is quite intelligent Karbon, it comes from a legislative point to you. He is not suggesting for one moment anything concrete just poking the fire on tentative proposals.
    Quiet smart really.Be my guest my friend you go for him before I do,,, Smile It is all productive discussing ideas and options.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoMy first point is that much

    My first point is that much of this storm has been created by things that happened in the Armstrong era. That is not to contend that doping is and sadly will forever be an issue in cycling. However, I note that The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) would consider holding a doping amnesty across all sports and I assume that would be linked to a truth and reconciliation commission across all sports. The implication is two fold.

    1. Doping is more serious an issue in other sports than perhaps we realise and that the cycling community with its particular blend of individual and team effort and ethics and a moral vigilante mentality (a good thing) is just more vulnerable to doping and exposure. Cycling looks harder for transgressors (both in the positive and omerta sense) and is harder on itself than say cross country skiing or football.

    2.That WADA are looking for a way to implement new rules for monitoring or sanctions or management or any combination of these. Depending on the nature of these a clearing of the decks might be needed. Certainly there are new challenges (there always will be) for the anti doping agencies. The challenge that instantly springs to mind is Gene doping which has been on WADAs radar for some time. I would suggest their guidance on genetic testing for selection purposes of athletes as an example of their concern.

    Daley Thompson makes some valid points, yet his solution has all the hallmarks of a knee jerk reaction. He might have chosen to contend that if no one is willing to dope then there would not be systems that support doping, a problem that first emerged in athletics if I remember. At the time I would imagine some were calling for the expulsion of curtain countries from the olympics , now we have some people calling for the expulsion of cycling. However, the issues of doping is more dynamic than that. Dopers create systems and systems create dopers and one sport influence another weather in or out of the olympic movement.

    Faced with a cheat a simple solution is tempting and on occasions called for. But in dealing with the persistent canker of doping anti doping agencies have to be as more sophisticated in their techniques and more subtle in their management than the cheats. They also have to hold to all the moral principles that the cheats have given up or believe do not apply to them. This is even more the case now than it was in the past.

  • "This is no life!" Johny Schleck advises sons Fränk and Andy to quit cycling1 year 25 weeks agoLets face it any GT race with

    Lets face it any GT race with TT in it isnt going to suit Andy cos he just isnt good enough at it.

    As for Frank, well if he is found not guilty he will forever have it hanging over his head - did he or didn't he - which wont be pleasant for him and will any future team take him on ?

    In my opinion Frank should take his dad's advice and pack in although i dont know about Andy.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoKarbon Kev wrote: Let's also

    Karbon Kev wrote:

    Let's also ban the 100 metres cos of the Carl Lewis thing, grugs are in almost sport, thomson you fool.

    Well said, clearly we are in the presence of a great rhetoric.

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agowhat a stupid thing to say,

    what a stupid thing to say, it isn't anything to do with the olympics.
    Let's also ban the 100 metres cos of the Carl Lewis thing, grugs are in almost sport, thomson you fool.

  • Are Rabobank using Lance as an excuse?1 year 25 weeks agoSimon E wrote:Seoige

    Simon E wrote:
    Seoige wrote:
    Remember cycling is not so much the winning but taking part.

    For you, maybe, but not for multi-million Euro sponsors, for teams, DS and riders. "Taking part" sees your dropped out of the WorldTour pretty sharpish. You might like to ask the ex-Euskaltel Basque riders about that.

    Lance is not the only guilty party in this whole sorry mess, as we will see presently.

    Well unfortunately that is the norm in any competition on a regular playing field. However, I do not see how your argument tacidly justifies the promotion and use of drugs to obtain an unfair advantage. Irrespective of the commercial considerations! Are we to teach our children that we should win at all costs even if it means decimating our bodies. There will always be pressure at the higher etchelons and lord knows it is tough enough to cope with as it is. When we start introducing performance enhancing drugs into the equation, does this justify reducing the longevity and beauty of life for the glory of the twilights years. I think hard work and long hours training should be sufficient enough .Many Olympians have proven such!!

  • New Forest sportive riders slammed by motorists for not riding single file1 year 25 weeks agoThe cyclists that insist on

    The cyclists that insist on riding 2 abreast on narrow lanes whilst having a nice chat and won't just move to let a single car passed piss me right off. It's selfish and unsafe.

    When I'm out riding I make a point of moving from riding 2 abreast as soon as I'm aware of a car behind. I also make a point of thanking patient driver, just a raise of the hand and a nod goes a very long way !

    I cycle around Lichfield, Tamworth and Derbyshire areas and it shocks me how many dickhead cyclists there are with no regard for drivers or their fellow cyclists. Most cyclists acknowledge each other with a hand, nod or a simple "morning mate" but more and more are just plain fecking ignorant to any kind of extended pleasantry ! These guys don't love cycling, no. These are SERIOUS CYCLISTS..............

    You know who you are guys. Assos, Pinarello, no helmet, designer glasses, on your way out when I've already done my morning miles !

    Knobbers................

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoSeoige: Re making the tests

    Seoige: Re making the tests more effective: The only thing that can really be done is to test more often. You'd have to test athletes much more often, e.g. at least weekly, but ideally twice daily (because, e.g. r-EPO can metabolise within 12 hours). However, this has significant practical problems.

    This USADA case has shown that analytical testing on its own is not sufficient to provide reasonably dope-free sport. Analytical testing alone catches only the most stupid and careless, allowing most of the dopers to claim "Never failed a test".

    What USADA has shown is that anti-doping efforts will need to consist of broad investigations. Investigations that make use of a wide-range of sources of evidence, from analytical, to testimony, to financial and communication records. Further, these investigations really need state-level powers of coercion behind them. Both to compel people to testify under oath, with the risk of perjury and gaol if the person lies, as well as to force the disclosure of evidence. E.g. much of the testimony came about because riders were forced to testify under oath, due to a criminal investigation. Much of the other evidence, the emails and payment records, came from criminal investigations, e.g. in Italy.

    Without these powers, the ADAs are pretty toothless. Limited to testimony and evidence which co-operative people in the sport are willing to provide. Pretty much only Italy and France are at all serious at a state-level about really tackling sports doping. The UK, USA and other countries (NL? AU?) don't really do this, unfortunately. Perhaps we need these countries to enforce health legislation more strictly - or bring in laws if needed.

    Also, how do the medical doctors get away with giving prescription drugs to athletes for non-medical reasons? Why are they never struck off by their professional bodies?

    tl;dr: Write to your political representative (MP, TD, MEP, MLA, etc) and ask that something is done about investigating doping in sport and enforcing health and prescription drug use/trafficking laws. Write to your medical licensing authority to ask them to enforce rules when it comes to dodgy doping doctors (ethics, prescription abuse, etc) - (e.g. the GMC in the UK).

  • Daley Thompson: Cycling should be banned from the Olympics in the light of Armstrong doping scandal1 year 25 weeks agoMorpheus00 wrote:I wouldn't

    Morpheus00 wrote:
    I wouldn't be throwing stones from the Athletics glass house if I were Thompson. I suppose it's got him his first few column inches in decades, which must be nice for him. I can't be mad at him though because there'll always be a special place in my heart for Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the C64...

    Totally agree, glass houses etc etc. Thinking