• Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoJohn Stevenson wrote:fretters

    John Stevenson wrote:
    fretters wrote:
    i remember the good old days when people were entitled to an opinion.

    I've never understood this position. If someone in a position that gives their comments visibility says something ill-informed, badly-researched and unsupported by logic, why should they not be called on it?

    If you're a public figure, you might be entitled to your opinion, but if you want that opinion to be respected, it had damn well better be reasoned, justifiable and supported by evidence. Otherwise - frankly - you deserve to be torn a new one.

    Turning your argument round that means there is no concrete evidence helmets DON'T help either. Yes there is research supporting both sides but nothing definitive. That being the case would you be happy to "be torn a new one" for suggesting helmets shouldn't be compulsory? Somehow I doubt it?

  • Sensa Giulia Ultegra Di21 year 12 weeks agoSounds like a pretty great

    Sounds like a pretty great deal on an Ultegra Di2 bike event if there are a few swaps that need to be made with the wheels and such

  • Mile End death cyclist named; another critical after coach crash1 year 12 weeks agoDont read anything into the

    Dont read anything into the "failure" to arrest. Following changes to legislation last year it is not strictly necessary in many cases, especially as here, the driver remained.

    I am trying to get into the habit of looking behind me at the drivers whenever i am waiting at a junction. Just so i know whats there. And they know i am there. On odd occasion have pulled further infront when larger vehicles just a little too close for comfort.

    Re the holborn accident i had a running, well cycling, row with a dutch (dutch!) coach driver on monday night coming through brixton into Herne hill. Driving like an idiot in and out of 2 lanes without indicating just using the sheer sise of the coach to effectively push or scare other road users out of the way. He claimed all english cyclists jump red lights as if that gave him carte blanch to drive so dangerously.

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agomad_scot_rider wrote:nod

    mad_scot_rider wrote:
    nod wrote:
    - How can reader of this website still think there's such a thing as 'road tax'? seriously?

    The last is easily answered at least - he's not a reader of the website normally, he's a single-issue troll who decided to go off on one and made himself look stupid

    Sounds reasonable!

  • Boris Johnson admits riding bike without rear light1 year 12 weeks agoOh the inhumanity of riding

    Oh the inhumanity of riding one time at night without a rear light. Yes, it is illegal and unsafe but do we all have to be so damn hard on each other? Cut someone some slack

  • Brian Cookson urges ex-dopers to talk - but denies Lance Armstrong link1 year 12 weeks agoI really hope the UCI's truth

    I really hope the UCI's truth and reconciliation committee gets moving. I don't want to have to hear throughout the entire pro season as more and more slowly leaks out. Let's get it done right and quickly

  • Giro update shoe range for 20141 year 12 weeks agomidschool wrote:Jones The

    midschool wrote:
    Jones The Steam wrote:
    Shame they choose to exclude those of us with larger feet!

    How big are your feet? Their shoes go up to 48, and they also do High Volume on top of that. I wouldn't consider sizing that broad to be excluding people with large feet. If anything they make shoes for people with very large feet indeed.

    Does the High Volume mean extra wide? I wear a 10.5 ~= 46, but usually I have an unwanted inch at the front.

  • Lightweight offer custom wheels for Christmas1 year 12 weeks agoMore like just a plain old

    More like just a plain old you can't afford them.

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agoBad news guys - I think our

    Bad news guys - I think our refusal to get off his roads has made Mr. Shoutie leave in a huff Wave

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agoAm I the only one who thinks

    Am I the only one who thinks using capitals is the web equivalent of green ink in reader's letters from olden times?

  • Mile End death cyclist named; another critical after coach crash1 year 12 weeks agoSounds like what could have

    Sounds like what could have happened with me about an hour later - fortunately truck driver was made to feel well aware of cyclists being present and not to be driven through.

    When you see some of the near crashes (and crashes) on CCTV/headcamit beggars belief that the claims "out of nowhere" hold any credibility

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoJohn Stevenson wrote:fretters

    John Stevenson wrote:
    fretters wrote:
    i remember the good old days when people were entitled to an opinion.

    I've never understood this position. If someone in a position that gives their comments visibility says something ill-informed, badly-researched and unsupported by logic, why should they not be called on it?

    If you're a public figure, you might be entitled to your opinion, but if you want that opinion to be respected, it had damn well better be reasoned, justifiable and supported by evidence. Otherwise - frankly - you deserve to be torn a new one.

    Your comment "deserve to be torn a new one" is exactly the point. Don't argue against their opinion in a reasoned fashioned, just rip into them like a pack of rabid dogs.... doesn't encourage genuine debate, just defensiveness (on both sides).

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoNobody is stopping anyone

    Nobody is stopping anyone from choosing to wear a helmet.

    However, if you choose compulsion, then you are forcing everyone else to wear one, regardless of whether they work or not, and that boils my p:ss

    You are forcing people to wear something where the evidence and science are massively mixed and show no significant reduction in deaths. In fact some studies claim compulsion increased injuries and deaths.

    Unless you've fully understood all the research and science how can you make a choice for compulsion, which affects everybody. Whereas if you choose to wear a helmet that choice affects only yourself.

    To do this as a large influential retailer and then place a
    "buy a helmet button" next to a scientifically dubious and misleading article is beyond a joke

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoLadders wrote:Can Wiggins

    Ladders wrote:
    Can Wiggins campaign to stop drivers knocking us over in cars, then we wouldn't need to wear helmets all the time.

    Wiggle could then write a blog about that.

    Personally, I wear one, but then I cycle on poorly maintained country lanes. I know a helmet won't stop me getting crushed under a car, but it would help me if I hit a pot hole at 20mph and pitched off (or into) the road...

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agotrucking cyclist wrote:YOU

    trucking cyclist wrote:
    YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE POINT,,,NONE OF THESE DEATHS ARE CAUSED BY ANYONE OVERTAKING OR CUTTING UP..

    Really? The one that we're talking about here, is one where the witness quoted says the truck drove into the back of him.

    trucking cyclist wrote:

    THE BUS LANE AT THAT POINT IS WIDE ENOUGH FOR 2 LORRIES...HE WAS A BLOODY MINDED FOOL PUTTING HIMSELF IN DANGER AS MANY CYCLISTS DO,,

    How is he in danger? You saw him clearly according to yourself. Could you please provide a more exact location for this bus-lane so that I may judge for myself if it is "wide enough for two lorries" and whether or not there is an intersection close after it. The last bit is interesting: taking the lane becomes more necessary when there are junctions shortly ahead where impatient/incompetent drivers will perform a hook turn... leading to the phenomenon of a cyclist getting squashed and then some fool ranting that cyclists should not be near traffic lights or junctions.

    Your bloody-minded fool sounds like a smart man to me.

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agotrucking cyclist wrote:menace

    trucking cyclist wrote:
    menace to society.

    You mean like this Truck driver?: http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01614/PETER_SUTCLIFFE_1614684...

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agozanf wrote:nod wrote:When

    zanf wrote:
    nod wrote:
    When you're in an ASL it's because the traffic has stopped at the lights. I don't think anybody would sit in an ASL while the traffic is fast moving. Perhaps that's where you're going wrong!

    Are you that dumb or think that being facetious is really clever?

    Go and look at ASL's and you'll see that despite being across the width of the road, cyclists still tend to stay on the lefthand side and in the gutter.

    Despite the design being that it gives cyclists a 'head start', it places them in front of faster moving traffic that as soon as the lights change, hurtle towards them. (motorbikes are especially guilty of this). They are a shit (non) solution to terrible junction design and there is a very good reason they are not used on mainland Europe.

    nod wrote:
    It's not victim blaming, it's not the 'them against us' you think it is. It's about been aware, using some common sense, taking responsibility for your safety and living to see another day.

    Go and read your original comment because its obvious you have a massive discrepancy between what goes on in your head and reality.

    Is your head just constantly replaying Mad Max? And I know what I said, and I stand by it.

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agotrucking cyclist wrote:.i had

    trucking cyclist wrote:
    .i had one man about the age of the chap killed on the mile end road,,come into my blindspot,

    See, this is the problem with large motorized vehicles: they have massive blindspots. Really, as we're speaking some home truths here, said vehicles should only be driven in a hyper-cautious manner. If not, then we end up with accidents.

    trucking cyclist wrote:

    i was alerted by sensors,lean on my cab,despite there being a green box in front and DESPITE THE VEHICLE SHOUTING AT HIM REPEATEDLY THAT THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT..WHEN I GOT OUT AND ASKED HIM WHAT HE WAS DOING HE TOOK OFF THROUGH THE RED LIGHT WITHOUT LOOKING.

    So you knew there was a cyclist there. He knew you knew, you knew he knew, it was a red-light... what's the problem? Apart from you screaming at him like a nutter?

    trucking cyclist wrote:

    Another man of the of a similar age on a BORIS BIKE decided that i should not be in the very wide bus lane at whitechapel despite me being there legally and moved to the centre of the bus lane after looking directly at me and held up all traffic.

    Which can be rephrased as "Another man of 52 years of age on a TIPPER LORRY decided that a cyclist should not be in the center of a magic bus lane which is wide enough for a TIPPER LORRY to pass a bicycle with a car's width. Despite the cyclist being there legally."

    Quote:

    STAY AWAY FROM TRUCKS....THEY ARE ONLY DANGEROUS IF YOU PUT YOURSELF IN A DANGEROUS POSITION.

    See, there's another problem... some of the people driving the trucks KEEP PUTTING OTHER ROAD USERS IN A DANGEROUS POSITION.

  • Third cyclist killed on London Cycle Superhighway, tipper lorry involved1 year 12 weeks agonod wrote:When you're in an

    nod wrote:
    When you're in an ASL it's because the traffic has stopped at the lights. I don't think anybody would sit in an ASL while the traffic is fast moving. Perhaps that's where you're going wrong!

    Are you that dumb or think that being facetious is really clever?

    Go and look at ASL's and you'll see that despite being across the width of the road, cyclists still tend to stay on the lefthand side and in the gutter.

    Despite the design being that it gives cyclists a 'head start', it places them in front of faster moving traffic that as soon as the lights change, hurtle towards them. (motorbikes are especially guilty of this). They are a shit (non) solution to terrible junction design and there is a very good reason they are not used on mainland Europe.

    nod wrote:
    It's not victim blaming, it's not the 'them against us' you think it is. It's about been aware, using some common sense, taking responsibility for your safety and living to see another day.

    Go and read your original comment because its obvious you have a massive discrepancy between what goes on in your head and reality.

  • Lightweight offer custom wheels for Christmas1 year 12 weeks ago"If you can read this"/"I've

    "If you can read this"/"I've wasted a fortune"

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoCan Wiggins campaign to stop

    Can Wiggins campaign to stop drivers knocking us over in cars, then we wouldn't need to wear helmets all the time.

    Wiggle could then write a blog about that.

  • Mile End death cyclist named; another critical after coach crash1 year 12 weeks ago"Police interviewed the

    "Police interviewed the driver under caution, but he was not arrested."

    WTF? I know I shouldn't be surprised given what we know of the police's attitude towards cyclists, but this is a new low.

    That's it. I'm just going to cycle around Richmond Park from now on and join the rapha-mamil clan.

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoJohn Stevenson

    John Stevenson wrote:
    southseabythesea wrote:
    You don't need data when you've seen a serious head injury of another cyclist,

    I'd say that's when you need data the most, to help you separate your own perfectly understandable emotional reaction from the reasoning necessary to come up with a lasting, sustainable, socially beneficial solution to the problem of cyclists getting killed or seriously injured on the roads.

    Well said.

  • Wiggle rides into Twitter storm over 'make helmets compulsory' blog1 year 12 weeks agoWibble.

    Wibble.

  • Boris Johnson admits riding bike without rear light1 year 12 weeks agoNo I think fair is fair.

    No I think fair is fair. Black cabbies are highly regulated. They have to have the knowledge, a specific and expensive vehicle, have no criminal record, be CRB checked regularly, have to display their photo id cab licence prominently plus a number for complaints. Their meters are checked and calibrated, their vehicles have to undergo enhanced MOT and roadworthiness tests. That's all done to protect the public so that you know that when you get into a black cab that the driver knows the quickest way to get to your destination, charges on the meter fairly, is insured, the vehicle is safe, and he hasn't got a string of criminal convictions.

    Putting myself in that position I would get annoyed with people taking paying passengers on rickshaws with none of those safeguards.

    I wouldn't ban rickshaws but I would make them conform to the protections above. Set prices, insurance, safety checks and drivers without criminal convictions with some kind of licence.

    Now that would be fair.