• FS: Genesis Equilibrium 54 cm £7501 year 7 weeks agoA handsome machine deserving

    A handsome machine deserving of a careful new owner. But how can you sell her? Mine is a year older, shiny red and mostly Campag' and it would be like flogging one of my grandchildren.

  • Shimano 105 goes 11-speed1 year 7 weeks agoWhile I realise there are

    While I realise there are some real reasons for these technical developments (at least for those hard-core cyclists for whom their own body isn't far-and-away the primary limiting factor for performance!) I nevertheless find the topic of increasing numbers of cogs always makes me think of this Onion article (once satire but since overtaken by reality).

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades,...

  • 105 Front brake calipers move out of line1 year 7 weeks agoA suggestion: if one of the

    A suggestion: if one of the pivot arms is experiencing greater friction than the other it will tend to drag the caliper as a whole out of line with repeated cycles of use. I'd suggest checking the operation of the caliper off the bike and if it's there's noticeably more friction on one arm than the other strip it down, lubricate it and see if that does the trick.

    Or use this as an excuse to upgrade of course!

  • Reynolds Assault SLG disc brake wheels1 year 7 weeks agoJust last week I got a pair

    Just last week I got a pair of Reynolds Stratos Pro disc wheels for my winter / wet weather bike. They're similar to these in that they have the same hub and spokes but with a 30mm deep alloy rim. They weigh exactly the same (1600g on my scales) as these carbon versions but cost about half as much. I don't think they have the swirl lip generator though.
    So far I've only done 100 miles on them but I'm quite impressed. They're half a pound lighter than my previous Hope / Open Pro combo, and despite having far fewer spokes don't feel any less stiff. Above 20mph their aero benefits are definitely noticeable, the bike fairly flies along now.
    I always dismantle any new components, partly to see how they go together in case I ever need to repair them but also to make sure things are properly greased etc. I can report that these hubs are very nicely made and easy to strip down with just a couple of allen keys, and the freehub uses 6 engagement pawls IIRC. However, in my opinion the bearings needed a bit more grease in them to cope with year round use in the UK.
    Overall I'm very pleased with them, they're just what I've been waiting for since I first built a road bike with disc brakes about three years ago. So save your money and buy the alloy version.

  • Help required. Sorry, another thread asking for opinions...1 year 7 weeks agoThe good news is that with

    The good news is that with Fyffes now being bought over by Chiquita, you shouldn't suffer from any compatibility issues when switching bananas now. Also, if you can hold off until the end of the evening I hear there will be price cuts on previous models.

  • Floppy wheels1 year 7 weeks agoMKultra wrote:ajmarshal1

    MKultra wrote:
    ajmarshal1 wrote:
    So half an inch of deflection is normal? And my radial laced 16 spoke front wheel should be noodly and fragile? 3000+ miles and no brake rub says different.

    There's a hell of a lot more to wheel stiffness than simple spoke count.

    No it's the build and the spoke count.

    The simple fact remains though that for certain applications a traditional build with a good quality rim and higher spoke count lends greater strength, especially so for a commuter, tourer or cross bike used as such.

    You also have to take into account rider weight and sprung weight on the bike which is an issue with low count wheels.

    But hey ho you go ahead you get arsey and take offence because you feel affronted by the idea that your flashy wheels are not the pinnacle of wheel technology to all men.

    Oh I'm not getting arsey, just pointing out the huge flaw in your argument. I note that you added the build contributes now in addition to spoke count and pattern, which is exact;y what I was saying. If you think half an inch of deflection is normal, then your standards are remarkably low. I'm simply going by my own experience of owning a number of wheelsets, factory and handmade. I have NEVER owned a wheel, Road or MTB that deflected that much, budget or high end.

    The fact remains that there is more to stiffness than simple spoke count, there are a multitude of contributing factors. Otherwise at a simple level, my Fulcrum 7s would be stiffer than my zeros, which they aren't. Likewise my Crossrides and Hopes, which are on a level playing field despite my Hopes being 32 spoke. This is all taken from riding them. I've ridden HED Carbon tubs laced 24 to 28 that had more flex than chinese carbon tubs that were 20 / 24.

    Mind, not that any of this helps the OP. Other than he has a really poor front wheel that needs looked at.

  • 105 Front brake calipers move out of line1 year 7 weeks agoThanks for all your

    Thanks for all your comments.

    Everything is correctly set up to specified torques (carbon forks), wheels seated properly etc.

    Yes, it has the toothed washer; are you just checking Chris75018, or is there a problem that you know of?

    The differential wear due to the different arm arcs is a good point, but this is happening in too short a time; it's not due to pad wear.

  • Brighton BikeHub wins cash to set up ‘banks’ for surplus bikes1 year 7 weeks agoNever heard of the scrap man

    Never heard of the scrap man thing. Every time I go to the recycling centre I see 5 or 6 bikes of various descriptions that have been dumped. In fact getting rid of my son's old school bike wasn't that easy. No-one wanted it either. I couldn't even give it away and that was in good nick.

    It's the same with tellies mind. We had a perfectly good Phillips 28" CRT. Couldn't even give that away. No bidders on ebay even at 99p and collect.

    Any scheme that helps recycle bikes is a good un.

  • Deep Breath Everyone1 year 7 weeks agoQuote:Let's just leave it

    Quote:
    Let's just leave it fellas and play the game.... it's obvious that it is a genuine mistake, so let's give them a break.

    northstar wrote:
    No it isn't : )

    This is really interesting Thinking You see, northie is right. It wasn't a mistake to put those riders in the break on your team. It was a very sneaky, 'opportunistic', 'aprovechado' way of getting more points in the competition... which required that you be very much aware that there was an opportunity to be taken which others who play the game might not even be aware of, which would net you points others couldn't possibly get unless they noticed the same system mistake you (!) did!

    Having the race deadline creep over to to when the race had already started and the breakaway established, that (!) was a mistake (!) Thinking

    But what shall remain a mystery is, what if an email had been sent out, announcing, 'The race deadline for tomorrow's stage has been mistakenly set for one hour after the stage start and the system will not allow a change at this moment. Please make your team selections accordingly', would northie have 'played accordingly' and not be complaining now? Thinking

    So, what is that bothers northie? Is it the fact that he didn't do it, too? The fact that he lost out on some points? The fact that those points gained by others will forever make him look, on paper, like a player of a lesser calibre than Gkam, Ray or Wig Billy, because they scored more points than him in one particular stage or in one competition and, therefore, maybe even in the whole season? Thinking Intriguing...

    Given his suggestions:

    northstar wrote:
    The posted transfer deadline was available to all way before, reset them to this

    northstar wrote:
    [have] all transfers involving riders who were in the break after the ride/race started removed?...

    northstar wrote:
    ... everyone else should receive the same amount of points as the person who profited the most.

    northstar wrote:
    ...something has to be done.

    it's kind of hard to decipher if it's just about the points.

    I can't imagine he's looking for an acknowledgement from Wig Billy, Gkam or Ray that they are in the wrong and they shouldn't have done what they did, because it was unfair to the others. Or is he?... Thinking

    There is, of course, a weird way to look at this. Could it be that what northie is saying is 'I want to be able to play this game with the knowledge that I don't have to be stuck in front of a computer or looking at my phone 1 hour before and after the race starts to make sure these opportunistic asses like Gkam, Ray or Wig Billy, don't take advantage of the system if there's another faux pax with the race deadline and they get to score more points than I do in my favorite game'?.

    And that, in a way, is a fair sentiment... Thinking

  • Dorking bike shop to the rescue after vital bike stolen from girl with painful illness1 year 7 weeks agopedalismo wrote:Fair point

    pedalismo wrote:
    Fair point but fatuous comment, my friend. In my opinion, it is the best bike shop. And cycling is nothing like a church.

    Head for the Hills is by far the best Bike shop in Dorking by a country mile any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

    However Chapeau to Max for what he did. He deserves praise for that deed. There's no need for the nonsense.

    and cycling is just like a church. Lots of people go for a short time on a Sunday . Some people think there's more to it than that.

  • Floppy wheels1 year 7 weeks agoajmarshal1 wrote:So half an

    ajmarshal1 wrote:
    So half an inch of deflection is normal? And my radial laced 16 spoke front wheel should be noodly and fragile? 3000+ miles and no brake rub says different.

    There's a hell of a lot more to wheel stiffness than simple spoke count.

    No it's the build and the spoke count.

    The simple fact remains though that for certain applications a traditional build with a good quality rim and higher spoke count lends greater strength, especially so for a commuter, tourer or cross bike used as such.

    You also have to take into account rider weight and sprung weight on the bike which is an issue with low count wheels.

    But hey ho you go ahead you get arsey and take offence because you feel affronted by the idea that your flashy wheels are not the pinnacle of wheel technology to all men.

  • Floppy wheels1 year 7 weeks agoSo half an inch of deflection

    So half an inch of deflection is normal? And my radial laced 16 spoke front wheel should be noodly and fragile? 3000+ miles and no brake rub says different.

    There's a hell of a lot more to wheel stiffness than simple spoke count.

  • Widow of cyclist killed by drink-driver says he should have been jailed for life1 year 7 weeks agojacknorell wrote:Why doesn't

    jacknorell wrote:
    Why doesn't leaving the scene mitigate the guilty plea?

    WTF does the guilty pleas ALWAYS count for so much more than all the aggravating circumstances!?

    because it saves the additional costs associated with preparing for a trial, as well as more court time and saves loved ones the additional stress and grief associated with waiting for and enduring a contested trial. It is and always has been the most significant mitigating factor in the vast majority of cases. So, assuming 1/3rd off for a timely guilty plea the starting point for sentence was about 11/12 years which on current guidance/authority is about right. He will be eligible for release after serving half the sentence but will remain on licence until the end of the sentence.

    Manslaughter? Definitely not...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10663783/One-punch-
    killers-receive-average-sentences-of-less-than-four-years.html

    Properly charged and appropriately sentenced on the law and guidelines. Would i like to see them changed upwards? yes.

  • Shimano 105 goes 11-speed1 year 7 weeks agoJoeinpoole wrote:How come

    Joeinpoole wrote:
    How come modern bike components are so much less reliable or at least last a fraction of the time of those from a couple of decades ago? I can only think that most bikes are sold/ridden as recreational 'toys' nowadays rather than the trusty means of transport that they once were. The obsession with saving weight appears to have trimmed components to the point where they have almost become 'disposable'. The strangest thing to me is that most cycling enthusiasts on this forum seem to welcome the idea of spending more money and more time with oily fingers replacing components than ever before. Hmmmph.

    The answer is long, but short.

    • People have more money than they used to.

    • Cycling has become a leisure pursuit rather than a need.

    • Leisure cyclists want the new new thing and can pay for it.

    • Many young adults have no training in manual skills, so can't do bike maintenance.

    • Making it easier and more attractive to upgrade than repair...

    • ...and the bike industry isn't complaining about that!

  • Floppy wheels1 year 7 weeks agoajmarshal1 wrote:MKultra

    ajmarshal1 wrote:
    MKultra wrote:
    All wheels flex as this is what gives them tensile strength, they need to do this or that would break, they would also be very uncomfortable if too rigid. If you want a bomb proof stronger wheel then you will have to up the spoke count and use a standard lacing pattern.

    Rubbish.

    Some of the stiffest wheels I own have 18 or 20 spokes at the front. The worst pair I have has 32 (budget crap thrown on a budget bike, granted). Half an inch is a LOT for any wheel. If that's normal I'd love to see how wide you set your brake calipers to avoid rub.

    Mavic Ksyrium SLS, Crossride for the MTB and Fulcrum Racing 0. Low spoke count - stiff - bombproof.

    It's not rubbish.

    Why not email Pete Matthews and tell him how wrong he is?

  • Floppy wheels1 year 7 weeks agoMKultra wrote:All wheels flex

    MKultra wrote:
    All wheels flex as this is what gives them tensile strength, they need to do this or that would break, they would also be very uncomfortable if too rigid. If you want a bomb proof stronger wheel then you will have to up the spoke count and use a standard lacing pattern.

    Rubbish.

    Some of the stiffest wheels I own have 18 or 20 spokes at the front. The worst pair I have has 32 (budget crap thrown on a budget bike, granted). Half an inch is a LOT for any wheel. If that's normal I'd love to see how wide you set your brake calipers to avoid rub. It's also very odd that the front wheel deflects more than the rear, it's normally the other way round.

    Mavic Ksyrium SLS, Crossride for the MTB and Fulcrum Racing 0. Low spoke count - stiff - bombproof.

  • Widow of cyclist killed by drink-driver says he should have been jailed for life1 year 7 weeks agojacknorell wrote:Why doesn't

    jacknorell wrote:
    Why doesn't leaving the scene mitigate the guilty plea?

    Because the law may excuse hot blood but not cold blood.

    It's why crime of passion will often result in a less severe sentence than a planned act.

  • Widow of cyclist killed by drink-driver says he should have been jailed for life1 year 7 weeks agoMKultra wrote:oldstrath

    MKultra wrote:
    oldstrath wrote:
    MKultra wrote:
    oldstrath wrote:
    Don't understand how this is not murder - if I killed someone with a knife while too pissed to know better would I be let off this lightly?

    At the very least he should lose the right drive, ever.

    Sadly as pre-meditation is not proven it's not murder. It should be manslaughter though rather than a "driving" offence IMHO.

    Legally I'm sure you're right. This is the bit I don't really get though - you get (very) drunk, then get into a car and deliberately drive it through a crowded city. You may not have intended to kill the specific person you actually killed, but you surely intended to harm people.

    Pre-meditation means a pre planned targeted killing of an individual or setting out with the intent kill the first person you come across for your own gratification or as part of a robbery (either or). This idiot convinced himself that he would not kill anyone even if he did. Murder was not the intent. Manslaughter fits, the trouble is getting a jury to convict as they always have the holy driving licence blinkers on.

    Remember to factor in recklessness, which can provide the necessary mens rea (per R vs Cunningham, and previously R vs Caldwell) but in this sort of case a charge of manslaughter is far more likely to succeed than one of murder.

    Doesn't mean a murder case would necessarily fail, more that the CPS will act in the public interest to secure the more likely conviction.

  • Widow of cyclist killed by drink-driver says he should have been jailed for life1 year 7 weeks agoGuy Collier wrote:MKultra

    Guy Collier wrote:
    MKultra wrote:
    oldstrath wrote:
    MKultra wrote:
    oldstrath wrote:
    Don't understand how this is not murder - if I killed someone with a knife while too pissed to know better would I be let off this lightly?

    At the very least he should lose the right drive, ever.

    Sadly as pre-meditation is not proven it's not murder. It should be manslaughter though rather than a "driving" offence IMHO.

    Legally I'm sure you're right. This is the bit I don't really get though - you get (very) drunk, then get into a car and deliberately drive it through a crowded city. You may not have intended to kill the specific person you actually killed, but you surely intended to harm people.

    Pre-meditation means a pre planned targeted killing of an individual or setting out with the intent kill the first person you come across for your own gratification or as part of a robbery (either or). This idiot convinced himself that he would not kill anyone even if he did. Murder was not the intent. Manslaughter fits, the trouble is getting a jury to convict as they always have the holy driving licence blinkers on.

    Remember to factor in recklessness, which can provide the necessary mens rea (per R vs Cunningham, and previously R vs Caldwell) but in this sort of case a charge of manslaughter is far more likely to succeed than one of murder.

    Doesn't mean a murder case would necessarily fail, more that the CPS will act in the public interest to secure the more likely conviction.

    A murder charge will nearly always fail.

    They never succeed in prosecuting/convicting the usual drunken night out one punch killers for murder so nailing a drunk driver for murder is a stretch to say the least.

  • Deep Breath Everyone1 year 7 weeks agoI'm gutted I missed this

    I'm gutted I missed this opportunity to cheat/accrue extra points. I lost sleep last night worrying abut the effect this might have on my status/position in my own league, in fact I shall have written on my tombstone "he missed out on the Volta 2014 breakaway stage 7, the idiot".
    Yes, this has life consuming importance. Don't let anyone tell you different.

  • TfL to trial optical & radar detection technology on buses to alert drivers to cyclists and pedestrians1 year 7 weeks agoMore nonsense it seems.

    More nonsense it seems.

  • Widow of cyclist killed by drink-driver says he should have been jailed for life1 year 7 weeks agoYep, hit and runs resulting

    Yep, hit and runs resulting in death should attract a mandatory lifetime ban. Easy implimented, easily understood. The thing is, with so many of us choosing not to drive, it's perfectly possible for an offender to adapt to a life without a car, even if the average Jaguar driving judge sees it differently.

  • UCI announces change of direction for Southern Hemisphere track racing1 year 7 weeks agoTOO Obvious! everyone know's

    TOO Obvious! everyone know's that Australia doesn't have any universities!

  • TfL to trial optical & radar detection technology on buses to alert drivers to cyclists and pedestrians1 year 7 weeks agoGood stuff - as much as

    Good stuff - as much as training people is nice, a single driver only has two eyes, close together, using a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Bring on the robots!

    As a side note, the ratio of KSIs to deaths for pedestrians and cyclists is interesting. 6% of seriously injured peds die vs 2% of seriously injured cyclists.

  • Tour of Britain full route announced1 year 7 weeks agoThe "Tour of England and

    The "Tour of England and Wales".