- Northamptonshire County Council consults on multimillion pound cycling strategy1 year 24 weeks agoGlad to see my home country
Glad to see my home country where I grew up is doing something. In many Northants town, like elsewhere, they went with the one way system, also known as Boy Racer Speedway. It's not so much as perceived as dangerous, it often actually is.
Back in the 80-90's I can only recall one bit of cycle lane in Wellingborough, where I used to cycle to work.
Hope cyclists and cycling businesses in the county can make sure the council don't forget about this.
- Another day, another shock for cycling: Bradley Wiggins dodgy haircut disaster...1 year 24 weeks agoIn Lancashire we’re not know
In Lancashire we’re not know for our hairs and graces.
- nearly first time roadie1 year 24 weeks agoi bought the btwin in its
i bought the btwin in its previous incarnation the sport 1. now the triban 3 has carbon forks, but pretty much the same. i lasted a couple of thousand miles on the wheels then upgraded to mavic open sports on tiagra hubs for £150. Done 8,000 miles in two years and cannot justify upgrading. did 135 miles a couple of sundays ago and other than that use it for the commute three days a week in all weathers. best value bike ever as is all the btwin cycle clothing. it doesnt get as much press as they dont advertise with any if the mags, but its a great bike. only expense is i get it properly serviced by lbs every six months which is worth every penny.
- Dutch cycling knowledge for UK1 year 24 weeks agoGkam84 - can't take time off
Gkam84 - can't take time off for the talk at Westminster. But I have got an invite for the London cycling event in the Dutch Embassy on the 18th. This will be work for me but I'll send you some info on it. I'll be curious what Norman Baker says. I'll be curious what TfL says given its less than sparkling record on addressing accident blackspots like the Bow roundabout or King's Cross, and with fatal results.
- Lance Armstrong - USADA produces "overwhelming" evidence1 year 24 weeks agoDarthshearer wrote:Stump, IDarthshearer wrote:
Stump, I have no love for Sky because they are supported by a man who thought it was ok to phone tap peoples phones.
They are always preeching they are whiter than white, holier than thou and now they are slowly up to their necks in it.
They fire Leinders and within 24h this hits the emails, coincidence?
Go put your Sky kit on and stand around posing with your Dogma, it wont be me who has my day spoilt, ill be laughing at Dave getting egg on his face at the "Transparcency" Team Sky have.
What a weird rationale. I experienced awful service and rude staff from Etihad airways once* - do you think I should blame Manchester City FC?
Clearly the Leinders thing has been going through the wash for a while, what link are you trying to form? Just saying "Coincidence?" makes you look like a conspiracy nut. Did the CIA orchestrate 911 as well?
They might well have made a rod for their own backs with a staunch anti-doping stance, but what would you prefer?
"Well, we'll try really hard to be anti-doping, but, you know, if the lads are shooting up in the hotel rooms behind our backs then you can't blame us gov!" Yeah, I'm sure you wouldn't be having a go at them for that instead. (along with the rest of us, to be fair)
Tell you what, rather than reach for the stars, maybe they just lower their sights a bit and be more British - gallant losers and that. That'll do.
PS. I have no Sky kit or a Dogma.
*Not true, just hypothetical
- Frame vs Groupset1 year 24 weeks agoMany thanks for all your
Many thanks for all your suggestions. Definitely going to give Canyon a look.
- nearly first time roadie1 year 24 weeks agoI have been looking into
I have been looking into buying a new winter bike and was also looking at the TDF at Halfords.
Looking at what is on offer for with the Charge Filter I am going to have a rethink .
I am please by work had put the C2W scheme on hold for the time being otherwise I would have ordered one by now .
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoI think what Fabian is saying
I think what Fabian is saying is that people who have been involved in organized doping in the past have no place in a current teams management. This seems to match the USADA reports findings and what ex dopers like Millar etc have said. The main problem is the bent management not the bent riders.
- Less a smoking gun, more a nuclear bomb: USADA publishes Lance Armstrong evidence in full1 year 24 weeks agoPaul, I agree with you in
Paul, I agree with you in principle. Doping seems like a crazy risk to take. Ditto most PEDs.
But "cheaters gonna cheat". Isn't it more practical to acknowledge that and explore tiers of tolerance for the sake of (relative) safety through transparency?
I really feel for the coaches and managers trying to inculcate a spirit of competition in the younger generation.
With every new scandal I find it increasingly more difficult to enjoy professional sports (olympics included) with any genuine passion, suspecting I'm the one getting played.
Perhaps the only way through this is to redouble the zero tolerance attitude. But I suspect that "Just Say No" will be as big a flop on the Tour as it is in the Town Centre.
- nearly first time roadie1 year 24 weeks ago12 months ago I bought a road
12 months ago I bought a road bike, I last had one about 45 years ago and had rarely cycled since.
Knowing nothing I went to Halfords and bought their most heavily discounted machine, a Carrera TdF at £260 and found it to be a miracle of lightness and speed compared with the bike I rode as a youth.
I've since read on forums like this that Halfords are rubbish and their products not worth looking at.
All I can say is that the bike has been 100% reliable and I've enjoyed riding it.
I guess the moral is, don't believe the hype.
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoFabian must be in a position
Fabian must be in a position financially to pay out the remaining year of his contract and if he signs with another team they will no doubt help out.
Or is it purely PR to try and distance himself from any allegations ???????????
- Judge wants to ban cyclists from some A-roads1 year 24 weeks agoMaybe a dangerous thing to
Maybe a dangerous thing to do, but what if we were to flip the argument on its head? What about banning HGVs from town centres? The Judge's arguments stand up just as well to this kind of action as removing more vunerable road users rom faster roads.
- Garage bike storage1 year 24 weeks agoDon't wish to cast a cloud
Don't wish to cast a cloud over this but I'm currently rethinking my bike security after two serious bike thefts in Shropshire in the last couple of weeks. One chap had his TT bike, 2 road bikes and a MTB nicked. The most recent haul was worth £17,000!
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoSeems to me that Spartacus
Seems to me that Spartacus doesn't need to worry about working with Bruyneel again, unless he's a big believer in reincarnation
- Less a smoking gun, more a nuclear bomb: USADA publishes Lance Armstrong evidence in full1 year 24 weeks agook, that was a bad joke about
ok, that was a bad joke about OxiClean (but their guy does look a lot like Lance), I doubt he'll ever have to give back so much that he ends up shilling soap.
Especially once the Costner film comes out.
- Shimano Flightdeck1 year 24 weeks agobig mick wrote:Shimano rule.big mick wrote:
Shimano rule. Why o Why do people still buy Campag/Sram really wake up!!!!!
I like the not taking hands off hoods to operate the computer.
For the record, the bike has a SRAM cassette and chain, FSA (soon to be SRAM Red) Chainset and Planet X brakes. It's only the shifters and mechs that are Shimano purely because of the Flightdeck.
Dave, Have I miss understood the piece. The computer can be programmed to change a selction of gears via touch screen?
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoYes, you raise a good point -
Yes, you raise a good point - the comment was largely in jest, with a dash of general frustration added. It is good to see Cancellara say he doesn't want to ride for Bruyneel anymore.
However I think given Bruyneels rep has been around a long time before this report anyone at RSN is unfortunately tainted by association in my mind now (given how persuasive he seems to have been at USP) - Schleck younger especially! Raises the question of why he was hired.
In fairness, reading through all the rider affidavits it's clear there's a lot of teams not coming out of it well(Astana/ Liquigas/ RSN, even CSC, Rabobank and Sky to a much lesser degree etc.)
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoSome savvy PR work from
Some savvy PR work from Cancellara there. He's basically saying to Becca, "if you want to keep me (the only guy on your team winning anything) happy then ditch Bruyneel".
It's no ultimatum but whatever the outcome of Bruyneel's case and whether or not he gets a ban I'd put money on him not being at RSNT next year.
- Orbea Orca bronze any good?1 year 24 weeks agoI can't comment on the
I can't comment on the Wilier, I know very little about them.
The Defy and Cannondale are excellent frames with masses of R&D in them. The Orbea is going to be similar quality, the geometry that will influence how it feels far more than the type of carbon etc (all brands make a big play of how different theirs is but in the end they're all trying to do the same thing at a price point).
TBH the're all great, you should buy the bike you like best.
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoBig difference between
Big difference between looking to negotiate your way out of contract and simply walking away from it though, which is what I was getting at
- Less a smoking gun, more a nuclear bomb: USADA publishes Lance Armstrong evidence in full1 year 24 weeks agoViro, No doping shouldn't
Viro, No doping shouldn't become accepted. Not just because of the spectacular risks (like bad transfusions) but because of the less visible, long term risks. Young athletes should not be faced with having to enter into incredibly damaging long-term use of substances that have significant side-effects even when used *properly* if they want a career in sport.
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoSimon_MacMichael wrote:SoSimon_MacMichael wrote:
So what was he supposed to do? Break his existing contract with Leopard SA when Bruyneel came on board?
Quite. And its known that Fabs had his lawyer try to get him out of his remaining contract so that he wouldnt have to ride for them next year - but the lawyer couldnt find a loophole and RSNT werent having any of it.
- Garage bike storage1 year 24 weeks agoB&Q do
B&Q do these:
Think they were £15 each or something. I have it drilled straight into the wall, you could just buy several and arrange as necessary.
- Updated: Johan Bruyneel leaves Radioshack Nissan Trek + L'Equipe floats theory he poisoned Franck Schleck1 year 24 weeks agoSo what was he supposed to
So what was he supposed to do? Break his existing contract with Leopard SA when Bruyneel came on board?
- Cake Stop Bike Locks1 year 24 weeks agoHA HA HA
HA HA HA