- Shane Sutton: A helmet saved my life - but it's still a personal choice1 year 22 weeks agoLet's just leave it there
Let's just leave it there shall we?
- British Cycling reacts angrily to proposals to increase HGV speed limit1 year 22 weeks agoCorrection Martin G - on a
Correction Martin G - on a typical 7.3m single carriageway road it is not possible for an HGV to safely overtake a cyclist with oncoming traffic.
- British Cycling reacts angrily to proposals to increase HGV speed limit1 year 22 weeks agoFor any vehicle to travel at
For any vehicle to travel at over 40mph on a basic 'old standards' 7.3m wide carriageway is so deangerous that in many areas the local councils impose a blanket 40mph speed limit. Given that the width of vehicle permitted to operate without a Special Traffic Order or STGO in set categories, is 2.55m and rear view mirrors extend perhaps 0.3m beyond that on either side, that leaves a miniscule clearance when 2 HGV's requiring a combined static envelope of 6.3 metres meet on a single carriageway road factor in the dynamic envelope and even at 40mph you have the 2 vehicles closing on each other at 80mph with a high probability of overlapping trajectories - pure insanity designed in, with the DfT proposing to raise this closing speed to up to 120mph!
My response to DfT consultation is that they should REDUCE the speed limits for other vehicles to 40mph so that all motorised traffic on a typical single carriageway road is travelling at the same speed. This would vastly improve the safety for all users travelling on rural roads.
There would then be conditions where a better road geometry and width have been provided by 'improvements' and a higher speed limit of 50mph or 60mph might be permitted
- Shane Sutton: A helmet saved my life - but it's still a personal choice1 year 22 weeks agoAnti-helmeteers can count
Anti-helmeteers can count themselves fortunate to be so bone-headed.
- British Cycling reacts angrily to proposals to increase HGV speed limit1 year 22 weeks agoNever mind just cyclists car
Never mind just cyclists car drivers should also be against this so why no comment from the AA , RAC etc?
- British Cycling reacts angrily to proposals to increase HGV speed limit1 year 22 weeks agoI submitted my response last
I submitted my response last week, we need to knock this on the head, we seem to be moving down a do what you like attitude with practically zero application of current regulation and proposals to water down those regulations. This is to my mind a political attitude of de-regulation and non enforcement across all walks of life which can only mean a poorer quality of life for the vulnerable.
- Winter Bib tights1 year 22 weeks agoAltura is a good bet. Mind,
Altura is a good bet. Mind, if he's a northerner, will he not be still in shorts only the 'southerners' opt for full length tights
- Shane Sutton: A helmet saved my life - but it's still a personal choice1 year 22 weeks agoQuote:Which I think is ratherQuote:
Which I think is rather prescriptive. Shane Sutton seems to be of the opinion that his helmet did reduce his injuries, and I would not disagree with him. I would certainly not try to diminish his comments as being merely "anecdotal". I too am pleased to see that he supports choice in helmet wearing. It seems that some are so worried about cycle helmets becoming compulsory that they try to deny that they are of any use at all.
- Tandem recumbent invention allows 87-year old to get back in the saddle1 year 22 weeks agoWhat a brilliant story, I
What a brilliant story, I love the fact that recumbents are now bring life back to a pleasure for so many. I saw this bike on the tinternet the other day, Posted by Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh
Here is the company that makes them
- NOW SOLD - Colnago 105 kit sloping geo equiv to 54cm traditional.1 year 22 weeks agoColnago now sold.
Colnago now sold.
Thanks for the interest.
- MY Chinarillo, ive been been upgrading.1 year 22 weeks agoWhat are the bearings like on
What are the bearings like on your wheels
- On the road Snacks1 year 22 weeks agothe_mikey wrote:Energy gelsthe_mikey wrote:
Energy gels are useful if you're riding hard for a long time, but they're not always pleasant.
True. Looks like Flapjacks are no. 1, followed by Malt loaf.
- Just In – Hope V-Twin1 year 22 weeks agoAll braking systems have
All braking systems have issues if improperly fitted, set-up and above all maintained.
In the aircraft industry they have used "hybrid" systems such as this for years, all the issues have been identified and with the correct installation and maintenance procedures they can be easily overcome.
The real issue about fitting hydraulic disc brake systems to road bikes and cyclocross bikes is going to be the overall weight of the system without any detrimental effect on braking efficiency.....now that is going to be the biggest issue to resolve and I can't wait to see how they do that!
- FS: Brand new but cheap wheels for cross or winter training bike1 year 22 weeks agoYep, the bike came with a 9
Yep, the bike came with a 9 speed cassette.
Please drop me an email to arrange everything - mark_greshonATyahoo.co.uk
- Team Rickshaw raise more than £1 million for BBC Children in Need1 year 22 weeks agoHats off to them, they rode
Hats off to them, they rode up a stonker of a hill on the way out of Bath
- Abuse of cyclists “almost like racial discrimination,” claims AA President1 year 22 weeks agoMercuryOne wrote:I agreeMercuryOne wrote:
I agree notfastenough. The trouble is that the government closed the department that dealt with public information films just over a year ago and it shows no signs of coming back.
We all used to laugh at some of the films but it's seems pretty obvious to me that instructional films need to be shown more often at cinemas and TV channels to show how cyclists and the road ahead should be negotiated safely.
Couldn't agree more !
Remomber the "Think Bike" ads ? Got the message across in my view. Something like that for cyclists would be a step in the right direction
- Christmas gifts for women cyclists1 year 22 weeks agoOoh, I quite like the idea of
Ooh, I quite like the idea of the bib-tights from Garmin
Her indoors doesn't ride a bike.
Just thought she might look nice in them !
- On the road Snacks1 year 22 weeks ago2 thick slices of malt-loaf,
2 thick slices of malt-loaf, spread one thickly with Peanut Butter and the other with any jam (but my home made Damson is best !) - cram together, wrap and enjoy on the road (I think the Yanks call it Peanut Butter Gello).
Does the trick for me !
- Just In – Hope V-Twin1 year 22 weeks agoQuote:You'll find thatQuote:
You'll find that hydraulic brakes with their very narrow gaps and temperamental o-rings will rub more often and more unpredictably and once the piston(s) get sticky you have a problem.
Funny after riding mtb for 13 years 11 of which with disks, I have never no never had a problem with the disks that wasn't user induced (wrapped rotor, bad maintenance and so on).
- Abuse of cyclists “almost like racial discrimination,” claims AA President1 year 22 weeks agoKudos for shoe-horning
Kudos for shoe-horning schrodingers cat onto a cycling site!
- FS: Brand new but cheap wheels for cross or winter training bike1 year 22 weeks agoIf they take a 9spd cassette
If they take a 9spd cassette which I'd assume they do, I'll have them.
- Gkam84 needs a trike to ride and help him deal with early Parkinson's - he's 28 FFS1 year 22 weeks agoI don't mind, as Tesco say,
I don't mind, as Tesco say, every little helps.
Tell your parents I am very grateful to them.
I'm not reluctant to publicise, just on places where people kinda of know me, I don't want to ask. That's why i've been tweeting larger companies and those with a few thousand followers. Get it spread out there in the public eye.
I know that it's just coming up to xmas and with the financial climate as it is, many people cannot donate, for that simple reason.
This site, unlike many, doesn't have an end date for raise money. So what I'm doing is leaving any money in my paypal account until such time's as I am able to afford a trike. If for any reason this never comes about or a company steps in to help me. Then the money will still be there and I think I can just press refund??
That way, everyone could have their money back
- Gkam84 needs a trike to ride and help him deal with early Parkinson's - he's 28 FFS1 year 22 weeks agoDone. I also tapped up my
Done. I also tapped up my parents for a tenner, which is included in the donation. They send their best wishes!
I would be a bit reluctant to publicise as well, but have no such inhibitions if it's not me. Therefore, I hope you don't mind that this morning I blatantly asked ice for a discount!
- Road.cc now with free user classifieds section1 year 22 weeks agoFS - 2010 Boardman Team
FS - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon size L - £750
The bike is in absolute mint condition ! It was used for weekends rides to complete my athletic training in the week. The bike was always stored in house and the only marks it has are on the left brake lever from a standing fall on traffic lights (didn't unclip my foot on time .
Selling with bottle cage, clip pedals and if wanted Shimano shoes size 10/44.
I bought the bike from Halfords in 08/2010 for £1199 and still hold the receipt at my name.
The bike can be viewed/collected in Northampton. For more information/pictures please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christmas gifts for women cyclists1 year 22 weeks agoPlease have your grammar
Please have your grammar proof checked:
Whether your skint or minted...
Whether you're skint or minted ..