• Anyone using Campag Centaur?1 year 7 weeks agoI've got centaur, it s great

    I've got centaur, it s great grupset especially the levers.

    However I have had issues with the bottom bracket creaking, I'd personally get another brand BB, that PT bottom bracket is a bloody nightmare.

  • What’s keeping Brits off the bike? In a word: fear, says new study1 year 7 weeks agoI live in rural France which

    I live in rural France which is the total opposite of your post, in the 4 years I have been riding over here (4 or 5 times a week) in that time I have had two incidents.

    One with an English driver! But he could have misunderstood the insane priority to the right rule over here not realising (forgot, didn't care) I actually had right of way from the minor road to his right (maybe).

    The other was with a BIG lorry passing me and the driver pulled right over to give me room it was just the suction caused by this humongous truck. Pulled me all over the place.

    Further I have just come back from a 3 day visit to the South East of England and the traffic is just bloody awful no way would I ride there.

    Strange thing is except for that one incident with the UK vehicle I have had no problems with other UK cars and the continental drivers always give plenty of room some have sat behind me on narrow roads for the best end of half a mile possibly more before overtaking when it was safe to do so, and no revving of engines, shouted obscenities or any of that other crap.

    But even with the situation over here I still ride defensively cause as you say the arse behind could be just that a total arse!!

  • Tour de France spectator Hubs?1 year 7 weeks agoTake a look at Stage 1 here

    Take a look at Stage 1 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CUEJ_EdaDI Should give you a few ideas about where to position yourself

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoKinda creepy that how you

    Kinda creepy that how you roll on a Sportive is gonna be sold on to some market research group.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agonotfastenough wrote:All true,

    notfastenough wrote:
    All true, but I bought a Trek because it was the right bike for me. Simple as that. There's a reason those guys sell a lot if bikes.

    +1

    Having some obscure brand of bike doesn't make you more of a cyclist...

  • TRP RG957 Deep Drop Brakes1 year 7 weeks agopastaman wrote: Re the bit

    pastaman wrote:

    Re the bit about not being able to run. R650's with Campag - I've got a pair hooked up to Old style Centaur levers and they work perfectly (much to my relief!) Big Grin

    Sssh! Don't tell everyone that everything works together if you know how, that's not what the manufacturers want you to think.

  • What’s keeping Brits off the bike? In a word: fear, says new study1 year 7 weeks agoLet's make no bones about it

    Let's make no bones about it - riding on the UK's roads is very scary!!! Even for very experienced riders, it pushes you to the limits - just to try to stay alive!!! Every ride I've had in the past 5 years or so has involved at least one near madness encounter. Sometimes more. You have to keep your wits about you - at all times - and expect that the driver behind you - or coming at you - will do something stupid. Frequently - they do!

    I don't know how you overcome that - even with "quiet" and isolated roads, or dedicated cycle paths - cos there's always a nutter on a bike there whose primary aim seems to be to scare the shit out of everyone else!

    My wife won't ride now. She is simply too scared. I mean jittery, unpleasantly scared. A danger to herself and to others too. It's a crying shame, but the roads have done that to her and to many others too.

    If the drivers don't care - and many don't - and the politicians do nothing to help - what chance has anyone got???

    Stay strong, keep safe, ride smart!!! And remember the arse behind you is likely to be just that!! A total arse. Applause

  • PCS1 year 7 weeks agoI've said as much as I'm

    I've said as much as I'm willing to say. You don't need to know everything about the works of the game Wink

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoThis fact tells you all you

    This fact tells you all you need to know about sportive riders. Ducks for cover.

  • Chinese Bikes1 year 7 weeks agoScoob_84 wrote:Can I

    Scoob_84 wrote:
    Can I seriously buy a Dogma frame for £320???

    Has anyone here bought something like this from this website and received the product as spec'd?

    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-design-2013-3K-Pinarello-Carbon-Frame-Road-DI2-Think2-full-carbon-frame-Orange-Black-Glossy/1619163612.html

    Well that's hopefully what someone here can answer. Truth be told. You'd think that it's crazy getting a dogma frame for so little. But as someone earlier in the comments said. They don't cost much to manufacture so some people have got the real deal.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoPretty much everything you

    Pretty much everything you buy is manufactured in the Far East and not by the brand or company selling them. Margins for manufacturing in volume are tiny (in volume less than 5 percent of the bill of material in electronics for example) and the real value is in the R&D or intellectual property associated with the design. Just because you don't make something doesn't mean it isn't any good, the manufacturing process is low value and moves depending upon the lowest cost base available to do this part of the process.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoI want to resurrect my Mum's

    I want to resurrect my Mum's old Macleans track bike, it's at least as old as me, but I reckon it's going to be really fast, super short wheelbase. I like a Holdsworth, when I can find one. My Dad's rides like it's possessed, amazing to ride.
    What about Koga Myata? I have a Dutch friend who does loads of road riding on his. Lovely looking bike.
    I'd imagine it's like most hobbies, most go for the obvious easy to get hold of stuff and a few like to shop around and get something special.
    You can pick up an amazing frame and build up something special, or get a bike off the shelf. It takes a certain type of person to shop around for something unique.

  • PCS1 year 7 weeks agoGkam84 wrote:... they tried

    Gkam84 wrote:
    ... they tried to charge a fortune...

    enrique wrote:
    I still don't understand what they were trying to charge a fortune for...

    Damn. I'm pretty dense. I still can't figure out what they were going to charge you for...

    And...

    Gkam84 wrote:
    Road.cc was going to tie in with the fantasy game...

    what does 'tie in' mean? I'm pretty dense. Sorry.

  • País Vasco Purist Competition1 year 7 weeks agoI love the small stage races

    I love the small stage races on Road.cc because they force you to plan transfers (unlike Classics) but they don't take 3 weeks of your soul like the Grand Tours. Not that I won't be spending many, many hours on here during all three GTs, because I most certainly will.

  • Podium Cafe VDS1 year 7 weeks agoEvery time I see Contador's

    Every time I see Contador's name on a stage race startlist and remember that he's not on my PCVDS team despite being so cheap, the "I've made a huge mistake" .gif plays in my head.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoAll true, but I bought a Trek

    All true, but I bought a Trek because it was the right bike for me. Simple as that. There's a reason those guys sell a lot if bikes.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agojoules1975 wrote:Sorry to be

    joules1975 wrote:
    Sorry to be pedantic, but Specialized don't make their bikes, Merida make them and stick the Specialized badges on.

    You can apply the same to most brands, and manufacturers in Taiwan/China, hardly a revelation.

    Specialized still put a hell of a lot of work into the bike though.

  • Do I need a Garmin?1 year 7 weeks agoNO …. but that isn't the real

    NO …. but that isn't the real Q. I don't need ti bikes and a steel tourer or a garmin edge or a fenix for kitesurfing / running. Do we really need anything but the N+1 rules applies.
    Plotaroute.com sounds interesting though ….

  • Drunk, speeding, hit and run van driver who killed cyclist sentenced to eight years in jail1 year 7 weeks ago8 years for manslaughter

    8 years for manslaughter seems fair to me. no sentence will bring the victim back.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoSorry to be pedantic, but

    Sorry to be pedantic, but Specialized don't make their bikes, Merida make them and stick the Specialized badges on.

  • 1 in 3 sportive riders are on Specialized, Trek or Giant, says research firm1 year 7 weeks agoThats the reason why I dont

    Thats the reason why I dont buy those three brands in the first place. "Everybody have them".

  • Do I need a Garmin?1 year 7 weeks agoI'm with Phil. I also use

    I'm with Phil. I also use justgoride.co.uk to create routes, and sometimes bikeroutetoaster.com to convert to tcx where you get the turn warnings. Its great for tuesday night chaingangs to keep you on the route if you get dropped, or saturday morning bimbles where you want to explore new areas. Theres always the option of 'return to start'. If you want maps built in, you need a 500/800. If you just want to be directed, a 200 is fantastic.

  • Do I need a Garmin?1 year 7 weeks agoi use a garmin edge 200 ( now

    i use a garmin edge 200 ( now about £90) and ridewithgps to map rides. it is easy once you work it out. write the map on the website. save as a tcx. upload into " new files" on the garmin. follow the arrow on your ride. the display also gives you warning of turns both audibly and visually ( although the beep can be late!), lets you know when you are off course and directs you back to the course, has a very small electronic compass indicating north, and divides your ride into 1/4s so you cab gauge your progress. i dont flick between screens, but you can analyse your ride afterwards- average speed etc, if you are interested in that sort of thing. battery life is good, enough for a whole days ride. display is visible in full sun. it comes with 2 mounts so you can swop between bikes. the only downside i have found is the garmin has a limited memory, meaning you cannot save multiple routes in it, eg if you were doing a trek/holiday. however, i would overcome this by taking a usb stick and cadging a pc connection overnight to charge the thing and put the new route on.

    i love this device. i have cycled all over cornwall, suffolk and norfolk using it.

  • Just In: Sublime Six C Aero1 year 7 weeks agothe colour is great, just a

    the colour is great, just a shame it isn't their own frame ...

  • TRP RG957 Deep Drop Brakes1 year 7 weeks agostuke wrote:honesty

    stuke wrote:
    honesty wrote:
    Ignoring pads, how do these compare to R650s? Time for a group test Smile

    I've ridden pretty much every deep drop brake available, be that on a test bike or through buying them myself and these RG957's are the best out there at the moment. The key is the stiffness of the caliper arms which means they brake the same as shorter reach standard road bikes.

    The R650's come close and are obviously cheaper but aren't an option if you're a Campag user Big Grin


    Re the bit about not being able to run. R650's with Campag - I've got a pair hooked up to Old style Centaur levers and they work perfectly (much to my relief!) Big Grin