- Saboteurs target New Forest sportive for second time this year1 year 10 weeks agoI'd love to hear if a farmer
I'd love to hear if a farmer has ever been proecurted for muddy roads, or indeed if anyone has ever seen anyone cleaning up after tractors. It seems to be one of these laws that exists but is "idle"...
- New Forum Look1 year 10 weeks agodrheaton wrote:... the olddrheaton wrote:
... the old charm is lost...enrique wrote:
Yeah... I kind of like the old one better... This scheme feels like the site is about clouds or it has something to do with dreaming or it's about angels or something ethereal with its pale blue sky look and its light blue font...
I just realized the new format is also on the site main page. Shows you how much I look at the main site, I guess. I hate to say this to people whose work I really admire, but, I think the site lost a little of its edginess with the new colors and layout... I feel bad admitting it 'cause I know criticism can hurt...
- Lack of activity a bigger health problem than smoking, says report1 year 10 weeks agoI have read undergraduate
I have read undergraduate essays with more real or new scientific content than this. Surely be sedentary and not smoking is better than sedentary and smoking? What about going for a nice walk and stop for a full english and a bucket of beer at the end?
There is no doubt that inactivity is a problem, so is smoking and drinking amongst others, but to put a report out in this manner is discussing, I could conclude that people that smoke are going to be generally more inactive because they dont have the lungs to get out (even though until a week ago i did)
You could draw a conclusion, that in general active people are healthier because they understand that a better diet or healthy lifestyle enables them to be more active.
More to the point you can conclude anything you like, but with a lack of actual scientific research, this means nothing
im sure we will never see this is a peer reviewed journal at any time soon
- New Forest pony maintenance cancelled due to cycle sportive1 year 10 weeks ago+1 for more regulation of
+1 for more regulation of sportives. Other than filling the pockets of the organisers I still don't really understand the point of them anyway.
- Saboteurs target New Forest sportive for second time this year1 year 10 weeks agoIt's not just this event that
It's not just this event that has been targeted.
I'm a local and often find myself joined by others participating in new forest sportives whilst out on training rides (the more the merrier as far as i'm concerned!).
Anyway during such a training ride my tyre popped instantly due to a tact, at the side of the road whilst changing my innertube a rather fat old gentlemen in a beaten up car pulled up and expressed his delight that 'it was working'....... Interestingly he looks like the guy of the nfcda website..... Karma will ultimately balance this out i'm sure.
It's a real pity local idiots decide to target such great events that actually help local businesses and community.
Anyway they are smart enough to leave all of their contact details, so if anyone has any complaints or opinions I would contact 02380 892283.
- New Forest pony maintenance cancelled due to cycle sportive1 year 10 weeks agoct wrote:The company is basedct wrote:
The company is based in Fordingbridge...as stated to me during the long journey in their van after my back gave out in Chepstow [or far outside of Cheptstow in actual fact]. Job vacancies on their site are based in Fordingbridge also...I was surprised myself to be honest.
Fordingbridge isn't in the New Forest either (although it's very close)
- Mark Cavendish and Peta Todd wed1 year 10 weeks agoI thought Cav might have made
I thought Cav might have made a show on this years X Factor!! Yes do not Google Image search Peta at work
- Badges for World TTT stage joint winners1 year 10 weeks agoDave Atkinson wrote:nah it'sDave Atkinson wrote:
nah it's full house you don't get for TTTs, i checked. this is just a glitch
So any idea when this will be fixed Dave?
- Notts Police fill cities with 'Capture Bicyles' warning thieves that they could end up with more than they bargained for1 year 10 weeks agoNice initiative but it'd be
Nice initiative but it'd be more fun if you could fit some kind of rocket-powered spike inside the seatpost and activate it after the bike had been nicked. Hanging's too good for them, etc....
- Saboteurs target New Forest sportive for second time this year1 year 10 weeks agoone road rendered impassable
one road rendered impassable amid claims that a farmer deposited a layer of mud an inch and a half thick on it
Farmers (and other vehicle operatives such as construction companies) are legally obliged to clear up after themselves and are potentially liable for a range of offences. While there is a range of powers available to the police and highways department the primary powers fall under the Highways Act 1980:
Section 148 of the Highways Act 1980 makes it an offence to deposit mud etc. on the highway that would interrupt other users of the highway.
Section 149 of the Highways Act 1980 gives the highways authority the power to clean the road and recover its expenses from the person causing the obstruction.
Section 161 Highways Act 1980 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence”. Contravention of sections 148 and 162 can lead to a Level 3 fine of £1000 in the magistrate’s court. Furthermore if mud on the road leads to personal injury, damage to property, or any loss or inconvenience then the person responsible may be liable for damages. A conviction in the criminal court may be relied on in a claim for damages.
- Greater Anglia trains plans bike ban1 year 10 weeks agoIf we were serious about
If we were serious about promoting cycling as a travel option in the UK we would have legislation stating that all of the train companies must make provision for cycles on all services at all times. Having the ability to make rules like this and leave them to the operating companies to deliver is a benefit of privitisation that we fail to take advantage of.
As someone who has commuted by bike/train in the past I have had my share of difficulties (different operating company I should add). In one job this was sufficient to make me switch to the car, although I still used my bike for the last part of the journey to save parking dollars.
- Saboteurs target New Forest sportive for second time this year1 year 10 weeks agoIf a farmer has allowed mud
If a farmer has allowed mud to remain on a public highway that is a criminal offence.
Highways Act 1980 Section 137 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”.
Highways Act 1980 Section 148 “If without lawful authority or excuse a person deposits anything whatsoever on a highway to the interruption of any user of the highway he is guilty of an offence”.
Highways Act 1980 Section 161 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence”.
- Eroica comes to Peak District in 20141 year 10 weeks ago£55 for 3 days camping for an
£55 for 3 days camping for an entire family in the Peak District in summer*? That's a bargain right there.
* assuming 'summer' means sunshine, warmth.
- Saboteurs target New Forest sportive for second time this year1 year 10 weeks ago65 animals dies in the Forest
65 animals dies in the Forest last year - all it by cars!
- Saboteurs target New Forest sportive for second time this year1 year 10 weeks agoThe Wiggle event was on this
The Wiggle event was on this same weekend last year with no Drift clash, and the Verderers changed their date to this weekend for this year - a blatant attempt to make the event look bad!
- Abolish VAT on bike lights, says petition1 year 10 weeks agoI've signed it but it will
I've signed it but it will end up the same as helmets. A reduction of VAT gives manufacturers/supplies the opportunity the increase RRP margins when launching latest products the following year and onwards. The advantage of a decrease in price will only be effective for a short period of time, on RRP prices already set.
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 10 weeks agoSomewhere north of Dunblane,
Somewhere north of Dunblane, not lost more exploring great way to spend a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.
- Mark Cavendish and Peta Todd wed1 year 10 weeks agoHow long before we see the
How long before we see the Cav on "strictly"?
- Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 10 weeks agoI liked it for you.
I liked it for you. pressure's off
- New Forest pony maintenance cancelled due to cycle sportive1 year 10 weeks agoSportives have grown very
Sportives have grown very fast and are in desperate need of regulation. It's crazy that anyone can organise one which sends any number of riders along a route on open roads and make a profit on it. This has groups of riders all over the route which can make it very inconvenient for other road users.
Think about the large amount of regulation there is for actual road races where the riders are all experienced and the only disruption is a group travelling all together at a fast speed along a long circuit of fairly quiet roads. Compare this to sportives which have different sized groups of riders all over a very long route, many of whom seem to think they're in a race but may have very little experience. Yet there doesn't seem to be much regulation about what is allowed and sportives have been organised that have caused road races to be cancelled.
Losing a large number sportives would not be such a huge loss, the ones like ride London have there place in promoting cycling but most just seem to be a publicity and profit making event seeking to corporatize cycing when anyone could ride the route of there own or with friends and clubmates anyway.
Although going by past reports the new forest residents are clearly anti-cycling. In this case they have a point, but can you make clear which was organised first the drift of sportive over a year ago? The best thing to do would be have riders come down to ride the new forest for free under their own steam rather than part of a corporate event.
- New Forest pony maintenance cancelled due to cycle sportive1 year 10 weeks agostuie78 wrote:Overtaking isstuie78 wrote:
Overtaking is fine, but on one of the more main roads I often saw groups running 3 or 4 abreast, and they were giving the poor motorists who were unnecessarily delayed dogs own abuse when they honked to remind them of the law of the road.
what law of the road would this be....
I'll give you a hint , you won't find one, because there isn't.
The relevant bit of the highway code for you.Quote:
keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
keep both feet on the pedals
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
not ride close behind another vehicle
not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.
Note the abscence of a MUST anywhere in that item.
- Pictures of your Bike1 year 10 weeks agoDobbsy wrote:Giant TCRDobbsy wrote:
Giant TCR Advanced SL 0
Dura-Ace Di2, Rotor 3d+ Cranks, QXL rings, Madfiber Wheels and some DIY reflective decals!
HOLY MUMMA!! PHWOAR!
- Sister of 21-year-old cyclist killed in London calls for cyclists to have training they are allowed onto the roads1 year 10 weeks ago"Legislation already exists
"Legislation already exists about motorists and road use".
Correct but as case after case has has proven, the legislation is not there to protect the most vulnerable. Justice is rarely done or seen to be done which is a huge failing. As a result there is close to zero deterrence (a vital component of a criminal justice system) to sloppy, impatient and intolerant driving which has been statistically established as the majority cause of cycling KSI's.
Until this above all else has changed, sadly KSI's will keep rising.
- Win a unique HOY Autumn edition bike with road.cc and Evans Cycles!1 year 10 weeks agoLeaving home I immediately
Leaving home I immediately hit this climb, peaking at 16% in places, hard work on legs that have not had a warm up.
- Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 10 weeks agoArrrghhh, feeling far too
Arrrghhh, feeling far too much pressure now with the 'Like' button! Generally really like the new set up, it's nice and fresh although the home page does all seem to blend into one... Maybe a different background?