- New Forest abandons rural 'Boris Bike' scheme18 hours 56 min agobikewithnoname wrote:I grewbikewithnoname wrote:
I grew up in the New Forest, cycled nearly every day and can honestly not remember a single incident of "locals" being anything other than considerate to cyclists.
Fast forward 15 years and when I go to visit my parents and go out for a ride I can guarantee you that on every ride some low life will be shouting out of thier car, or blasting thier horn at you. Something really has changed in the area, there appears to be genuine resentment of cyclists.
I rode on a charity bike ride from Cornwall to London going through the New Forest, the local behaviour was shameful, with abusive drivers and people in a local pub taunting riders. I was ashamed for them boozing away the week end while insulting people raising money for charity. I certainly would not go there for a holiday, which may make them happy, but is probably short sighted for the local economy.
- Cool reception for "hugely complicated" London segregated roundabout plan18 hours 58 min agoJust what cyclist need, more
Just what cyclist need, more traffic lights.
Stop wasting money and start requiring vehicles to have collision avoidance and mitigation tech.
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures19 hours 5 min agoSurface dressings are
Surface dressings are positively a hazard to all that ride and drive and to those that are in the vicinity of the chippings get thrown up.
They are a threat to the eyes of cyclists and cause paintwork damage.
They are a common cause of windscreen damage on both road vehicles and motorcycles and damaged paint finishes on cars and motor cycles.
The can & do cause damage to motorcyclists eyes,faces and to the visors on helmets.
They are also a potential source of loss of traction in country/rural lanes and when built up to mounds on bends they can be a source of total loss of traction and sliding.
The days of machine-brushing the surface to reduce the left-overs to a minimum are long-gone and of course it is not the local authority or the contractor that picks up the bill for the resultant damages.
- La Vuelta...19 hours 7 min agoOh boy, it starts tomorrow,
Oh boy, it starts tomorrow, and I'm still clueless... besides, just when the kid is finally asleep, the game is uploading... I bet the uploading is done in order to eliminate stage 1 from the game, to save me from my misery...
- Watteam to offer £300 PowerBeat powermeter + video19 hours 11 min agoThis could wipe the floor
This could wipe the floor with the competition. Not the best looking thing though.
I don't understand why the Chinese don't make power meters, they're good at that sort of thing, judging by all the electronics they make. They could sell them for £9.99!
- 20 of the hottest disc road bikes19 hours 17 min agoDiscs aren't just for the
Discs aren't just for the rain. If you do any sort of descending, you'll be amazed at the control and confidence that discs give you, wet or dry. I've got a fully-loaded Salsa Vaya with discs, and I can go deeper and faster into corners than my buds on their Madones and BMCs.
- Video: How to improve your position on the bike19 hours 23 min agodupe
- Reading Cycle Campaign slams ‘door zone’ cycle lanes19 hours 24 min agoLocal bbc news facebook page
Local bbc news facebook page has some proof that some motorists are aggressive https://www.facebook.com/BBCSouthToday/posts/690154384408488
Well done you. You all managed to mention a dead tax LMAO
- Cool reception for "hugely complicated" London segregated roundabout plan19 hours 24 min agoAll that ridiculous 8 way
All that ridiculous 8 way junction needs is bollards at every entrance to prevent access by motor traffic, simples.
- Quiz: which cycling brand are you?19 hours 24 min agoI got Castelli but my needs
I got Castelli but my needs are a little more Specialized
- Reading Cycle Campaign slams ‘door zone’ cycle lanes19 hours 25 min agoQuote:purely advisory
Aye. I get plenty of purely advisory tailgating and beeping when not using cycle lanes due to the car/taxi/skip/tree/road sign parked in them.
- Video: How to improve your position on the bike19 hours 37 min agoFor a start, there's 5 hand
For a start, there's 5 hand positions on a road bike, not 3. The hoods, the hooks, the drops, the tops, and the ramps/shoulders. This explains it well:
- USA Bro Challenge. Stage Four.19 hours 37 min agoGhedebrav wrote:cherrypickedGhedebrav wrote:cherrypicked wrote:Ghedebrav wrote:
Hmm, joint 7th on the stage, without Viviani! I'll take that.
So with intended transfers would your score ave been better or worse?
Probably about the same. Wanted to bring Busche in. Wouldn't have bothered with Viviani, he's let me down so many times!
Dux wins again, with a non-scorer too, but tbh honest he was lucky in a way his gamble paid off. Call it brave but I doubt he would have gone with that team had he been in the top 20 like me....however my team today is slightly brave
- Kinesis designer Dom Mason to launch new bike brand: Mason Progressive Cycles19 hours 42 min agoI too thought Dom was
I too thought Dom was Kinesis, too! His work has lead to many happy hours lost on Hampshire roads
I wish him well!
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures19 hours 42 min agoThe road I commute on by car
The road I commute on by car & cycle has been surface dressed 3 times now. Not once has it been done to any form of competence, nor does it get regular sweeps. What we do get is two well worn - smooth! - grooves on each side of the carriageway and a small mountain of stones elsewhere, usually most prominent at the kerbside. Which is nice.
Oddly enough the council never seem remotely interested.
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures19 hours 51 min agoNice to see a balanced
Nice to see a balanced informed view!
- Which energy drink?19 hours 59 min agoSeeing as I'm just old enough
Seeing as I'm just old enough for that Elivar stuff then I might give it a go. Looks like they've got a sample pack for a tenner without committing to a whole tub.
Chocolate and banana flapjack is working out alright for me so far, but I still need to "boost" it somehow. Will head up Holland & Barrett and see what they've got.
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures20 hours 12 min agoQuote:short term speedQuote:
short term speed restrictions
In all my years of driving, I have never ever seen temporary speed restrictions imposed on a road that has been surface dressed.
Those advisory speed signs that are usually used are not speed restrictions; it's no wonder drivers ignore signs that have no meaning in law.
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures20 hours 15 min agoP3t3 wrote:
It may beP3t3 wrote:
It may be inconvenient for a short while whilst the chippings are there but the alternative seems to be even more pothole patching and knackered road surfaces.
It's not inconvenient, it is downright dangerous.
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures20 hours 16 min agoI'm a biker as well as a
I'm a biker as well as a cyclist and the roads around Bristol are being treated in this way and it's a complete nightmare.
As others have said, when cycling you're often on the side of the road, where the loose chippings are - both sketchy to ride on and dangerous as our high-pressure tyres ping chippings in all directions.
On the motorbike, it's just as bad (And because I *really* don't want to drop my bike), but also to feel safe I want to slow right down on the recently surfaced sections. But I can't because I get hustled and bullied from van drivers and cars behind that don't understand how risky the surface is on two wheels
We shouldn't have to feel in danger on roads we need to use every day because of budget cuts!!
- How fast is a Categorised race(r)?20 hours 21 min agomtbtomo wrote:S_Lim - did youmtbtomo wrote:
S_Lim - did you not get the points to move up to 3rd cat? A win (10points)and a top ten (1 point minimum) could or would nearly be enough for 3rd cat (12 points) surely?
I'm under Cycling Ireland, and the points categorisation is slightly different. 8 for a win, and only top 6 get points. To be honest, I'm pretty strong, and if I carry half my points over (plus maintain the training over winter) I should be up in a few races
- Bigger field for 2015 RideLondon 100 to make it Europe's biggest sportive20 hours 21 min agoWould love an age grouping
Would love an age grouping listing for 2014! Is one available and does it separate men and women? Thanks!
- Bigger field for 2015 RideLondon 100 to make it Europe's biggest sportive20 hours 23 min agoBikeRadar.com produced an
BikeRadar.com produced an alphabetical list for 2013.
- Petition against surface dressing gets 10,000+ signatures20 hours 23 min agoAnother surface that I
Another surface that I particularly hate, especially when I'm on my motorcycle, are the small grooves and ridges left after the old surface has been "planed" off. If you are travelling at any speed (you usually don't get any warning you're about to hit this) they can drag you about in unexpected ways. Road under repair should be well signed, if not closed until the work is completed.
- Kinesis designer Dom Mason to launch new bike brand: Mason Progressive Cycles20 hours 23 min agoReally excited to see Dom
Really excited to see Dom branching out on his own.
One of the nice guys in cycling and a cracking designer as well - he encouraged me to self build my Crosslight Pro 6 and helped me out with all sorts of dumb rookie questions whilst I was doing so.
Wish him all the best for the new venture