- Video: Manchester cyclist rides through red light ... and into the side of a bus18 hours 10 min agoQuote: the cyclist startedQuote:
the cyclist started going through the lights while they changing, contrary to the Highway Code, which says red and amber “means ‘Stop’. Do not pass through or start until green shows.”
Somewhere there is a motorist who follows this bit of the highway code, but I'm not sure I've ever encountered the fellow.
[Cyclist in the (first) video does look like a kamikaze idiot, though, as ever, just think how much worse it would have been for whoever they hit had they done that while driving a motorised vehicle]
- Giro d'Italia stage 1418 hours 14 min agoJust moved in to the Top 10
Just moved in to the Top 10 in GC for the Giro
Knew I still had the legs...
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc18 hours 20 min agoNothing wrong with
Nothing wrong with progression, nothing wrong with disc brakes. I am somewhat bemused at the way people seem to have absorbed and regurgitated the internet take on discs and are almost frantic to suggest that they are the only option to consider.
As I keep saying, it's just a slightly different way of slowing a bike down, not a revolution. It does suggest that cycling is moving farther away from being a sport and is becoming a leisure activity for those with enough disposable income.
Technology will be used by the manufacturers to sell us the latest and bestest thing and people will lap it up without a second thought.
Anyway, Eurovision is on..
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc18 hours 21 min agofukawitribe wrote:PandAttackfukawitribe wrote:PandAttack wrote:
disc brakes tend to veer off to the left/right depending on which side the brakes on.
Funniest thing i've heard in a long time....
For the same reason, the next logical development in bike technology will be groupsets with a cassette and chain on both sides.
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc18 hours 22 min agoGiven the high price or good
Given the high price or good wheels, it has always felt incredibly perverse to then start wearing them down with the use of rims brakes.....if for no other reason bring on the disc brakes and then I will feel more comfortable with spending on spangly wheels
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc18 hours 25 min agoI crashed on my rim-brake
I crashed on my rim-brake equiped bike due to my slow reaction and spent two months in bed. After that I bought bike with hydro disc brakes and I can not be more satisfied. Reaction time is much better, they feel much safer on descents, and you really can not compare them on wet surface. And there is no need to clean rims any more.
- road.cc Metric Century Challenge 201518 hours 31 min ago25th Jan 102km 1 point
25th Jan 102km 1 point
14th Feb 123km 2 points
28th february 162km 3 points
8th March 101km 4 points
15th March 112km 5 points
29th March 142km 6 points
5th april 118km 7 points
26th april 145km 8 points
4th may 152km 9 points
23rd May 208km 11points
- Pavement cyclist faces charges and media backlash after hitting toddler in incident caught on CCTV18 hours 32 min agoIt's just the DM softening
It's just the DM softening the audience up ahead of their Better Infrastructure campaign.
- Matt Richardson rides 32km in an hour - on a Raleigh Chopper18 hours 32 min agoExcellence.
- Garmin Connect problem18 hours 38 min agoDaveyraveygravey wrote:NotDaveyraveygravey wrote:
Not had that message but Garmin Connect seems very reluctant to download the rides from my Garmin and put them up any more. I used to switch the pc on, connect the Garmin, make a cup of tea and by the time I got back the ride was up on GC and sent to Strava. Now I get some message saying I need to download Garmin Communicator, which I have had for years and always used to work perfectly, and even when I redownload and reinstall it, I get the same message. Turning the pc off and on again fixed it last time.
GarminCommunicator relies on something called NPAPI to be active in your browser. That is ancient technology and pretty much all browsers have discontinued support for it.
The answer is GarminExpress
- Mark Beaumont smashes Cairo to Cape Town record18 hours 39 min agoallgearnoidea wrote:hope heallgearnoidea wrote:
hope he makes a documentary of it like 'The Americas' which documented his trip from Alaska to Argentina!
If breaking the record was his priority then it is unlikely he would have had a film crew tagging along. Producing a documentary is pretty time-consuming. Generally speaking these 'travelogues' appear to generate about 3 minutes of edited footage per day on the road and much of that will often be pre-arranged meetings with 'interesting local people' or visits to unusual architecture along the route.
- Matt Richardson rides 32km in an hour - on a Raleigh Chopper18 hours 44 min agoDamn, forgot to pop down to
Damn, forgot to pop down to watch this, I'll blame my man-flu, almost cycled past the track on the way home while it was going on. I could match that on my road bike, bloody good going for a veteran on an old kid's bike!
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc18 hours 45 min agocrikey wrote:...and for thecrikey wrote:
...and for the hard of thinking, you do realise that you're being marketed to, right?
Disc brakes are not being developed as a favour, or as a philanthropic exercise, they are being developed so people will buy more stuff...
I believe it's commonly known as "progression"
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc18 hours 47 min agoNice bike!
- Video: Manchester cyclist rides through red light ... and into the side of a bus18 hours 53 min agoThe light goes amber at 8s he
The light goes amber at 8s he is some 20m behind the cab and it is about 5m from the lights and slowing. He doesn't cross the red lights until 14s. He had 5-6s to react to the changing lights but he didn't try to brake until he was in the junction. Even if the brake (singular?) failed there is no excuse for gunning the lights, either he chose to try to shoot them unwisely, or he failed to look at them (should know the route, or be riding more carefully if unfamiliar.)
- Pavement cyclist faces charges and media backlash after hitting toddler in incident caught on CCTV18 hours 58 min agoI await the Daily Flail
I await the Daily Flail headline "pedestrian mugs pensioner" or "the most callous pedestrian in Britain".
So, of course, we're not all judged collectively. How silly of me.
- Officer given written warning for decision not to prosecute driver who hit cyclist while on wrong side of road18 hours 59 min agoindeed to save a minute it
indeed to save a minute it has ruined many lives, 9 months, prob out in half the time ? that is not justice.
- Pavement cyclist faces charges and media backlash after hitting toddler in incident caught on CCTV18 hours 59 min agovelodinho wrote:
In thevelodinho wrote:
In the spirit of comments on here, reserved for vehicle drivers who injure cyclists and then disappear. "Lock him up and throw away the key"?
You know he handed himself in?
Sure, they should throw the book at him... after the drivers have been properly dealt with for seriously injuring pedestrians and cyclists.
- Video: Manchester cyclist rides through red light ... and into the side of a bus19 hours 43 sec agothis is why anyone who
this is why anyone who advocates cyclists ok to go through on red are fools
- Video: Manchester cyclist rides through red light ... and into the side of a bus19 hours 4 min agoMuppet!
- Bent derailleur hangar?19 hours 11 min agoLooks like from the picture
Looks like from the picture your hanger is not aligned.
Even if you buy a new one it might still need some kind of alignment to get perfect shifting especially for 11 gears these days.
I do mine and it is very easy and very rewarding to do and best of all you know you will get perfect shifting.
- Pinarello unveils Dogma F8 Disc19 hours 17 min agokev-s wrote:[...]
You have tokev-s wrote:
You have to ride a disc brake road bike in a hilly area and you will see what i mean
You'll also not be wearing out your rims on all that descending = less wheel rebuilding/replacement.
I'd love a disk-braked bike, but waiting to see how the QR/through axle & mounting system choices play out - bit too Betamax/VHS for me at present.
- Bent derailleur hangar?19 hours 18 min agoIf in doubt get a new one and
If in doubt get a new one and keep this one as a back up, so if the worse happens you have a temporary if wonky backup so you are not off the road waiting to get it fixed.
just make sure you check which one you need for your model.
- Bent derailleur hangar?19 hours 20 min agoGo get a hanger alignment
Go get a hanger alignment tool and align it.
Or take it to a mechanic. You can't tell if hanger is perfectly aligned or not from a picture.
- Video: Manchester cyclist rides through red light ... and into the side of a bus19 hours 24 min agoLooks like he has responded
Looks like he has responded on Youtube. From a Charlie BakerQuote:
It was me. Thought i'd just get the lights, hence the speed. Realised it wasn't happening, squeezed the front brake. Cable snapped. Not enough time to lose speed on back wheel in the wet.
The light is clearly on red before he passes the lane directions painted in the road.