- Have London's roads become more dangerous for cyclists? Statistical study says something has changed on London’s roads1 year 7 weeks agoI did a quick poisson
I did a quick poisson analysis a while ago, 6 deaths is indeed unlikely due to chance (as the article says, you expect clumpiness - if you had an average of one death a month, it would very rare to experience a year where exactly once cyclist died each month).
The paper seems, however, to assume death rate is constant throughout the year (can't tell this for sure, don't you just love academic paywallls? -but that's a rant for elsewhere). That seems a dodgy assumption - I'd be explicitly looking for a consistent spike just after the clocks have changed, for example - and the fact that overall deaths this year were within normal variance suggests this is not exceptional at all unless the rest of the year was exceptionally safe.
It was coincidence, probably in addition to a seasonal spike.
- UCI to meet WADA to discuss issue of clenbuterol contamination in China1 year 7 weeks agoJust heard a radio news
Just heard a radio news article that Walmart in China were selling 'Five Spice Donkey Meat'. Now, you might think that that was the story. Well, it wasn't. They were intending to sell Five Spice donkey meat (must be a demand) but it was found to be contaminated with FOX meat!!
If I was a pro, I don't think I'd be hurrying to race over there; how the hell would you ever be 100% sure of what you were eating?
- rh+ Thermo Duo Hat1 year 7 weeks agoYou can buy three of these
You can buy three of these for that price.
There's a great wind proof section at the forehead part of the cap. Just where the cold wind hits first.
- Chase the Sun - free ride - 200 miles, coast to coast1 year 7 weeks agoi'll be up for it if i'm
i'll be up for it if i'm mended though
- Chase the Sun - free ride - 200 miles, coast to coast1 year 7 weeks agobung it on the events
bung it on the events calendar if you haven't already done so...
- I'm thinking of fitting a bell1 year 7 weeks agoAh the lion bellworks ones, I
Ah the lion bellworks ones, I saw them a while ago and wanted one, great! Thanks for posting! To buy with my Christmas bike-pressie money (was simpler than specifying the exact items)
- Have London's roads become more dangerous for cyclists? Statistical study says something has changed on London’s roads1 year 7 weeks agoBreak it down by vehicle type
Break it down by vehicle type involved in KSI's and you will find a disproportionate statistical outlier.
- road.cc's 2014 Metric Century Challenge is go!1 year 7 weeks agoDepends on which resistance
Depends on which resistance setting your on (and what gear)
- Chase the Sun - free ride - 200 miles, coast to coast1 year 7 weeks agoHi all at road.cc, this is a
Hi all at road.cc, this is a small ride that is growing in numbers year-on-year, i've ridden it since 2008, its a great way to spend the longest day! Hope to see some of you there at sunrise?
- Have London's roads become more dangerous for cyclists? Statistical study says something has changed on London’s roads1 year 7 weeks agoPublished Nov13.
Add to this
Add to this chart a line showing the increase in the number of cyclists on London roads and you'll find the answer to the question posed in the headline is "No".
- The road.cc “Attaining A Higher State of Consciousness” Challenge 20141 year 7 weeks agoI've always wanted to go for
I've always wanted to go for a pee whilst still riding, got to figure out how the pro's manage that!
- 2014 Cycling Trends and Predictions1 year 7 weeks agoyeeearrrh!
BB gearboxes,tubeless tyres and hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes!
What is there not to look forward to?
- Cyclist who spent 30 minutes trapped under car after collision miraculously escapes with no injuries1 year 7 weeks agoBe interesting to know what
Be interesting to know what actually happened there, but I expect we'll never really know.
'The 47-year-old cyclist was dragged beneath the blue Chevrolet as he pulled out of a junction in Worthing, West Sussex. '
- Google and Apple in race to make cars 'the ultimate mobile device'1 year 7 weeks agoJust had another
Just had another thought...............Should this be added to the NCAP rating for the car? The more distracting the clutter, the lower the rating?
Who do I contact to get this considered as part of the assessment?
- 2014 WorldTour bikes: Belkin’s Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Infinito CV1 year 7 weeks agocolour scheme is acceptable
colour scheme is acceptable (just!)
unforgivable is the lack of campagnolo groupset!
shimano do not understand beauty and gracefull lines!
- Apply for grants totalling £20k to host Cambridge cycling activities around the Tour de France this summer1 year 7 weeks agoWould i qualify for a Grant
Would i qualify for a Grant to ride the Le Tour for the 17th consecutive year ?
Could use assistance in FINALLY seeing " Para Athletes " make this journey ! If they can walk to the South Pole , i am sure they are capable of a 100miles a day for a few weeks ?
Obviously they wsould need Supporters but the likes of @TTChamp ( Colin Lynch of Macclesfield ) would enjoy the challenge ?
- Have London's roads become more dangerous for cyclists? Statistical study says something has changed on London’s roads1 year 7 weeks agoI am glad they have
I am glad they have undertaken such an in depth analysis. Anecdotally there is a particular type of vehicle involved driven in a particular fashion that is disproportionately responsible for the deaths and yes I am pointing the finger at tipper trucks driven by impatient, inconsiderate time focused drivers. Deal with this category and you will significantly alter the statistical outcome.
Sure there is an element of cyclist training (not going up the left side of lorries) but this will require a total overhaul of infrastructure design which predominantly sends you up the left side of all traffic at junctions so the novice naturally assumes this is what should be done.
What is upsetting is that politically no one feels responsible enough to take simple obvious actions to prevent further needless loss of life on our roads.
- Condor Frame or "off the peg"?1 year 7 weeks agoThe Condor Acciaio is THE
The Condor Acciaio is THE nicest bike I've EVER ridden. I swapped full carbon for the feel of steel, and it's just plain lovely.
If money is important, don't buy a complete bike from Condor, as you'll be bankrupt. Buy frame and forks, then build yourself. If the money isn't a huge factor, the build is amazing, with IMMACULATE attention to detail.
- New Team Sky kit - would you wear it?1 year 7 weeks agopants wrote:I wonder if thispants wrote:
I wonder if this would put an end to people on bianchis cycling around in their team sky kit.
Nowt wrong with a Bianchi. Especially my Bianchi (b.1988).
I have a couple of bits of team kit, but it's all stuff bought on holiday eg bike shop logo'd jerseys from Italy or a Bouygues tel/ Vendee bought in the Vendee. Is that okay?
Surely they won't release that particular Sky outfit to the flabby masses though? The consequences don't bear thinking about.
- road.cc's 2014 Metric Century Challenge is go!1 year 7 weeks agoWow, would have to be
Wow, would have to be biblically bad weather for a month to see me do a 100km on a turbo in one sitting! Please let us know how you get on!
- Aprire Vincenza road bike1 year 7 weeks agoWhat's that thing for that
What's that thing for that sticks up at the back?
If I didn't know any better I would think it was a seat, but as the rider never sits on it, I must be wrong.
So come on, tell us what it is.
- Google and Apple in race to make cars 'the ultimate mobile device'1 year 7 weeks agoThis is a good example of
This is a good example of where businesses at large, and vehicle operators in particular are more concerned about peripheral things (profit making, Tweeting, etc) than concentrating on driving.
The "Presumed Liability" on the Government E-Petition website is designed to refocus operators' understanding of their responsibility when using hazardous vehicles. Please consider signing the petition and passing this message on to anyone (clubs, etc) who may be supportive.
Happy and Safe Cycling
- 1 in 10 London cycling deaths result in driver being jailed, says Evening Standard1 year 7 weeks ago1/ road safety charity
1/ road safety charity RoadSafe has previously told road.cc that it believes that drivers should be punished through longer driving bans, not custodial sentences.
2/ Typically, a custodial sentence is imposed when there is some aggravating factor such as the motorist not being insured, or being banned from driving at the time of the incident.
Roadunsafe obviously driving bans work
Also as I switched on, my first yahoo news story was about a banned driver in a 100mph+ chase endangering his own kids and partner let alone everybody else on the road the chase ended when he rlj'd and collided with another car and the fat so and so tried to run off.
- rh+ Thermo Duo Hat1 year 7 weeks agoI've just recently bought a
I've just recently bought a very similar speced skull cap from Dimex on EBay for £4.99. It is absolutely brilliant and washes up a treat. £26 for a skull cap strikes me as insane!
- Updated: Obree bike for sale on eBay1 year 7 weeks agoHaines' was interviewed for
Haines' was interviewed for Edward Pickering's excellent book 'Race Against Time' which details the rivalry between Boardman and Obree.
Haines was quite disgruntled at the way Obree treated him and said that he owned the bike and that it was his intention to sell it.