• Council slammed for “heavy handed” camping ban on Tour de France climb1 year 6 weeks agoI was driving part of the

    I was driving part of the route a couple of days ago and there are signs everywhere saying that your car will be towed if you park it there between the 1st and 6th of July.

    The train companies are saying not to bring your bike to the event and the local councils are promising to close the roads from 6:30 AM to 8:00PM on the day of the event.

    Obviously they don't want anyone to come and watch the damn thing.

    I remember Cornwall in 1999 when they said the whole world was turning up for the total solar eclipse, the county lost millions of pounds because they scared everybody off.

  • Partner of cyclist killed in Manchester nearly run over as she lay flowers at the scene1 year 6 weeks agoI offered a contrary opinion

    I offered a contrary opinion to that of lambasting the police on the strength of a couple of quotes in a very short newspaper report.
    I assume the reason news items have the option to comment is so that we can do just that?

  • Schwalbe One V-Guard tyres1 year 6 weeks agoI have Ultremo ZX's on my

    I have Ultremo ZX's on my best bike and have always run at max psi of 145, i was led to believe this is best as they run faster and are surely less likely to get a puncture if they are full! I havent noticed and harshness in the ride quality anyway.

  • Local councils granted £168m by government to fill potholes1 year 6 weeks agoIts a shame to have to spend

    Its a shame to have to spend so much money when all they had to do was use better quality surfaces in the first place! Good news they are being sorted though, getting abit tired of them all!

  • Are cracks appearing in the Walsh / Sky love affair?1 year 6 weeks agoI don't think Sky did

    I don't think Sky did anything wrong, it is the UCI who are up sh*t creek without a paddle regarding the TUE.

    The decision has to be made by a committee. It wasn't and WADA have told the UCI to get their house in order.

    The UCI are saying WADA "investigated" and cleared them, which is bullsh*t.

    Will be interesting to see how this one develops

  • Most parents would support a mandatory helmet law for children, claims surge - safety concerns are paramount1 year 6 weeks agostumps wrote: They were asked

    stumps wrote:

    They were asked a question, simple and they gave an answer..

    Stumps, have you stopped raping cats yet? Please tick yes or no. A simple question m'lud, yet the defendant refuses to answer it.

    Numpty.

  • Hewitt Cycles Cheviot SE touring bike1 year 6 weeks agoOtherwise classy-looking bike

    Otherwise classy-looking bike spoilt by really ugly lettering, IMO!

  • Video: Sir Dave Brailsford says Tour de France team selection "terrifically difficult"1 year 6 weeks agoMore like the constantly

    More like the constantly breaking news on Sky News, then...

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHarry_J wrote: I do not feel

    Harry_J wrote:

    I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

    Again, you're not making any sense. None. What is this sentence supposed to say, really? Do you even know what you mean?

    It tries stringing the following segments together:

    Harry_J wrote:

    I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents

    Harry_J wrote:

    if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it

    Harry_J wrote:

    especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

    And it fails horribly. Technically, this is an English sentence. But it makes no sense. Do they, or don't they take all possible steps? That's an either-or proposition - and yet in both cases they are responsible for getting wiped out? What?

    I think you're full of shite, you have no clue how to argue your point, and your actual point really is "get off my road, or it'll be your own fault if I run you over". Isn't it?

    Good job, "Harry" (Mark). Good job.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHarry_J wrote: Seriously,

    Harry_J wrote:

    Seriously, explaining things just gets boring.

    No kidding. Smile

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agosrchar wrote:So, what do you

    srchar wrote:
    So, what do you suggest I do, other than stop riding my bike entirely, that will allow me to shoulder the entire burden of responsibility for my own safety?

    OK, Harry_J... Read this statement, which is what I tried to say before. No, read it again, and again, and the text that went with it.

    Yes, we're 100% aware (at least on this thread) about exactly how it works.

    And again...

    The only way that we can cycle, is to hand over some of our safety into the hands of other road users. That's fine.

    It's the careless & homicidal we have issues with!

  • Updated: UCI rejects claims Chris Froome given preferential treatment to use corticosteroid1 year 6 weeks agodaddyELVIS wrote:[ I'm sure

    daddyELVIS wrote:
    [

    I'm sure I'd perform better with 40mg of that stuff in my system!


    [[[[[ Okay, but what would you be like on your bike?
    P.R.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agosrchar wrote:Harry_J

    srchar wrote:
    Harry_J wrote:
    the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders

    Nay, nay and thrice nay. I've commuted in central London by bike for ten years and I'm still here, which is pretty good evidence that I know how to cycle defensively. I've been had off three times and it's only because I've played quite a bit of contact sport and know how to take a fall that I've not been badly hurt. On precisely none of those three occasions did I contribute to the collision, other than by being there; one was a close overtake by a car pulling a wide trailer, one was a taxi doing a U-turn directly into me, and the most recent was a close overtake/dooring combo. There was nothing I could have done to avoid coming off, otherwise I'd have done it! There have been countless other near-misses that I have managed to narrowly avoid.

    I would LOVE to be able to take full responsibility for my safety on the road, because getting hit hurts and 33 is a tad young to be made into road pizza. So, what do you suggest I do, other than stop riding my bike entirely, that will allow me to shoulder the entire burden of responsibility for my own safety?

    Is there a horse in here or has it gone up Pompeii? Wink

    I agree i didn't put my point across perfectly in my comment to your earlier....
    Does this help?
    Once again (and it's sad that I have to keep saying this) It doesn't mean that car drivers should not be held responsible for what they do or don't do, but I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

    finally, serious question - I assume you were in earnest re your 355 ownership, is it a GTS, GTB or spider? and in all honesty do you know what was happening at Dunsfold today?
    If so then i believe we do know each other....

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHarry_J wrote:it appears that

    Harry_J wrote:
    it appears that the old mantra rings true...

    If you're the smartest person in a room................
    You're in the wrong room.


    You're certainly in the wrong room Smile

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHarry_J wrote:the burden of

    Harry_J wrote:
    the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders

    Nay, nay and thrice nay. I've commuted in central London by bike for ten years and I'm still here, which is pretty good evidence that I know how to cycle defensively. I've been had off three times and it's only because I've played quite a bit of contact sport and know how to take a fall that I've not been badly hurt. On precisely none of those three occasions did I contribute to the collision, other than by being there; one was a close overtake by a car pulling a wide trailer, one was a taxi doing a U-turn directly into me, and the most recent was a close overtake/dooring combo. There was nothing I could have done to avoid coming off, otherwise I'd have done it! There have been countless other near-misses that I have managed to narrowly avoid.

    I would LOVE to be able to take full responsibility for my safety on the road, because getting hit hurts and 33 is a tad young to be made into road pizza. So, what do you suggest I do, other than stop riding my bike entirely, that will allow me to shoulder the entire burden of responsibility for my own safety?

  • Local councils granted £168m by government to fill potholes1 year 6 weeks agoAt bloody last. Might mean I

    At bloody last. Might mean I can get out on the roadbike a bit more...ive started taking the mtb to work!

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoDid I swear at you? No i

    Did I swear at you?

    No i simply stated my opinion based on your conduct and ability to grasp basic English thus far....
    Oh and yes i am being somewhat passive aggressive in my patronising disparaging commentary.. It was my way of checking you were reading what i was typing....

    On part two, It's a joke.....

    Think about a nagging wife saying that to her husband....

    I apologise. It was silly of me to consider subtle humour was within your skill set. Seriously, explaining things just gets boring.

    it appears that the old mantra rings true...

    If you're the smartest person in a room................
    You're in the wrong room.

  • Partner of cyclist killed in Manchester nearly run over as she lay flowers at the scene1 year 6 weeks agoEebijeebi wrote: That is

    Eebijeebi wrote:

    That is purely personal speculation on what I have read.

    You were doing rather a lot of 'personal speculation' on the last story that was posted about this incident, much of it ill-informed.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHarry_J wrote: So, it's none

    Harry_J wrote:

    So, it's none of your business you petty and argumentative excuse for a human being - It would be appreciated if your keyboard warrior skills were pitted against someone who has a similar iq to you, I hear the teletubbies are returning perhaps that might be a good start?

    Applause Glad you managed to remain as calm and polite as you expect everyone else to be. Oh, wait ...

    Harry_J wrote:

    If i want your opinion in the future, I shall give it to you.

    Sense, this makes none.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agouserfriendly wrote:Harry_J

    userfriendly wrote:
    Harry_J wrote:
    oh and this is the email I got.....

    On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
    wrote:

    From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

    Message Body:
    I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
    http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

    --

    Oh look, I got an email too, just now:

    Harry_J wrote:

    On 22 Jun 2014, at 23:23, bozo wrote:

    From: bozo Subject: [your-subject]

    Message Body:
    Look at me, posting stuff into a text box on a website, surely this is totally authentic!

    --

    Ok, For this one I will bite......

    Perhaps where you are the world revolves around you....
    Perhaps you are so narcissistic that you think your opinion is the only one that actually matters?

    considering I was sent that email (but have decided not to put the email address it was sent from because I felt perhaps that would not be a nice thing to do) and i know that is the truth It will give me a real indication of the sort of people I am speaking to to find out if someone is willing to hold up their hand to sending it.

    If they do then I am happy to meet some human beings, if they decide not to then I sense I will need to go elsewhere for intellect coupled with honesty and integrity.

    Or in simple terms - it was not aimed at you, it was aimed at the person who sent the mail who clearly has had some interaction with this thread hence sending me the link.

    So, it's none of your business you petty and argumentative excuse for a human being - It would be appreciated if your keyboard warrior skills were pitted against someone who has a similar iq to you, I hear the teletubbies are returning perhaps that might be a good start?

    If i want your opinion in the future, I shall give it to you.

  • “Health & safety gone mad” – council orders removal of Tour de France bunting1 year 6 weeks agopique wrote:most lampposts

    pique wrote:
    most lampposts seem to be able to take the weight of several hanging baskets filled with earth and water. Can't see knitted bunting taking up that much water, so someone has done their sums wrong

    [[[[[ Yeah! 20,000 wet jerseys? Well, 20,000 tichy little plastic race-capes to go over 'em! Er...I'll get me coat now.
    P.R.

  • Partner of cyclist killed in Manchester nearly run over as she lay flowers at the scene1 year 6 weeks agoSimon_MacMichael

    Simon_MacMichael wrote:
    Eebijeebi wrote:
    Putting aside my cynical nature, I'd be interested to see what kind of 'civil action' this may be. Doesn't sound like a private prosecution so we're not talking 'justice' here we're talking money. I suspect this may be the the partner considering claiming 'damages' from the driver.
    I'll be surprised if it actually happens.

    A civil action wouldn't be a private prosecution by definition. And it's one that someone who has lost their legal partner because of someone else's alleged negligence is perfectly entitled to bring, and the insinuation it's all about "money" is a bit tasteless. And why would you be "surprised" if it happens? Negligence cases come before the civil courts all the time.

    Well maybe I don't follow the news enough and as civil partner I suppose there's the opportunity to claim for wrongful death however, the only redress can be financial one, so if it's not about money what can it be? If discussing a news item based on given details is 'tasteless' then indeed I'm guilty.
    As to whether, bearing in mind the circumstances of the accident i.e. apparent lack of witnesses, result of the police investigation, incorrect signage I'll still be surprised if it goes ahead. That is purely personal speculation on what I have read.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHarry_J wrote:oh and this is

    Harry_J wrote:
    oh and this is the email I got.....

    On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
    wrote:

    From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

    Message Body:
    I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
    http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

    --

    Oh look, I got an email too, just now:

    Harry_J wrote:

    On 22 Jun 2014, at 23:23, bozo wrote:

    From: bozo Subject: [your-subject]

    Message Body:
    Look at me, posting stuff into a text box on a website, surely this is totally authentic!

    --

  • Oxford and Bath relaunch their cycle hire schemes as they find new operators1 year 6 weeks agoSounds like an improvement on

    Sounds like an improvement on the previous Bath scheme.

    There were 4 stations IIRC. The longest distance between any two was walkable in 15 minutes and the pricing discouraged trying to get any further, such as a nice ride down the canal.

    Googling still comes up with Bath Narrowboats' private half/full day hire, which is much more useful than the old scheme was.

    I hope the new scheme is better and more successful, but I still worry that councils are concentrating on "trendy" schemes like this rather than improving the road network to make subjectively safe routes for cycling.

  • Most parents would support a mandatory helmet law for children, claims surge - safety concerns are paramount1 year 6 weeks agostumps wrote: They were asked

    stumps wrote:

    They were asked a question, simple and they gave an answer.

    Fine. So simply put, what was the wording of the question? And where can I find the survey data? Because I can't find the info on the frog website, and their twitter feed just points to the bikeradar article.

    If they'd had the decency to explain the details themselves then my pitchfork might have been shelved...

    And stumps, thanks for being honest that you want to use the law to force my kids to behave a certain way, despite a lack of evidence of any benefit to that behaviour, because you think I'm a "pretentious muppet". Nice.