• Operacion Puerto trial: Fuentes convicted, judge orders destruction of blood bags - will guilty athletes escape?1 year 12 weeks agoColin, the crime I am

    Colin, the crime I am referring to is the one of public health for which the blood bags/samples formed a central part of the evidence on which Fuentes was convicted. They cannot then destroy that evidence on which the case was successuly prosecuted if they are a responsible judiciary.

    The widescale doping (which I understand and agree is not historically prosecutable under Spanish law) is of course the bigger picture issue and it is clear the "greater national good" is being served by a scorched earth policy; there can be no other explanation for this draconian, unwarranted, unprecedented course of action.

    Can you imagine what would happen if this came to light? Scandals that would engulf at least one national government and international governing bodies such as FIFA, IOC, UCI (if there is anything left to engulf them) when world cups, Euro championships, tennis grand slams and olympic medals come into centre focus. Far easier (and no doubt commercially viable) to take the flak and abuse from burying it.

  • Wiggle Dragon Ride1 year 12 weeks agoI'm doing the Etape Cymru,

    I'm doing the Etape Cymru, don't know if any of the route overlaps. My friend has done it and said that the Horseshoe pass is everything that is to be hated in a hill.

    Nutrition, I get on with a combo of high5s a couple of b'nanas and some soreen on long rides. I think the high5 4:1 drink stuff is pretty good in my opinion (no idea if it provides any performance boost but as dave said, psychological)

    As a tip, the sachet's have some convenience over the bulk box of powder as you can take a couple out with you incase you get caught short on train rides, pop in a shop and grab a water bottle and mix it up Smile But I think its more cost friendly to buy bulk.

    As 'they' make sure you know what's going to be stocked on the feeds (I'd imagine it is high5 if it's a wiggle event) and train using that so you know you get on with it. I don't get along with the isotonic tablet things personally so I know for future ref

  • Torq release Raspberry Ripple flavour gel1 year 12 weeks agocrazy-legs wrote:Rhubarb &

    crazy-legs wrote:
    Rhubarb & Custard is the nicest gel ever.

    I was pleasantly surprised by its flavour, it has an enjoyable taste!

  • TfL and Transport Research Laboratory unveil Dutch-style roundabout and other cycling infrastructure1 year 12 weeks agoSTATO wrote:Its clear the

    STATO wrote:
    Its clear the 'cycle lane' has priority when going round the roundabout, the 'car lane' has stop lines on the exit.
    Quote:

    No they don't, the cycle lane has no priority at all, cars are not duty bound to stop for cyclists but this is not clear. New road designs should be intuitive for people who happen accross it for the first time, this just isn't. Until priority is clear this design is unsafe.

    They need to legalise the 'tiger' crossing (shared zebra) this would solve the problem.

  • Somerset Hills GF recon.1 year 12 weeks agoThanks for this - I'm only

    Thanks for this - I'm only doing the medio but still a bit concerned about crowcombe - it looks to be a real challenge. Really hoping I dont end up walking it. I'm fairly local so probably should have been over there for a look before the ride, but never mind, too late now! Weather forecast looks reasonable which is good news.

  • Have you wasted money on super light new wheels?1 year 12 weeks ago@notfastenough - That's a

    @notfastenough - That's a simple matter of handbuilt Vs factory. My 3 sets of handbuilt are rock solid, but all factory wheels I've owned have had lateral flex. Even Lightweights and Mad Fibers.

  • Operacion Puerto trial: Fuentes convicted, judge orders destruction of blood bags - will guilty athletes escape?1 year 12 weeks agoAmerican tifosi wrote:The

    American tifosi wrote:
    The drugs and cover-ups stretch around the globe and touch every high level sporting venue. Does no one remember the era of drugging in the Olympics ? As long as sports competition involves mankind, some will employ any means to gain an advantage. I believe if the truth ever comes out about the complicity of the UCI, WADA, testing labs, et al, professional cycling will disappear for many years. No sponsor will risk their company's reputation or fiscal bottom line to support a corrupt sport. The handwriting is on the wall, alas the die is cast. Devil

    Well lets look at the facts: Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis were the fastest men on earth. Both proven to have doped. Then along comes Maurice Greene and his Balco buddy Marion Jones. 100m record falls. And now we see the fastest man on earth. Doping never went away and the extent of it in pro sport is rife. Only just today Deco (former Chelsea player) has been tested positive for masking agents. It is germane today to say this as he is a former Barcelona player, whom may well have had an account with Fuentes. The major problem is the veil of secrets and requirements for proof. In a court of law the proof has to be of a high standard - but pharmaceuticals are rapidly changing and getting better and mimicking real hormones, and to be able to test the athletes you need to know what they are taking. It took almost have a decade for drug agencies to be aware of EPO abuse, and a little longer to test for it. The testing is always behind the curve.

  • TfL and Transport Research Laboratory unveil Dutch-style roundabout and other cycling infrastructure1 year 12 weeks agoOK. Slightly more info on the

    OK. Slightly more info on the bikebiz article:

    "As you'll see in the pictures, the junctions are thus far mimicking the Netherland's own designs, but will soon be updated with UK road markings and appropriate 'give way' signage."

    I would suggest that a bit of height and surface difference can go a long way in indicating who has the priority, or at least making people slow/stop to think about it.
    http://goo.gl/maps/wRbEB (I know that's a small quiet residential area, but I think the principle is transferable.

  • Video: British cyclist rear-ended by motorbike in California... amazingly, no bones broken...1 year 12 weeks agoAnimal wrote: Hear,

    Animal wrote:

    Hear, hear!

    This "accident" stuff is BOLLOCKS.

    The collision was a result of DECISIONS.

    People who fail to control Heavy Machinery in public places need to be deprived of the right to use said Heavy Machinery.

    Definition: An accident or mishap is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention or necessity. It usually implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.

    Sounds like an accident to me. Are you seriously saying anyone who has a car accident should be deprived of their driving licence? Yes, the motorcyclist messed up and should be charged if he broke the law but unless you are perfect in every way I think we should stop throwing stones. I'd say that direct road rage/aggression against cyclists that I see every day in London is much worse than this.

  • Giro D' Italia Roster1 year 12 weeks agoWith FDJ having Demare and

    With FDJ having Demare and Bouhanni I think Bouhanni has to take this chance to prove himself and he is a strong sprinter, I wouldn't count him out of the tougher finishes. Plus, with the way the scores are weighted towards the top places it may be that Bouhanni would score more in 5 stages than Degenkolb would in 7.

    Anyway, I won't be picking either for my purist team Big Grin

  • Operacion Puerto trial: Fuentes convicted, judge orders destruction of blood bags - will guilty athletes escape?1 year 12 weeks agoRTB wrote:Colin Peyresourde

    RTB wrote:
    Colin Peyresourde wrote:
    Actually I think that the reason the blood bags are to be destroyed is that at the time it was not illegal in Spain to dope etc. And so you cannot keep evidence where no crime was committed, so she is right in doing that.

    Not really Colin. Couple of points:

    1. Guilt as a result of a crime has been established and this is/was prima facie evidence so any justice of any standing (and the Spanish justice looks quite horizontal after this judgement) would protect that evidence in perpituity for legal record. The fact that the evidence is ordered to not be destroyed until after any appeals process is exhausted substantiates this. This destruction order, except in the case of national security, must be unprecedented in a western European democracy.

    2. The reach of fraudulent gains achieved in international events (across all sports) as a direct result of these practices makes this evidence (or at least the samples) material for any international proceedings that could be brought so it is the duty of a responsible justice to protect such evidence not destroy it which is the behaviour you might expect from a corrupt dictatorship.

    Bottom line the only plausible motivation to destroy this evidence is to make it go away for ever to protect the reputations of people in positions of power. It is dirty, appalling and undemocratic.

    Actually, if you want to get factual. The crime in question is one of public health. Nothing to do with sport. There was nothing illegal in Spain at that time about what the athletes were doing. The 'fraud' would then have to show that the athletes won something while cheating. Without knowing who they are and what they won I'm not sure this can be shown - you might even require a positive competition test to show this (although I know this sounds ludicrous).
    I understand that judicially that police can only hold evidence where a crime has been committed. So unless you know of the exact crime it is they can't hold the evidence (bearing in mind that Spain does not have law against doping). Current privacy laws in the EU prevent information from being held without cause so although we know that the blood bags proves doping (not a Spanish crime in law), it does not prove a crime has been committed in Spain. Frustrating but true.

    I'm not saying that this isn't expedient (for the Spanish government) nor that it is right (morally), but you have to have a process in law for the evidence to be kept. The same process which allowed athletes to dope with impunity in Spain also protects them here. It's whether a good legal case can be made as to whether this can be challenged. This is where the Spanish government can make a precedent and open things up. So it's not as cut and dried as you make out. A judge cannot make an arbitrary decision that they are not legally required to do either, so it is not as if the judge is just being corrupt. Any appeal would see to that.

    The problem for WADA and the anti-doping agencies is that there does not appear to be easy grounds for the appeal. If there were the legal process could be kept open. Again, I'm not saying this is morally right, but merely this issues underlying this. There was a great article on this somewhere and if I could find it I would link it. It is certainly not as cut and dried as you are making out (and the over simplification by the press also is not helping).

    It is a crying shame if more does not come of this though.

  • TfL and Transport Research Laboratory unveil Dutch-style roundabout and other cycling infrastructure1 year 12 weeks agoJust driven back from

    Just driven back from Holland. Spent a week driving and cycling. These posts raise good points: It requires a culture change initiated by the driving test and Highway Code but current drivers are unlikely to get used to allowing cyclists right of way at junctions of any kind, as happens in Holland. I couldn't get used to it on a bike over there.
    And the roundabouts I remember were all smaller than many of ours.

  • Giro D' Italia Roster1 year 12 weeks agoGhedebrav, are you asking

    Ghedebrav, are you asking about your purist team or for Stage 1.

    I would pick Bouhanni over Degenkolb for stage 1 as he seems to have the better form so far this season.

    But if you're looking for a sprinter for a purist Degenkolb will probably feature in the tougher finishes as well as the completely flat ones so would be a good pick. Also, it's possible that Bouhanni may not finish. He may quit before the mountains to focus on the Tour de France

  • Video: British cyclist rear-ended by motorbike in California... amazingly, no bones broken...1 year 12 weeks agoThat guy must be so glad he

    That guy must be so glad he was wearing a helmet or his brain would be a smoothie. I don't care what you say, but if you look at the slow-mo the helmet certainly takes and disperses some Newtons!

    I don't want to get shot, but I do feel a bit bad for the Ducati rider. Yes, he should have been a lot more cautious, but I am sure he didn't wake up in the morning wanting to ram a few cyclists. Respect is a two way street, lads.

    And for those who say its not an accident? I don't know, I have never ridden a motorbike, but I have heard target-fixation is quite common in MotoGP, and those are professionals.

  • TfL and Transport Research Laboratory unveil Dutch-style roundabout and other cycling infrastructure1 year 12 weeks ago"discussing issues including

    "discussing issues including stricter enforcement of cycle lanes and advanced stop lines"

    That suggests that there is actually some enforcement of cycle lanes and ASLs. In my experience the ASLs are completely ignored and cycle lanes (with solid white lines) regularly ignored. I often have to ride around police cars parked in the cycle lane in rush hour on my way back from work.

  • Torq release Raspberry Ripple flavour gel1 year 12 weeks agoRhubarb & Custard is the

    Rhubarb & Custard is the nicest gel ever. In fact, Torq stuff generally is really nice, better than most other stuff out there.

  • Torq release Raspberry Ripple flavour gel1 year 12 weeks agoThanks for your constructive

    Thanks for your constructive comment Kev.

    Just to counter it, I have not met a gel yet wich makes me retch. Wink

  • Torq release Raspberry Ripple flavour gel1 year 12 weeks agokevtufc wrote:I've not met a

    kevtufc wrote:
    I've not met a gel yet which doesn't make me retch Sick

    Have you tried Torq's yoghurt gels yet? Find them inoffensive to the taste buds

  • Video: British cyclist rear-ended by motorbike in California... amazingly, no bones broken...1 year 12 weeks agopepita1 wrote:I've been

    pepita1 wrote:
    I've been replaying the video with morbid curiosity. Looking at how the first cyclist went up and over and trying to figure out how I was hurt when a drunk driver crashed into myself and another cyclist. In my case, I was the second cyclist. I have never been sure if I was hit by the truck or by the other cyclist's body and bike being propelled into me. Watching this video makes me think that it wasn't the latter. But, my crash was with American pickup truck and not a motor bike so lots of fender and grill to push forward.

    Crikey, that sounds rough. Is that why your sig refers to you riding 'again' - due to time off for injury?

  • TfL and Transport Research Laboratory unveil Dutch-style roundabout and other cycling infrastructure1 year 12 weeks agoDefine "shortcuts", If you

    Define "shortcuts", If you mean using the road, let's no go there huh ; )

  • Video: British cyclist rear-ended by motorbike in California... amazingly, no bones broken...1 year 12 weeks agoKiwiMike wrote: ...not sure

    KiwiMike wrote:

    ...not sure why you are saying it's an 'accident'? What about this was 'accidental' - his twisting of the throttle or turning of the handlebar?

    Hear, hear!

    This "accident" stuff is BOLLOCKS.

    The collision was a result of DECISIONS.

    People who fail to control Heavy Machinery in public places need to be deprived of the right to use said Heavy Machinery.

  • Torq release Raspberry Ripple flavour gel1 year 12 weeks agoI've not met a gel yet which

    I've not met a gel yet which doesn't make me retch Sick

  • Is it rude to draft people on the open road?1 year 12 weeks agoIt would be if I thought he

    It would be if I thought he was joking.

  • Wiggins and Froome clash over Tour de France leadership1 year 12 weeks agoSurely the aim is to repeat

    Surely the aim is to repeat last year's success, two British riders on the podium? Any talk of rivalry between Froome and Wiggins is just more publicity for the team.

    One day we might have three British riders on the podium!

  • Giro D' Italia Roster1 year 12 weeks agoAnyone have any thoughts on

    Anyone have any thoughts on how Bouhanni might get on? Torn between him and Degenkolb at the mo.