- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoLow scoring day! Ulissi for
Low scoring day! Ulissi for Aru won't make much difference.
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoNo it's Battaglin!
No it's Battaglin!
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoCataldo will win.
Cataldo will win.
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoBest for me is if Lampre
Best for me is if Lampre wins!
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoGood old Gorka! Helped me win
Good old Gorka! Helped me win my Bryton Rider 40!
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoLooks like I shouldn't have
Looks like I shouldn't have swapped Aru for Ulissi.
- South Oz police threaten to fine unhelmetted riders on anti-compulsion protest ride1 year 6 weeks agoDoes Professor Atkinson have
Does Professor Atkinson have a figure for how many lives would be saved due to fewer cases of medical negligence if doctors concentrated more on what the patients in front of them were telling them rather than on what kind of hat the people cycling past the office window are wearing?
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoCome on Hesjedal!!! (Got
Come on Hesjedal!!! (Got money on him for podium at 66-1)
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoHesjedal and Rolland out
Hesjedal and Rolland out there as I expected. They are the favourites now as Timmer is no climber. Does he have enough time?
- Bike Service - What would you expect to go wrong after 1700 miles?1 year 6 weeks agoAlan Tullett wrote: but nowAlan Tullett wrote:
but now I've got a tool for the cassette because my daughter wanted to take an old wheel apart for a photography project!
It's OK, I'm sure your wife doesn't read this site, you can be honest here
- Next on the timetable: double cycling? Calls for cycling proficiency to appear on the school curriculum1 year 6 weeks agoWell, I qualified as a
Well, I qualified as a bikeability instructor earlier this year and was a co-instructor for the first time this week. We had kids with BMXs and just raised the saddle. In fact bike size was the major problem for some kids. I was in the countryside, Suffolk, but there were still plenty enough cars for the Year 5 kids to deal with. To be honest we could have done with more time to practise things more. Not everyone passed. In fact about 75% is the normal rate. I suspect very few of the cyclists here follow the national guidelines properly as I see many cyclists in kit not following the rules I teach e.g. distance from parked cars, side roads, checking behind etc.
Instruction and some improved infrastructure in busy areas are the way forward.
A lot of people claim that safety is an issue but is it really an excuse? Perhaps they say that because they don't want to say, "I'm lazy and out of condition so I prefer to use my car."
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoCat 2
- Edinburgh Tour Series1 year 6 weeks agoHmm, looks interesting. I'll
Hmm, looks interesting. I'll be in Embra. But I may be busy with my family. I'll come back to you on this.
- Should I upgrade to a new bike or upgrade parts on my current bike!!!1 year 6 weeks agoI have the Specialized
I have the Specialized Secteur 2011 and done about 15000 miles on it in 3 years with one cassette and chain change, due another one soon. I'd be the first to say the wheels are a bit heavy. The bike weighs about 9.5kg by itself and I have a rack for commuting and a bike lock holder but I've still got a few KOMS on it, at 56! I'd love a lighter bike and if I win the Giro I'll have one. Or if Uran wins I'll have some money, which along with some other money, I could buy some better wheels with. I go for the Conti 4000s level II tyres now but still got a puncture on the crappy riverside path. They are a bit quicker than the previous version I think.
Having a better, lighter, faster, sexier bike would be pure vanity really.
Why do you really need to improve your bike? Vanity? Necessity? ......?
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoDammit! I'm sure I swapped
Dammit! I'm sure I swapped out Nizzolo and Pichon for Aru and Poels, but I must have forgotten to press the confirm button.
Better hope the break makes it...
- Buyer’s guide: Waterproof cycling jackets1 year 6 weeks agoGalibier now do a lovely
Galibier now do a lovely looking jacket for £29. Mines arriving next week
- South Oz police threaten to fine unhelmetted riders on anti-compulsion protest ride1 year 6 weeks agoIf cyclists need laws to make
If cyclists need laws to make them wear helmets then so do car drivers and all pedestrians as head injury stats are not massively different for all these groups.
- Next on the timetable: double cycling? Calls for cycling proficiency to appear on the school curriculum1 year 6 weeks agoMy kids did a bikability
My kids did a bikability course which was great. I know the trainer which helped as well. They're both experienced riders but needed proper road training.
In our part of London, bikability courses often focus on scooter training for year 1 and year 2 kids. Several of the kids in the BMX Club had to do this and were less than happy about it. If you ask me, the scooter training is a waste of resources as it's pitched so low in terms of ability/skills.
Our cycling club has been pushing to have sessions with local schools. The coach did a few sessions with one secondary school but we're trying to arrange more. BC is helping with cycling in the community in London but it's like a bottomless pit almost as there's so much more that can be done.
- Bike Service - What would you expect to go wrong after 1700 miles?1 year 6 weeks agoWell I have an 8 speed
Well I have an 8 speed cassette and I've changed the chain once and cassette once in about 14000 miles. The chain needs a change soon and to be honest apart from something caused by a silly accident I've only spent money on tyres and inner tubes. I let the LBS do the chain and cassette the first time as I was lacking in experience but now I've got a tool for the cassette because my daughter wanted to take an old wheel apart for a photography project! Just need to get a chain tool to do the chain myself next time and the cassette later when it needs it.
I've got a Specialized Secteur Triple 2011. A bit heavy but reliable. I did a lot of miles in the wet winter weather and to be honest I'm not the most assiduous cleaner of a bike but that is a little deliberate to make it less appealing to the numerous bike thieves in Cambridge.
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoI had wellens for a few days
I had wellens for a few days but took him out for Ferrari yesterday....
- South Oz police threaten to fine unhelmetted riders on anti-compulsion protest ride1 year 6 weeks agoSo the rest of the world is
So the rest of the world is wrong? The statistics compiled in your own country are wrong?
“Overseas experience is not necessarily directly applicable here.” Oh! Really?
I know that just because your paranoid doesn't mean that no-one is out to get you, but, you don't think that, horror of horrors, you might, just might be out of your [insert expletive here] gumtree?
- Accident with a car advise ?1 year 6 weeks agoNote that filtering on a bike
Note that filtering on a bike or motorcycle is specifically mentioned in the Highway Code and that other road users are warned to take care as a result. If you are overtaking on the inside, this is also allowed if traffic in the lane on your right has stopped moving.
Basically, it sounds like you were doing what is allowed and that the motorist did not take sufficient care when he cut across your path.
The degree to which the situation could have been mitigated by your riding more slowly and watching out for vehicles possibly crossing your path is what the insurance company will probably focus on. If you're a BC member you'll have access to a lawyer who will be au fait with the legal position regarding cycling. You could still contact BC even if you're not a member and ask for some advice.
The other points about CCTV from the bus company, taking photos and making notes of the costs to you from this incident are good ones and worth following.
The main thing is that you're not seriously hurt. Bikes can be fixed.
- Videos: The Road, anthem of 2014 Tour de France Grand Départ + bonus Giro Donne song1 year 6 weeks agoVideo for Tour de France in
Video for Tour de France in Yorkshire. Of two twits who look like they both really need a poo, SAT IN A VINTAGE CAR.
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoMonsalve and Wellens are
Monsalve and Wellens are quite expensive although I could have just afforded Monsalve. I read quite a long time ago he was interested in the MP comp but wanted to make two other changes and didn't want to take any penalties at this stage of the race.
- Giro Stage 141 year 6 weeks agoPhilip Unwin wrote:Sprint
1Philip Unwin wrote:
1 Longo Borghini
3 Longo Borghini
4 Boasson Hagen
5 ? 6 ? 7 ? 8 ?