• Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoK Stand Ken wrote: there

    K Stand Ken wrote:
    there should be a "Cyclists Vigilante Force" set up to extract vengeance on such as this excuse for a human being.

    +1

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoFunny really, I have driven &

    Funny really, I have driven & cycled around London for the last 20 years and had no accidents in a car but have been knocked off my bike 3 times by cars over the same period. So please Harry (or Mark), don't argue I ride my bike more recklessly than I drive my car or else I'll be obliged to conclude you really are the car driver in the video

  • Witness appeal after two riders seriously injured on BHF London to Brighton Bike Ride1 year 6 weeks agomadonepro wrote:This ride has

    madonepro wrote:
    This ride has become too big, and with the same kind of attitude prevalant in sportives of having to be the fastest and first, it's no surprise accidents like this happen.

    Sounds like my commute...

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHousecathst wrote:We keep

    Housecathst wrote:
    We keep score as you put it because people are being killed by motorists on a daily basics. Perhaps if you had a near death experience a couple of times a week at the hands of another motorist who looks you in the eye pulls out in front of you anyway you would be keeping score too.

    Honestly?

    If i was having a near death experience twice a week because of something i chose to do, I'd have to say i'd try not to do it.... or at least change what i am doing...

    You know Einstein's definition of insanity?

    Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

    As i said above, it's not deliberate it's a simple (and sad) fact of going out on the roads....it's why i stopped riding, i felt it was too dangerous - i got hit by a bike on my bike because he went through a red light - no insurance no apology just rode off.... i got picked up by two other cyclists who moaned about the other one..... the sad fact is that human beings come in all forms good and bad.... this is not cyclists v motorists it's bad people making life harder for the good ones and the sooner this civil war ends the sooner you will realise you're fighting the wrong enemy.

  • London to Brighton...1 year 6 weeks agoRode it for the first time.

    Rode it for the first time. And the last time. The ride is all things to all riders. Some just bimble along for charity, some want to race it, and all in between. The number of riders just swamp the organisers. As has been said way too many riders for the roads to cope with.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoThe story isn't important -

    The story isn't important - it's just an illustration and you're right, a one sided story doesn't hold any sway at all.

    To get the truth you need to see both perspectives, there are bad drivers, there are bad cyclists, they all cause accidents, angst and trauma.

    BUT.... there will always be cyclists, there will always be motorists, dogs, kids, bikers etc. They exist on the road. As a biker i was taught to ride defensively and assume the car had not seen me or would do something silly, not because they do it on purpose but because humans are fallible and prone to error... if they weren't there would not be any accidents at all and we would not be having this conversation.

    So, my point is, once again, why not learn to co exist with motorists? you will not change the fact they are human so why try?

    you've no doubt learnt how to ride defensively, you no doubt can drive - please tell me you've never made a mistake in either and I will shut up.

    Please don't assume motorists are out to get you or that they don't care. Understand that behind the wheel there is a fallible human being just like there is on the your saddle holding the handlebars.

    You are more vulnerable cycling but you choose to go out on the road in that state and must therefore ride to those conditions and we as motorists must cope with that too..... we don't want to hit you.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoWe keep score as you put it

    We keep score as you put it because people are being killed by motorists on a daily basics. Perhaps if you had a near death experience a couple of times a week at the hands of another motorist who looks you in the eye pulls out in front of you anyway you would be keeping score too.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoQuote:The more I drive in and

    Quote:
    The more I drive in and around London the more I see dangerous riders abusing car drivers just for being there, cars barely crawl in town so cycling makes more sense but with some of these riders i'd be scared of being run down on my bike by another cyclist!

    I drive and cycle and I don't agree with you at all. I'm not in favour of bad cycling, but I don't think the blame is anywhere near 50-50.

    Cars go much faster and are many times heavier, so they do masses more damage. Many drivers are considerate, but far too many put cyclists in danger because they don't understand how they should drive, or are too impatient to wait until its safe to overtake (or, in this case, to wait for the cyclist to go round the roundabout). There is too much impatience, and too much of a get-out-of-my-way attitude.

    I have never ever been scared of being run down by other cyclists, but maybe conditions are different where you are.

    You're probably right about the incident you describe being the other guy's fault, although of course we won't hear his side of the story.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks ago"I disagree by the way, bad

    "I disagree by the way, bad cyclists are just as dangerous as bad drivers...... imagine a cyclist swerving suddenly, a car avoiding him and crashing into another?"

    "Imagine" being the operative word! give me an example of just this type of accident please, I'm sure the daily mail web site will be full of them if they every happen in any kind of significant number.

    Motorist were responsible for in the region 2500 deaths and serious injury on the roads last year, cyclist a fraction of the number.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoHousecathst wrote:Yeah, there

    Housecathst wrote:
    Yeah, there are bad cyclist and just like all motorist you have your little anicdotal story of some bad cycling to help justify the on going bad treatment on more vulnerable road users, be they cyclists or pedestrians.

    Yes cyclist get stuff wrong, but that very very rarely results in somebody (even the cyclist) being killed. the difference is that when motorist get something wrong people are killed by the thousand every year. Given the motorist likely hood of killing somebody with there deadly weapon is it unfair that they should be held to a much higher stand ?

    There's no need to be patronising, i'm simply trying to get to the bottom of this..'little anecdotal stories' and 'more vulnerable road users' suggests that it's a one way thing, i'm saying it works both ways and it really shouldn't.

    Personally I am wary of cyclists, bikers, kids, dogs or other cars - they are all unpredictable. I'm not saying one is good and one is bad i'm just saying why try and score points when the only one keeping score is you?

  • Video: Jeremy Paxman and Boris Johnson take to the streets on a tandem1 year 6 weeks agoThe top image is a definite

    The top image is a definite contender for Viz's UpTheArseCorner

    While it may be a great stunt, it probably won't do much for the promotion or normalisation of cycling in the Uk.

    Well played to them. I once did 2 miles on the back of a tandemand was sh1tscared the whole way due to the lack of control I had. Pilot was very experienced and was a very good mate so had absolute trust but never again.

    Also kudos for the suits. Cycling doesn't always need lycra especially as an urban transport mode. Fine for long trips or work commutes when you're getting changed anyway, but not for nipping around town

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoandybwhite wrote:Bad cyclists

    andybwhite wrote:
    Bad cyclists are a nuisance and there are a fair few of them but generally they tend to risk only their own neck.
    However, bad motorists kill and maim other people. One is too many.

    That's an interesting point but it doesn't answer the main question.

    What i'm trying to say is that motorists and cyclists are a fact of road life.
    Scoring points, however logical is a battle that takes more energy to fight than will ever be recovered surely life is too short to have that attitude?

    I disagree by the way, bad cyclists are just as dangerous as bad drivers...... imagine a cyclist swerving suddenly, a car avoiding him and crashing into another?

    I don't think i can subscribe to the 'it's ok to be a bad cyclist because you'll only kill yourself' that's not an excuse...

    I don't want to hit a cyclist, or anyone... it's a horrific thing to happen

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoYeah, there are bad cyclist

    Yeah, there are bad cyclist and just like all motorist you have your little anicdotal story of some bad cycling to help justify the on going bad treatment on more vulnerable road users, be they cyclists or pedestrians.

    Yes cyclist get stuff wrong, but that very very rarely results in somebody (even the cyclist) being killed. the difference is that when motorist get something wrong people are killed by the thousand every year. Given the motorist likely hood of killing somebody with there deadly weapon is it unfair that they should be held to a much higher stand ?

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoDo you think he introduces

    Do you think he introduces himself like this to the children he works with?

  • Christoph Strasser smashes records in 3rd RAAM win; GB's Mike Hall leads Trans Am Bike Race1 year 6 weeks agoStrasser is incredible. His

    Strasser is incredible. His average speed is difficult to comprehend over such a distance.

    Everyone competing has my full admiration.

  • Christoph Strasser smashes records in 3rd RAAM win; GB's Mike Hall leads Trans Am Bike Race1 year 6 weeks agoQuote:I couldn't give a

    Quote:
    I couldn't give a flying feck about Pippa Middleton.

    Clearly you give enough of a flying feck to post on here telling everyone you don't give a flying feck... Some sort of logic fail there I feel...

    So a minor celebrity is out there doing something amazing - riding across a continent, raising money for charity and, just possibly, inspiring a few people along the way to actually get on a bike. Generating a few column inches about the event and about the charity.

    Do feel free to inform the good people of road.cc of your contributions to the world of endurance cycle events and charity fundraising while you're at it.

    Meanwhile, Christoph Strasser - WOW!

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoBad cyclists are a nuisance

    Bad cyclists are a nuisance and there are a fair few of them but generally they tend to risk only their own neck.
    However, bad motorists kill and maim other people. One is too many.

  • Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver1 year 6 weeks agoWow you guys are serious

    Wow you guys are serious sleuths... much better than i would be!

    Well, the Mark i met had hair, he didn't look much like the guy in the video and the behaviour seems at odds with what I've heard but that's just my take, you're investigating the true identity and I'm glad about that - the important thing is that you don't vilify someone who is innocent.

    However, the actual reason i registered and posted was to respond to the mail i received so as not to appear to ignore it which would have been rude.

    Now, at the risk of really annoying everyone I'd like to ask a question regarding cyclists relationships to motorists as a completely separate topic.

    I used to ride - motorbike and pushbikes but now I drive so i have experienced all sides.

    Why the blanket animosity?
    I've seen some seriously bad driving by motorists and also some seriously bad riding.
    I've even had a conversation with someone who rode off the pavement straight into my path - I stopped in time ( i was doing 20mph luckily) but then got 5 mins of abuse in a similar vein to the video above - the parting shot was - i'm videoing this you'll be sorry.

    I just wanted him to look before he killed himself (talking as an ex rider).

    The more I drive in and around London the more I see dangerous riders abusing car drivers just for being there, cars barely crawl in town so cycling makes more sense but with some of these riders i'd be scared of being run down on my bike by another cyclist!

    It seems to me that when we are in control of a vehicle we only see the other vehicle and not the person in control so we are dehumanised....... how do car drivers and cyclists coexist?

  • 'Tasteless' Tour de France tributes under fire - including 'crashed' bike1 year 6 weeks agoI just don't think it sends

    I just don't think it sends out the right message to tour riders who are risking life and limb for their sport!! risking life and limb?? slightly overstated!!

  • 'Tasteless' Tour de France tributes under fire - including 'crashed' bike1 year 6 weeks agoBack to the topic of

    Back to the topic of 'crashed' yellow bikes, yes, it may not be a big deal, but there is a festive air about the dales right now with bikes/bunting/banners everywhere and feigned road accidents are not really in keeping with the prevailing spirit of celebration, neither are they a great advert for the dales

  • 1st Bike1 year 6 weeks agodrmatthewhardy

    drmatthewhardy wrote:
    Personally I'd go for the Planet X, because it comes with and almost complete Shimano Tiagra 10-speed groupset and Shimano's excellent entry-level R-500 wheelset with Continental tyres.

    All other things being equal I would make the same choice.

    The things that might make me choose differently would be issues of fit or comfort (only knowable by riding it). I would also want to know if there are any issues fitting tyres larger than 700x23 on either bike.

  • 'Tasteless' Tour de France tributes under fire - including 'crashed' bike1 year 6 weeks agoI saw that sign at the

    I saw that sign at the weekend too. I'm not sure how the writer will judge whether a bike qualifies under his or her criteria to be run over as there is no centre white line for much of the road above Reeth, the road being essentially single track with any two vehicles wider than bikes needing to slow when meeting each other. There's an awful lot of agricultural traffic at the moment too, being grass cutting time, so it would also be interesting to see whether he applies his no braking rule to tractors and harvesters he finds coming towards him on 'the wrong side of the road' by reason of their width taking up most of the road.

  • Going helmet-free not contributory negligence, German appeal court rules1 year 6 weeks agoI live in a city with more

    I live in a city with more bike riders than cars (Münster, Germany). It's a massively cycling friendly town with priority going to bikes and pedestrians at nearly every junction and 1000s of kms of cycle paths.

    There aren't many car/bike related accidents here for the simple reason car drivers actually LOOK for bike riders while there driving. I ride my bike everywhere and feel perfectly safe, I even take my daughter along in her bike trailer as a primary form of transport around the city. This is something I would have never dreamed of doing back home in a city in England. It's a culture thing, here car drivers are also nearly always bike riders so have common sense, give way, leave plenty of space when passing and don't tailgate riders.

    Granted you get the odd bad driver but there's also a lot of bad/crazy/suicidal cyclists out on the roads.

    For England to be a safer place to ride a bike, car drivers need to be educated to expect cyclists and look for them.

  • Fantasy Tour de France1 year 6 weeks agoHe won't.

    He won't.

  • 'Tasteless' Tour de France tributes under fire - including 'crashed' bike1 year 6 weeks agoNow if he'd have complained

    Now if he'd have complained about the A4 paper sign on the telegraph pole that said something like "Cyclists... Warning, If you are on the wrong side of the road, and I'm coming the other way, I WILL NOT BRAKE FOR YOU"...

    (Wish I'd grabbed a photo of it, but I was giving it the beans (on the correct side of the road I may add)

    It was somewhere between Gunnerside and Reeth IIRC. and attached to the pole under one of the yellow "Cyclists, Stay in Single File" police notices