- Would it work ?1 year 20 weeks agoObviously on a track there
Obviously on a track there are issues with knowing who's in front, who's lapped who etc. Maybe they need a display integrated into the jersey/shorts that uses colours etc to illustrate this?
(All the purists have just booked my assasination in with the local hitman...)
- Greg LeMond UCI presidency bid announced as Change Cycling Now summit concludes1 year 20 weeks agowell my cynicism levels have
well my cynicism levels have overflowed and are now making an ugly puddle on the floor.
This is depressing. I love Greg, would heartily applaud any measure that put him in the lead job. Never gonna happen though.
The 'independent' commission will run for just long enough to let the heat die out of this, and then they will find that there should be some serious reviews of procedure to prevent this ever happening again...with no culpability of Pat and Hein and no change in their roles. Same old same old...
It will be, in other words, just like the Leveson enquiry - a great face-saving and time wasting play, whilst the heat dies out of the public outrage, just in time for Cameron to say that actually the findings and recommendations of this inquiry can be safely ignored and he can jump back into bed with newscorp. Same old same old...
Bugger this. I'm heading off to the pub.
- Greg LeMond UCI presidency bid announced as Change Cycling Now summit concludes1 year 20 weeks agoI asked Jamie Fuller if CCN
I asked Jamie Fuller if CCN even bothered to read the UCI's own constitution, Which in principle is no different to this BS charter of the willing. I got nothing but abuse back from him and his henchmen. To the point where I had to block them on Twitter. Talk about fear? This is just a group set up like an unelected lynching mob who all have had a reason to dislike the UCI, sponsored by commercial interests, and suffering chronic groupthink. Fuller even admitted he was bank rolling it. I am for change in the UCI and I do not agree with how the UCI has been operating. However this needs to come from elected representatives. As a previous poster wrote, Lemond would first need to get a position within USA cycling's own management committee. Secondly, get some credibility as he still seems to have an alcohol problem. According to velocast they were up, partying until 2 am at this conference. Finally, fans, in most countries and most sports join their local sports club and fan clubs. I see no need for fan representation, as costs me nothing to watch a bike race, either on the street or on TV: I am represented by my own cycling federation. I think velocast (ex BBC engineer) and festingirl (Kent CC employee) are somewhat arrogant in their belief they are more important than Brian Cookson OBE, president of British cycling, who already represents them.
- Greg LeMond UCI presidency bid announced as Change Cycling Now summit concludes1 year 20 weeks ago"In that interview, LeMond
"In that interview, LeMond acknowledged that he might not be the best candidate for the job on a permanent basis, that he perhaps lacked the political acumen to become head of a sports governing body on a permanent basis, but he would be willing to take on such a role temporarily while someone of sufficient stature – he cited the name of former World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound – were able to eventually replace him."
I was keen to listen to what these guys had to say about the future and possible direction forward including all of their opinions...until I heard this.
The backing of Lemond for UCI president means this group are no longer unbiased or independent like they say the UCI should be with regard to drug testing for example.
Any placement of a leader to the UCI, should be done through regional bodies as per the process, without trying to skip through via a process for change group.
This really lessens any good that has come out of this group imho.
As for Lemonds proposition:
1. We need stability, not knee-jerk reaction and interim presidency. This may mean keeping the existing presidency as it stands, but at least they can be made accountable for all their past decisions whilst still in the job.
2. Lemond mentioning Dick Pound as possible successor is really concerning as his record is far from what if required to run a stable governing body of sport. How he handled affairs in the past is almost as good as how McQuaid has handled the UCI. This tells me that Lemond doesnt know whats required and would have a negative influence from within.
Its really early on in the development of this group and their overall message is a positive one that needs refinement. Its just a shame its being drowned out by Lemond and the likes of Dave Millar not being invited where apparently 10 other riders where.
- Car use in decline? RAC Foundation report says Peak Car theory oversimplifies the issues1 year 20 weeks agoIt is almost inevitable that
It is almost inevitable that fewer and fewer people living in major urban centres will own cars, where it has long been a luxury that not many actually needed. One of the "drivers" (sorry) behind this will undoubtably be the "squeezed middle" (almost all of whom have owned cars up until now) having less disposable income due to evaporating work available in middle-income jobs. So whatever transport policies are or aren't proposed, I personally think this will be the case. That doesn't necessarily mean they will all start riding bikes though - they may switch to trains or walking, hopefully slashing our NHS bill at the same time. What the hell happens to the squeezed middle in more rural areas, I do not have a clue. Maybe like all over the world they will move to cities so they can go to work without having a car. Urbanisation dude.
- trek long sleeve thermal jersey1 year 20 weeks agoReplica and fake are two
Replica and fake are two different things.
I can get a replica football shirt from my club shop. I can't get it from the far east, as those are unlicensed fakes
- trek long sleeve thermal jersey1 year 20 weeks agoIm ordering 1 though, I think
Im ordering 1 though, I think even if its a replica its still worth the money. and you still got paypal to cover your back...
- Car use in decline? RAC Foundation report says Peak Car theory oversimplifies the issues1 year 20 weeks agoIts anecdotal i know but i (a
Its anecdotal i know but i (a 40 something father of three) is certainly driving a lot less than i was 10 years ago. My wife also - she cycles to work now.
Some of this is out of choice but the rising cost of running a car has been a huge motivator too. Combine this with fact that all the joy of driving has been sucked out over the years and it is now nothing more than a chore.
I agree with Campag too - young people are less inclined to learn to drive ive noticed - mainly because they cant afford to insure a car.
Its such a shame public transport and cycling infrastructure isnt keeping pace with the underlying trend away from car use.
- TfL opens consultation on Barclays Cycle Superhighway CS51 year 20 weeks ago“As design progressed, it
“As design progressed, it became increasingly apparent that in order to fulfil the Mayor’s commitment to ensure the Cycle Superhighway is of sufficient high quality, physical constraints along this stretch would limit our ability to complete the route to these top standards,”
So, this basically means that the stretch from New Cross to Lewisham is of poor quality already and can't be adapted, so instead of trying to make improvements they are going to leave it in its current - unsuitable - state?
In fairness I don't think it's that bad from New Cross to Lewisham actually - road could do with resurfacing, but couldn't they all?? The excuse above sounds more like code for "we can't afford it"...
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 20 weeks ago'East London was the
'East London was the birthplace of fixed gear cycling...' – yeah, right!
I guess that for the people that H&M are selling to, something dating back as far as 2006 represents history!
The samples on the rail looked okay and I guess that as it's H&M the prices won't be in Rapha territory.
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 20 weeks agoSome stomach churning cycling
Some stomach churning cycling snobbery within the comments here. I cycle everyday but I'm loathed to call myself a 'cyclist' if it puts me in the same category as some of you lot.
- Trek Ion CX Pro1 year 20 weeks agoA 'cross bike without disc
A 'cross bike without disc brakes? How very 2011!
- Car use in decline? RAC Foundation report says Peak Car theory oversimplifies the issues1 year 20 weeks agoThere's little doubt that in
There's little doubt that in London and the South East, the influence of initiatives like the cycle hire scheme, investment in rail and the Olympics (with its emphasis on sustainable travel) has been huge.
Younger adults no longer see the need to learn to drive and to own a car. In fact, the majority view is that with high insurance and running costs, car ownership is no longer desirable. A mix of cycling/walking, using taxis and trains is viewed as being more cost effective.
- Would it work ?1 year 20 weeks agoI'm not sure it would work
I'm not sure it would work too well in a single stage but rallying is an interesting comparison. Watching a rally stage is similar to watching a TT but Rally GB for example ends up with a stage inside the millennium stadium. A velodrome scratch race as a stage would be a brilliant addition.
The London Revolution is a sportive so nowhere near the same level of audience but it's route does include a lap of Herne Hill velodrome.
- My Appeal/Auction1 year 20 weeks agoAnyone watched my awkward
Anyone watched my awkward video??
Footfall through the page is slowly going down, any ideas to get it up again?
I'm still bashing out the link on twitter all the time....
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 20 weeks agoeuanlindsay wrote:Riding aeuanlindsay wrote:
Riding a bike is about independence. It isn't about the environment or health.
You're wrong. It is about independence but it is about the environment and it is about health.
Environment and health aren't really the reasons for the majority of my riding but they will be for a lot of people amongst tons of other reasons.
Different people ride for different reasons and saying that riding is only about independence is just as bike snob as a shit lipped fixie hipster.
- Car use in decline? RAC Foundation report says Peak Car theory oversimplifies the issues1 year 20 weeks agoIt is an interesting bit of
It is an interesting bit of research. One thing I have noted is how few of the young people I know have taken their driving test. One of my nieces just passed her test and bought her first car, but I have two other nieces and two nephews, all of whom are old enugh to drive, and none of them yet has a driving licence.
- Go Pro - watch out if it goes wrong!1 year 20 weeks agonotfastenoughnotfastenough wrote:
interesting, I'm thinking a camera would be a good idea, but not on those terms. Thanks.
I agree with you but have you looked at the hyvid range of cameras, I have the 1080 sport over four (trouble free) years now plus it's not as bulky/non aerodynamic as a go pro
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 20 weeks agoRiding a bike is about
Riding a bike is about independence. It isn't about the environment or health.
- To early to whip this out?1 year 20 weeks agoCheers, I have sent that on
Cheers, I have sent that on to loads of people who I know will absolutely detest it!
- Kask Replacement Parts1 year 20 weeks agoHi,
Can you please let me
Can you please let me know how you get on with your search? Also got a Vertigo whose gel pads are starting to drift slightly.
- Liverpudlian cycling buddies set up web-only cycling mag - and the first issue's free1 year 20 weeks agoReminds me very much of
Reminds me very much of 'Winning' magazine. Which is good. Good read too.
- H&M collaborate with Brick Lane Bikes on urban cycling range + video1 year 20 weeks agoCalling your own bike shop a
Calling your own bike shop a Mecca makes you a bit of a cock doesn't it
- Would it work ?1 year 20 weeks agoThere's stuff already out
There's stuff already out there. Mainly the crits which falls into what your suggesting. I'm fortunate enough to live where the Scottish National Crits are hosted. It's a great day out. You get to see the kids race right up to the elite cat. The organisers have managed to come up with a pretty technical course. And it's free. There's also the Halfords Tour series.
- Limar wins iF Product Design Award for Velov lightweight helmet with removable wind-blocking plates for winter1 year 20 weeks agoI wear a skull cap under my
I wear a skull cap under my helmet in winter ... it covers my ears, which would get really cold otherwise.