• The Tour1 year 5 weeks agoI'm not sure on conventions

    I'm not sure on conventions on this site re posting references to other sites. Apologies in advance if this is not appropriate.

    I am running a game I'm calling Ultimate Cycling Challenge. This game introduces the concept of Combined Cycling Arts. It has 2 components:
    - the Fantasy points scored in TDF (via this road.cc game in our league),
    added to
    - the Kilometres you actually ride yourself during the TDF period (measured via strava and picked up in our strava group). If Brits or Yanks want to be measured in miles you can but I don't think that is a wise choice here Wink .

    Biggest aggregate number wins. No prizes except massive bragging rights.

    You have to ask to join our league and strava group, but at this point everyone is welcome to join. I'm running it through DTTalk.com in Australia. Here is the address of the launch article -
    http://dreamteamtalk.com/2014/06/25/fantasy-cycling-le-tour-est-ici/

    Think of it as fantasy cycling, now with added realism.

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agoantigee wrote:The reason

    antigee wrote:
    The reason people perceive more separated facilities are needed is because they can't see the possibility of changing drivers behaviour to share roads

    No, it's because putting cyclists in a confined space with large numbers of massive lorries, buses and construction vehicles will always incur an unreasonable amount of danger no matter how careful and well trained the drivers. And those are the types of vehicles and conditions that commuters who ride in our cities encounter.

  • Share the love on the road with a stay awesome sticker1 year 5 weeks agooliverjames wrote:Make an

    oliverjames wrote:
    Make an English version saying "Stay Amazing" and I'll buy some. I cannot abide "awesome".

    Origin of the word, according to OED, late 16th century, so about the time Shakespeare (or the Earl of Oxford or whoever) was starting to put quill to parchment, and long before any colonies were founded over there.

    There are a lot of things people presume are "Americanisms" that started here but fell out of use in British English Wink

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agouserfriendly wrote: So we

    userfriendly wrote:

    So we will keep coming back to this problem. And segregation doesn't solve it, it sidesteps it. At best. It's sort of kinda acknowledging the elephant in the room but refusing to call it an elephant.

    The groups which campaign for segregated infrastructure (which is basically every cycling charity) aren't ignoring anything, they campaign on multiple fronts. The position of the LCC is fairly straightforward, it should be possible to commute via high quality segregated infrastructure where it can be provided, and where it can't and roads have to be shared, they should be restricted to a 20mph speed limit.

    The position is based on the reality that even with the best training, mixing large numbers of bicycles with HGVs on busy fast roads will remain fundamentally dangerous. Nor is it politically possible to restrict all roads in a large city to 20mph.

    The policy is very simple, very clear, and at no point does it reduce the expectation that cyclists will also need to use the road, as the argument is also about allocating dedicated capacity for an ever increasing number of cyclists in the capital.

    The thinking that traffic will be pacified as more and more cyclists use it, was behind the current design of the Elephant & Castle, and some other very dangerous junctions in London.

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agoThe answer to your points

    The answer to your points userfriendly, as always in these discussions is "The Netherlands".

    The Dutch have a shit ton of segregated safe cycle paths, yet can still do serious riding on the road, still have good cycle teams, and still have less than a third of the cycling fatalities that we do.

  • 13-year old Irish cyclist pushed off bike by passenger in speeding car1 year 5 weeks agogoggy wrote:I've had someone

    goggy wrote:
    I've had someone throw a rock at me, miss, then come back and attempt it again the second time. The second time it did hit me, but on my pack I was carrying so I was not injured. I got home, then jumped in my car driving all over the place looking for the car, intent on slashing his tyres. Needless to say I did not find him. Probably a good thing. I phoned Plod but they were not in the slightest bit interested. Angry

    I'm not sure any more whether that's really a good thing.

    It's a nice thing to say, yes. But I'm starting to think that those kind of people who do things like that - and the people who are like them and hear/read about it - won't learn it any other way. The only language they speak and understand is violence. You hurt me? I hurt you + 50%.

    I mean, yes I will be charged with assault / destruction of property / whatever. But I'm starting to believe more and more that it might just be worth it. Because fuck all else works.

    Now, by "learn" I don't mean them suddenly recognising that life is precious and that it's not nice to put people at risk. Fat chance of that happening. No, what I mean by that is simply them being more careful solely out of fear of the consequences for themselves.

    A bit like Sharia law. It doesn't teach the thief that stealing is bad. It teaches the thief that if he steals he gets his fucking hand chopped off.

    As I said ... I'm not sure. But it starts feeling like it more and more.

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agobikebot wrote: I wonder if

    bikebot wrote:

    I wonder if the British Horse Society has members that speak out against bridleways, and think that using them make them less safe.

    Not really a fair comment.

    Look, I get the pro-segregation team's argument that segregation will help increase the modal share and all that good stuff. I will concede that point. But that still doesn't really tackle the original problem.

    We won't ever have the situation that all drivers will also cycle and that this magically turns them into considerate people. Most drivers already are considerate. Very considerate. Even if they don't understand why the crazy lycra-clad person is doing this to him- or herself (sic), most of them will still give them a wide berth and pass safely. In my experience anyway, which consists of at least 60 km in traffic almost every day. It's the few psychopaths and really terrible drivers that make it unsafe, and we will have them regardless.

    Now, personally I think those kind of people will be encouraged by segregation. The pro-segregation people disagree. Fine. Be that as it may, the fact remains that we will always have those kind of people, and once the increased numbers of cycling people start to want to use the roads as well as the nice segregated paths - perhaps because for some journeys they are more practical or perhaps because they want to go faster / have become more experienced / whatever reason any of us have to go road cycling - they will run into this problem.

    "Lowering speed limits for cars" <-- It's sad that this only got 10% of the votes in that survey. It's also sad that it's the only item in the list quoted above that actually deals with the problem. What I would have liked to see is a safe passing distance made into a law, e.g. 1.5 metres like in some countries on the continent. Put a fine on it, accept helmet cams as evidence, crack down on offenders. That would send the right message - that would help a heck of a lot more than most of the other items on that list.

    Because at the end of the day, a rather large number of people who cycle do cycle on the roads. And even those hypothetical wanne-be-but-are-afraid-to-try cyclists (I'll believe them when I see them on a bike) who segregationists claim will massively increase the modal share, a large number of them will eventually want to use the roads.

    So we will keep coming back to this problem. And segregation doesn't solve it, it sidesteps it. At best. It's sort of kinda acknowledging the elephant in the room but refusing to call it an elephant.

  • Just looking for somewhere to vent1 year 5 weeks agoCan't blame you for not

    Can't blame you for not engaging in that conversation yourself. Just reading Mr "Jo O"' makes my blood boil.

    That said, the mentioned cyclist sounds like an awful person if he behaved as described there. "Stupid dog"?! What the heck does he expect, it's an animal for crying out loud ...

    Yes, some people deliberately don't control their dogs. Not the animal's fault, though. Run over the owner, not the poor dog!

  • 13-year old Irish cyclist pushed off bike by passenger in speeding car1 year 5 weeks agoa couple of years back had a

    a couple of years back had a lad throw half a brick at me in the dark on a busy commuter road in Sheffield- reported to Police mainly in case there was regular stuff like this going on at the location - they followed it up checking with local community officers for youths matching my description and asked where I thought the brick had come from because if a skip/builders rubble they would contact to get moved

    oddly I was hit on my rucsac as well and the Police asked me to confirm that specifically as apparently that wouldn't make it assault!

    As to the lad, very sad that a young rider can't go out and train safely - hope culprit gets caught and well done to the van driver

  • Smith launch high-tech Overtake helmet1 year 5 weeks agofenix wrote:I think the visor

    fenix wrote:
    I think the visor is just aero looking - in tests its meant to be slower.

    Don't care. Wantone.

  • Video: patchnride fixes punctures in 60secs1 year 5 weeks agoNot every puncture involves

    Not every puncture involves penetration of the tyre. Can't see how this would work with Snake bites for example.

  • Transport for London agrees to scrap 'Stay Back' stickers1 year 5 weeks ago"Share the Road" with a bike

    "Share the Road" with a bike symbol is a common slogan in this part of Australia and to many drivers its means that cyclists should keep well to the left and shouldn't ride two a breast, cyclists are the ones holding up the drivers and need reminding not to do it.

    - a great victory on the offensive "Keep Back stickers" - whatever replaces them needs to be carefully trialled with focus groups - its pretty weird what goes on in some peoples minds

  • Just looking for somewhere to vent1 year 5 weeks agoDog walkers are a bit of a

    Dog walkers are a bit of a bugbear of mine. I use the local Sustrans cycle route a lot and every time I do I find myself taking evasive action because someone can't or won't control their dog and, at the same time, is oblivious to other users. I know it's shared use and, as such, I don't expect to have the route to myself. I just think there should be shared responsibility too.

    Still, what happened in the post you linked to isn't nice. I'd have been mortified.

  • Are cracks appearing in the Walsh / Sky love affair?1 year 5 weeks agofukawitribe wrote: Then just

    fukawitribe wrote:

    Then just say what you mean and stop this ridiculous alluding to then "Oh but I never actuallysaid that" nonsense. It's banal and tiresome.

    It was a reply to a posting about Sky's 'marginal gains' being able to justify a winning margin of 3 mins by a clean rider over the course of the TdF.

    I was merely pointing out Froome's actual winning margin which was nearly 50% greater - that's all.

    Then Coppi was brought into the argument from somewhere - not sure why Coppi and Froome are being mentioned in the same breath! At Wits End

  • Pedals / Shoes1 year 5 weeks agoI last raced over 20 years

    I last raced over 20 years ago, so absolute power transfer comes as a poor second being able to walk in my cycling shoes. I used LOOK pedals for years, but once I hit mid 30's and got accustomed to stopping at coffee and cake shops, I decided to go with the audaxers advice and try a pedal/ shoe system that gives you half a chance of not landing on your arse.

    I use Crank Bros pedals on all my bikes. I have to replace the bearings on the ones on the commuter every 18 months or so, but that's after 5000 miles in horrendous Glasgow weather.

    I've got narrow feet, so Gaerne mtb shoes are my favourite - Particularly since there are frequently special offers on them. The mtb soles aren't overly clunky and don't look massively different from road shoes once you're on the bike. I will decline to say how many pairs I have.

    Mtb pedals and shoes for me.

  • Are cracks appearing in the Walsh / Sky love affair?1 year 5 weeks agobashthebox wrote:Was he

    bashthebox wrote:
    Was he though? I mean, is that something you can possibly know?
    There's 70 years between them competing, training, nutrition, technology, attitudes, money - so much is different. Christ, there's enough differences in the last 10 years that it's hard to compare today's athletes to the era of massive EPO abuse.

    I'll be guided by the palmares - please don't argue that Froome may be on a level with Coppi Rolling On The Floor

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agoI wonder if the British Horse

    I wonder if the British Horse Society has members that speak out against bridleways, and think that using them make them less safe.

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agoLook. If you French fry when

    Look. If you French fry when you should pizza you're gonna have a bad time.

  • Are cracks appearing in the Walsh / Sky love affair?1 year 5 weeks agofukawitribe wrote: However,

    fukawitribe wrote:
    However, here's what I seem to see from yourself and others

    Person 1 : Sky seem to be handling situation X OK, what more would you expect ?
    Person 2 : If Sky were as clean and ethical as they pretend/there was nothing to hide, they would do Y in response to X (where X is whatever the person that person deems 'acceptable' to them)
    Person 2 : Sky did not do X, therefore there is something to hide/they're unethical etc

    Blimey, you've lost me there!

    Here's a simple example of Sky BS - you might call it a 'straw man' - but to me it's quite clear:

    Person DB said: they would only hire British docs from outside of pro road cycling to avoid links to doping.
    Person DB then hires a foreign doc who was previously employed by a cycling team with a doping problem.

    If you want a 'straw man' check out Person DB's justification for hiring dodgy foreign doc!

    I don't make this Bullsh!t up you know - Person DB is an expert at it!

  • Castelli Sanremo 3.0 speedsuit1 year 5 weeks agowould like one of these as

    would like one of these as can see the benifit in being able to race road races in a skin suit with pockets but it is allot of money for a bit of fabric.

  • Would-be cyclists want more cycle lanes and better facilities, says Halfords survey1 year 5 weeks agoso only 1 in 10 people would

    so only 1 in 10 people would consider driving more slowly.... that's because people simply aren't prepared to allow enough time to drive with consideration for vulnerable road users - I'm sure they would argue that it is external pressures work/school run times/childcare/getting to events that put the need to drive in this way as an essential - but in reality its a lifestyle choice and its needs a change in attitude and culture to allow vehicles cyclists and pedestrians to co-exist without conflict

    I'm not saying slow driving always equates with good driving but allowing sufficient time for your journey which includes time to be considerate to and to drive safely near cyclists and pedestrians would be a big change - this survey shows that the prevailing attitude is my time is more important than other people's safety

    The reason people perceive more separated facilities are needed is because they can't see the possibility of changing drivers behaviour to share roads

    Segregated facilities have a place and there is a need for them adjacent to major routes but in urban environments where most cycle journeys should take place they only increase a them and us attitude - a bit like fencing off pavements so cars can move at speed without any concern for pedestrians
    ....and don't get me started on the cost of cycle lanes and the infringement on pedestrians of shared paths that take no road away from vehicles

  • Aerozine Pulleys1 year 5 weeks agogot a pair of these on my

    got a pair of these on my bike and really like them they look good and last longer than the standard plastic ones that come on your bike. the 11T makes it only compatible with sram and shimano but if you have got campagnolo you need a 10T jockey wheel.

    http://www.charleysbikeaccessories.co.uk/collections//Aerozine

  • Just looking for somewhere to vent1 year 5 weeks agoFunnily enough, I've hit a

    Funnily enough, I've hit a dog when going through a park. I was just on my way to get a bag of coffee on a saturday morning, definitely not going fast, and a dog sprinted under my front wheel, coming from nowhere. It was awful. I fell off (and did a helluva stylish roll), and my very first thought was for the stupid animal. Was it ok? It was. I'd have been so cut up if it was hurt.
    On a side note, the people who picked me up and checked me for bruises were not the middle class hipsters taking their morning strolls, but a homeless man and a chap who sold possibly stolen bikes at the end of the park. So hey, maybe the best lesson to take away is not to judge a book by its cover.

  • Are cracks appearing in the Walsh / Sky love affair?1 year 5 weeks agodaddyELVIS wrote:bashthebox

    daddyELVIS wrote:
    bashthebox wrote:
    And Coppi won by 28 minutes, before there was any sophisticated doping of any sort. So what's your point, again?

    There was no point - hence "just sayin"

    Then just say what you mean and stop this ridiculous alluding to then "Oh but I never actuallysaid that" nonsense. It's banal and tiresome.

  • Are cracks appearing in the Walsh / Sky love affair?1 year 5 weeks agoWas he though? I mean, is

    Was he though? I mean, is that something you can possibly know?
    There's 70 years between them competing, training, nutrition, technology, attitudes, money - so much is different. Christ, there's enough differences in the last 10 years that it's hard to compare today's athletes to the era of massive EPO abuse.