- ICEdot Crash Sensor helmet-mounted sensor could save your life1 year 24 weeks agoNot quite... 112 routes to
Not quite... 112 routes to the nearest emergency control centre while 999 goes to the national centre. So the benefit of 112 is that the people you are talking to may know the local area better. But the location is not sent across to them, you still have to explain where the incident is
- Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up1 year 24 weeks agoWould the UCI be any better
Would the UCI be any better if Pat McQuaid were to resign? Hein Verbruggen's tenure as President saw numerous "donations" made to the UCI from people he asked us to believe got nothing in return.
The problem is not that Pat McQuaid is the unfit head of the UCI. It is that he is the head of the unfit UCI.
A better petition, and one just as unlikely to succeed, would be to request that the IOC cease to recognise the UCI as a credible, legitimate, governing body in sport.
- UCI Road Worlds: Great Britain's Lucy Garner retains the rainbow jersey1 year 24 weeks agoPhotos in CW gallery
Photos in CW gallery here.
Women's cycle sport, in this country and in general, is struggling for sponsors and airtime so this is fantastic news. Well done GB junior girls!
- Cinelli 2013: Laser Viva (like the original but carbon… with gears) + The Very Best Of & more1 year 24 weeks agoI think this version of the
I think this version of the Laser looks crap. The older versions looked much nicer. The new one looks like the Big Bad Wolf is blowing it down.
- Parliamentary inquiry to ask 'Why Don't More People Cycle'?1 year 24 weeks agoWhat puts parliamentarians
What puts parliamentarians off is the '****ing plebs and morons' operating the Downing Street gates who will not open them, like dutiful proles, but instead make important cyclists dismount and push. I mean, talk about treating cyclists as second class road users.
- DfT's new Think Cyclist campaign fails to get cycling organisations on board1 year 24 weeks agoI'm sure a better line would
I'm sure a better line would be to ask how much room a driver would allow for his/her daughter/son/wife/husband/whatever, if passing them on their bike. i.e. Make it personal and tangible. Half a car width is pretty meaningless, especially when most drivers are clueless about the width of their vehicles and/or the distance needed to stop.
The continuing growth in the use of phones while driving is pretty indicative of the priorities of many drivers, and it would appear that full attention to the task of driving is not one of them.
I still want to see the current cycling royalty fronting a high-profile campaign to raise the awareness of cycle safety, especially the need to allow sufficient room. Joe Public will perhaps listen to Wiggo, Cav, His Hoyness or Queen Victoria, whereas I'm pretty sure that a dull DfT message will be largely ignored. It needs to be done soon, though, before the memory begins to fade and the sideburns are removed.
- FS: Specialized Body Geometry S-Works Road Shoes (46)1 year 24 weeks agoThanks Adam
Great job on the
Great job on the shoes
They are mint!!
Keep me in mind if your selling other stuff!!
- Mendiz RS9.31 year 24 weeks agoLooks like a toothpaste
Looks like a toothpaste packet.
I love it
- UCI Road World Championships1 year 24 weeks agoTell you something Spain look
Tell you something Spain look strong for this!? =-O
- Cinelli 2013: Laser Viva (like the original but carbon… with gears) + The Very Best Of & more1 year 24 weeks agoOhmygodohmygod I want a
Ohmygodohmygod I want a supercorsa.
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agoThe ability to run a tapered
The ability to run a tapered fork is just one of the advantages of an xx44 headtube. The increased surface weld area it also brings with it the ability to spec and use a much larger diameter downtube (vs. 1-1/8") and also to utilise a more extreme degree of tube shaping (ovalised toptube). If you want gimmicky, ti and US made, I give you exhibit 001 - Lynsky Helix tubing
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agoInteresting that they went
Interesting that they went with 105 on a £2.3K bike. I wonder if that'll put anyone off. I'm not saying it should - I gather 105's very good (I wouldn't know, I like Campag) - but you know how fickle people are...
- ICEdot Crash Sensor helmet-mounted sensor could save your life1 year 24 weeks agoI heard that if you use 112
I heard that if you use 112 (euro emergency number) it routes you through to 999 but first records your location - does anyone know if this is true?
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agodave_atkinson wrote:it's notdave_atkinson wrote:
it's not significantly more costly to produce a tapered fork than it is a straight steerer one.
Precisely - just like it doesn't cost significantly more to produce a head tube that has a slightly greater diameter. But that won't stop manufacturers and distributor from charging more, which they'll be able to do thanks to artificially-induced scarcity, and because of all the people that cannot tell the difference between true innovation and gimmicks to avoid commoditization.
- UCI Road World Championships1 year 24 weeks agoHow come Slagter is not on
How come Slagter is not on the Road.cc startlist?
My info says he is racing
- UCI Road Worlds: Great Britain's Lucy Garner retains the rainbow jersey1 year 24 weeks agoFantastic news that just
Fantastic news that just shows that last year was no fluke.
And remember that, as reigning World Champion, she would have been heavily marked.
Our Leicestershire Road Club clubruns will just get even harder when she comes out with us.
I'm truly delighted for her,
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agoI just need another 200mile
I just need another 200mile exmouth exodus to test mine out on now. Not sure the Knees will agree tho!
- How bright should my new lights be?1 year 24 weeks agoAgree with everyone that
Agree with everyone that talks about dip. The big bang MTB lights are great in the forest, but blinding drivers on country lanes is not a good idea, they tend to drive towards what they are looking at (ie your light).
I had a 900 lumen MTB light around town and ended up pointing it a looooong way down. Pointless really. Now I use a dynamo with a shaped beam (Bausch and Muller for ref) which is excellent - a proper cut off beam and good spread.
So buy a specific road light if you can, I haven't tried these dip beam lights but I reckon that's the way forward. I have a small flasher on my helmet that is not blinding for riding in traffic - cars can see you above the other cars around.
Same on the back - one bright solid beam and a small flasher.
And LOTS of reflective doo dads.
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agoI get that you don't like
I get that you don't like oversized. I think you'd probably better get used to it, even if you don't want it for yourself, because I don't think it's going away. The aftermarket options for forks will grow; that's inevitable, since there's clearly at least one factory in the far east making them already, genesis aren't using their own facility. the more there are, the cheaper they'll become. it's not significantly more costly to produce a tapered fork than it is a straight steerer one.
The Lynskey is US built; the best titanium fabrication I've seen is Chinese. Your mileage may vary.
- Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up1 year 24 weeks agoOK - So lets assume you're
OK - So lets assume you're correct and public pressure will do nothing, which I very much doubt but let's assume.
What's your suggested course of action? How would it help?
- Cyclocross as my roadbike1 year 24 weeks agoAgree on the chainset. I
Agree on the chainset. I bought a cheap CX chainset for the trainer and it maxes out about 28mph with a 12, so not a big deal. If that's not good enough then just buy a 50t compact chainring and swap it in, no drama.
Tyres... 28 spot on for towpaths but I find them draggy on road and go for 25 and take a small hit on the tow paths. I did have a pair of 28s Scwalbe Ultremos with race guard I think from Planet X and they were only marginally slower, I tries four sets before going back to 25mm gatorskins on this CX bike but anything 28/32 that was 'toury' I just hated on the road, like pedalling treacle. If you expect to ride full tilt on a tow path 28 is probably going to mean a lot less punctures, bit otherwise 25 will be ok if you are not HUGE and HEAVY.
- Parliamentary inquiry to ask 'Why Don't More People Cycle'?1 year 24 weeks ago@ironmancole Good answer, all
@ironmancole Good answer, all your points are taken! Still think mine covers most of that - perhaps if I had added Lazy, insane and frightened Legislators that make it better...
Sure, if there was a chance at a good judicial review of the sentencing around cyclist killed on the road, and just perhaps a change in the law to make the driver culpable in the first instance... well actually that would be worth millions!
So yeah, ok, IT IS a good idea to get politicians et al on the case. And then lock them in a room with pies and beer until they signed up for action.
Happy riding this weekend folks. Me, I'm on the MTB, too much stress on the roads...
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agodave_atkinson wrote:it's justdave_atkinson wrote:
it's just a tapered fork, it's not as if they've come up with their own proprietary standard. there's plenty of them around and many carbon bikes spec them now so they're only going to get more common, and cheaper.
There are some aftermarket tapered-stearer crabon forks available, but they are to match the crabon race bikes that use them. I don't think I've seen any tapered-stearer forks with eyelets and the extra leg-length to match this frame. And if they are they'll almost certainly cost a lot more than a standard 1 1/8" fork of the same quality.dave_atkinson wrote:
The EqTi is £200 more, list price, than the Lynskey without a fork.
You can get the Lynskey for less than its list price right now. And it is US-built, whereas presumably the Genesis comes from the Far East. If so, labour costs would be far less, so this should be cheaper.Alb wrote:
Yesterday's technology >>>>>>>>>
Is this really "technology"? Or flogging the dead horse of oversizing?
- FSA BB30 adapter sleeve removal1 year 24 weeks agoI removed the sleeve from my
I removed the sleeve from my Orbea Orca so that I could run BB30 and Wheels manufacturing adapters instead.
To remove it we used a headset press (posh park one) and a round halfords chrome exhaust extension.
Strangely enough, I've just used the same extension to fit my 1.5in race to some tapered forks as they only had a 1 1/8 tool handy.
- Just in: Genesis Equilibrium Ti1 year 24 weeks agoWeighs in at 18lbs dead as
Weighs in at 18lbs dead as is...