• Lezyne Micro Drive rear light1 year 6 weeks agoTidy. I'll have it. Fiver to

    Tidy. I'll have it. Fiver to save the children?

  • Surrey Council Council pushes for sportive organisers to be forced to give a year's notice of events1 year 6 weeks ago“an activity which has a

    “an activity which has a footprint on the highway or may affect movement on the highway''

    Do the 200,000 vehicles per day which give the M25 in Surrey its status as Europe's biggest car park count as an activity with a footprint on the highway?

  • Surrey Council Council pushes for sportive organisers to be forced to give a year's notice of events1 year 6 weeks agoWhy is it that when a

    Why is it that when a decision does not go the way some would like it is beacause of nimbyism?

    This really is a becoming a stuck record.

  • Trek recalls some 2013 Madones1 year 6 weeks agoOk so Trek have a faulty

    Ok so Trek have a faulty part. Big deal. They're admitting the error and resolving the issue.
    I have two Treks, managed to buy both of them in the right size and with the right geometry for me, I guess that's the advantage I gained from going to my LBS (who know about all this stuff) and them sticking me on the bike that was right for me - in both cases, a Trek. They're fantastic bikes and I love them.

    It's a shame knightbiker had a bad experience, some of which does seem to be product related and some self-inflicted. But I'm sure we could find an unhappy cannondale/project x/pinarello/Raleigh customer in just as little time.

    I'm not affected by all this - so enough of forums, I'm off out on my bike.

  • SRAM issues total recall and Stop Use Immediately warning for Red 22 and S700 hydraulic brakes1 year 6 weeks agoWhy not try going out for a

    Why not try going out for a bike ride instead of arguing on here.

  • Trick Tech: Martyn Ashton's Colnago C59 Disc + video1 year 6 weeks agoOf course, that brake lever

    Of course, that brake lever set up would be ideal for retro futurist singlespeed cyclocross. Any chance of making it to retail?

  • Is Wiggle in some sort of trouble?1 year 7 weeks agoMust say Jimmy I don't find

    Must say Jimmy I don't find that remark very fair. I have never really used Wiggle (yet) but Chain reaction have been superb.
    I have in the past ordered things from them late in the afternoon and by 10am the following day recieved them by their normal free delivery service - on more than one occasion. I think they must have a van and ferry waiting to immediately despatch my orders Smile .

    Also for many items I do find them cheap. I do not make a habit of ordering things just to see if they fit as some posting here seem to (meaure twice - fits first time) However on one order that was wrongly listed they resent another item immediately, on another occasion when they really did make a b**ls up (1x3metre is not the same as 3x1metre) they ended up showering me with gifts that they knew were relevant to me from my order history and telling me to keep the mis-supplied goods.

  • More HGV safety features & possible rush-hour ban for some lorries in London after councils agree to launch consultation1 year 7 weeks agoIanW1968 wrote:Neil753

    IanW1968 wrote:
    Neil753 wrote:
    Would you prefer it if there were no drivers on this forum?

    There are plenty of drivers on this forum, you are not the only person to have driven a car or truck.

    You seem to have sufficient time to post at length on these threads, repeating the same ideas. The basic premise of which is- regulating the use of commercial vehicles in urban areas will increase pollution, cause a traffic frenzy and increase the price of a loaf.

    All of which is twaddle and throwing in a few made up numbers doesn't make the arguments any more valid.

    The claim to be a cyclist seems more to be a construct presumably in the hope of validating your defence of dangerous commercial vehicle operators.

    So offer up opinions, but as the problem, you should not expect to decide the solution.

    OMG, there you are again! Whenever I post, from an hgv driver's perspective, you pop up, claim I'm talking a load of tosh, criticise the construction of my posts, or the frequency of my posts, or the length of my posts, or even my sentence construction; but without ever offering any constructive counter argument.

    Ian, may I suggest that we just accept that we have different opinions, and leave it at that. How about I refrain from reading your responses to my posts, and you just accept the fact that I won't be reading them?

  • Front Light for Really Dark Nights _ Any Recommendations??1 year 7 weeks agoSo, just to tidy up by

    So, just to tidy up by publishing the results of the enquiries I made concerning bicycle lights earlier:

    The Cateye distributor in the UK (Zyro Ltd) responded acknowledging my query on the 18th Nov. promising a reply within 48Hr's. They have not replied.

    Lezyne acknowledged my query on the 16th Nov. and told me that, “your inquiry is very important to us” and that they will respond within 2-3 days. They have not replied.

    Chain Reaction cycles replied on the 17th Nov. They informed me that my question has been approved and is very important to them. They asked me to resubmit my question on the 20th Nov as it did not meet their posting guidelines. I did not resubmit it.

    I asked Halfords the same question about type approval of these lights,. The email was not returned as undelivered but I have had no response at all from them.

    Wiggle replied to my question on 18th Nov. They say: “Unfortunately the manufacturer does not provide this information currently.”

    To be fair Wiggle do also publish alongside their presentation of the light a brief overview of the law concerning them and give a link (as I did above) to; http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

    I think when one considers how powerful some of the lights now supplied for bicycles are and points such as the one Neil753 makes here;
    http://road.cc/content/news/100827-more-hgv-safety-features-possible-rus... .
    it is very important, both for our image as cyclists and for safety to make sure we do use lights with proper beam patterns.

    I would contend that it is about time the shambolic UK laws concerning them is tidied up.

  • Make cycle awareness part of driving test, says top motoring journalist1 year 7 weeks agoAh, the good old 'raking'

    Ah, the good old 'raking' plates. The challenge of driving as badly as you can without being caught and having them extended.

  • More HGV safety features & possible rush-hour ban for some lorries in London after councils agree to launch consultation1 year 7 weeks agoI'm afraid Neil753, that as

    I'm afraid Neil753, that as another lorry driver and also former operator, I can't agree with a great deal of what you say either.
    With a lower cab, except right down by your front bumper, you will completely lose the blindspot immediatley in front of you. Also without using a kerb mirror you will lose the blindspot by your passenger door almost completely and additionally be able to make direct eye contact with anyone so positioned. The blindspot by your tractor unit rear wheel will also be considerably reduced. You can still see the rear wheels of your trailer and anyone coming alongside, along the whole length of your vehicle.

    I agree with what you say about a greater feeling of security, especially at night that comes with a high cab, but put it to you that this is percieved rather than actual. If someone wants to hijack you they will have their act together to deal with the situation whatever cab you have. A high cab does also have some advantages concerning a better overview of the traffic situation you are in.

    I also tend to agree with the idea of banning HGV's from inner city areas altogether. Lets have loads more cycle delivery vehicles and healthy clean areas free from most motor traffic hazards. Places where people can enjoy moving about without all the noise and pollution.

    There are a number of freight movement solutions that have not even been considered, such as using the metro's for freight movment.

    HGV's, don't ever forget, are there to serve - not dominate- our lives.

  • Lezyne Micro Drive rear light1 year 7 weeks agoLucky I didn't write the

    Lucky I didn't write the review, because I'd have been a damn sight more rude about it. Ludicrous piece of poorly thought out MAMILbait. But hey, CNC machining and 70 lumens!! Party

    If anyone wants the one gathering dust in my big box of lights, drop me an e-mail. Free to a good home, just stick a few quid in your charity box of choice.

  • Coming soon to a pavement near you: new automated bike parking1 year 7 weeks agoHow about we make

    How about we make subjectively safe streets the priority if there's money knocking around to spend?

    London are now seeing the results of installing the bike hire scheme before making the city pleasant to cycle in (for everyone). Of course these kind of schemes and facilities are politically less controversial and they look exciting in the news, but in the end it's cart-before-the-horse-stuff.

    Plus I won't be getting rid of my D-lock any time soon, and there are always railings around.

  • Cycling architects to consult on all London cycling facilities1 year 7 weeks agoDave42W wrote:Why would we

    Dave42W wrote:
    Why would we look to the US rather than to the Netherlands?

    This.

    There have certainly been some promising noises from the US regarding liveable cities recently, in the same way that cycle campaigning here is beginning to have a more consistent voice.

    But of all the cycling cities and nations in the world, we're looking to the US for guidance? Seriously?

  • Would people prefer it if we turned off commenting on reports of fatalities?1 year 7 weeks agoI also agree that comments

    I also agree that comments should be turned off- unfortunately there is a tendency for them to bring out the inner-crash investigator among a minority, who seemingly just want to put their detective skills to the test using Google Street View to try and work out who is to blame for an incident. It can get tasteless and sidetracked quite quickly, and no matter how efficient any moderator is, some inappropriate comments will be published before they get removed (unless there is a move to pre-mod comments before publishing which no one wants to see happen). Plus I would much rather the energies and attention of those behind the site are more focused on new articles as opposed to monitoring comment threads.

  • Make cycle awareness part of driving test, says top motoring journalist1 year 7 weeks agoOne big problem stems from

    One big problem stems from the fact that the main focus of driving lessons is to pass the test, not to create safer drivers. That becomes very clear here in NI-people who have just passed their test have to display "R" plates for a year afterwards (and are limited to 45mph)- the number of R-drivers who suddenly, for example decide they no longer have to use indicators now that they have their license show that the same approach to studying for school exams is followed- do what you have to do to pass then forget about it afterwards.

    This is just my long winded way of saying that, rather than concentrate solely on what the test consists of, we need to move beyond the mindset of simply learning to pass the driving test-that however is a long term and difficult process. As in my job, the temptation is to assume that information dissemination is the most effective way simply because it is easy- unfortunately attitudinal and behavioural change require smarter and more long term approaches- simply telling people to give cyclists more room won't work in a lot of cases.

  • is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?1 year 7 weeks ago700c wrote:Goldfever4

    700c wrote:
    Goldfever4 wrote:
    700c wrote:
    Cridge wrote:
    I'm running Gatorskins, they are 23's and they are impeccable, I have dropped the pressure down to 85 but the only slip I get is uphill (out the saddle) and hard on the brakes - I won't buy a different tyre, yes the roads are more slippery than usual but I can only tell because those I ride with keep slipping and that's on a multitude of tyres?

    can anyone recommend a tyre that does not skid going up steep-ish hills when out of the saddle? or is it completely unavoidable?

    I'm really struggling with this at the moment, but to be honest the same problem affects me during summer as well when the gradients get above 15% or so

    I posted a topic on here before about this and consensus was my technique was poor - which I've tried to work on this by not pulling on the bars, keeping weight back etc, but still get the slipping..

    What gear are you in? Sounds like your gear is quite high, cadence low, and consequently you're putting a lot of pressure at an early part of the pedal stroke.

    I'd say you have 2 options, one cheap and one not so - even out the pedal stroke / put your arse back further, or get a pizza dish

    Thanks all, for your responses. Gearing is 34X25 at the lowest. Inevitably when the road gets really steep my cadence drops (that could be addressed in part by fitness, I accept) - and hence I feel the need to stand up just to keep momentum.

    I think the fact that I don't get this on a mountain bike would suggest either or both gearing and traction are the problem.

    I'm doing the 'coast to coast in a day' in June and I know that Hardknott and Wrynose will be a huge challenge in this respect. I am not sure if it is even possible to get up those on a 34X25, let alone without the wheel slipping issue (though if that starts on a 30% incline I know it would finish me off). I am reluctant to change gearing to something like 34 X 28, which would compromise my riding in every other respect, so may have to embrace the 'walk of shame' for a few hundred yards!

    Couple more thoughts:

    -I've read that Gatorskins aren't the grippiest tyre. Maybe try a Continental GP 4 seasons? Similar tyre but supposed to be an improvement (I use the Gators too)
    -Have you thought about adjusting the saddle backwards a bit (i.e. putting your weight further back when in the saddle)?
    -I can't see any reason why moving to 12-28 would impair your cycling as much as walking would! (reiterating the point made by someone else)

  • Is Wiggle in some sort of trouble?1 year 7 weeks agoChuck wrote:Nixster

    Chuck wrote:
    Nixster wrote:

    Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however Wink

    If it makes you feel any better, I got 2 with my last one Wink

    I got an order on Thursday, no haribo too! Wiggle not feeling the Christmas spirit apparently....

  • Proposal to modify ASL zone - opinions wanted.1 year 7 weeks agoNo!! ASL is fundamental for

    No!! ASL is fundamental for slower cyclists getting away safely, whether going straight, left or right at the junction. It prevents a car moving alongside you when you are moving slowly and therefore least stable. (i.e. clipping in, or a slow unsteady rider getting up to speed).

    Personally, I'd say splitting the box into L/S and R halves may help prevent cyclists moving too far across the box and therefore in the way of the traffic behind, but that's not practicable when you consider overflow of cyclists.

    Staggered lights aren't ideal either. 10 full seconds at every junction?! Not a chance of that being accepted by other road users. A great idea for busy times at particular junctions (e.g. cycle superhighway routes in London at rush hour), but any other time of day would be stupid and most junctions don't need it. By that point it's so complicated that it's confusing and counter-productive.

  • Shimano Sora 3500 groupset1 year 7 weeks agoI agree entirely about the

    I agree entirely about the brakes, the pads that Shimano supplies just aren't up to the job. I tried to persevere and get used to them and only succeeded in scaring the life out of myself. I replaced them with a set of Aztec pads and they work fine. I'm still surprised that Shimano penny pinch in such a safety critical area, the replacement Aztecs cost me about £15, which I suspect would work out at no more than a few extra quid on the groupset if they came as standard.

  • SRAM issues total recall and Stop Use Immediately warning for Red 22 and S700 hydraulic brakes1 year 7 weeks agoI too have strong views on

    I too have strong views on Avid Elixirs; I found my Elixir 3's to be utterly hopeless. They squealed in use and suffered from pad run which couldn't be eliminated despite much fiddling. Worst of all they felt wooden. It got to the stage that I just didn't want to ride my mountain bike, So back in the summer I bought some XT brakes (M785) and what a revelation, no pad rub and no squeal at all and they just sort of work.

  • Suggestions/requests for the 2014 season1 year 7 weeks agoenrique wrote:I was just

    enrique wrote:
    I was just looking at the Rankings page and wondering if it's up to date as far as including the last points from the last races...

    Gkam, does the Rankings page currently include the last points that were earned by the riders in the last competiton of 2013? Just wondering if those got included or if what we see on that page was the last Ranking before the last race...

  • Suspended sentence for cyclist who seriously injured pedestrian1 year 7 weeks agoFair sentence for the crime,

    Fair sentence for the crime, looks about similar to what a car driver would get for a similar offence typically.
    I hope the young girl made a full recovery.

  • More HGV safety features & possible rush-hour ban for some lorries in London after councils agree to launch consultation1 year 7 weeks agoNeil753 wrote:Would you

    Neil753 wrote:
    Would you prefer it if there were no drivers on this forum?

    There are plenty of drivers on this forum, you are not the only person to have driven a car or truck.

    You seem to have sufficient time to post at length on these threads, repeating the same ideas. The basic premise of which is- regulating the use of commercial vehicles in urban areas will increase pollution, cause a traffic frenzy and increase the price of a loaf.

    All of which is twaddle and throwing in a few made up numbers doesn't make the arguments any more valid.

    The claim to be a cyclist seems more to be a construct presumably in the hope of validating your defence of dangerous commercial vehicle operators.

    So offer up opinions, but as the problem, you should not expect to decide the solution.

  • Make cycle awareness part of driving test, says top motoring journalist1 year 7 weeks agotrain them all you like, they

    train them all you like, they still be the same sort of drivers as before due to next to no enforcements. need liability laws, bans instead of fines, proper cycling infrastructure & get them to turn off devices when in a car if that distracting!