• Video: Colnago shows how it puts a C60 frame together1 year 5 weeks agoNick T wrote:That would

    Nick T wrote:
    That would suggest you let your wife know the cost for one. A bold, bold move...

    I didn't tell her it was just for the frame....

    There'll be some hasty, other bike sacrificial, panic cannibalisation going on in the shed once it arrives.

  • ITT1 year 5 weeks agoKonig single-handedly

    Konig single-handedly dragging me back into contention in my mini-league. Exciting stuff from him, bright future for sure.

  • Not more #bloodycyclists: Social media intern slammed for 'asking to be hit' tweet1 year 5 weeks agojacknorell wrote:ronin

    jacknorell wrote:
    ronin wrote:
    The fact is, on the road we are all Palestinian.

    No, we're not.

    We don't have an unelected gov't ruling by force, which is also sending more rockets against civilians than Germany did against London/England during the blitz. And then intentionally use us as human shields against the inevitable retaliation, hoping to get dead cyclists (Palestinians) in the news.

    In fact, we're worse off, because in no way have we incited this hatred and resulting second-class status.

    It's pretty hard to hold the moral high ground over what people write on internet media if you make spectacularly crass and inappropriate comparisons like that. Get a grip.

  • Transport Research Laboratory: Mandatory helmet laws “prevent head and brain injuries”1 year 5 weeks agoJersey has a fairly anti

    Jersey has a fairly anti cycling stance when it comes to the local politicians.

    Every now and again they get all fired up about making it mandatory for bikes to have a number plate.

    Go riding, running or walking and every day someone will almost run you over flying round the lanes way beyond the speed limit.

    But helmets and number plates will fix all that...

    When did we stop being a community? The longest journey is twenty minutes, yet everyone is hell bent on shaving a minute off by flying round blind bends...

  • Not sure if worth reporting to Company, never happened to me before? (Video)1 year 5 weeks agobashthebox wrote:Jesus. Ok I

    bashthebox wrote:
    Jesus. Ok I can see the reason people ride with cams - if there's a need for evidence in the case of an accident, all good. But to post up little barely anything events like this every time you ride - christ. Seriously, nothing better to do? It's not going to change driver behaviour, it's not going to result in a prosecution. All it does is make people think cyclists are boring nobbers.

    I can't believe I'm reading this, do you ride a bike on roads? The driver was making the wanker sign at him, just because he was riding a bike?! Never mind the closeness of the pass, the forcing the oncoming Land Rover almost off the road, the fact that he is paid to do a job and yet behaves like that?!

    I disagree that it is not going to change driver behaviour. He shouldn't be driving, and if his company throw the book at him, that's a good thing. And the more publicity incidents like this get (and the one where the car turned across the cyclist) the better. So many of us (and yes I am guilty of it too) get behind the wheel of our two ton tanks and don't concentrate, don't treat the act of driving with the care or thought we should, we all need a wake up call.

  • Are carbon frames good for tall/heavy riders1 year 5 weeks agoI don't know whether that can

    I don't know whether that can be leveled at all carbon bikes but I personally don't have a great deal of confidence in open mould frames. If you're bringing a frame to market you need to have high levels of quality control and destructive testing.

    Plus, why have a cheap, generic and uninspiring carbon frame when you could have a top end lively aluminium frame like the CAAD10 or Kinese? My Felt has been a trusty mile muncher, but I can't say it's lit my world on fire. I'm toying with a CAAD10 for a replacement, although Cervélo's S3 is nice.

    Check out the R2. Shimano 5800 series 105 and a good frame... It's a super competitive price point for bikes; as consumers, we're spoilt for choice.

  • Feel the pain of overweight cyclists1 year 5 weeks agoI haven't read everything

    I haven't read everything written so far, so I'm sorry if I reiterate what someone's said, but GCN did a video on losing weight by cycling not too long ago and I think it was fairly sensible.

    A couple if subtler points from it (or somewhere else, I thi they're good anyway) were to make sure eat on the bike, rather than solely off it; eat decent, mainly unprocessed food outside of big events; and throw in a bit of interval type stuff at the end of a longer ride.

    On the first point, I find fuelling as I'm burning seems a much more natural way to regulate calories than trying to rely on theoritical numbers either side. Obviously, have a good carby (read: porridge or similar) meal before a big ride, and something proteinous (and some more carbs) at the end to facilitate recovery - but in terms of the calories you burn riding, try as have these as you're riding rather than having your stomach telling you to 'make up for it' at the end.

    Food-wise, most unprocessed foods have a harder time of cramming fat and sugar into tight space than their processed alternatives. They also are generally more nutritionally balanced as they haven't had any one part of them (i.e. the sugary part) stripped away and eaten in isolation. Even from a pure cycling perspective, eating healthily has its performance benefits, and the less sick days you have, the more time you can spend riding, and the fitter - and leaner - you can get. I actually find this approach less restrictive, as I can eat what I want - so long as it isn't junk - which means I don't really feel I'm denying myself. Vegetables are also really interesting when you stop viewing them as the sad and wilted bits at the bottom of a ready meal.

    The last point is a bit more tenuous than the first two, but I find throwing in a few bits of high intensity work at the end of a longer ride cause my body to kick into metabolic overdrive and believe it needs at the resources it can get, i.e. dipping into the fat reserved it holds so dearly. Of the three, it's the most likely to have elements of being a trumped up old wives tale, but I do think that incorporating variety into one's riding is a good thing regardless. You don't just get better at climbing hills by just climbing hills, and by taking a broader view you may see improvements happen naturally over time as the result of different factors. If nothing else, you're less likely to get demoralised if you're aware that you have a range of options, and they'll all help. Just go and ride your bike. Wink

    Sorry if that was a bit long, I hope you find something in it!

  • Transport Research Laboratory: Mandatory helmet laws “prevent head and brain injuries”1 year 5 weeks agoburtthebike wrote:The main

    burtthebike wrote:
    The main author of this report, Richard Cuerden, was part of the much more comprehensive TRL report of 2009, which could find no evidence of helmet effectiveness. The new report says that it used the previous report as a reference, but the question has to be why was another report required when a comprehensive review had already been carried out and reached a valid conclusion? Obviously because it reached the wrong conclusion. It seems that TRL might not be quite so as independent as people think.

    The report was paid for by Jersey politicians, and the outcome was decided before finger hit keyboard.

    TRL used to have standards, now they just count the money.

    Yet another report that will be held up as proving that helmets are effective, when it was just an exercise in justifying a decision already taken and has no scientific validity.

    I'd agree. From reading the report it looks exactly like they started with the conclusion that their client required ... and then worked backwards from there, dismissing all evidence that proved contrary and highlighting anything that supported the conclusion.

  • Shipping1 year 5 weeks agoThanks for the info guys,

    Thanks for the info guys, guess I'll get down to the LBS and beg.

  • 4 highlights of Raleigh’s 2015 range1 year 5 weeks agoHey Mr Turing, Just read your

    Hey Mr Turing,

    Just read your comment, I work for a newly established Bike shop in the heart of Wiltshire (approximately an hours drive from Bristol) called Pewsey Velo. We are a Raleigh stockist, and have many models including the Revenio Carbon, Sp Elite and even a Revenio Di2 demo model. Currently the carbon models have £200 off! Furthermore we have just signed on for next years stock so if you're in the area feel free to pop in. The owner Nick, is incredibly experienced and actually rides a Raleigh himself so we should be able to help you out.

    Visit our website www.pewseyvelo.com or send us an email/call if you're interested!

    Thanks
    Jesse

  • Not more #bloodycyclists: Social media intern slammed for 'asking to be hit' tweet1 year 5 weeks agolevermonkey wrote:oldstrath

    levermonkey wrote:
    oldstrath wrote:
    joemmo wrote:
    So what's the aim here? Sharpen the pitchforks and start another twithunt with the aim of getting another idiot sacked just because, out of all the other stupid, vain, offensive and dangerous bile on the web, this one can be traced back to an employer?

    Honestly, this isn't news, it's opinion. It's opinions about opinions. It's crap.


    For preference, sacked, charged with inciting violence and her licence to drive revoked.

    No! No! No! No! No! [God. I sound like that bloody cat on the internet!*] What would that achieve? Just another bitter, twisted, cyclist hating idiot who stands up in the pub pontificating about bloody cyclists this and bloody cyclist that. These morons have to be educated and encouraged to be civilised human beings. We need friends and allies; we already have enough enemies.

    *In case your wondering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRX6LXDpWs


    Good luck educating the brainless. I don't think it works. Making sure such eejits never drive again, and preferably never work again, would at least protect the rest of us. The reality of course is nothing will happen to her, or to the company sheltering her.

  • Not more #bloodycyclists: Social media intern slammed for 'asking to be hit' tweet1 year 5 weeks agoMuch as I enjoy burning of

    Much as I enjoy burning of witches.

    Surely a better way of dealing with these people would be to introduce them to a recent crash victim (preferably still bloodied and moaning) and family. Or force them to ride a bike as someone squeezes past at warp speed in a motorised metal box.

  • ITT1 year 5 weeks ago23 on stage for me seem to

    23 on stage for me Big Grin seem to be having a late peek in form! Thinking

  • ITT1 year 5 weeks agoDisappointed, just 1,4,6,7,12

    Disappointed, just 1,4,6,7,12 for me. Should have gone Dumoulin not Valverde.

  • Earphones on cyclists: Yea or Nay?1 year 5 weeks agoI think the most important

    I think the most important thing is not what you can hear but what you are aware of. And that's a whole different matter.

    It's like the difference between a car driver looking in their mirror and observing what they can see in their mirror.

    It's the difference between looking ahead and reading the road ahead.

    As human beings we are very good at sensing threats and in order to do this we use all our senses so deafness is not a factor.

  • Skoda FL1 year 5 weeks agoIve got 3 for Paris, hoping

    Ive got 3 for Paris, hoping to hold of Chiv and win FS and somehow sneak into the top 20 overall.

  • Not more #bloodycyclists: Social media intern slammed for 'asking to be hit' tweet1 year 5 weeks agooldstrath wrote:joemmo

    oldstrath wrote:
    joemmo wrote:
    So what's the aim here? Sharpen the pitchforks and start another twithunt with the aim of getting another idiot sacked just because, out of all the other stupid, vain, offensive and dangerous bile on the web, this one can be traced back to an employer?

    Honestly, this isn't news, it's opinion. It's opinions about opinions. It's crap.


    For preference, sacked, charged with inciting violence and her licence to drive revoked.

    No! No! No! No! No! [God. I sound like that bloody cat on the internet!*] What would that achieve? Just another bitter, twisted, cyclist hating idiot who stands up in the pub pontificating about bloody cyclists this and bloody cyclist that. These morons have to be educated and encouraged to be civilised human beings. We need friends and allies; we already have enough enemies.

    *In case your wondering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRX6LXDpWs

  • Not more #bloodycyclists: Social media intern slammed for 'asking to be hit' tweet1 year 5 weeks agojoemmo wrote:So what's the

    joemmo wrote:
    So what's the aim here? Sharpen the pitchforks and start another twithunt with the aim of getting another idiot sacked just because, out of all the other stupid, vain, offensive and dangerous bile on the web, this one can be traced back to an employer?

    Honestly, this isn't news, it's opinion. It's opinions about opinions. It's crap.


    For preference, sacked, charged with inciting violence and her licence to drive revoked.

  • ITT1 year 5 weeks ago1/4/7/12/19 not good enough.

    1/4/7/12/19 not good enough.

  • Earphones on cyclists: Yea or Nay?1 year 5 weeks agoSo, being stone deaf means

    So, being stone deaf means you can't safely ride your bike, or drive, or walk along the street?

    Just how much can the driver of an articulated lorry hear when he is sitting in his cab, 3m up in the air, with the engine noise and radio one with the windows up, or a car driver with the radio on?

  • Transport Research Laboratory: Mandatory helmet laws “prevent head and brain injuries”1 year 5 weeks agoThe main author of this

    The main author of this report, Richard Cuerden, was part of the much more comprehensive TRL report of 2009, which could find no evidence of helmet effectiveness. The new report says that it used the previous report as a reference, but the question has to be why was another report required when a comprehensive review had already been carried out and reached a valid conclusion? Obviously because it reached the wrong conclusion. It seems that TRL might not be quite so as independent as people think.

    The report was paid for by Jersey politicians, and the outcome was decided before finger hit keyboard.

    TRL used to have standards, now they just count the money.

    Yet another report that will be held up as proving that helmets are effective, when it was just an exercise in justifying a decision already taken and has no scientific validity.

  • Video: Ninja skills cyclist lands on feet in miracle escape after being hit by car that cuts across him1 year 5 weeks agoAye. Great post, Quince. Take

    Aye. Great post, Quince. Take all my likes.

  • Earphones on cyclists: Yea or Nay?1 year 5 weeks agoContrast and compare. a)

    Contrast and compare.

    a) Cyclist privately listening to their choice of music through headphones.
    b) W**k*r in car inflicting his choice of Drum & Base on the world at a volume that is causing his eardrums to meet in the middle as there is bugger all in the way to stop them.

    a) Cyclist privately listening to their choice of music through headphones whilst still being aware of their surroundings.
    b) W**k*r in car inflicting his choice of Drum & Base on the world at a volume ... with the windows wound up and completely oblivious to the world at large or the screams of his victims.

    Personally I don't wear headphones, not because of safety concerns but for the simple reason I don't find in-ear phones or 'cans' comfortable when riding. If you chose to wear them that's up to you; just so long as your aware of my presence. That's all I ask. Be safe!

  • ITT1 year 5 weeks ago123467 and Majka, who can do

    123467 and Majka, who can do better. Was expecting more from Kyrienka as well, but Sky have been rubbish. No fight left! They should have gone for Nieve as their second choice GC, maybe he'll get a chance in La Vuelta if Froome isn't fit. He could top 10 with support.

  • Video: Ninja skills cyclist lands on feet in miracle escape after being hit by car that cuts across him1 year 5 weeks ago"I didn't get hit by a

    "I didn't get hit by a vehicle today, unlike this chap, which is clear evidence of my superiority as a human being and right to existence" - There's a really icky logic behind these sorts of posts. It's as though people will do anything do assert that the reason they haven't suffered the bad fortune of another is because they are intrinsically more 'skilful' or apt in some regard that the unfortunate person isn't. It's a vulturous habit of using other's misfortune to feed one's fragile ego.

    The existence of persecuted people who condemn other equally persecuted people is hardly new or rare. It's always easier to define oneself by the established system - even if one is demeaned by it - than to subvert it. It's why you get that one anxious guy who hangs with the cool kids despite being constantly abused. It's the moral of the brother who runs away with the White Witch in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and it's the reason why women can be just as sexist as men, and in the same direction. And it never gets any less horrible.

    It's one thing to be hit by a car, despite being within one's rights. It's another thing to be hit by a car, despite being within one's rights, and then be scorned by a legion of other cyclists making vague assertions that one somehow 'deserved it' for not being as savvy and clever as they are.

    Greater things than can be achieved with a united front than with snide internal bickering. And a little sympathy can't hurt along the way.