• Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agobadkneestom wrote: Forum in

    badkneestom wrote:

    Forum in mobile just plain doesn't work, only see OPs

    what phone are you using? works fine for me is why i ask

  • Suspended sentence for motorist who used car "as a weapon" to knock cyclist off bike1 year 7 weeks agoIt genuinely feels like the

    It genuinely feels like the only thing that might bring any change is for a politician's child to be killed when riding. As and when this happens I'll be writing to them to ensure the driver receives 3 points and 120 hour's community service...

  • Pharmaceutical consultant who killed cyclist while driving on wrong side of road cleared of careless driving1 year 7 weeks agoThis is just appalling,

    This is just appalling, though not sadly that surprising. As some of the other posts have mentioned, many motorists when faced with a choice of aborting their stupid and dangerous manoeuvre or putting a cyclist at risk invariably go for the latter option, forgetting the fact that cyclists don't have roll cages, airbags, seat belts or any protective features at all.
    IMHO, this woman should be banned. She doesn't deserve to be on the road if she makes callous judgements like this. One wonders if she had been sampling her own pharmecutical products beforehand as surely no rational person would make such a judgement call!

  • Chris Boardman interview: Bikes, Halfords, Pat McQuaid & changing the world1 year 7 weeks agoChris for czar! Since reading

    Chris for czar! Since reading Ned's anecdotes about him, I've really warmed to him.

  • Customers bid farewell to London bike shop WF Holdsworth after 86 years1 year 7 weeks agoIs it anything to do with the

    Is it anything to do with the fact that Planet X have a whole load of Holdsworth stuff now ?

  • Peugeot Frame - Rebuild help1 year 7 weeks agoThere is a good Facebook site

    There is a good Facebook site called 'Cycles Peugeot' who are very friendly and are a mine of information.
    I have details somewhere of an on-line Peugeot site that has specs and pictures of Peugeot bikes going back years that could help you identify what you have and also a site that does replica decals. Can't put my finger on them at the moment but PM me if you're interested and I'll try and sort them out this evening.

  • Pharmaceutical consultant who killed cyclist while driving on wrong side of road cleared of careless driving1 year 7 weeks agoIts difficult to truly tell

    Its difficult to truly tell what I would do if this had been my partner. But I would be tempted to buy car and kill her with it.
    I hope her children realise how vial she is showing no remorse.

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agoWow, it doesn't happen too

    Wow, it doesn't happen too often that a new layout doesn't make me say 'what the heck?!', which is great Wink Evolutionary, but not revolutionary (as there was no need for a revolution).

    I very much like the new colours and more spacing between letters in headlines. Personally I'd go for sans-serif fonts exclusively (OK, maybe with an exception for article titles and leads, but content should surely be written in sans-serif IMHO) but it's not a big reason to complain.

    The only thing I kind of dislike is the removal of the news carousel on the main page. It was kinda cool - maybe you could consider bringing it back?

    Overall, job well done!

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agoI'd say front page is a

    I'd say front page is a little too vertical, but overall well done. Too much was going on before.

    Forum in mobile just plain doesn't work, only see OPs

    Edit: and you have news, top stories, and today's stories as 3/4 first sections on page. I'd say bring reviews up, maybe eliminate/consolidate a news section. Seems redundant now.

  • Cambridgeshire cyclist ignores warnings... and just manages to brake before train speeds through1 year 7 weeks agostumps wrote:Farrell - do you

    stumps wrote:
    Farrell - do you honestly expect myself and others to believe that because there is only one barrier then the other side is safe ????

    Obviously nobody would ever think that.

    Nobody.

    Ever.

    Except the person that is the reason for this thread and several others that have been cleaned out attempting such things.

    jova54 wrote:
    Or perhaps you do because you really are that stupid. D Oh

    I've no idea who lobbed a peanut your way, but yes, I am that stupid. In fact, I was killed on a level crossing only three weeks ago, I've just come back to haunt you.

  • MPs criticise 2014 Northern Ireland Giro d’Italia route but McQuaid says you can’t please everybody1 year 7 weeks agoThe Rumpo Kid wrote:Al__S

    The Rumpo Kid wrote:
    Al__S wrote:
    Can I pipe up and suggest that they maybe have a point? When dealing with a city as, erm, "emotionally fraught" as Belfast some senstivity for the divided (and otherwise) communities is probably in order, if just to try to make sure it's not you the whining aresholes are whining about

    The SDLP's position is that the Giro should pass through West Belfast, not just the Falls Road. I suspect the people who want to "sell" Belfast to foreign investors are just as anxious that TV cameras do not show the Unionist murals on the Shankill as the Republican ones on the Falls. Instead they choose to concentrate on Belfast's less recent history, i.e making an ocean liner that was structurally defective.

    Both Belfast stages will be cutting through some pretty sensitive areas both loyalist and republican. Odds are pretty high that the tv cameras will not pick up background murals on these occasions. I would probably go as far to say that flags and bunting will be removed for the weekend in those same areas.

  • English Cycles 5.8kg carbon and steel superbike1 year 7 weeks agoWhy is it on the small ring?

    Why is it on the small ring?

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agoFirst impressions after the

    First impressions after the what the feck! I like it. The home page does feel a bit claustrophobic / busy though. Probably get used to that. Like the way I can choose the order of comments. Need to have a go with my phone to get a better feel as that is my main platform for looking at the site.

  • US cyclocross rider Amy Dombroski killed by lorry while training in Belgium1 year 7 weeks agoSuch sad news today, she was

    Such sad news today, she was a great character.

    It just proves, wherever, however or whatever you ride. Nobody is 100% safe out there. Always take the most care you can of yourself and others you ride with Sad

    It was with some joy I read in Amy's own words, this story today. Because of things that didn't happen, she got to be home with her family only last month and by the sounds of it, spent some quality time with them. While its sad that anyone dies. She was doing what she loved and had recently spent some time with her family.

    http://www.amydombroski.com/site/my-words/2013-blogs

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agoThe one thing that I'm glad

    The one thing that I'm glad has seen no change (hopefully until the off season) is the fantasy game, with only a couple of races left. Its maybe better to keep it as is Wink

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agoi'm off to bed though. it

    i'm off to bed though. it looks like it might not fall over, i guess we'll see...

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agooh there'll be all sorts of

    oh there'll be all sorts of things need attention, probably. keep 'em coming Smile

  • Road.cc new look discussion thread1 year 7 weeks agoI haven't had a scan around

    I haven't had a scan around the whole site yet, but the forum needs a little adjusting, its made it very compact, with ad's and stories and everything else over there >>>> on the right, squeezing all this to the left.

    Colour's don't bother me, it could be pink and green for all I care.

    As long as it works, that's what matters and can be improved upon.

    At least the smiley's still work Devil Day Dreaming Applause Laughing Silly Love Struck Thinking Waiting Wave Wink Rolling On The Floor Sick Big Grin

  • Chris Boardman interview: Bikes, Halfords, Pat McQuaid & changing the world1 year 7 weeks agoI think it all depends on the

    I think it all depends on the branch of Halfords. I bought a CX from them and their mechanic PDI'd it in front of me. He took a lot of time setting the bike up and definitely knew what he was doing.

    Ended up in there because the service from one of my LBS was shocking and the Boardman ticked all the boxes.

    I think the problem is there is a lot of 'stigma' of buying a bike from Halfords rather than a 'proper' bike shop.

  • Chris Boardman interview: Bikes, Halfords, Pat McQuaid & changing the world1 year 7 weeks agomichophull wrote:What exactly

    michophull wrote:
    What exactly is " a no-brainer" when it's at home ? Does it mean the same as "brainless" because that's what it sounds like to me ? Nerd

    The expression is from the American Colonies. It's been around for about 20 years and means that a choice is so simple to make a brain is not required. You're either having a laugh or been locked in Narnia since 1988.

    Uncle Chris? Pop over to Liverpool. We need your help and you know Big Joe's Boris bikes are not the answer.

  • Chris Boardman interview: Bikes, Halfords, Pat McQuaid & changing the world1 year 7 weeks agoGreat interview I agree with

    Great interview I agree with everything he said about everyday cycling and the government.

    But Halfords D Oh No, no I just cannot bring myself to do it, after several of my work mates bought through the cycle to work scheme and had horror stories about how the bikes had been built and set up. I'll stick to my local, and trusted, bike shop. DC Cycles in Ulverton, Cumbria. When your plunging down Honister Pass it's a very bad time to discover the "spotty teenager at Halfords didn't actually know what he was doing.

  • Chris Boardman interview: Bikes, Halfords, Pat McQuaid & changing the world1 year 7 weeks agoThere's something about

    There's something about Chris boardman I find fascinating! Above all else he's clearly a cyclist who wants to see more people enjoying the sport as much as he does, whether it's in competition or not doesn't really matter! Bet he could spin a yarn or two out on the club run!

    Getting back to the bikes, I own three boardman bikes, two of which are from the halfords range I would buy another tomorrow if I thought the mrs wouldn't leave me! I'll also tell anyone who'll listen how great they are! I know what people mean about the service from halfords, but no one really goes there expecting the LBS experience do they! I've tended to only go back if I have no choice and usually do any work my self or take it to my LBS.

    Now...wonder if she'd approve if I sold the mountain bike for a cross bike.....???

  • Pharmaceutical consultant who killed cyclist while driving on wrong side of road cleared of careless driving1 year 7 weeks agoCourts and Justice system in

    Angry Courts and Justice system in this country are all for drivers!!! If things dont start changing cyclist will have to take law into their own hands. Bloody ridiclous!!! If this was a cyclist who killed a pedestrian doing te other way, im sure they'll be no bloddy hesistation and the cyclist would be charged for manslaughter. Angry

  • Chris Boardman interview: Bikes, Halfords, Pat McQuaid & changing the world1 year 7 weeks ago"I couldn't care less if

    "I couldn't care less if someone wants to ride a racer, I’d just like to see people riding bikes." Applause

    Well Said Chris Boardman. few of his bikes added to my wishlist. Great interview btw

  • Peugeot Frame - Rebuild help1 year 7 weeks agoI refurbished a Peugeot last

    I refurbished a Peugeot last year. They are a bit of a pain to get parts for because, as you say, they are differently sized to standard frames.

    Most threaded parts are metric, but it does depend on the year.

    Bottom brackets are usually French or Swiss. You can get new French threaded BBs but not Swiss - the solution there is to use a Velo Orange threadless BB, which I can recommend. Their stuff is generally really good actually.

    Headset will quite likely be 24mm, rather than 1". Again, Velo Orange make one of those.

    I found the really tricky bit to be the seatpost. These are often odd sizes - I just could not get a replacement. Luckily, the one I had was ok, and could be re-used.

    It's possible to use modern bits on an old frame, although purists will frown upon it. Assuming it's steel, you can re-space the rear forks to take 130mm wide hubs (standard for modern wheels). I fitted 700c wheels rather than 27", which meant a surprising amount of mucking around to get the original brakes to work.

    Velo Orange and Brick Lane Bikes make a lot of nice bits you can put onto an older bike that will look right.