• USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 23 weeks agoPaul J wrote: L'Equipe joined

    Paul J wrote:

    L'Equipe joined the dots and broke the story, but the story is about serious analytical research work done by scientists working on EPO testing. To say this was just a newspaper investigation is somewhat odd - you could dismiss anything that way, just cause a newspaper reports on it!

    that's not really what i'm saying, and i don't think your last point bears scrutiny; as the report you linked to outlines, it was l'Equipe who linked the positives, which were in essence a research project, to Armstrong. The UCI and WADA fell out about whether to investigate and whose mandate it was, in part due to the way in which the information came to light; the research may have been serious and analytical, but it wasn't conducted with the aim of catching anyone in particular. Things got a bit messy, as you say.

    As I think Tygart makes clear, there's no confusion regarding the test results and the evidence as far as USADA are concerned, and a clear mandate to investigate, not clouded by the manner in which the evidence appeared. That's what has been missing from previous investigations, and that was my point; sorry if it wasn't clear and I wasn't belittling the research.

  • Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up1 year 23 weeks agodrheaton wrote: On the other

    drheaton wrote:

    On the other hand, if it turns out the UCI took bribes or covered up doping and continue to cover that up or McQuaid is in full knowledge of this then that changes things. You can't blame them for trying to preserve a governing body which is finally making progress against doping though, but to find out the UCI were complicit would be a body blow and set the sport back years. Someone, whether that's the current regime or the past, would need to be held accountable but I still don't see how you can blame McQuaid for things that happened a decade before he became president.


    Lance Armstrong made "donations" totalling $125,000 (that we know about) to the UCI. When Floyd Landis told the media of this, Hein Verbruggen (current Vice President) called him a "liar". Pat McQuaid has since said that taking the money may have been a "mistake".

    Question: If the money was not a bribe, why did the UCI originally deny recieving it?

  • Why must cyclists behave before they get bike paths?1 year 23 weeks agohandlebarcam wrote: ...Range

    handlebarcam wrote:

    ...Range Rovers - which were rare twenty years ago, but they and their imitators are common now - have expanded by about half a road bike's width, to the point where there are many rural roads on which they take up every last centimeter of tarmac. Even if you gave up your legal right of way, and took to the verge, you'd still risk getting slapped by the wing mirrors (also designed to look chunky and butch, and filled with heavy electric motors.)...

    Hmmm, interesting point this. Since I was a kid, the ever-stricter safety regulations have been a big part of ballooning car design. NCAP safety ratings, side impact bars, crumple zones, more airbags than a strip club, and, indeed, EU-regulation mirror sizes (no, really!). Of course, the EU safety regs apply across the EU though.

    Not sure where to go with this line of thinking now -

    1. Why isn't vehicle size an increasing problem on the continent? (Assuming it isn't)
    2. The drive for increased vehicle safety is about more than just drivers - car specification and manufacture is an arms war of one-upmanship, aided and abetted by 'government calls for mandatory [insert safety feature here]' and burgeoning minimum safety standards.

    It's also a double-edged sword - those same safety regs have also given us such gems as ABS brakes, which have probably saved a few of us, in addition to all the occupant lives saved.

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoGRRR this makes me so angry

    Angry GRRR this makes me so angry Angry ....maybe that's just because I'm a cyclist though

  • Road racing?1 year 23 weeks ago"fly down the hill and

    "fly down the hill and through the 'town' at speeds well over 30mph" Your words. I suggested this was an exaggeration. If I was to claim that I rode up a 30 metre climb in 1 km (1:300 average gradient?) people would die laughing! People cannot resist exaggerating whether it is speed or gradient! Next time I am in Princetown I will fly down the "hill" and see how fast I go; if I can get to "well over 30mph" I will put a pint behind the bar of The Plume of Feathers for you, how is that?

  • Norman Baker: Would-be cyclists are put off by safety concerns1 year 23 weeks agoQuote:Article on bbc about

    Quote:
    Article on bbc about head cam cyclist, showing some of his near misses. Essex police comment that they have seen some footage but haven't seen any evidence of any offences being committed.

    Most cars will have these cameras fairly soon. In Taiwan, many already do. Insurance companies value the evidence. I wonder if they'd also value the ability to raise premiums of those filmed driving like idiots? No idea if this is possible, but if so, I'm sure they would.

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoI think online Eds have

    I think online Eds have spotted a method of driving page traffic.. ignore the trolls. But if you can't, well it's worth a read for being a particularly crap 'oh such edgy comments' column )

  • Why must cyclists behave before they get bike paths?1 year 23 weeks agoOver the last 10/15 years the

    Over the last 10/15 years the road planners responsible for Manchester have embarked on a fairly extensive programme of change, all apparently designed to slow the motorised traffic. Narrowing of roads/widening of pavements, removal of lay-bys for bus-stops, traffic islands next to the bus stops to prevent other vehicles overtaking, etc etc. These also seem to deliberately place the cyclist into the main flow of traffic, also presumably with the intent of decreasing speeds.

    This does indicate that with a different aim, the available space on the road could be used differently. I don't argue that we have some narrow roads where this simply isn't viable, but for many of the roads into the city this could be looked at properly.

  • Has Phil Liggett lost it?1 year 23 weeks agoHe is blind to the truth,

    He is blind to the truth, just like mysogynist snapper Graham Watson. Both have made so much money out of Lance The Liar that they can't cope with reality.

    Liggett's apparent senility was discussed here before the Olympics.

  • USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 23 weeks agoDave, The 6 positives were

    Dave,

    The 6 positives were not a story by a newspaper. They are acknowledged results from a WADA accredited lab, and official UCI paperwork. There is extensive documentation from WADA and UCI on these tests. WADA, the lab that did the testing, and other scientists involved in anti-doping such as Dr Michael Ashenden vouch for the validity of the analytical results, while the UCI has acknowledged the validity of the paperwork that connects the positive samples to Armstrong.

    There was a lot of back and forth between WADA and UCI over whether Armstrong should be sanctioned. Much to WADAs public chagrin, with Dick Pound becoming publically critical of UCIs' anti-doping efforts, UCI were very reluctant to do anything about these positives. In the main Verbruggen's UCI reacted by questioning the motives of anyone involved in the allegations (L'Equipe, WADA). The UCI did commission a lawyer to write a report for them on the Armstrong '04 EPO positives. WADAs' response to it is informative: http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/wada_official_statement_vrijman_report.pdf. UCI even sued Dick Pound.

    L'Equipe joined the dots and broke the story, but the story is about serious analytical research work done by scientists working on EPO testing. To say this was just a newspaper investigation is somewhat odd - you could dismiss anything that way, just cause a newspaper reports on it!

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoComrade wrote:It's all a load

    Comrade wrote:
    It's all a load of bollox...however, I am a cyclist and a motorist, but guess what I hate most cyclists. The reason is because typically they (from what I've seen) do jump red lights, do ride on pavements, will insist on always riding abreast, hardly ever stop to let cars by on narrow lanes, very rarely indicate to turn and seldom return a greeting when you are cycling or running yourself. Thats just me though and my opinion!

    I must admit though, cycling has made me a better motorist!

    What a strange comment? Riding 2 abreast is legal, I would have hoped that you as a 'cyclist' would know that. Every week on our club run we will get at least one car overtaking us shouting abuse claiming its illegal to ride two abreast. As for pulling in on narrow lanes we do that too but at a convenient time, you would think that following a group for a couple of mins until a convenient place to pull in was the end of the world!

    The pavement and red light comments clearly aren't true, but even if they were I wouldn't 'hate' the wrongdoers, or all cyclist for that matter.

    Coincidently I drive a car too, what are the chances eh?

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoWater off a duck's back. I'd

    Water off a duck's back. I'd be more worried if I ever found myself agreeing with a Telegraph columnist!

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoAn open letter to Ms

    An open letter to Ms Etheridge:

    Dear Jan,

    If the above is what you call a good use of your time then we won't be sad when you stop. What a bile-filled waste of space you are. Thanks,

    The human race.

  • Has Phil Liggett lost it?1 year 23 weeks agoOh the irony - 'Previously,

    Oh the irony - 'Previously, on Ballz'

    If lance were racing today, what's the betting Phil would get his name wrong?

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoOldRidgeback wrote:Here we go

    OldRidgeback wrote:
    Here we go again.

    Who will complain to the PCC this time? Got stuff to do alas, otherwise I'd do it.

    email already winging through the ether of cyberspace Devil

  • Why must cyclists behave before they get bike paths?1 year 23 weeks agoandyp wrote:'We have the

    andyp wrote:
    'We have the space, on ALL our roads'

    WTF? We really don't. We hardly have the room for a single car on a lot of our roads.


    Whose fault is that? Take the Mini, for example. There are now models of the Mini which are so much wider than the original, that if you parked the old and the new nose to tail, with one side lined up against a wall, you could lean a road bike against the old one, and it would be completely obscured by the new one, when viewed end-on. And that is still considered a "small" car. Range Rovers - which were rare twenty years ago, but they and their imitators are common now - have expanded by about half a road bike's width, to the point where there are many rural roads on which they take up every last centimeter of tarmac. Even if you gave up your legal right of way, and took to the verge, you'd still risk getting slapped by the wing mirrors (also designed to look chunky and butch, and filled with heavy electric motors.) Not to mention all the streets half-filled with parked cars these days, because people want to live in renovated "character" cottages and terraces, but don't want to be without the motorcars that their former occupants lacked.

    And yet, who gets accused of being inconsiderate road hogs? Cyclists. Especially ones who don't ride in the gutter (and even sometimes those who do) or - gasp - ride two abreast (which is usually twice the number of people in the car behind.) That's what people mean by lycra louts - people who subvert the driver's innate sense of entitlement to travel at whatever speed they want.

  • USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 23 weeks agoPaul J wrote: To say that

    Paul J wrote:

    To say that there's been no test-based evidence to date suggests the reporter has overlooked some of the biggest stories in the Armstrong saga! Smile

    what i said was that investigations have lacked documentary evidence. a story by a newspaper is not really an investigation, detailed though some of the allegations have been. however, this investigation looks like it might tie some of those threads together.

  • Road racing?1 year 23 weeks agoDarthshearer wrote:It

    Darthshearer wrote:
    It shouldnt be allowed and the local club should have a serious bollocking. Racing isnt allowed on the open roads.

    Is this true? I'm pretty sure its not. Certainly isn't on the Isle of Man where I race, we pretty much exclusively race on open roads, road races, time trials, hill climbs. I'm sure when I've raced in the UK roads have been open?

    Back to original question, Its usually fine as most races are on quiet circuits but occasionally there are issues with riders crossing the white line, especially when it comes to the sprint. In reality we don't have much of a choice, closing roads is an expensive job, the cost and effort would kill grass roots racing.

  • Norman Baker: Would-be cyclists are put off by safety concerns1 year 23 weeks agoWould- be cyclists are also

    Would- be cyclists are also put off by morons like the columnist in the Telegraph.

    Her teeth need fixing - probably because of all the poisonous bile that comes out.

    Texting while at the wheel can be illegal even if the car is stationary at traffic lights. It depends on whether the engine is running and the vehicle is in gear.

  • Whipgate - So Andrew Mitchell was told not to use the Vehicle gate on his bike...1 year 23 weeks agoHave to agree with stumps,

    Have to agree with stumps, this is a story about an arrogant toff who thinks he's better than the 'common man'' and who threatened to use his influence against a policeman to try and get his own way. I don't see the reason behind turning this into another 'cyclists are a discriminated against minority' story. There's plenty of stories that fit that bill.without having to co-opt this one.

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoHere we go again. Who will

    Here we go again.

    Who will complain to the PCC this time? Got stuff to do alas, otherwise I'd do it.

  • USADA's Travis Tygart received three death threats during Armstrong case1 year 23 weeks agoI love the 'thirty times'

    I love the 'thirty times' worse quote. Who measures it - and how I wonder? As an old cynic I can only imagine the facts on Armstrong to be 25% worse that the current rumours. . Maybe he's an international war criminal, strangled kittens for kicks on the team bus, and is a close personal friend of Chris Moyles?? Even such sick revelations as that would only take me up to 50%. Thinking

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoLooking at the picture it's

    Looking at the picture it's not really surprising that only rotten things would come out of that mouth. Sick

  • Whipgate - So Andrew Mitchell was told not to use the Vehicle gate on his bike...1 year 23 weeks agoEdgeley, yes its a road and

    Edgeley, yes its a road and yes he has every right to be there and of course there is nothing wrong with using his bike.

    However when a gate is available to use and he is told by Police - not little old mrs canny body - that he cant use the main gate just accept it and go on his way instead of being a foul mouthed prat.

    The whole incident is not about using bikes on roads or not being allowed to use your bike its all to do with him trying to use his influence as a minister over the Police to get what he wants and when he doesn't he produces a string of foul mouthed abuse at the very people who he would expect to come running to his aid if the "shit hit the fan". Thats what its about, the bike is inconsequential in all this.

  • Jan Etherington: Because of Andrew Mitchell it's okay to hate cyclists again1 year 23 weeks agoComrade wrote:It's all a load

    Comrade wrote:
    It's all a load of bollox...however, I am a cyclist and a motorist, but guess what I hate most cyclists. The reason is because typically they (from what I've seen) do jump red lights, do ride on pavements, will insist on always riding abreast, hardly ever stop to let cars by on narrow lanes, very rarely indicate to turn and seldom return a greeting when you are cycling or running yourself. Thats just me though and my opinion!

    I must admit though, cycling has made me a better motorist!

    "Hate..."

    "Typically they..."

    Oh dear.