• Brits are spending more on bikes - but buying fewer of them1 year 4 weeks agoIt would be be interesting to

    It would be be interesting to know the stats for the average lifespan of a cycle purchased in the UK. However this figure is likely to be hard, if not impossible, to discover.

    In this context, I recall a curious factoid in relation to amateur power tools: the typical usage time for an amateur's electric drill is 20 mins before it is junked. No idea how this figure (US stat) was arrived at.

    Some of us have some very old bikes, serviceable even if seldom used now. But I doubt that today's £233 bicycle will see much use before it is scrapped.

  • Cambridge 100 / 50 bike ride1 year 4 weeks agoRode this today. The route

    Rode this today.
    The route was excellent, avoiding busy roads and meandering through the Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Norfolk countryside.
    Weather was nice, and the start location seemed professional and organised, with chip timing and helpful staff.
    However they have sadly yet to publish the results/times, and it is not even obvious where those who have entered can find them.
    Refreshment stops mean that you can refill your bottle with water and buy food. I'd like to see some sugary fluids/sweets provided for free, even if more substantial food is paid for.
    I guess that improvements to either would make the event more acceptable, but I couldn't recommend it as it is.

  • Problem with access1 year 4 weeks agoJAndrewHill wrote:Has anyone

    JAndrewHill wrote:
    Has anyone tried pulling the plug, count to ten, and plug it in again?
    If that doesn't work, its done a Dan Martin!

    Dan Martin is back riding again

  • Aldi Cycling Gear for Summer1 year 4 weeks agoHaha, the pdf filename says

    Haha, the pdf filename says 2014 so presumably it's a typo? Sack the copy checker! D Oh

    It's good that both days are Sundays. Weekdays make it impossible for me to get there early.

  • Packing away the Winter kit1 year 4 weeks agoThis winter in Glasgow was

    This winter in Glasgow was utterly miserable.

    Mostly, it hovered a couple of degrees above zero and rained every day with the exception of the 8th of February.

    My beloved Gaerne winter boots now stink because they didn't properly dry out for three months.

    Obviously, it's never like this in Glasgow normally. We're all doomed.

  • Romandie1 year 4 weeks agoI don't think Kwiatkowski is

    I don't think Kwiatkowski is doing Romandie.

  • Riders banned from New Forest sportives for urinating in public1 year 4 weeks agoTry Israel (Tel Aviv), where

    Try Israel (Tel Aviv), where whole vans/buses stop at the roadside so that en mass pissing can take place...and Israelis think nothing of stopping and taking a piss into the road/gutter on a night walk home from the pub

  • Driver who killed teen cyclist sues his family - because "her enjoyment of life... has been lessened"1 year 4 weeks agoIn this country the Highway

    In this country the Highway Code paragraph 126 says

    "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear."

    I would be surprised if the Canadian equivalent did not say the same. It is a basic safety idea. The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea say something pretty similar about fog navigation.
    This does not mean, keep going at speed unless you see an obstacle, but, if you cannot see that there is nothing within your stopping distance, then slow down. Basic common sense. There might be something a bit solider than cyclists in the road. A fallen tree or broken down lorry for instance.
    We all know that many drivers do not obey this rule. There is much advice to cyclists to make themselves conspicuous with hiviz. It is seldom accompanied with advice to drivers to obey rule 126.
    If this woman had obeyed this basic safety rule she would not be feeling so upset at having killed.
    Isn't this a weakness in her case?

  • Aldi Cycling Gear for Summer1 year 4 weeks agoNew list will be up on the

    New list will be up on the website soon or download the app. Get there early though!! Tends to go fast. Don't need much this time but I'll see what's available just in case.

  • Romandie1 year 4 weeks agoenrique wrote:Gkam84

    enrique wrote:
    Gkam84 wrote:
    Dave's bumped it up...

    Dave's more reasonable than you are...

    Gkam84 wrote:
    ... the game is getting far to[o] easy...

    Why would you say that? Thinking Even if I managed to place my team 3 times in the Top 10 in the 3 most recent competitions, I wouldn't say this game is too easy... I think your standards for what's easy and hard are off with respect to this game... I may be wrong, but I can't see anyone else saying this game is 'getting far too easy'... I may be wrong, of course... Thinking

    Dave, I've got a compelling reason to raise the budget to 151.3. My Dream Team for Stage 1. See below Smile

    40.0 Christopher Froome
    28.8 Tejay Van Garderen
    37.8 Michal Kwiatkowski
    29.7 Tony Martin
    3.0
    3.0
    3.0
    3.0
    3.0

    I will pay for your premium membership next year if those 4 riders make up the top 4 on stage 1! (stage 6 maybe your talking but not stage 1)

    I have 1 of those, but plenty of other great picks to be had for stage 1 that come well in budget.

  • Cyclist reunited with £7k Colnago - three years after it was stolen1 year 4 weeks agodunnoh, Your friend shouldn't

    dunnoh,

    Your friend shouldn't have accepted the caution, based on that account. He's now effectively got a criminal record, for something which - if there was clear evidence he took the laptop pretty much straight from the thief to the station off his own bat - would be unlikely to have led to a conviction if taken before a magistrate.

  • Chamois cream ... Idiots guide1 year 4 weeks agoHave tried a variety of

    Have tried a variety of different brands but keep going back to Assos. Seems to have the "right" texture and there's nothing like that fresh feeling when you step out the door having just applied it (maybe it's the witch hazel that gives it that tingle).

    There was a good article on cycling news many years ago (2006) by Keith Bontrager (you can google it) on the subject. As well as a cheap home made variety ("a large vat of petroleum jelly with some antibiotic ointment and some pain reliever") he gives tips on how much to use (basically, lots: "[s]mear the stuff onto the chamois in a large quantity - three fingers worth, minimum. It should feel weird when you put you shorts on. That won't matter. But you want it to last all day, so you need a lot. That's why I don't want to use any expensive Swiss stuff. It would cost a fortune.").

  • Aldi Cycling Gear for Summer1 year 4 weeks agoI was hoping that Aldi would

    I was hoping that Aldi would get their bike stuff in soon, I need new mitts, but it seems that I'm almost a year too late.

  • Driver who killed teen cyclist sues his family - because "her enjoyment of life... has been lessened"1 year 4 weeks agoOutrageous. I hope she loses

    Outrageous. I hope she loses and has to pay costs which will bankrupt her.

  • Riders banned from New Forest sportives for urinating in public1 year 4 weeks agoHaving a slash is public is

    Having a slash is public is not on.

    Go in the trees...like in a Forest.

    If the slashing was done in a widely accessible area...come on people, have a word with yourselves

  • Etxeondo Trier TX short sleeve jersey1 year 4 weeks agoNo way are my arms going to

    No way are my arms going to fit in those sleeves Wink

  • Has Boris Bike price hike put off London’s cycle hire users?1 year 4 weeks agoThere are now Brompton Docks

    There are now Brompton Docks open and operating at Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, and Ealing Broadway - go online and book - casual membership £1/year daily hire £5 or regular user £20 and £2.50.

    Bromptons have been on hire in London for commuters since 2009 - 1 year before Boris Bikes, and quietly delivering what the BCH pricing structure and operating system fail to do The BCH system is not designed for cycling between station and work but the Abellio Bike&Go - now at 15 stations in Essex is the way to deliver bikes with rail commuting, and can be set up as long as you have a staffed ticket window and bike parking outside, with as many bikes as required for the demand.

  • Has Boris Bike price hike put off London’s cycle hire users?1 year 4 weeks agoThere are now Brompton Docks

    There are now Brompton Docks open and operating at Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, and Ealing Broadway - go online and book - casual membership £1/year daily hire £5 or regular user £20 and £2.50.

    Bromptons have been on hire in London for commuters since 2009 - 1 year before Boris Bikes, and quietly delivering what the BCH pricing structure and operating system fail to do The BCH system is not designed for cycling between station and work but the Abellio Bike&Go - now at 15 stations in Essex is the way to deliver bikes with rail commuting, and can be set up as long as you have a staffed ticket window and bike parking outside, with as many bikes as required for the demand.

  • Has Boris Bike price hike put off London’s cycle hire users?1 year 4 weeks agoThere are now Brompton Docks

    There are now Brompton Docks open and operating at Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, and Ealing Broadway - go online and book - casual membership £1/year daily hire £5 or regular user £20 and £2.50.

    Bromptons have been on hire in London for commuters since 2009 - 1 year before Boris Bikes, and quietly delivering what the BCH pricing structure and operating system fail to do The BCH system is not designed for cycling between station and work but the Abellio Bike&Go - now at 15 stations in Essex is the way to deliver bikes with rail commuting, and can be set up as long as you have a staffed ticket window and bike parking outside, with as many bikes as required for the demand.

  • Has Boris Bike price hike put off London’s cycle hire users?1 year 4 weeks agoThere are now Brompton Docks

    There are now Brompton Docks open and operating at Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, and Ealing Broadway - go online and book - casual membership £1/year daily hire £5 or regular user £20 and £2.50.

    Bromptons have been on hire in London for commuters since 2009 - 1 year before Boris Bikes, and quietly delivering what the BCH pricing structure and operating system fail to do The BCH system is not designed for cycling between station and work but the Abellio Bike&Go - now at 15 stations in Essex is the way to deliver bikes with rail commuting, and can be set up as long as you have a staffed ticket window and bike parking outside, with as many bikes as required for the demand.

  • Simon Gerrans wins 100th edition of Liège-Bastogne-Liège1 year 4 weeks agoI thought Gerrans would win

    I thought Gerrans would win this one as he had a rest. But I also had Dan in my team and his fall probably cost me some sunglasses! Not much though compared to what it cost him but he obviously has good form so I'm sure he'll win some other things this year. But why did he go over? Did his pedal hit the ground or was he just leaning too much!!

  • Riders banned from New Forest sportives for urinating in public1 year 4 weeks agoGiven the efforts by certain

    Given the efforts by certain residents of the New Forest to prevent the event taking place, I suspect the organisers felt they had little choice but to take this action in an attempt to deny local nimbys ammunition. Smacks of desperate (and slightly pointless) after the event damage control.

    Without knowing all of the facts, stopping to piss next to facilities seems a bit stupid/selfish. I find it difficult to believe that anyone on start line was not aware of need to be on "best behaviour" given efforts of aforementioned nimbys. In my (admittedly limited) previous experience of Wiggle sponsored sportives you get a briefing at start line which covers things like this.

    I wouldn't want a collection of randoms stopping and pissing on my front lawn, but I don't have a problem with someone relieving themselves by the road side where road runs through woods (which I presume it does quite a bit in New Forest) or other public lands. Extra marks for trying to find some kind of foliage to shelter behind. But I don't think much of objections based on the fact that impressionable members of the public/children might spy genitalia - we've all got some (genitalia that is) and you can always choose to maintain eye contact to avoid being surprised.

    Laying the brown out of doors is well beyond the pale, however.

  • Driver who killed teen cyclist sues his family - because "her enjoyment of life... has been lessened"1 year 4 weeks agoDriving or cycling at night

    Driving or cycling at night is very dangerous.

    Under no circumstances should you be without lights (as a cyclist) or go over the speed limit (as a driver).

    Being a teenager isn't a great excuse for the former (although I've done it); being an adult is even less excuse for the latter (not done it so far).

    In fact it would be a good idea if all speed limits in all countries automatically became 20% less as soon as sunset occurs. I certainly drive at least 10% less faster than daylight and usually more than that.

    Roadcc has always reported accidents and issues related to them over the 3 years I've been on here. Sometimes I avoid reading them or even avoid roadcc altogether during the winter when there's no fantasy or anything very exciting to read. I usually read inrng then for my cycling fix. There is an element of sensationalism to it but in that regard they are merely reflecting the wider culture. I doubt that it puts off non-cyclists because they don't come here and those of us who cycle regularly know the real statistics and dangers. Even at that age I would never have cycled 3-abreast on a country road without lights. When I went back drunk from a friend's party at 4am I went on the pavement, although the police did me for it!! My only ever fine as a cyclist!

  • Romandie1 year 4 weeks agoarsene wrote:I agree with you

    arsene wrote:
    I agree with you Gkam. The budget for Romandie is quite right imo. I didn't like Trentino too much, because everyone had the five best riders. Rolling Eyes

    I think the budget for Trentino was set before the startlist was known, so in effect took into account riders such as Quintana, Nibali etc may have ridden (could be wrong on how the calculator works).

    However you still needed to have been paying attention to lesser cycling races to know that Meintjes was going well and likely to be the best 3 credit rider pick (unless you got lucky)

  • Simon Gerrans wins 100th edition of Liège-Bastogne-Liège1 year 4 weeks agoNot half as gutted as I was ,

    Not half as gutted as I was , backed valverde to win had £20 on him ! fools and their money ect ect .