- Invisible cyclists: Eye-tracking experiment finds drivers don't see more than 1 in 5 riders (+ video)1 year 11 weeks agoCertainly not a 'cure-all'
Certainly not a 'cure-all' for the problem but I make a point of trying to make eye contact with drivers at junctions - it's really incredible how much of a difference it makes in getting them to notice you!
- Invisible cyclists: Eye-tracking experiment finds drivers don't see more than 1 in 5 riders (+ video)1 year 11 weeks agoSo all that hi-vis fashion
So all that hi-vis fashion only works at 80% http://innercitymobility.blogspot.de/2013/04/london-fashion-visibility-i...
- Why don't you see Pro's eating bananas?1 year 11 weeks agoSlow news day, is it? This is
Slow news day, is it? This is a load of w@nk.
- FTA rejects calls to restrict movement of lorries in cities as minister confirms proposal being studied1 year 11 weeks ago"has rejected the idea that
"has rejected the idea that restrictions should be placed on lorries at busy times." - tough, it's the main solution.
- Tour de Romandie - Stage 21 year 11 weeks agoChaumont cat 2
Chaumont cat 2
- To Shave or Not To Shave1 year 11 weeks agoSee Guardian bike blog for a
See Guardian bike blog for a better debate on this topic. Coincidence that you guys have published a piece shortly after theirs?
- Tour de Romandie - Stage 21 year 11 weeks agoNah, if it comes down to a
Nah, if it comes down to a sprint, surely they'll ride for Blythe?
- Howies update Outback softshell1 year 11 weeks agoHowies UPDATES Outback
Howies UPDATES Outback softshell, I think you meant. Company names should always be singular. You guys do this all the time and it annoys me. And yes, my day job includes a lot of proof-reading so I'm paid to be a pedant.
- Tour de Romandie - Stage 21 year 11 weeks agodrheaton wrote:I picked andrheaton wrote:
I picked an IAM and BMC guy for the break today, got the wrong two guys though.
BMC were always going to feature today though as I think the route passes their HQ. Bookwalter/Blythe for the win?
....or Wyss, or Nerz...
- To Shave or Not To Shave1 year 11 weeks agoQuote:Do it or don't do itQuote:
Do it or don't do it for your own reasons. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Yawn
+1 for that sentiment
- Routes revealed for this summer's National Road & Time Trial Championships in Scotland +video1 year 11 weeks agoStewarton is not a huge hike
Stewarton is not a huge hike for me - but gods, I'd have to cross the Fenwick Moors! That's a fair bit of no fun.
- FTA rejects calls to restrict movement of lorries in cities as minister confirms proposal being studied1 year 11 weeks agoIn further shocking news,
In further shocking news, Turkeys vote against Christmas
- Invisible cyclists: Eye-tracking experiment finds drivers don't see more than 1 in 5 riders (+ video)1 year 11 weeks agoeuanlindsay wrote:Its alsoeuanlindsay wrote:
Its also worth noting that drivers are almost equally not noticing motorcyclists. I've always thought that drivers only look for big boxes of metal.
They will happily see a 'cyclist but just not register their existence.
"look for big boxes of metal"
You would think that would be the case but I know two people, one personally and the other a BBC radio presenter, who failed to notice a skip in the road and drove into it.
What chances do we cyclists have if there are drivers who cannot even see a skip!
- Invisible cyclists: Eye-tracking experiment finds drivers don't see more than 1 in 5 riders (+ video)1 year 11 weeks agofelixcat wrote:It would befelixcat wrote:
It would be interesting to do the experiment with cyclists. I would guess that cyclists are much less likely to fail to see motor vehicles. If so, why?
'cos they're bigger, and so less likely to fall into a 'saccade': http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/
- Banned driver pleads guilty to killing Bristol tandem couple1 year 11 weeks agoUnfeeling, inhuman scum
Unfeeling, inhuman scum
- Rapha offer personalised Team Sky replica jerseys1 year 11 weeks agoLooking forward to the
Looking forward to the release of replica, personalized Rapha/SKY helmets to allow the missing topic of protective headgear to be added to the tryptich of rapha, visibility and team kit that appear to result in so many spittle-flecked keyboards.
- Tour de Romandie - Stage 21 year 11 weeks agoHeres mine...
Christopher Froome (SKY)
Richie Porte (SKY)
Rui Alberto Faria Da Costa (MOV)
Andrew Talansky (GRM)
Giacomo Nizzolo (RSN)
Garikoitz Bravo (EUS)
Kenny Dehaes (LOT)
Marcel Wyss (IAM)
Sebastien Reichanbach (IAM)
Brought in Nizzolo and Bravo today
- Rapha offer personalised Team Sky replica jerseys1 year 11 weeks agoSimon E wrote:The Rumpo KidSimon E wrote:The Rumpo Kid wrote:
If you don't care, why did you make the assertion that Rapha can define what the word "replica" means in the first place? I would ask Rapha why they are ripping off the SKY fanbase by misrepresenting their product in this way, but I'm not too confident of a reply.
Pay attention, cloth-ears.
Rapha don't define the term "replica", that's what a dictionary is for. They can describe it as they wish, it will make no difference to me, and probably not to the people who consider buying one.
Are you some kind of self-appointed moral guardian for "the SKY fanbase"? The team's supporters are individuals who can surely decide for themselves.
"If Rapha say it's a replica, then yes, it's a replica" Sound familiar? Before you insult others you should look back over your own posts.
- Invisible cyclists: Eye-tracking experiment finds drivers don't see more than 1 in 5 riders (+ video)1 year 11 weeks agoi guess one solution is to
i guess one solution is to slow cars down, at least if they do hit something they will do it slowly and cause less damage.
bring back the red flag man!
- Drafting with the option of hospital1 year 11 weeks agoand he's not even wearing a
and he's not even wearing a hel ..... ok I'll shut up
- Giro D'Italia Fiorenzo Magni commemorative jersey now available1 year 11 weeks ago"[...] uses a 33% wool and 7%
"[...] uses a 33% wool and 7% polyester fabric."
Misprint for 67% or is there 60% of cotton or something else?
(can't risk browsing to prendas, as will only end up buying this or another shirt.)
- Rapha offer personalised Team Sky replica jerseys1 year 11 weeks agoDave Atkinson wrote:Quote:Dave Atkinson wrote:Quote:
You seem to be contradicting youself. Your "replicas" of the Statue of Liberty would look as much like the original as a t-shirt would look like a team jersey.
not really. a miniature statue can *look* exactly like the real thing, if made well. just smaller. But you wouldn't have to make it out of the same thing. A jersey doesn't look like a t-shirt, save for the fact that it's vaguely the same shape and colour. A marks and spencer business suit isn't a 'replica' of a Paul Smith suit just because they're nominally similar either. the replica sky jersey has been specifically designed to look like the pro team one. it's a replica for that reason.Quote:
My interpretation is that a genuine pro team jersey is one that has been issued to the pro team. A replica, although identical in every repect, has not. This is how sports memorabilia is generally advertised.
that's exactly what it is: your interpretation. your point seems to be that people are being deceived. they're not.
having spent some time working on this website in my past - www.footballmatchshirts.co.uk - i can reasonably confidently tell you that there's no such thing as a 'replica' football shirt that's identical in every respect to the ones the pros wear.
Yes there is. I own one. (Adidas 1992 Soviet Union, Sensible offers only.)
- Video: Point of view from the tallest of tall bikes1 year 11 weeks agoI've mentally logged it that
I've mentally logged it that he had some outriders ready to steady the ship should his route be compromised. I've had to do that else I'd have nightmares.
- Giro D'Italia Fiorenzo Magni commemorative jersey now available1 year 11 weeks agoMy immediate thought was that
My immediate thought was that Magni is a strange choice to celebrate, because of his fascist associations and divisive history - he was booed and heckled when he won in 1948. Also his three-in-a-row victories of the Tour of Flanders were perhaps his most notable achievement, not the Giro. But I see you've got all that side covered in the linked article, including a link to John Foot's excellent history of Italian cycling.
All that's left to say then is that I'm much happier with my Rapha Maglia Nera, which has arrived and is gorgeous, and of course has anti-fascist overtones (the black shirt was the uniform of the fascists, so putting a black shirt on the loser was a completely political statement in the Italy of the day).
- Tour de Romandie - Stage 21 year 11 weeks agoPinotti?